NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill was doing field exercises at the time. This means he was out in the field with MANY other soldiers, it's usually at least a few days and nights long. More often than not they were two weeks long. The entire time he was accounted for. He probably was only able to use his phone sporadically, and he certainly couldn't have left unnoticed without permission. Any permission to leave would have been documented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think that Billy had anything to do with any of this either. He was clearly in another state far away when this happened.

Everyone keep in mind that the last time Renner had a big announcement it was just a ruse to get everyone's IP address.

This time I am pretty sure it actually relates to the case, but I doubt it will be a bombshell.

Any idea on when that "bombshell information" by James Renner will be made available to the general public?

Any idea on when that "bombshell information" by James Renner will be made available to the general public?

Not happening today now. May not happen ever. He just posted the update. Dreams crushed!

Nope. Not gonna happen today--says so on the website right now. His reasoning is that he wants to maintain the integrity of the investigation and the person/people involved in the new lead haven't been interviewed by the police yet.

Some of you bring up an interesting point about her possibly being pregnant. If so, then the attention should be focused not on those last few days, but in the weeks prior. What I'm saying is (and I have NO experience in this deparment): How soon can a woman discover that she is pregnant after conception? A day? 3 days? 7 days? I'm sure it varies from woman to woman, and depends on her ovulation cycle.

In addition, something else occurs to me if she was pregnant: Is it possible--and there are examples of this out there--that Maura was wrecking those cars in an effort to cause a miscarriage? Because before those 2 wrecks, I believe her driving record was spotless--even if she had a drinking/drug problem (that's speculation). But then to have 2 accidents within days, I think some insurance adjuster would be thinking "insurance fraud" under such weird conditions, because the probability of that has to be miniscule--unless both wrecks were on purpose.

Just wondering . . . .

Everyone keep in mind that the last time Renner had a big announcement it was just a ruse to get everyone's IP address.

This time I am pretty sure it actually relates to the case, but I doubt it will be a bombshell.

Called it. Nothing of substance was there. I guess his game of "I've got a big announcement, so come to the blog on this date at this time" will forever be a middle finger to the blog readers.

Nope. Not gonna happen today--says so on the website right now. His reasoning is that he wants to maintain the integrity of the investigation and the person/people involved in the new lead haven't been interviewed by the police yet.

Some of you bring up an interesting point about her possibly being pregnant. If so, then the attention should be focused not on those last few days, but in the weeks prior. What I'm saying is (and I have NO experience in this deparment): How soon can a woman discover that she is pregnant after conception? A day? 3 days? 7 days? I'm sure it varies from woman to woman, and depends on her ovulation cycle.

In addition, something else occurs to me if she was pregnant: Is it possible--and there are examples of this out there--that Maura was wrecking those cars in an effort to cause a miscarriage? Because before those 2 wrecks, I believe her driving record was spotless--even if she had a drinking/drug problem (that's speculation). But then to have 2 accidents within days, I think some insurance adjuster would be thinking "insurance fraud" under such weird conditions, because the probability of that has to be miniscule--unless both wrecks were on purpose.

Just wondering . . . .

FYI: The earliest time you can test for pregnancy is from the first day your missed period is due for most pregnancy tests. This happens approx 14 days after ovulation (or possible conception) for (most) women.

Agree Fireweed. Quelle surprise! Let me guess- the "bombshell" will suddenly be "safe" to be revealed the same date the book is due out- but you have to buy it to find out! *eye roll*

So . . . who was Maura with about . . . two weeks???? . . . before she disappeared?

FYI: The earliest time you can test for pregnancy is from the first day your missed period is due for most pregnancy tests. This happens approx 14 days after ovulation (or possible conception) for (most) women.

Agree Fireweed. Quelle surprise! Let me guess- the "bombshell" will suddenly be "safe" to be revealed the same date the book is due out- but you have to buy it to find out! *eye roll*

Yeah it will be something like that. Note how much of the post is written in the passive voice with the implication that some shadowy authority figure had forbidden the release of the information.
I know Renner comes here and reads these posts so I'll say this to him: don't create a post which states that there will be a "big announcement" post in the future. Just make the post with the announcement. It will save you from looking like a scammer. Please take my advice on this. You're losing even more credibility by doing this. Just stop it.

Quelle surprise! Let me guess- the "bombshell" will suddenly be "safe" to be revealed the same date the book is due out- but you have to buy it to find out! *eye roll*

snip

lolol -- .....^^ this; +1

<modsnip>

Called it. Nothing of substance was there. I guess his game of "I've got a big announcement, so come to the blog on this date at this time" will forever be a middle finger to the blog readers.

