GUILTY NC - Laura Ackerson, 27, Kinston, 13 July 2011 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be very interesting to see if AH testifies in G's trial. If they are married, she would have spousal privilege, right? If not, she could be called by the prosecution, even as a co-defendant, yes?

These 2 are connivers. I wonder if they're going to try to manipulate the system, via their separate trials, to get each other off. I still expect AH to play the postpartum depression defense somehow.

It's so hard to believe they were caught practically red-handed, but they're going to trial anyway. The DP isn't on the table, is it?

It will be very interesting to see if AH testifies in G's trial. If they are married, she would have spousal privilege, right? If not, she could be called by the prosecution, even as a co-defendant, yes?

These 2 are connivers. I wonder if they're going to try to manipulate the system, via their separate trials, to get each other off. I still expect AH to play the postpartum depression defense somehow.

It's so hard to believe they were caught practically red-handed, but they're going to trial anyway. The DP isn't on the table, is it?

bbm

Mmppppfff, Boodles, I never thought of that angle. That's a worry.... I don't like the thoughts it puts in my mind... You make a good point. I'm sure the PT will know for sure about their marital status before we all get into the courtroom -- and it wouldn't surprise me if they are not married, & I really hope they are not.

I was more thinking along the lines of AH (or whatever her last name is!) bailing on GH and trying to save her skin for herself & her child by him. Maybe he snowed her that much, though. Dunno.

I don't think she'll take the fall for him, however. So what'll she do? It was said earlier that she said she had an alibi for the actual murder -- but she certainly conspired to get the poor woman's body out of the apt. and out of NC -- and at her relative's area in Texas. I guess she is just that stoopid.

She does have a good lawyer -- maybe, if she is off the track on this thing, he will straighten out her thinking...

Has the shine worn off of GH in her eyes and she's in it for herself or will it be more as you suggested? That bothers me, Boods. Yes, it does.

I don't think the DP is in this one at all, IIRC.

bbm

Hi, 'East! That's what I remember, too, about the Grant/Amanda baby -- that it hadn't been too long after the birth that the murder, etc., took place. I'll try to look back & see what I can find...
icon12.gif

ETA:
I found this line, "Grant Hayes, a local musician, recently married Amanda Hayes, Anderson said. The two have a 3-month-old child together," in the following article, which was"Posted: July 28, 2011" --

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9925446/

And I found that article in the WRAL news archives, which is a good source for us to refresh our knowledge about this case to be READY for the trial:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/asset_gallery/9925558/

Thanks for the info and the links Born. I was thinking the baby was nearly a newborn. I'm with Boodles and have been thinking along the post part. depression defense too. In last week's motions hearing it was brought out that Amanda H. pushed or shoved or did something to Laura, thus bringing about her death. Something Laura said about 'getting her baby'....in reference to Amanda's newborn must have set Amanda off. I need to go back and watch that motion hearing again. I don't care who did what, even if Grant H. was not actually involved in the physical act of murder--even if it was a total accident of sorts. He was complicit in hauling Laura's body to TX and disposing of it. I hope his attorneys are not giving him hope that he'll just simply walk away from all of this.

I truly believe both will be convicted, that it's just a matter of degree and sentencing. How could they not be?

Betcha $5 AH was the instigator and ringleader. I think GH was probably duped by AH, and that before her he was just a lowly con-artist/stoner. That said, I think he's a full-fledged participant. I only say this because I sense many feel that he duped her. I think she's the most evil of the two. I just base this on gut feeling, though. I think she has dubious past and I hope the prosecution has done its homework about her. Sociopaths can be amazingly cunning.

And she has her (adult) daughter who will go to bat for her, doing what she is told to do and saying what she's told to say, to help AH attempt to escape conviction (IMO).

Hi All,

I watched some of the hearing (pre-trial motions) that occurred last week. It was surreal, and those who followed both the Cooper trial and Young trials will understand. It was like a merging from those other trials: "oh look, there's Judge Stephens from the Young trial! And...there's Becky Holt with Boz Zellinger for the state. And isn't that the court clerk from the Cooper case? Why yes it is!" Very surreal.

Thanks for the remarks, Mad74! I think many of us who watched the trials you mentioned, or who are familiar with the principals you mentioned have cited some of those folks in posts similar to what you referred above. I've certainly done it. It's hard not to -- it is nice to note that more of the "good ones" are mentioned than -- thankfully -- one or two of those whom most of us did not like (usually on the other side of the courtroom!) or did not remember fondly! Old home week, as they call it...

Looking forward to more good Wake Co. courtroom trials with all of you & all of "them"!

