New Damien Echols Interview

Venom, if you want to truly investigate, you might try a supporter site like the WM3 Blackboard to balance the non site decoyed by the name "WM3 Truth." We're not supposed to provide links to other sites here, but, if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the link.

I'm guessing by "bite mark" you are referring to this?:

attachment.php

If so, I've yet to see any reason to assume that is a bite mark at all, particularly in light of the fact that those wounds are remarkably consistent with the butt and Saw edge of the lake knife. Also, while I've seen Pam Hobbs join in on the speculation against her ex-husband in the recent movies which she was paid for her participation in, I've yet to see her go so far as to actually say she thinks he did it. If you can substantiate your claim that she did, please share.

<modsnip>[/QUOTE
OK, since I am back anyway, I'll take these two points up. Poor bitemarks, they have essentially gone down the drain - and two potential suspects had their teeth removed...

The crucial fact is that the bite-marks if they were bite-marks - did not match any of the convicted - now that is a fact, and originally they were identified as bite-marks (you know these Satanists or thrill-killers, they just enjoyed biting their vicitms!). They now, according to your reasoning, or should I say sleight-of-hand? - magically (and no, not magickally) turn into something else. Now they are are "remarkably consistent with the butt and Saw edge of the lake knife.[/B]".

What exactly does "remarkably consistent?" mean? Even if these are indeed knife marks, what gives you ground to say they come from that particular knife? (The story of the knife is quite "remarkable" in itself: the divers went in and found it at once - and the press had been duly alerted, so they were present - this could not have been a "hunch" but an informant - but in court the evidence was not presented by the informant, as would have been the lege artis procedure, but the prosecutor - which is highly dubious not to say bordering on the illegal. I am not even going into the ridiculous grapefruit "reconstruction").

But anyway, "remarkably consistent" means nothing. Not being an American myself, I was amazed if not downright appalled during my first visit (and resigned during the many subsequent ones) by how many different knives an average household has - a non-murderous one at that. Scores! Whereas I do cook a lot and a few knives are totally sufficient.

As far as the killer(s) possibly using a knife, nobody has ever contested it. The thrust of the opinion of the experts (independent experts, may I remind you - and paid their usual fees for the express purpose of avoiding accusations of bias of pro bono work -and now being accused of being bribed!) - was that the majority of the wounds that so appalled and impacted the jury were postmortem and afflicted by animal predators. Nobody has ever asserted that no knife was ever used. Obviously, the poor boys did not die of animal predation. The prevailing theory is that they died of injuries of a blunt instrument, and drowning. There may have been a knife involved, too. So your theory, even if correct, proves exactly what?

As far as Pam never saying TB was the culprit - well, nobody apart from Mark Byers has ever said that, in so many words. Pam has her doubts but does not morph them into downright accusations. So that proves what?

And, BTW, who has ever said that Pam outspokenly accused his former husband? If you have evidence as to that, "please share". She has the situation where the knife she knew Steve wore all the time turned up in his former husband's belongings - nothing 100% there. She is vocal about her conviction that WM3 did not do it, but in two minds as regards TH.

(Can you imagine her being anything else? Can you imagine a mother actually convinced that she lived with a man who killed her son - that she was so eager to have a new husband as to put her son's life at risk? Personally, I would really need a crime scene video to be totally convinced - the guilt I would have to live with later would be almost insufferable).

As for her being paid for participating in the documentary - again that proves exactly what? (Apart from being one of your rich kit of manipulation techniques). Prosecutors are paid and have careers in mind, police is paid, judges are paid. The only people who were paid extremely little were public defenders, especially those who did not toe the party line.
People are compensated for their time in all situations, in America especially (e.g., no patient in a clinical trial receives any compensation in Europe, while the compensation is ample and legal in the States - this is not presented as a bribe but simply as paying for the time you spent). So she spent a substantial time on the film, was paid for the time - and was not paid to say TH is definitely guilty of the crime. Which she did not.

The defence attorneys said what they had was enough for offering a possible other culprit, nothing more. What most people have said, TH is a person of interest who should be properly investigated (which the State of Arkansas has never done), including a grand jury procedure where new witnesses would be questioned under oath.

The most even Damien Echols has ever said is that they have more evidence on this guy than they ever had on him. Jason Baldwin commented, on the basis on new confessions coming to light, that it is still "she said, he said", not proper evidence. He has been through this "she said, he said" situation before - so he does not want it to be inflicted on anybody else. ("Anybody can say anything, this is not evidence" was his comment).