You deserve a big ol' "told you so!" I had mostly forgotten about the previous "big announcement" until you reminded me of it last night. That definitely tempered my expectations.

Not happening today now. May not happen ever. He just posted the update. Dreams crushed!

I didn't watch the live show, but apparently LE was ok with Renner releasing the information. I wonder what his concern is since he's never been one to shy away from naming individuals who would rather he didn't.

Renner clearly loves to write about this case and share what he learns, so I'm optimistic that the man won't be able to keep this information a secret for long. It sounds like he has a fresh perspective on the case that will have to come out in future updates. He seems prone to dramatics like this, but I think that's partially because his experience behind the scenes is indeed dramatic. Renner has consistently demonstrated some massive cajones by staking his personal and professional reputations on sharing what he learns. It has to be scary to release that kind of information sometimes, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

You deserve a big ol' "told you so!" I had mostly forgotten about the previous "big announcement" until you reminded me of it last night. That definitely tempered my expectations.

I didn't watch the live show, but apparently LE was ok with Renner releasing the information. I wonder what his concern is since he's never been one to shy away from naming individuals who would rather he didn't.

Renner clearly loves to write about this case and share what he learns, so I'm optimistic that the man won't be able to keep this information a secret for long. It sounds like he has a fresh perspective on the case that will have to come out in future updates. He seems prone to dramatics like this, but I think that's partially because his experience behind the scenes is indeed dramatic. Renner has consistently demonstrated some massive cajones by staking his personal and professional reputations on sharing what he learns. It has to be scary to release that kind of information sometimes, so I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand is it very easy to keep a secret that doesn't exist.

There is no logical reason to announce a bombshell before the bombshell.

Exciting news of what's to come? Stay tuned! Never mind.

Baloney.

MOO

Baloney.

MOO
Exactly!!!

Sent from my A3-A10 using Tapatalk

...aaaaand another disappointment.
I guess no one is truly surprised but still, it's hard not to feel duped.

It seems very much like Renner is portraying this to be a new POI, one probably that's never been known before, perhaps romantically linked to Maura.

One has to wonder, if this is another dead end that LE already checked out...

...if there is in fact new news, of course.

Baloney.

MOO

I agree! Renner is just toying with people interested in this case. He wants to roll in the attention the new Podcast is creating. Adding that he won't tell us his new info because LE is investigating is a nice touch. Must be real important then, right? But you'll have to read his book to find out.

This same strategy has been used before by other bloggers/writers trying to stir up interest in their books. People don't like being played with. Either you have info to share or you don't. Why even bring it up otherwise? It's a bad strategy. IMO

I agree! Renner is just toying with people interested in this case. He wants to roll in the attention the new Podcast is creating. Adding that he won't tell us his new info because LE is investigating is a nice touch. Must be real important then, right? But you'll have to read his book to find out.

This same strategy has been used before by other bloggers/writers trying to stir up interest in their books. People don't like being played with. Either you have info to share or you don't. Why even bring it up otherwise? It's a bad strategy. IMO
It's sort of rude. You feel like a sucker. Of course there was no bombshell that Renner was going to share. Of course not. I don't understand why Renner wants his potential book buyers to feel stupid. Is making your customer feel stupid really a good strategy? You know, for years despite my changing opinions about Renner and his book I never once wavered in my plan to buy the book when it came out but now I'm not so sure. I am now convinced more than ever that there will nothing of substance in it. I was skeptical when he announced that the book was really about him but now I'm greatly doubting that this man will even come close to delivering on his promise. I'm going to wait and see what the response to the book is here in the board before I buy it, before I was going to pre order it.

It's sort of rude. You feel like a sucker. Of course there was no bombshell that Renner was going to share. Of course not. I don't understand why Renner wants his potential book buyers to feel stupid. Is making your customer feel stupid really a good strategy? You know, for years despite my changing opinions about Renner and his book I never once wavered in my plan to buy the book when it came out but now I'm not so sure. I am now convinced more than ever that there will nothing of substance in it. I was skeptical when he announced that the book was really about him but now I'm greatly doubting that this man will even come close to delivering on his promise. I'm going to wait and see what the response to the book is here in the board before I buy it, before I was going to pre order it.

You seem to have a much better understanding of Renner than I do, so I'm interested to hear more. If I understand correctly, you believe he doesn't have bombshell information to explain the purpose of Maura's drive that night? Do you think he'll hold this lead over our heads in order to increase book sales? Wouldn't he have to delay the release date to make a major revision like that?

