UNSOLVED NC - Wilkes Co, Photo of Gagged Woman Tied To Chair, Circa 1970s or Early 80s

To me it's odd that she would think this hair is her ex's - what kind of guy keeps braided locks of his own hair? I know anything is possible but this could also well be a trophy of some kind.

Sorry for getting OT, but my dad had waist-length hair until he got transferred and had to chop it off. He still has a braid of it in his antique trunk.

I'm perplexed by the rectangular thing. It kind of does look like a step on an aluminum stepladder.

It does seem odd that the cigarettes wouldn't have fallen out of her shirt pocket if she had been struggling.

The picture and the hair!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

The Color of hair in the braids matches up with Angie hambys color more than this lady

I agree with you and if you look at the hair on her shoulder being hit by the sun, it looks to be the same color. Something that nags at me about the short braids is that its obvious by the length and bands that they were pigtails. Would a guy put his hair in pigtails like that to make locks?
The hair didn't necessarily have to be in pigtails or braids when it was cut! It could've been braided after the cut! The lady's hair in the pic is much darker than the braids! And also alot thinner, so it seems, so I don't think she would have such thick braids!

And the thin braid could've been a beard!

Been following since Carl posted. Was undecided on the picture. In all it's forms, lighter, darker, zoomed. I have seen different emotions in her eyes from happiness to desperation. I'm now sure it was fear and desperation. The hair has turned my stomach and makes it difficult to think anything else. I don't believe they are his. I believe if it was his it would have been in one braid. I can't see a man braiding his hair in 2 braids even to cut it. I see trophies. And at least 2 different people.
The thinner longer braid looks a lighter shade to me. I agree with a previous poster that this looks like a rat tail. They were popular in this area (way New England) in early/mid 80's so likely popular before that in other areas of the country. Unless her ex had a rat tail I'd count him out for that one.

Regarding the cigs and hair, if she were in distress and being held against her will, he may have put them there himself before taking the photo. If this guy were some nut job that tied women down and murdered them, I could see him brushing her hair and making it neat for a photo, especially if he planned on keeping the photo as a keepsake. I don't know why he'd place cigarettes in her pocket, maybe they were his favorite kind.

I can't for the life of me figure out what that thing behind her is, I'm not seeing the dental chair but I know everyone sees things differently.

Regarding the cigs and hair, if she were in distress and being held against her will, he may have put them there himself before taking the photo. If this guy were some nut job that tied women down and murdered them, I could see him brushing her hair and making it neat for a photo, especially if he planned on keeping the photo as a keepsake. I don't know why he'd place cigarettes in her pocket, maybe they were his favorite kind.

Exactly. Putting the cigarettes in her blouse pocket for effect when taking the photograph.

that gag tho... With how bulky it is, it doesn't look very tight or secure. Is it a towel? Or like a neck wrap thing? kinda like this
attachment.php

After looking at the picture in my opinion part of the thing behind her looks like it might just be part of the gag behind her head.

Attachments

• 71FjMBINQ7L._SY550_.jpg
    71FjMBINQ7L._SY550_.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 198
Do the three braids appear to be hair from one person? Do they seem similar in color and texture?

I agree with previous posters that it is really unusual for a man to :

1. Save his own hair
2. Put it in more than one braid before cutting it
3. Do it more than one time

As I already posted:

1. I believe the ex-wife
2. I see a gagged desperate woman in abject fear
3. I see hair trophies

All one person's opinion, but I strongly urge LE to consider this a crime until proven otherwise.
I think the man in question should be vigorously questioned and poly'ed

All just one person's opinion and speculation.

Here's the unbrightened version of the photo. The little yellow speck on the window is a contamination of the slide.

attachment.php

This "unedited" digitized version of the slide gives a better look at what's behind her head. I looks like the gag material is being fed through or wrapped around whatever it is.

EDIT : I realize that identifying whatever it is will not help solve anything. Unless we ID it, and there were only one or two ever made, and we figure out that only a handful of people ever owned that thing, and find out that the ex was one of them. But to be honest, I do not think that there is much else that can be done with this disturbing image.? We can try to guess whether the female looks like someone else or not, but what can really be done? There is an almost 0% chance that we know if the pic is staged or not... Sorry, sometimes these threads really bother me and I want to contribute in any way I can. I just don't have the skills, contacts, resources, or knowledge to meaningfully contribute.

I still see flood light. Like this: file:///storage/emulated/0/Download/6360280699556930583404720.jpg

Okay now I see it. Gag material behind her head and it looks like it has a chord or wire coming from it. Like.... some kind of heating pad or something?

The green part you added, in the original image, it looks like it actually ends and is attached to the flat part. Looks like there is a small darker part near the bottom that could be a screw or rivet.

As if the gag is wrapped around a small bar attached to the flat part..

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    277.5 KB · Views: 195
Okay now I see it. Gag material behind her head and it looks like it has a chord or wire coming from it. Like.... some kind of heating pad or something?
attachment.php

My theory is that the thing you highlighted in green is some sort of improvised tourniquet to keep the gag tight. If it is simply tied behind her head it could come loose if she struggles. There are bandaging systems used in combat first aide which pull tighter with any movement, and at the same time can be loosened or tightened with a cord/ bar system worked by the medical workers for checking the wound and adding more dressings. Obviously, this is not being used in a medical emergency but perhaps someone had military training which would have taught him how to improvise something like this which would pull tighter if she struggled and could be controled with only one hand? (And sorry, but I feel sick for this woman while thinking about all this and typing it out-- we have to figure out who she is and what happened here :( )

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuhwraywray
Back