NC - Kathy Taft, 62, Raleigh, 6 March 2010 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
JTF and other...I have to ask again - what is your theory on why JW has not been charged with burglary?

That makes sense ... him seeing them enter together (and probably DH's car was there) but when he attacked KT, her car was not, so he thought KT was there alone.

I would think that KT had stayed at that house many times in the past and I wonder if she ever jogged around that street and the street JW lived on? Or do we know if JG had friends on the street JW lived on, etc. Somehow, JW didn't go in there without knowing that either only one woman was in there or two. Were the blinds open perhaps or did he run into DH in the parking lot when she locked her keys in the car and offered to help???

The sister of state Board of Education member Kathy A. Taft says she heard footsteps and believes somebody was in the house just before she found Taft badly injured in her bed on March 6.
"But I didn't know that house," Dina Holton, 56, told WCTI-TV in New Bern this week. "I'd never stayed in that house before, and then I found her and that's when I called 911."

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04...otsteps.html?storylink=misearch#ixzz0lVeFodNl

JTF, what info do you have that says otherwise? TIA

and then I found her.....7-8 hours later is what she meant...imo
The e-mail I received with her direct account said she heard a noise in the night....likley before she went up at 3am

JTF and other...I have to ask again - what is your theory on why JW has not been charged with burglary?

Until they checked his house w/ SW, they would have no evidence he stole anything...hence no charge, at least yet.

Just fwiw:

The lamp may have been taken because there was blood evidence visible on it.The lamp could have been made of satin nickle. Who knows, perhaps the shade was knocked off it. The sister may not have noticed any disarray, after all, she was concerned with her sister. Whatever, it seems as if LE felt it important enough to confiscate.

I understand from what I read yesterday, that KT was asleep in the downstairs bedroom and sis was upstairs. Therefore, it would be easy for someone to sneak into a home, do damage downstairs without disturbing anyone asleep upstairs. jmo, oh, and I live in a two story house.

IMHO, this guy had done b&e before. He most likely broke in to STEAL something of value. He came across a sleeping woman and his plans most likely changed in an instant. Perhaps he disturbed her and she started to stir. He made a rash decision and hit her on the head and then sexually assaulted her. When he was finished with his assault, it MAY have made him realize what he'd done and the last thing on his mind was roaming around looking for something of value. He just wanted to get the heck outta' Dodge!....or, he may have heard the sis come down to check on her. I understand the only thing she checked on was to hear her breathing and she thought everything was ok......seriously, I would too!

Like I said yesterday, this was a strange house and the sis wasn't used to it. She didn't know what the natural house noises were, so her THINKING perhaps she heard a noise, maybe yes, maybe no,...............but when she went to wake her sis in the am, she just saw blood everywhere and assumed it was from the wounds from the surgery, because there was blood all over the pillow, etc ("everywhere"), .................sincerely, who would THINK there'd been a break in and assault when they first went in there?! not me!

JMHO
fran

PS....as far as IF the lamp was visibly disturbed at this point, is UNKNOWN. I mean, she wasn't looking for 'EVIDENCE,' she was looking at her sister who'd just had 'minor' surgery and was now unresponsive and 'blood everywhere.' Then all the bandages hiding the 'evidence' of a severe head injury. Even the ambulance people apparently didn't KNOW, because it was the SURGEON who said 'she'd been assaulted.' fran

Thank you ... you and I have different interpretations of that statement.

I have contacted the reporter. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

If he was at the house until early morning where did his wife think he was? This is all so strange!!! Has anyone found out anything more about the wife?

You don't have to steal something for it to be classified a burglary. The definition of Burglary is entering the premises with the intent to commit a felony. Felony assault and rape are FELONIES!

Thank you ... you and I have different interpretations of that statement.

I have contacted the reporter. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Keep in mind this reporter heard this account 2nd hand, as it was originally aired by the New Bern station and WTVD ran it and commented.

I would think that KT had stayed at that house many times in the past and I wonder if she ever jogged around that street and the street JW lived on? Or do we know if JG had friends on the street JW lived on, etc. Somehow, JW didn't go in there without knowing that either only one woman was in there or two. Were the blinds open perhaps or did he run into DH in the parking lot when she locked her keys in the car and offered to help???

The neighbors said JW had moved in about 6 months ago. They also said LE had 'asked who lived there.' That was in a video I saw last night. Sorry, don't recall which one, but in the same video, they said LE was talking to the residence door to door and that an unmarked, plain-clothes police officer was 'staking out' the area. (they may have said the suspect's residence, idnk.) I also didn't realize at the time I was watching the video that the residence they were talking about (the suspect's) was multi-unit.

Does anyone know IF the suspect COULD have had his DNA taken with any of his other offenses?

I know there's some laws in different states where they take dna automatically on prisoners, with a specific offense. I just don't know what the criteria is.

JMHO
fran

Amarillo - I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but my guess is that JW was not living a traditional married life.

Criminal profilers have said Taft's attacker likely was a teenage boy or someone in his early 20s, who intended to burglarize the home but had a change of plan after finding someone inside. That may also explain the absence of a DNA match - Taft's attacker may not have a felony criminal record.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04...otsteps.html?storylink=misearch#ixzz0lVjUO29J

Okay. With a car in the driveway ... who doesn't think someone is home?

Amarillo - I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but my guess is that JW was not living a traditional married life.

Exactly! He could have told his g/f or wife he was out 'listening' for new talent, a friend's band, or any number of things.

Guys in a band are known to be out until 4-5-6 a.m. Just jamming.

JMHO
fran

You don't have to steal something for it to be classified a burglary. The definition of Burglary is entering the premises with the intent to commit a felony. Felony assault and rape are FELONIES!

Well, not all B&E / burglary charges are felonies.

:confused: So exasperating.
Has it been confirmed that DH went out that night?

Criminal profilers have said Taft's attacker likely was a teenage boy or someone in his early 20s, who intended to burglarize the home but had a change of plan after finding someone inside. That may also explain the absence of a DNA match - Taft's attacker may not have a felony criminal record.

Read more: http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/04...otsteps.html?storylink=misearch#ixzz0lVjUO29J

But, they said at the back of the home there was a trail that many residents used. It backed up to an un-inhabited area. He may have approached from that direction.

JMHO
fran

Maybe: He saw the two women entering the house after the surgery (probably having some trouble getting in the place because of KT's grogginess and the crazy steps on the outside of the place.) They got out of the Durango. He's on his way (walking) to that shopping center. He's thinking - hmm, pain meds and rich ladies (nice cars). He comes back through (walking) at whatever time (night or early, early morning) and there's only one car at that house. He thinks that this bandaged woman is home alone and Durango lady has gone back to her home. He slips in. If he gets there before DH, he messes around the home first until he hears her. Or he doesn't have a clue that she's (DH) there and she doesn't have a clue that he's (JW) there. He hears DH and decides to split. She hears JW and decides to check. I'm not sure the time really matters. But I think he must be the tall, slender guy on the Domino's camera. Maybe he was passing there to get home. I'm not positive, but isn't Domino's the place you'd pass to take that trail on foot? And Domino's might have a time stamp on that camera.

Turns out he had a 2001 felony conviction....before NC required a DNA sample for their database.

The charge of burglary is a felony in the state of North Carolina!

Burglary is committed when an individual enters a premise with the intention of committing a felony!!!!!

Felony assualt, Rape, and Murder are felonies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore a burglary was also committed. Why was he not charged with it is my question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ulanov911