Thanks for the remarks, Mad74! I think many of us who watched the trials you mentioned, or who are familiar with the principals you mentioned have cited some of those folks in posts similar to what you referred above. I've certainly done it. It's hard not to -- it is nice to note that more of the "good ones" are mentioned than -- thankfully -- one or two of those whom most of us did not like (usually on the other side of the courtroom!) or did not remember fondly! Old home week, as they call it...

Looking forward to more good Wake Co. courtroom trials with all of you & all of "them"!

Doesn't jury selection begin on Monday, Aug. 26? I am thinking that's correct. I have been having horrible upon horrible problems with my back/hips/legs and can't do much but lay. I have lost my place with the Chrisman trial, each time I get caught up there the following court day is cancelled for one reason or another. I may be in a body cast when this trial starts, lord have mercy we've waited long enough for it. I'm thinking about what Boodles said--gosh, I'm not sure who it was and I just read it, about Amanda being the evil driving force in this duo. I have not given that much thought, but will now. After all, his defense is that he wasn't even there when the murder took place, in the motions hearing last week it was stated that Amanda shoved or did something to Laura, and they ended up carrying LA's body parts to her Amanda's house in TX so it may very well be that she is the psycho brain that's been calling the shots. Interesting new angle to ponder.

Yes, NCEast, jury selection is scheduled to start on Monday the 26th. I guess we'll get a daily tab of the number of jurors selected each day. IMO, none of the folks in this trial -- GH, AH, and LA -- were particularly well known around here. And LA lived in Kinston, a mid-sized town on highway 70, about 90 miles east of Raleigh, NC (I know, 'East, I know that I'm preaching to the choir here, but I thought I'd throw it in for those who aren't Easterners!). That being the case (IIANM), jury selection shouldn't be too difficult & shouldn't take too long. Hope not. -- I also hope I am not jinxing this process...

ETA: I hadn't thought much about AH being the evil ringleader in this thing, either, but I could be convinced. GH has always just turned my head so badly & tightly with his arrogant, narcissistic attitude, I always thought he held himself above getting caught for doing something that was, in his mind, justified. I thought it was AH who said she had an alibi for being away from their home when "it" happened. I hope we'll hear the stories -- seems to me, however, that GH will have to walk & talk to tell his side. Opening arguments can do a lot, but I want to hear him defend himself on the stand under oath (AS IF). But things are not always as advertised, are they?! And I would like very much to find out how his atty(s) feel(s) about him being on the stand... Lots to see, lots to see... And I hope you can watch all you want and enjoy it without hurting, 'East. [End ETA.]

A body cast, my sweet friend -- oh, my goodness -- back problems, I'm sure. Is this the treatment that will take care of things? Oh, I do so hope so, little one. :blowkiss: You are in my thoughts & prayers for pain relief, and a complete and speedy recovery. Keep us informed as much as you can, have good thoughts, and let people do things for you. Take all the :cupcake: TLC that is offered. :grouphug:

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered/said I am way behind on everything WB. Is there live coverage of this trial? Does NC allow that? Or if we aren't that lucky will there be dutiful reporters tweeting everything??

TIA guys!

Yes, Redsky, live-streaming, etc., is allowed in NC -- but IIANM, it can be blocked by the presiding judge, etc., and some courtrooms may not be amenable to doing it -- the jury could be in view and not "blockable," etc.).

This trial has been rescheduled a couple of times (not unusual, really). GH has tossed out two of his court-appointed attys, and is now on this third, which Judge Stephens said would be the last one. Anyway, the new atty asked for more time -- granted, of course -- and then the trial was bifurcated since AH, his "wife" (who may not be legally married to GH, we dunno for sure) wanted a separate trial. So another delay.

Long story short (I am never brief!), WRAL-TV-Raleigh, NC - had told us initially that they planned to stream this one (not on TV, but you sign-on to their link and go straight live into the courtroom), so you have to be online to see it. They archive it daily so that it can be seen the same night as the day's segment of the trial -- great for working folks who cannot watch live, and great if you missed or want to review it. Anyway, we are all hoping that they are still planning to do it. So we'll see. We don't know of anything else that would supersede it, so we are hopeful. They do not live stream the jury selection -- they start with opening remarks and go to the verdict. (still a long story....
icon11.gif
)

HTH.
icon12.gif

Thanks Born - I am trying to be patient, really I am!!!!

Yes, NCEast, jury selection is scheduled to start on Monday the 26th. I guess we'll get a daily tab of the number of jurors selected each day. IMO, none of the folks in this trial -- GH, AH, and LA -- were particularly well known around here. And LA lived in Kinston, a mid-sized town on highway 70, about 90 miles east of Raleigh, NC (I know, 'East, I know that I'm preaching to the choir here, but I thought I'd throw it in for those who aren't Easterners!). That being the case (IIANM), jury selection shouldn't be too difficult & shouldn't take too long. Hope not. -- I also hope I am not jinxing this process...

