NH NH - Maura Murray, 21, Haverhill, 9 Feb 2004 - # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping that 2006 is the year that Maura's family gets the answers they so seek.

Please note the following change:

ABC 20/20 had announced to the Murray Family that Maura would be featured in the 01/06/06 episode - this coming Friday. According to an annoucement on www.mauramurray.com ABC flew Maura's boyfriend and his mother to New York for interviews and toured the area in which Maura went missing with Fred Murray, her father.

However, the following, was posted on www.mauramurray by Sharon; I am posting here with her permission.

FYI:

Sharonfromwww.mauramurray.com said:
The assistant producer for the ABC 20/20 Show has just notified me that the show featuring Maura will not air this Friday, 01/06/06.

It has tentatively been rescheduled for an undetermined date in February.

"Our help is from the Lord, who created heaven and earth." Psalm 24:8

Please note the following change:

ABC 20/20 had announced to the Murray Family that Maura would be featured in the 01/06/06 episode - this coming Friday. According to an annoucement on www.mauramurray.com ABC flew Maura's boyfriend and his mother to New York for interviews and toured the area in which Maura went missing with Fred Murray, her father.

However, the following, was posted on www.mauramurray by Sharon; I am posting here with her permission.

FYI:

Sharonfromwww.mauramurray.com said:

The assistant producer for the ABC 20/20 Show has just notified me that the show featuring Maura will not air this Friday, 01/06/06.

It has tentatively been rescheduled for an undetermined date in February.

That's unfortunate that it got delayed. It would be nice, though, if they air it on the anniversary of her disappearance. May start some memories going with any potential witnesses.

PIs working for free to find UMass student
By Jessica Fargen
Wednesday, January 4, 2006 - Updated: 07:43 AM EST

A team of a dozen private investigators is taking a fresh look at the case of missing college student Maura Murray after her family charged that New Hampshire authorities didn’t do enough to find the woman they last saw two years ago.

<snip>

“It’s a real mystery,” said Thomas Shamshak, who is part of the investigative team.
“Maura vanished. Could Maura be alive? Yeah, I think the family would hope that she went someplace else and may be living. But there’s also the possibility she’s not alive.”

View complete article at Link:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=119779&format=text

PIs working for free to find UMass student
By Jessica Fargen
Wednesday, January 4, 2006 - Updated: 07:43 AM EST

A team of a dozen private investigators is taking a fresh look at the case of missing college student Maura Murray after her family charged that New Hampshire authorities didn’t do enough to find the woman they last saw two years ago.

<snip>

“It’s a real mystery,” said Thomas Shamshak, who is part of the investigative team.
“Maura vanished. Could Maura be alive? Yeah, I think the family would hope that she went someplace else and may be living. But there’s also the possibility she’s not alive.”

View complete article at Link:

http://news.bostonherald.com/localR...779&format=text

Private Investigators Renew Search For Missing Woman

21-Year-Old Disappears After Car Accident In New Hampshire

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Maura Murray disappeared in February 2004 after walking away from an accident that she had in Haverhill, N.H. The mystery of what happened to the 21-year-old University of Massachusetts nursing student still lingers.

..."A young lady, seemingly with everything going for her, just vanishes off the face of the Earth," private investigator Thomas Shamshak said.

.... "They're in the throes of a crisis. I could not imagine something like that happening to me. When I look into these peoples' eyes they want some closure, they need some help. That's what we're offering. That's all we can offer is some hope and bring some peace to this crisis," he said.

More: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/5845343/detail.html?rss=bos&psp=news

NewsCenter 5's Amalia Barreda reported that Maura Murray disappeared in February 2004 after walking away from an accident that she had in Haverhill, N.H. The mystery of what happened to the 21-year-old University of Massachusetts nursing student still lingers.

..."A young lady, seemingly with everything going for her, just vanishes off the face of the Earth," private investigator Thomas Shamshak said.