So all the people involved (apart from the hopelessly flamboyant Mark Byers) have used the logic "it may be consistent with but this is not definitive proof". They have done this in regard to he DNA evidence regarding TH and David Jacobi. It has been made very clear the "consistent with" does not mean "identical with", with percentages added. )

So when you say the marks are "consistent with" a specific type of knife, you are crossing the same dangerous line that supporters have assiduously tried to avoid.

To recapitulate, a) "consistent with" is by no means "identical with" and b) Pam Hicks never said outright that she considers TH to be the culprit. She has explicitly said that she does not believe WM3 did it - and indeed participated in the promotional tour of "West of Memphis".

So the point of your post?

I'm guessing by "bite mark" you are referring to this?:

attachment.php

If so, I've yet to see any reason to assume that is a bite mark at all, particularly in light of the fact that those wounds are remarkably consistent with the butt and Saw edge of the lake knife. Also, while I've seen Pam Hobbs join in on the speculation against her ex-husband in the recent movies which she was paid for her participation in, I've yet to see her go so far as to actually say she thinks he did it. If you can substantiate your claim that she did, please share.

<modsnip>[/QUOTE
OK, since I am back anyway, I'll take these two points up. Poor bitemarks, they have essentially gone down the drain - and two potential suspects had their teeth removed...

The crucial fact is that the bite-marks if they were bite-marks - did not match any of the convicted - now that is a fact, and originally they were identified as bite-marks (you know these Satanists or thrill-killers, they just enjoyed biting their vicitms!). They now, according to your reasoning, or should I say sleight-of-hand? - magically (and no, not magickally) turn into something else. Now they are are "remarkably consistent with the butt and Saw edge of the lake knife.[/B]".

What exactly does "remarkably consistent?" mean? Even if these are indeed knife marks, what gives you ground to say they come from that particular knife? (The story of the knife is quite "remarkable" in itself: the divers went in and found it at once - and the press had been duly alerted, so they were present - this could not have been a "hunch" but an informant - but in court the evidence was not presented by the informant, as would have been the lege artis procedure, but the prosecutor - which is highly dubious not to say bordering on the illegal. I am not even going into the ridiculous grapefruit "reconstruction").

But anyway, "remarkably consistent" means nothing. Not being an American myself, I was amazed if not downright appalled during my first visit (and resigned during the many subsequent ones) by how many different knives an average household has - a non-murderous one at that. Scores! Whereas I do cook a lot and a few knives are totally sufficient.

As far as the killer(s) possibly using a knife, nobody has ever contested it. The thrust of the opinion of the experts (independent experts, may I remind you - and paid their usual fees for the express purpose of avoiding accusations of bias of pro bono work -and now being accused of being bribed!) - was that the majority of the wounds that so appalled and impacted the jury were postmortem and afflicted by animal predators. Nobody has ever asserted that no knife was ever used. Obviously, the poor boys did not die of animal predation. The prevailing theory is that they died of injuries of a blunt instrument, and drowning. There may have been a knife involved, too. So your theory, even if correct, proves exactly what?

As far as Pam never saying TB was the culprit - well, nobody apart from Mark Byers has ever said that, in so many words. Pam has her doubts but does not morph them into downright accusations. So that proves what?

And, BTW, who has ever said that Pam outspokenly accused his former husband? If you have evidence as to that, "please share". She has the situation where the knife she knew Steve wore all the time turned up in his former husband's belongings - nothing 100% there. She is vocal about her conviction that WM3 did not do it, but in two minds as regards TH.

(Can you imagine her being anything else? Can you imagine a mother actually convinced that she lived with a man who killed her son - that she was so eager to have a new husband as to put her son's life at risk? Personally, I would really need a crime scene video to be totally convinced - the guilt I would have to live with later would be almost insufferable).

As for her being paid for participating in the documentary - again that proves exactly what? (Apart from being one of your rich kit of manipulation techniques). Prosecutors are paid and have careers in mind, police is paid, judges are paid. The only people who were paid extremely little were public defenders, especially those who did not toe the party line.
People are compensated for their time in all situations, in America especially (e.g., no patient in a clinical trial receives any compensation in Europe, while the compensation is ample and legal in the States - this is not presented as a bribe but simply as paying for the time you spent). So she spent a substantial time on the film, was paid for the time - and was not paid to say TH is definitely guilty of the crime. Which she did not.

The defence attorneys said what they had was enough for offering a possible other culprit, nothing more. What most people have said, TH is a person of interest who should be properly investigated (which the State of Arkansas has never done), including a grand jury procedure where new witnesses would be questioned under oath.