I know that I've come off as a Renner apologist in the last few pages, but I'm genuinely curious to know what you think. It seems like he would really piss off his reader base if he takes the route I think you're suggesting. As far as I know, Renner doesn't have a track record of withholding substantial information, which is a major reason that I want his book to succeed. I won't be so supportive if he starts toying with us to increase book sales.

i too am really disappointed in Renner. not that i argue with the investigation & getting justice for the victim being more important than my own insatiable curiousity. but still, this latest "bombshell" and then no-bombshell kinda smells funny.

not sure how i feel about Renner, he does seem to make it all about him. which is his right, but i bet most people reading these blogs are not as interested in how the search for Amy's killer and what happened to Maura affects/affected HIM as they are about what the hell happened to those girls. i attempted to read his fiction book "Man from Primrose Lane" and gave it up after a while. maybe it's a coincidence but seemed to me that "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was a major influence and the story was just not that interesting after a while.

maybe that's all Renner has to say about the subjects, how it affected him. again, his right but just a little ego-centric and not interesting to me as much.

You seem to have a much better understanding of Renner than I do, so I'm interested to hear more. If I understand correctly, you believe he doesn't have bombshell information to explain the purpose of Maura's drive that night? Do you think he'll hold this lead over our heads in order to increase book sales? Wouldn't he have to delay the release date to make a major revision like that?

I know that I've come off as a Renner apologist in the last few pages, but I'm genuinely curious to know what you think. It seems like he would really piss off his reader base if he takes the route I think you're suggesting. As far as I know, Renner doesn't have a track record of withholding substantial information, which is a major reason that I want his book to succeed. I won't be so supportive if he starts toying with us to increase book sales.

I often come across as a Renner apologist too. I actually support the guy. In the beginning I was totally blown away by his blog and his incisive questions about the case. I thought it was really cool that he was sort of making his book a collaborative effort. It has been very interesting seeing this unfold soon after it unfolds for the author. I applaud Renner for really putting it out there and doing something totally different in the genre of true "crime" (still up for debate). I read his book on Amy Mihaljevik and I enjoyed it.

There are some things that have happened in the past couple of years, however, which have put me off him a bit. First, he has put some things on the blog without any sources that I find distasteful, like Maura being in orgies. This information may be true. However, he will make a post about this and not cite his source, which makes it seem sort of slimy. Now had the book come out a month after that post, I would feel differently. But here has been a rather salacious item about Maura and it has just been "hanging" out there for about two years. Now the family has said that Renner and internet sleuths are mean, but if a person new to the case came across that post right away, isn't that sort of the conclusion they would draw? The post was perhaps meant to titillate and grab the interest of potential book readers, but I think it ultimately will alienate people more than anything.

Then he says his book, which we were promised for years would be about Maura, is actually about himself and his experience researching this case. This is not the book we were promised and by inserting himself in the story, I think he once more cheapened the case. The reaction to the new book concept was overwhelmingly negative. No one liked Renner's announcement. He censored negative criticism and acted like we were all just not getting it. So here is an author who gets something any other author would kill for: a ready-made, free focus group. He should have gone back to the drawing board with the book idea. Instead, he publishes it knowing that this is not the book his readers want nor thought they would get. I cannot not believe that Renner, a perfectly respectable though by know means massively successful writer, would not take this unique opportunity and truly run with it.

Finally we have today's little charade. For the second time, Renner has promised a big announcement and not delivered. The first one I can forgive, but this one? Seriously Renner, grow some and post what you know already. If you do not have the fortitude to follow through with it, then do not post the "big announcement Friday!" post. It's immature and rude. Once more, he has cheapened the project as it were.

So for those reasons I am no longer holding my breath regarding the quality of the final book.

i too am really disappointed in Renner. not that i argue with the investigation & getting justice for the victim being more important than my own insatiable curiousity. but still, this latest "bombshell" and then no-bombshell kinda smells funny.

not sure how i feel about Renner, he does seem to make it all about him. which is his right, but i bet most people reading these blogs are not as interested in how the search for Amy's killer and what happened to Maura affects/affected HIM as they are about what the hell happened to those girls. i attempted to read his fiction book "Man from Primrose Lane" and gave it up after a while. maybe it's a coincidence but seemed to me that "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was a major influence and the story was just not that interesting after a while.

maybe that's all Renner has to say about the subjects, how it affected him. again, his right but just a little ego-centric and not interesting to me as much.

I used to be a script reader and I could always spot the work of a middling talent because the movie would be autobiographical. It is much easier to write a piece centered around yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member