.... "They're in the throes of a crisis. I could not imagine something like that happening to me. When I look into these peoples' eyes they want some closure, they need some help. That's what we're offering. That's all we can offer is some hope and bring some peace to this crisis," he said.

It’s a real mystery,” said Thomas Shamshak, who is part of the investigative team.
“Maura vanished. Could Maura be alive? Yeah, I think the family would hope that she went someplace else and may be living.

Apparently this person is under the impression that her family "hopes" that she went someplace else and may be living. I have never, ever heard anyone from her family express any "hope" that Maura is alive and well. I guess he is expressing this view in regards to a normal family with a normal response.

Guess he has not spoken to Maura Father and family who have made no qualms about the speculation and assumption that they "just know" that Maura is dead. They wrote her off for dead quite some time ago. This investigator is giving Maura more respect then her own Father.

A normal family would hope against hope that their adult child is alive and well and living someplace else. Even though a fair bit of time has passed, I would think a family would find comfort that their adult child ran away from them and is happy and alive, rather then write them off for dead within two months. Years may pass, but they will always hope that their adult child will be found and/or resurface.. They even refuse to entertain any notion or possibility that their adult child may be dead. They don't even want to listen to "talk" like that.

They would not write off their adult child for dead unless they have conclusive irrefutable evidence that their "remains" have been found. Even then a lot of parents are in disbelief and denial.

There have been many, many instances where the parents just "know" that their adult child did not run away, only to be faced years later with the fact that their adult child is alive and well and chooses not to have contact with them.

In one case, after 13 years through "people search" a man was found and then he told "investigators" he wants no contact with his family. This was his choice, in his best interest. I guess he had no qualms about leaving them wondering if he was alive or dead. But then again, he is putting himself above the 'wants and wishes" of what his family expects. He is putting himself and his new family first. Not all families are nice people and there are those who believe that you have an "obligation" to put up with how they treat you and there is nothing that can be done. Well there is something that can be done, you can "run away" and leave them behind. Do you think then they just "might" get the message that when you said "don't tell me what to do, don't run my life, don't control me, don't treat me like garbage, that now they may finally get the message that you are not around to be treated in that manner.

But there’s also the possibility she’s not alive

As far as Fred Murray is concerned, this is not "a possibility", because only two months after Maura ran away, "he wrote her off for dead." I have never heard him say that he "thinks" that she is alive and living someplace else. Not once. So as far as Fred Murray is concerned he wants to find her dead body to bring closure to his family. As far as Fred Murray is concerned Maura has been dead for a long time now and it is just a matter of finding out how, why, where and by whom she died. He does not want to find a missing person, he wants to recover her body.

I guess some people's personality type will not even entertain the possibility that their adult child ran away and does not want to contact them for their own reasons. The word ego comes to mind.

What parent would rather choose their child is dead when there is nothing supporting this assumption, rather then their adult child ran away from them and does not want to contact them. That is not a normal response.

Happy adults do not (a) run away from their family and(b) not contact them. But as far as this family is concerned, Maura was just a happy little camper looking forward to being a 1)Nurse 2)Wife 3)Mother and 4) Army wife.

I wonder how close Maura felt to them............and if she wanted to have her whole life planned out for her by her family at the tender age of 21.

I guess at 21, you can actually change your mind about what your want for your future and whom you want in your future. After all, people do grow and change. Unfortunately, for some family members what they decide for you is what you are going to do and are expected to do. Because if you decided not to "tow" the line it creates family conflict and the lesser of two evils is just to avoid the conflict and abide by their "wishes". Even if you are not happy, this is of no concern to the "family".

Or you can run away and live your life the way you want........according to what you want.

I again have no doubt what so ever that Maura is alive and well. None.....

Heck I would even put money on that.........seriously.

CyberLaw said:
But as far as this family is concerned, Maura was just a happy little camper looking forward to being a 1)Nurse 2)Wife 3)Mother and 4) Army wife.

I wonder how close Maura felt to them............and if she wanted to have her whole life planned out for her by her family at the tender age of 21.