The most even Damien Echols has ever said is that they have more evidence on this guy than they ever had on him. Jason Baldwin commented, on the basis on new confessions coming to light, that it is still "she said, he said", not proper evidence. He has been through this "she said, he said" situation before - so he does not want it to be inflicted on anybody else. ("Anybody can say anything, this is not evidence" was his comment).

So all the people involved (apart from the hopelessly flamboyant Mark Byers) have used the logic "it may be consistent with but this is not definitive proof". They have done this in regard to he DNA evidence regarding TH and David Jacobi. It has been made very clear the "consistent with" does not mean "identical with", with percentages added. )

So when you say the marks are "consistent with" a specific type of knife, you are crossing the same dangerous line that supporters have assiduously tried to avoid.

To recapitulate, a) "consistent with" is by no means "identical with" and b) Pam Hicks never said outright that she considers TH to be the culprit. She has explicitly said that she does not believe WM3 did it - and indeed participated in the promotional tour of "West of Memphis".

So the point of your post?

That was a piss poor piece of writing. "Pleaded." Really? You can't distinguish the voice of the writer from the voice he gives DE. I wouldn't take this article to heart in any way.

That was a piss poor piece of writing. "Pleaded." Really? You can't distinguish the voice of the writer from the voice he gives DE. I wouldn't take this article to heart in any way.

As this post follows mine, I can only express my deep wonder. My post did not contain the word "plead" or "pleaded" nor had it anything to do with the voice of the writer or the voice of DE. It just dealt with two points made by kyleb - knife woulds versus bite marks and Pamela's explicit accusation of TH - or actually lack thereof. Probably some kind of misunderstanding.

I believe he/they did. supposedly, according to their lawyers, they have new evidence that will clear their names but we have yet to see this new evidence because more than likely there is not any.

Exactly, he CAN do something to help find the real person who did this.

I still believe they are 100% guilty. Have you read Callahans?

VERY informative site about this case. That is what changed my mind from innocent to guilty.

http://callahan.8k.com/

I am going to be very blunt: If you believe these three are guilty, you either have zero knowledge about the case, or you need your head examined. I urge you to name one solid piece of evidence that leads to any of them. Listen to Misskelley's confession. The coercion is absolutely obvious. Did you see the video of his trial? He has, I believe, around 10 alibi witnesses. I think many of you still "convinced" of their guilt have this mentality: If they were convicted, they must be guilty. Justice has been served, and we must not question it. Well... this case was a complete farce from the beginning. Garbage in, garbage out. This doesn't happen all the time, but this case was a perfect storm of non-existent "satanic panic," DA's and judges jockeying for political gain, an inept police force, media frenzy, a prosecutor hellbent on winning at all costs, conservative values, and utterly incompetent defense attorneys. If that isn't convincing, apply Occam's Razor-- the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Without getting wrapped up in the emotion-- think about the alleged elements of this crime. Three teenagers kill three little boys they don't even know. All three of them have alibis. It is centered around some sort of freaky "satanic ritual." The "mutilation" that occurred is done by a knife in a tapping motion. The autopsies were done by a medical examiner without a license, who just happens to be, in the state of Arkansas, an arm of the prosecution. The teenager with the "confession" is mentally retarded, and barely knows and never hung out with his "accomplices." It goes on and on.

But again, please name me one piece of compelling evidence that points to the three.

As this post follows mine, I can only express my deep wonder. My post did not contain the word "plead" or "pleaded" nor had it anything to do with the voice of the writer or the voice of DE. It just dealt with two points made by kyleb - knife woulds versus bite marks and Pamela's explicit accusation of TH - or actually lack thereof. Probably some kind of misunderstanding.

i believe my2sense was referring to the original link to the DE interview!

I am going to be very blunt: If you believe these three are guilty, you either have zero knowledge about the case, or you need your head examined. I urge you to name one solid piece of evidence that leads to any of them. Listen to Misskelley's confession. The coercion is absolutely obvious. Did you see the video of his trial? He has, I believe, around 10 alibi witnesses. I think many of you still "convinced" of their guilt have this mentality: If they were convicted, they must be guilty. Justice has been served, and we must not question it. Well... this case was a complete farce from the beginning. Garbage in, garbage out. This doesn't happen all the time, but this case was a perfect storm of non-existent "satanic panic," DA's and judges jockeying for political gain, an inept police force, media frenzy, a prosecutor hellbent on winning at all costs, conservative values, and utterly incompetent defense attorneys. If that isn't convincing, apply Occam's Razor-- the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. Without getting wrapped up in the emotion-- think about the alleged elements of this crime. Three teenagers kill three little boys they don't even know. All three of them have alibis. It is centered around some sort of freaky "satanic ritual." The "mutilation" that occurred is done by a knife in a tapping motion. The autopsies were done by a medical examiner without a license, who just happens to be, in the state of Arkansas, an arm of the prosecution. The teenager with the "confession" is mentally retarded, and barely knows and never hung out with his "accomplices." It goes on and on.