ETA: I hadn't thought much about AH being the evil ringleader in this thing, either, but I could be convinced. GH has always just turned my head so badly & tightly with his arrogant, narcissistic attitude, I always thought he held himself above getting caught for doing something that was, in his mind, justified. I thought it was AH who said she had an alibi for being away from their home when "it" happened. I hope we'll hear the stories -- seems to me, however, that GH will have to walk & talk to tell his side. Opening arguments can do a lot, but I want to hear him defend himself on the stand under oath (AS IF). But things are not always as advertised, are they?! And I would like very much to find out how his atty(s) feel(s) about him being on the stand... Lots to see, lots to see... And I hope you can watch all you want and enjoy it without hurting, 'East. [End ETA.]

A body cast, my sweet friend -- oh, my goodness -- back problems, I'm sure. Is this the treatment that will take care of things? Oh, I do so hope so, little one. :blowkiss: You are in my thoughts & prayers for pain relief, and a complete and speedy recovery. Keep us informed as much as you can, have good thoughts, and let people do things for you. Take all the :cupcake: TLC that is offered. :grouphug:

Thank you so much for your sweet spirit Born. And thank you for the hug--I've been here all by myself this weekend and with feeling so badly that hug was needed.
I, too, am looking forward to opening statements--sometimes a lot of info comes out that we don't know about. They kind of set the stage for what is to follow.
I'm ready for it to begin and I'm hoping some of the good folks from the bad cop cases we've followed in the past couple of months will join us on here for this one too. Bad cops, bad defense attorneys, bad judges, lots of bad officials recently. At least we know the major players in this case and they are all good folks except for the defendants. I still want to smack that smirk off of GH's face.

Posted: 8:46 p.m. - August 25, 2013
Updated: 9:10 p.m. - August 25, 2013

WRAL - Raleigh, NC

Raleigh man goes to trial in ex-girlfriend's murder

Raleigh, N.C. — Jury selection is expected to begin Monday in the trial of a Raleigh man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and the mother of two of his children.

Grant Ruffin Hayes, 34, faces a first-degree murder charge in the July 2011 death of Laura Jean Ackerson, 27, whose dismembered body was found in a creek in Richmond, Texas – about 60 miles south of Houston.

Snipped:

Grant Hayes' trial is expected to last several weeks. If convicted of first-degree murder, he faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-man-goes-to-trial-in-ex-girlfriend-s-murder/12816479/

I just called WRAL - Raleigh, NC and spoke to a Director/Manager.

She said WRAL will stream the trial "live" when testimony begins.

The trial starts today with jury selection and they are not allowed to "stream" that part of the trial.

She said they plan to archive at the end of the day/evening.

I just called WRAL - Raleigh, NC and spoke to a Director/Manager.

She said WRAL will stream the trial "live" when testimony begins.

The trial starts today with jury selection and they are not allowed to "stream" that part of the trial.

She said they plan to archive at the end of the day/evening.

Thanks Ann! I just looked on WRAL site and didn't see anything updated as of your last article. So was curious if they had even started with jury selection. I understand not showing that process, I think it can be boring. I am looking forward to this trial starting, and interacting with all of you trail watcher's.

I am glad that WRAL will stream this trial live. As this case broke in TX and divers from the greater Houston area searched the murky waters of Oyster Creek near Richmond, TX (for the body parts of Laura Jean Ackerson), all of the Houston mainstream media were on location and gave continuous updates.

After the case investigation concluded in TX and the investigation continued with NC law enforcement in NC, there has been limited info reported in TX. As in TX, I assume the details will be testified to at trial.

I think WRAL does an exceptional job of "live streaming" and archiving.

I watched the Jason Young murder trial in 2012 via WRAL "live stream." Exceptional coverage and I really do like Judge Stephens who was the presiding judge in the Young trial and is the presiding judge in Grant Hayes' trial.

Special thanks to WRAL! You are the best!

http://www.wral.com/
WRAL - Raleigh, NC -- Homepage

WRAL - Raleigh, NC

Posted: 8:46 p.m. yesterday
Updated: 1:44 p.m. today - 8/26/13

Raleigh man goes to trial in ex-girlfriend's murder

Raleigh, N.C. — Jury selection began Monday in the trial of a Raleigh man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend and the mother of two of his children.

Snipped:

Attorneys anticipate that jury selection will last several days and that Grant Hayes' trial will last several weeks. If convicted of first-degree murder, he faces life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Amanda Hayes, 41, is also charged with first-degree murder in the crime and is expected to go to trial in January.

Read more:

http://www.wral.com/raleigh-man-goes-to-trial-in-ex-girlfriend-s-murder/12816479/

Thanks Ann for watching and keeping us informed on this trial. I am currently involved in the Richard Chrisman trial from AZ. I am trying to keep and eye on this one as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unknownalias