I guess at 21, you can actually change your mind about what your want for your future and whom you want in your future. After all, people do grow and change. Unfortunately, for some family members what they decide for you is what you are going to do and are expected to do. Because if you decided not to "tow" the line it creates family conflict and the lesser of two evils is just to avoid the conflict and abide by their "wishes". Even if you are not happy, this is of no concern to the "family".

Or you can run away and live your life the way you want........according to what you want.

I again have no doubt what so ever that Maura is alive and well. None.....

Heck I would even put money on that.........seriously.
Again, I ask you, how is it that YOU who have never met Maura can know more about her than all of her family, her fiance and his family and her best friends who have known her since they were children?

Why does a person have to run away to live their life the way they want to?

Maura chose WP - Maura chose to leave WP - Maura chose UMass - Maura chose her boyfriend/fiance - Maura chose her friends........... Maura chose to take a trip to NH -

Did Maura choose to vanish? I hope so - in spite of what you say, her family hopes so.

And contrary, to what you theorize on this thread, Fred Murray has met with Tom Shamshank and all of the other members of the voluntary investigative group. You report to us that you are an attorney.........do you honestly believe that a group of private investigators referred to the Murray Family by John and Maggi Bish are going to take on the case WITHOUT speaking to Mr. Murray?

Once again, I remind everyone: analyze what you read - Is it fact or opinion?

When I post an opinion here, I always state that it is my opinion or my theory. Otherwise, I post only facts. FYI for new readers: Although I am not related to Maura, I am well acquainted with many people who have known her since she was a child. I see their pain - and I have never heard any of them relate that Maura had controlling family members or a controlling fiance.

And, again I ask you, CyberLaw, (for you have yet to reply) is it fair to accuse the Murray family of being the cause for Maura's missing? There is no evidence to support that Maura ran away because of her family or her boyfriend. It is very misleading for you to state that she did because you are/were a runaway from your family.........(this is from earlier posts that were mistakenly deleted by the moderator when the new forum was established)

If anyone cares to read your post in the thread in
Missing But Not Forgotten , they will see that ONCE AGAIN you have posted your opinion about Maura's case without answering my question.

I am sure that all members of Websleuths occasionally fail to respond to a question, but you have been asked numerous questions by many of us and you continually ignore us.

Thank you for posting here instead of the threads for the support for the family.

Cyberlaw, In regards to one of your claims, that the Murray family would never know if she was found, that is just simply not true. They may not be able to know specifically where she is if she were found alive but since this is actually being investigated by real live people - if Maura was found - they would not just sit there and continue the charade of searching for her, having her on missing lists. Her case would have to be removed from all those places, and from unsolved to solved, whether or not they were told where she was and then, yes, she may or not decide to have contact with them. But they would be able to find out one way or another whether she was out there.

Interesting reminder from Peabody.
I had almost forgotten all about the claim of you successfully running away from your family.

PrayersForMaura said:

NOW we may finally get some answers to the questions.....and Maura can be brought home..

Seems that despite some media reports, loved ones do still retain some hope that Maura is living:

Printed with Permission From WWW.MauraMurray.com
Helena Murray wrote:LOCAL NEWS

New eyes look for missing woman: 12 volunteers could act as ‘catalyst’ in search for student from Hanson

By JOE McGEE
The Patriot Ledger

A team of private investigators is joining forces with the family of Maura Murray to help find the missing 22-year-old Hanson woman.

John Healy, a retired New Hampshire State Police trooper, is leading the 12-man group of volunteers. They are already focusing on a few leads police might not have looked into, Healy said yesterday.

‘‘There are a couple of remote parking areas and fishing areas two to three miles from the highway and those areas may not have been searched yet,’’ Healy said.

Murray disappeared on Feb. 9, 2004, after her car was involved in a minor single-vehicle accident on Route 112 in Haverhill, N.H.

Nearly two years later, the effort to find her has been re-energized, not only by the volunteer group but by national media attention and a recently filed legal petition.