But again, please name me one piece of compelling evidence that points to the three.

If Callahans does not convince you then nothing will.

I have read the investigative reports and I found nothing tying them to the crime. Did I miss something? Help!!! TIA

You have to consider that the case against the WM3 began with Misskelley's "confession." Without it, the case completely falls apart. The cops had their theory and molded the confession and evidence to fit it. They saw the evidence through a prism of guilt. It is a perfect example of tunnel vision and faulty logic on behalf of law enforcement. Think about it-- Byers and/or Hobbs could have just as easily have been suspects right off the bat and prosecuted had law enforcement seen the case through the prism of *their* guilt. Flawed thinking and logic happens ALL the time in various situations. It is a human mistake. Unfortunately, it had grave consequences for the accused.

You have to consider that the case against the WM3 began with Misskelley's "confession." Without it, the case completely falls apart. The cops had their theory and molded the confession and evidence to fit it. They saw the evidence through a prism of guilt. It is a perfect example of tunnel vision and faulty logic on behalf of law enforcement. Think about it-- Byers and/or Hobbs could have just as easily have been suspects right off the bat and prosecuted had law enforcement seen the case through the prism of *their* guilt. Flawed thinking and logic happens ALL the time in various situations. It is a human mistake. Unfortunately, it had grave consequences for the accused.

Have you ever wondered why ALL three have made a guilty plea? Especially when you consider that they claim to have had 'new evidence that would prove them innocent'? And that hearing to bring up the evidence was to happen within months of them pleading guilty to the murder of three little boys.

Because they got railroaded by the system once, and were not willing to chance it again.

Not to mention, a whole new trial could take at least a few years. They were not willing to wait that long, considering Echols was on death row.

You can't have such black and white thinking and say "uhh, if they are innocent then why not take it to trial again." Have you been behind bars for 18 years? Do you know what kind of wear and tear a person takes being locked up? If given a get-out-of-jail-free card, I doubt you would park it there rotting in prison, and roll the dice on a new trial with the same system that got you there in the first place. An innocent man thrown in jail for 18 years is not going to be too trusting the second time around.

We live in a country that is extremely "tough on crime" and prosecution-biased. The US of A has one of the most punitive justice system in the modern world. Do you think for ONE MINUTE the state would let these three men out, if they were confident in their case?

They are still pursuing the case. They now just get to do so on the outside.

That was my impression even from just reading the investigative reports. They created their theory on day one and then went in search of finding facts to support their theory and if they couldn't find the evidence, they molded the evidence.

Have you ever wondered why ALL three have made a guilty plea? Especially when you consider that they claim to have had 'new evidence that would prove them innocent'? And that hearing to bring up the evidence was to happen within months of them pleading guilty to the murder of three little boys.

If you were convicted of a crime you had never committed and spent half of your life in prison because of that I would bet my life you would jump at the opportunity of gaining your freedom as opposed to trusting a system that has failed you from the beginning. JMOO.

That was my impression even from just reading the investigative reports. They created their theory on day one and then went in search of finding facts to support their theory and if they couldn't find the evidence, they molded the evidence.
Funny, I've found nothing more to that in all the arguments for innocence I've seen. Probably the most flagrant example is in during the scene which starts at around 1:30:12 in PL2 where Kathy Bakken, Grove Pashley, and Burk Sauls are harassing John Mark Byers to give dental impressions to compare against the purported bite mark which obviously isn't a bite mark, most notably the part when Pashley says "we have no question that they're innocent, so that's one way of trying to prove that." The expressions on his face as he says seems to suggest he subconsciously knows how foolish it to look for evidence to support a conclusion rather than looking at the evidence to determine what conclusions can be reasonably made, but apparently he doesn't consciously realize how illogical it is do do the opposite.

It never ceases to amaze me when intelligent people read / witness the same thing and draw entirely different, often totally opposite, opinions. For instance, many who believe in the guilt of the West Memphis Three trumpet the mantra, "Read the trial transcripts. Read Exhibit 500. You'll see that they are guilty." I want to be clear. I have read the trial transcripts (and the pre-trial hearing transcripts and the Rule 37 hearing transcripts / abstracts) and most of the documents on Callahan's. I have read (and occasionally commented on) the garbage on that WM3 Truth (what a misnomer!) site. I am still of the opinion that the three teenagers tried and convicted of these murders are totally innocent of the crime. I am of the opinion that they were railroaded in order to advance the political careers of some of the key players for the State. The original defense attorneys were all young and inexperienced and (obviously) any advancement they have made career-wise couldn't have been as a result of this case as they lost!

So, telling someone to "read the trial transcripts" is simply not going to make them believe the teenagers to be guilty. Reiterating ad nauseum that "two juries found them guilty" is likewise not impressive. After all, that's why we have an appeals process in this country. If juries were never wrong, then we wouldn't need one. However, our Founding Fathers, in their infinite wisdom, realized that people can (and do) make mistakes. Given the "Satanic panic" of the time and the desire to make someone pay for these horrific murders, I understand why it happened that way.

However, after twenty years, I am of the opinion that it's time for the truth. It's time for the families of the dead little boys as well as the families of the three who spent their twenties and most of their thirties unjustly imprisoned to have closure. All of the truth needs to be made known. It would be nice if the real killer would confess, but he's not mentally challenged, like Jessie, so that's unlikely to happen. Wait! He did confess. It was overheard, and one of the people who overheard it has made a statement (and passed a polygraph) to that effect. Two other people heard the killer's nephew say that his uncle was guilty, and two other statements have been made known which point the finger of suspicion at three additional suspects, at least one of whom was initially mentioned in the early stages of the investigation. Yet, the State of Arkansas does nothing!:banghead:

The thing is, when one looks into the details of you're vague list of who said what, it really doesn't amount to much in the face of all the evidence against the three who were convicted of and eventually plead guilty to the murders. Whoever you're quoting as telling to you to look at the transcripts is wrong, as much of the transcripts are irrelevant to the evidence, and much of the evidence wasn't presented at the trial. With that in mind, what contest do you have with the evidence presented at WM3 Truth?

The thing is, when one looks into the details of you're vague list of who said what, it really doesn't amount to much in the face of all the evidence against the three who were convicted of and eventually plead guilty to the murders. Whoever you're quoting as telling to you to look at the transcripts is wrong, as much of the transcripts are irrelevant to the evidence, and much of the evidence wasn't presented at the trial. With that in mind, what contest do you have with the evidence presented at WM3 Truth?

I keep seeing references to "all the evidence" as if there were a lot of evidence against the WM3. There was scant information against them. What is "all this evidence" besides the supposed confession? For example, what else was there that points to the WM3 as opposed to say Hobbs?

WM3 Truth is a spin factory plain and simple. You can choose to believe that spin and that's fine, but to claim it's not is disingenuous and makes it tougher to take future comments serious.

The fact is that most of those who continue to follow this case are convinced one way or the other. Some are convinced of the guilt of those freed on August 19, 2011. Some, like me, are convinced of their innocence. The real question is how / why people hold their views.

There are many sites and discussion boards that discuss the case, too. The "truth" site bothers me because, as was said, it spins the information, engaging often in outright lies and "opinions" being put out as fact. There are other sites, like the WM3 Blackboard, which spin everything on the side of innocence.

I have read extensively on sites with both spins. I have read on the now-defunct Hoax and on that truth site. I have read Terry Hobbs' blog (which, of course, is not written by TH but by his cousin). I have read on other supporter boards as well.

However, as I have said before, I have read neutral sites like Callahan's and Jivepuppi as well. I believe I am well-versed in the case as opposed to someone who reads exclusively at a biased site and then posts the information there as fact, which it is not. I refuse to take the "bait" and point out the glaring errors on the truth site primarily because I don't want to give that garbage more hits!

What is "all this evidence" besides the supposed confession?
Well, the many other confessions for starters.

For example, what else was there that points to the WM3 as opposed to say Hobbs?
The many confessions alone add up to far more than all the supposed evidence against Hobbs.

WM3 Truth is a spin factory plain and simple.
The evidence presented at WM3 Truth is fact, all with links to the documents on Callahan archives. If you ever care to attempt to substantiate your argument against WM3 Truth's presentation of that evidence, I'd be happy to hear you out, but the evidence exists regardless of how anyone presents it.

You can choose to believe that spin and that's fine, but to claim it's not is disingenuous and makes it tougher to take future comments serious.
I don't see anything serious or genuine about dismissing the evidence as if t were just one solitary "supposed confession", and rather choose to acknowledge the many confessions along with the rest of the publicly available evidence. How is doing otherwise anything but spin?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nursestump
Back