The Murray case will be featured on the ABC-TV news program ‘‘20/20’’ next month. The segment will be titled ‘‘Vanished.’’

Murray’s family has been at odds with New Hampshire authorities. The family says police have not done enough to keep them informed about the investigation.

<snip>

Sharon Rausch, the mother of Murray’s boyfriend, said the family is hoping for a resolution.

‘‘We all still feel that the odds are that Maura isn’t living, but it’s important for us to bring her home,’’ Rausch said. ‘‘We loved her, and if someone harmed her, they ought to be brought to justice.’’

Joe McGee may be reached at jmcgee@ledger.com.

Copyright 2006 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Thursday, January 05, 2006
Sharon said:
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/01/05/news/news09.txt

I would like to clarify my quote in the Patriot Ledger. Joe McGee and I talked for more than 30 minutes; I am sure that he cannot print eveything one says.

Regarding my quote, what I said in entirety was:

Knowing her, we all still feel that the odds are that Maura isn’t living, but until we have proof, we cannot give up hope. Even if she is no longer living, it's important for us to bring her home. We love Maura, and if someone harmed her, they ought to be brought to justice. We would want justice for her. The citizens of NH should also want justice so that another innocent person will not be harmed.

I don't believe for one minute than anyone (But the odd one or two) reading about Maura has any doubts that her family has their beloved Maura's best interests at heart.

Glad some fresh eyes have come onboard. Hoping they find some answers.

"20/20" report on Maura Murray to air late Jan., early Feb.

By The Associated Press | January 6, 2006

A national television report on the case of a mysterious disappearance in northern New Hampshire won't air until late January or early February, the network said Friday.

Reports last month indicated that a "20/20" report on Massachusetts nursing student Maura Murray would air Friday night. But Alyssa Apple, spokeswoman for the ABC newsmagazine in New York, said the program is still being worked on.

More at Link: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2006/01/06/2020_report_on_maura_murray_to_air_late_jan_early_feb/

"20/20" report on Maura Murray to air late Jan., early Feb.

By The Associated Press | January 6, 2006

A national television report on the case of a mysterious disappearance in northern New Hampshire won't air until late January or early February, the network said Friday.

Reports last month indicated that a "20/20" report on Massachusetts nursing student Maura Murray would air Friday night. But Alyssa Apple, spokeswoman for the ABC newsmagazine in New York, said the program is still being worked on.

More at Link: http://www.boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/articles/2006/01/06/2020_report_on_maura_murray_to_air_late_jan_early_feb/

Maura's story about 12 private detectives coming together and looking at the case was on Greta last night. I hope they find some answers

Guess he has not spoken to Maura Father and family who have made no qualms about the speculation and assumption that they "just know" that Maura is dead. They wrote her off for dead quite some time ago. This investigator is giving Maura more respect then her own Father.

........As far as Fred Murray is concerned, this is not "a possibility", because only two months after Maura ran away, "he wrote her off for dead." I have never heard him say that he "thinks" that she is alive and living someplace else. Not once. So as far as Fred Murray is concerned he wants to find her dead body to bring closure to his family. As far as Fred Murray is concerned Maura has been dead for a long time now and it is just a matter of finding out how, why, where and by whom she died. He does not want to find a missing person, he wants to recover her body.....Cyberlaw

I would remind anyone who reads the above that nobody has any idea what goes on in the family's minds and hearts on a day-to-day basis...I don't recall that Cyberlaw ever mentioned knowing anyody in Maura's family let alone spending time or having a conversation with any of them....Mr. Shamshak has. Cyberlaw's assessment is made based on what he has read in the newspapers, which is determined by editors, not even the journalists many of whom have spoken with Maura's family members. Although, I must say, I have never understood CL's oft repeated apparent personal contempt for the Murrays.

Quite a while ago, I wrote a response to Cybelaw and other posters here, which I decided not to post...the gist of it was that speculation and theories are helpful...if only to rule out certain things. Quite a while ago, there was specualtion that Maura might have been involved in an alleged hit and run in Amherst a few days before she left.......it took family and friends quite a bit of time to make contact with a person who was with Maura at the time of this incident and to determine that it was not possible for Maura to have been involved. The reality is that it gave some hope that perhaps if she had been involved she might have run away. Think of how sad that is that that would become a hopeful situation.

I don't have a problem with theories...it is pretty much all we have at this point. I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN SOMEONE'S THEORY IS PRESENTED AS FACT. If anybody posting here has any known facts, I would urge them to contact either the NH State Police Major Crimes Unit, the Private Detectives the family is working with through the Molly Bish Foundation or contact a moderator on Maura's website. There is also a P.O. Box listed on Maura's website where you can send information giving as much or as little information about yourself as you choose:
MauraMurray.com, P.O. Box 466, Humarock, MA 02047​

mssheila said:
Maura's story about 12 private detectives coming together and looking at the case was on Greta last night. I hope they find some answers
According to an annoucement on WWW.MauraMurray.com the same private investigator, Tom Shamshak and Helena Murray will appear on Fox News' "The Line-UP" on Sunday evening, January 8th (TOMORROW) at 9:00 PM EST.

Sharon makes a very good suggestion at WWW.MauraMurray.com and suggests that we not only watch the show, but that we email a '"thank you" to Fox News.

And, again I ask you, CyberLaw, (for you have yet to reply) is it fair to accuse the Murray family of being the cause for Maura's missing? There is no evidence to support that Maura ran away because of her family or her boyfriend. It is very misleading for you to state that she did because you are/were a runaway from your family.........(this is from earlier posts that were mistakenly deleted by the moderator when the new forum was established)

Well let me review the timeline here. Lets just look at the facts after the accident in her Dad's new car, that caused 10K in damage, with alcohol as a factor.

She sees him late Sunday afternoon, early Sunday evening. She has to tell him that the smashed his car, in a single car accident, with clear roads, by hitting a guardrail at around 4:a.m. to 5 a.m. Remember her family has very high expectations from her.....as she is a track star, highly accomplished person.

So let me see, that very same night at around 12:00 midnight. Maura comes back to her room and looks up directions to Vermont. She packs up her room, e-mails her professors and employers that "there has been a death in the family" and that she is expected to be gone for a week. This gives her a week's head start on the road away from everyone she knows. So of course the timing of this road trip on the very same day that she had to admit to her Father her "lack of judgement in drinking and driving". Of course I am sure that her Dad, was just thrilled. So she did not decided to leave school, on the Friday before seeing her Dad, or even the Saturday after the party. Or a week later..... It was on the very same day she had to suffer her Father's wrath. Of course again, this is a coincidence...........

Maura's sister went to WP. Did Maura choose West Point or was it expected that she was going to be a follow in her sister footstep and go to WP. But what gets me, is that she was obviously not happy with the military way of life, but then again she was expected to be an army wife. She did not want to study Chem Eng. and changed her major to a completly different field of Nursing. It seems to me, that Maura was "unsettled" in what she wanted to do with her life, which at 21 is perfectly understandable.

Also, did Maura choose UMASS. Remember her BF "helped" her choose. Again I am sure it is just a coincidence(yet again)that this was the school her Dad went to. Again, I am sure it is just another coincidene(yet again)that she choose the very same profession as her Mother.

When a child chooses to follow in their parents footsteps and their old Alma, it is very much a case of pleasing the parents, but not exactly what the child wants. Was Maura "pressured" to follow in the steps of Mom or Dad. I can see a child becoming a lawyer like Dad, but also attending the same school. Usually if that is the case.....the child is trying to "curry" favor with the parents. Trust me when I say that parents are "pleased" when their child chooses to emulate them in a way that they see as "positive" and a reflection that the child wants to be just like Mom and Dad.

Again, it is just a coincidence that the "nothing" phone call from her Sister at the security desk "had nothing" to do with Maura breaking down distraught and in tears." After all according to the sister "Maura probably just wanted to get off work". I guess it is easier to believe that your sister wanted to 'slack off" rather then you are the cause of her being distraught.

Again, I am sure that is is just a coincidence that these people just deny anything LE says and then turns to LE and ciritizes them. I am sure there was no note(according to her BF) in her dorm room, indicating problems with the relationship with her BF(who has since now become her Fiance, figure that one out). I am sure that she would not have faced "family" pressure to continue because these people seem to put "appearances" before what Maura may have wanted. Do you think her "family" would be happy if she choose not to continue in a long term relationship or would she have faced pressure form all sides(including BF Mom) to fix the relationship. Even if she wanted a clear break........I don't think so. Been there, done that. I know families feel that they can make choices and pressure you do do what they feel is "right"f or you, even if you feel differently.

So the people who claim they are "experts" on her character because they have known Maura since she was young. Hello, I knew a kid in my son's grade one class, knew him for years, A great kid, wonderful........I am defending him now....... . How a person is as a child, is not the same as when they grown up to be an adult. Growing up is the key word here.

If I had a dime for everytime I hear "He was a great kid, he would never get into trouble. I knew him from birth. I knew his family. I grew up with him. I never thought in a million years that he would get into trouble.

Remember Scott Peterson friends and relatives thought that he was the "golden boy" and look how that turned out. His old teachers said that he was a joy to teach. People "praised" his character. Old childhood friends testified how "great Scott Peterson was". I am sure in a million years Laci's family and Laci herself never thought Scott would commit this terrible, horrible crime again Laci and Connor. I am sure his childhood friends never thought that he would do this also. The "character" that he let the world see as compared to what he actually was and did are two totally different things.

So in conclusion. the timing of Maura "departure" in relation to the "interaction" with her Father is suspect. The claim of "we have known Maura since she was a child, is irrelevant. Unless Maura told these people, her innermost thought, feeling, secrets, aspirations, relationship toubles, how she feels about her BF and family, they don't know Maura as an adult.

Funny how people change once they grow up.................

Again, happy people don't ditch their families and runaway from them.

Happy people don't tell their BF one thing, all the while planning and actually in the process of leaving and not looking back.

I hope the BF does not actually plan on marrying Maura, he does not even know at this point if she may be married to another person.....or living with another person. Or dating.......or in a relationship..........

She left him behind......without telling him that she was planning to be gone for at least a week. That would be a week's head start...............

I am sure it is soooooo much easier for her family to "think" that they had nothing to do with Maura's final decision to run away. I am sure they deny there was ever any trouble.............of course they will. Would you expect anything different........denying is a coping mechanism.......

I am sure they want and feel they are blameless in all of this. It is all the fault of LE for not finding Maura.

I am sure the intent was not to make Maura flee. They had no idea. But sometimes a person says: Enough is enough........and they reach the final straw, the last straw........and a decision(which they have thought about, but not acted on) is put into place. They experience that one final factor, that gave them a push. Sometimes the person feels they need a reason, however small to put their long thought about plan into place.

You don't pack up a dorm room with the intention of returning to school. You don't leave a note for your BF indicating "problems" in the relationship if you feel that you can talk to him and work them out. You don't lie to your professors that you need a week off and then pack up your dorm room. You don't leave and not tell anyone where you are going and when you are going to be back if you intended to do same.

Like I said again: Please show me a newspaper article(recent) in which her Father states: I hope and pray my daughter is alive and living someplace else. Show me an article where any of her immediate family says this. Helena Murray is not an immediate relative.

When did the BF propose to Maura in the last two years. I must have missed that............but yet again "another spin" put forth by this family.

No one would know the whole story until they actually speak to Maura. There are always two sides to every story. Unfortunately, we get the "sanitized" version put forth by her family and BF. The self serving version...........

If I recall correctly in the early days, I can't remember whom, but there was information that Maura was depressed. Often depression in a young adult is anger turned inwards............often depressed young adults will abuse and use alcohol.

If you have any other question, please feel free to ask. If I can answer them, I will. But remember I don't have a crystal ball..............:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici