NJ NJ - Depford, WhtFem 16-20, UP1489, in woods, pearl necklace, sweatpants, Feb'90

I've redacted text from the article that does not appear to add information not already on this thread in accordance with the copyright rules for this site. I've retyped the text from the original article archived on microfiche at the Gloucester County Historical Society Library.

Gloucester County Times Feb 7, 1990
Hunters find body in Deptford woods
By John Barna, Staff Writer
Deptford Twp.-The badly decomposed body of a young woman has been found in a wooded area off Caulfield Avenue here, authorities said Tuesday.
The body was discovered (material redacted due to copyright limitations)in the wooded tract that is expected to eventually be part of the Locust Grove Farms development, according to Gloucester County Prosecuter Richard E. Hickey III.
(material redacted due to copyright limitations)
Hickey described the finding as “human skeletal remains…What is left has been mummified.”
“The body has been there for some time,” Hickey said.
Gloucester County Medical Examiner Dr. Claus P. Speth said he was able to determine Tuesday night that the body was that of a woman between the ages of 25 and 28, about 5 feet, 5 inches tall with brown hair.
He said an examination of the skull showed that the deceased was a Caucasion. He said the skull contained a full set of teeth, and noted the teeth had been subjected to extensive dental work.
The body was found in what one official described as a “thick bramble patch” about one-half mile from the rear of the Plaza at Deptford shopping center that fronts on Clements Bridge Road.
The area is a combination of cornfields, woods and dirt trails often used by people riding motorcycles.

I've redacted text from the article that does not appear to add information not already on this thread in accordance with the copyright rules for this site. I've retyped the text from the original article archived on microfiche at the Gloucester County Historical Society Library.

This article contradicts itself as the time of death could not be both back to at least the fall of 1988 and up to one year before the discovery.

Gloucester County Times, Sunday, Feb. 11, 1990
Tests show body in Deptford was teen girl
By John Barna, Staff Writer
Woodbury – The skeletal remains of a woman found last week in a Deptford Township cornfield are now believed to be those of someone between 16 and 20 years of age.
Gloucester County Prosecutor Richard E. Hickey III also indicated that the body, (text redacted due to copyright rules for this site), may have been there for up to a year before being discovered by several hunters.
Additional tests performed at the state Medical Examiner’s laboratory in Newark resulted in the revised age estimate, said Dr. Claus P. Speth, Gloucester County medical examiner. Speth had initially estimated the victim was in her mid-20’s.
The tests completed Friday by Dr. Donna Fontana in the state medical examiner’s office indicated the woman was probably a teen-ager when she died.
Speth said Fontana, a forensic anthropologist for the state, arrived at her estimated age based on examination of the pelvic bones and the clavical bone as it meets the breast plate. Speth said he had arrived at his determination that the woman was older based on an “overall” examination of the remains.
Speth said he would concur with Fontana’s findings. The forensic anthropologist agreed with the medical examiner with his conclusion that the woman was approximately 5-feet, 5-inches tall, Caucasion and had brown hair.
Hickey, who said he was unaware of the new age estimate, said he may seek a “consensus” opinion of a third party.
Given the possibility that the victim is a teen-ager, Hickey said his investigators may have to factor in the possibility that the victim was a runaway. Under the previous age estimate, Hickey said detectives were working on the theory the victim probably had a job, a boyfriend or was married.
(text redacted due to copyright rules for this site)
However, he said the woman’s remains may have been in the isolated section of field a half-mile from a Clements Bridge Road shopping center for up to one year.
He said that the remains were covered with leaves that had not begun to decompose. That places the time of death at least back to the late fall, 1988, Hickey said. He said the leaves under the body had begun to decompose.
“We have done a missing person’s package through the East Coast to see if there was some sort of match,” Hickey said.
One lead is the extensive amount of dental work the victim had received prior to her death, Hickey said. Speth said the woman’s teeth had “numerous” cavity fillings. In addition, there were fillings on the sides of at least two teeth to rebuild damaged areas, he said.
Based on that, Hickey said checks are being made of area dentists.
The remains were little more than bones and some soft tissue that had mummified, Speth said. The body was found near several motor vehicle parts that had been abandoned in a field that eventually is to be part of the Locust Grove housing development.
Scraps of clothing and three pieces of jewelry were found near the body.

The original map is in the Gloucester County Historical Society Library. They were closing so I didn't get a chance to write down the reference info. It is not clear if the dashed line labelled Locust Grove Blvd signifies a dirt road or a proposed road. The map did not contain a legend.

Attachments

• Deptford map 1988.jpg
    Deptford map 1988.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 39
I don't know why I was thinking it was closer to the mall. Thanks for typing the stories out.
It is a huge shopping area now.
Back later.

Plato's Closet

Let me start by way of introduction that I grew up within 6 miles of the area she was found and still live in the vicinity. I am about her age so I do run the risk of over-identifying with her, but may be able to bring some insight into things that puzzle others.

The area is still within easy walking distance of the mall. Although close to highways and "isolated" once you are in the woods, the roads around the area are not infrequently traveled. Clements Bridge Road is very busy and was then. Caulfield Ave has houses that were there then. Unless it was possible to drive up Locust Grove, I don't think it was a likely "dump site". Seems to me like it is more like that she walked back under her own power rather than someone carrying a body and risk being seen. It seems like a party spot. That would make her relatively local. She may be very local or have taken a bus to the mall.

The sweatpants, stockings, kneehighs, and socks seem perfectly in keeping to me. I think it was somewhat cold and she knew she was going to be walking on the cold ground, maybe in the fall or spring. I would doubt it would be full blown winter or summer. She doesn't own long johns hence layering. My instincts on this were somewhat confirmed when I discussed it with a friend, who also grew up in the area. I did not tell her what I thought the clothes combination meant or what others had hypothesized, but she immediately said, "So it was cold."

It would not have been unusual, in my estimation, to wear pearls, gold earrings, and sweatpants. My guess is that the sweatpants were far from scruffy and she wore them because she was going to be walking in the woods. A 16 inch strand is more Princess Diana than Madonna. She was a lady and, if she was anything like me, wore make-up to take out the trash. As a kid, she did the best that she could to project that she was a lady with what she had. The clothes probably put her as younger rather than older. I realize I am reading a lot into very little, but those are my impressions.

I looked through the Gloucester County Times for Feb 1989 to see what I could find. It does not appear that they listed runaways in the Crime Logs, but might be worth a go for the fall of 1988 anyway. I did see young girls with lots of very big hair and yes, some pearls.

A full set of teeth, albeit with multiple repaired caries, would seem to eliminate Carolyn Edwards.

I have little time but if anyone can think of a way to continue looking into this case that would be easier to someone in the area, please let me know. She initially came to my attention (and stayed there) when I thought she looked very much like someone I knew back in the day. I believe that I've found that person under a married name, but I would like to figure out who the Deptford Lady is.

Welcome to the forum btw!
Not sure if you missed the articles Zwiebel posted

Deptford Death Called A Murder May 29, 1991

woman whose skeletal remains were found at the edge of a cornfield in Deptford Township in February 1990 was murdered..
woman died of strangulation and that a pair of sweat pants was found tied around her neck. Inside the sweatpants were a pair of pantyhose, a knee-length stocking and a mid-length sock..
He made the disclosures during a news conference called to unveil a bust of the dead woman fashioned by Donna Fontana...
Until yesterday, authorities had not disclosed the cause of death of the young woman, who they think was between 16 and 20..
cause of death with held "hoping that we would have been able to identify her 1st..

Deptford Police Seek Identity Of Skeleton February 07, 1990
nothing new in this one.... Investigators also ordered a dental report and planned to contact area dentists to see whether any could identify the teeth..

Let me start by way of introduction that I grew up within 6 miles of the area she was found and still live in the vicinity. I am about her age so I do run the risk of over-identifying with her, but may be able to bring some insight into things that puzzle others.

The area is still within easy walking distance of the mall. Although close to highways and "isolated" once you are in the woods, the roads around the area are not infrequently traveled. Clements Bridge Road is very busy and was then. Caulfield Ave has houses that were there then. Unless it was possible to drive up Locust Grove, I don't think it was a likely "dump site". Seems to me like it is more like that she walked back under her own power rather than someone carrying a body and risk being seen. It seems like a party spot. That would make her relatively local. She may be very local or have taken a bus to the mall.

The earliest I was coming down to this area was 99; hub was skydiving. Not sure how long that has been there. We came from Cherry Hill area. There was a lot of traffic on 42 back then. It connects to the AC expressway; which I'm not sure if it was around then.

Delsea Dr is another main drag that people take to get near the mall.

Apparently they checked locally. My thought was she was with some people; whether she was friends or picked up hitching. Possible she was not local but was either picked up by locals or she was dumped.

I follow another in TN; girl was picked up from a truck stop by 2 guys; was brought back to a warehouse to party. Apparently she ran away twice; 2nd time ended up on someone's porch. Person thought she was breaking in & shot her. No ID. TN Jane Doe

thank you Rosa for taking the time so summarize the articles you found. we get so used to everything being at our fingertips online, it is easy to forget there is a trove of information that is not been put on the internet.

This aerial photo was made in March of 1990 by the US Geological Survey. Found on earthexplorer.usgs.gov.
• Entity ID: AR1VFNDC0010118
• Coordinates: 39.829464 , -75.119184
• Acquisition Date: 08-MAR-90
• Scale: 24000
The free map is just a photograph taken of a negative so the color is funky. The full version is $30. For some reason, my text function was grayed out so I had to hand number the image. Below is the legend:
1 Pathmark (formerly) shopping center parking lot
2 Locust Grove Blvd (dirt?)
3 Caulfield Ave
4 Rte 295 (no exit to area)
5 Rte 55 (exit to area is past mall)
6 Clements Bridge Rd.
Star-shaped building below #6 is a still-existing nursing home
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/march1990markedupdeptfo.png/

Let me know if you have a problem seeing this.

I'm concerned that since no one has commented on the aerial photo that I posted a link to several weeks ago. Since the photo shows the area where the remains were found about one month after their discovery, it can answer any questions about the area's development. The photo is the immediate area where she was found and I have labeled it to help with orientation. I was not able to post this directely to the site, hence Image Shack. The dark blue areas in the Caulfield Ave, Clements Bridge, Almonesson Road "circle" are cornfields and the lighter blue areas are wooded. The photo shows a road (Locust Grove) that, whether paved or dirt, would allow access to where the she was found. I have cut down this photo from a larger photo (also blue) that shows much, much more of Deptford because of large file size but if anyone thinks it would be helpful, I will try to post that to Image Shack. The blueish photos are all that is available for free. A real color photo would have cost me $30 and I didn't think that was necessary for the information needed.

I am sending an email with links to the case to the coordinators for local high schools class reunions. So far I've sent an email to the coordinators for the Classes of1986, 1987, and 1988 Deptford HS. I've heard back from one of the coordinators (1986) and she was good enough to check the list of people she couldn't find, her yearbook and her husband's (Deptford '87). No hits but maybe another year, another high school. (shrugs)

Thanks, Rosa:

Here is the image in open view. I uploaded it to the Websleuths server, so that if your image goes offline, it will remain here.

This aerial photo was made in March of 1990 by the US Geological Survey. Found on earthexplorer.usgs.gov.
• Entity ID: AR1VFNDC0010118
• Coordinates: 39.829464 , -75.119184
• Acquisition Date: 08-MAR-90
• Scale: 24000
The free map is just a photograph taken of a negative so the color is funky. The full version is $30. For some reason, my text function was grayed out so I had to hand number the image. Below is the legend:
1 Pathmark (formerly) shopping center parking lot
2 Locust Grove Blvd (dirt?)
3 Caulfield Ave
4 Rte 295 (no exit to area)
5 Rte 55 (exit to area is past mall)
6 Clements Bridge Rd.
Star-shaped building below #6 is a still-existing nursing home
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/march1990markedupdeptfo.png/

Let me know if you have a problem seeing this.

attachment.php

Regarding the yearbooks, I wish more people would loan their yearbooks to Classmates. They have a huge library of yearbooks, but it still is not as complete as I wish it was.

Attachments

• Deptford Township.jpg
    Deptford Township.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 171
Thank you ROSA for all your contributions. Very very helpful and much appreciated!

It's weird they mentioned that the leaves under the body were decomposed, but the leaves covering her were not. I feel like that's a strange detail to add to a newspaper article. I wonder if this does mean that she was killed in fall 1988 if she was killed when leaves were on the ground? Does the human decomposition process affect the decomposition of leaves--what I mean is, is it possible a person decomposing could speed up/slow down the process of leaves underneath?

As a side note, I am becoming increasingly hopeful this case will be solved soon. There have been two or three cold cases in this area that have been solved within the past week or two--and by cold cases I mean 20+ years! (Heidi Balch identified as head found on golf course in Hopewell NJ, and today a man turned himself in for murdering a teenager in Galloway NJ in 1990.) I hope there is a pattern!

Thank you CarlK90245 with your help posting that image. You're right it drives me crazy to click on a link and find needed (or just wanted) info gone. And thanks kg0421. I was afraid that my first post about the photo was confusing and people thought they had to pay for the photo or something.

Good question about the leaves and decomposition of humans on top of them. The condition of the remains also suggests that she was probably there around 1988. But I also think it was possible that she was there even longer. Maybe leaves that fell on top of the remains would blow or wash away and so only the fresher fallen leaves would be there.

I think I've looked at every female between the ages of 12 and 25 for all of the 80s on the Doe Network site. I've saved some "possibles" but, other than Amber Carrie Potts and Alicia Bernice Markovich, no one that seems to strongly resemble the computer composite. Since others have mentioned those girls on the thread before, were they submitted as possibles?

I hope your right and the tide is turning in favor of solving this case! Didn't read about the Galloway Township case. Off to check the news.

I would guess the forensic anthropologists came to the conclusion she had died a year prior to her discovery based on the state of the body itself. However it is interesting that there were leaves directly under the body. I never really thought about it but it could suggest she was killed in autumn, maybe even winter? I wonder if there was a warm winter in south Jersey in 1988-89?

I also agree that area could have been a small party area. There are neighborhoods nearby but even now in 2013 there are spots around there that are secluded enough to gather in small groups without being bothered. When I was a teenager I used to hang out in the woods there pretty frequently.

I keep going back to Alicia Bernice Markovich. Even though I think it's generally assumed that her father killed her in a fit of rage, and Blairsville PA is nearly five hours from Deptford, I can't get over the similarities between her pictures and the reconstruction. Even the crooked nose is the same. I have never submitted her name to authorities as a possible match because to be completely honest I'm not quite sure how/who to contact.

Random question: is there a "master database" so to speak containing DNA from all different places? The reason I ask is there are so many different websites and DNA services that will analyze a person's DNA and show them blood relatives that also subscribe to the service. So, I'm curious as to what would happen if an unidentified person's DNA was uploaded to one of these sites. What if a close relative, such as sister or father, was discovered? Wouldn't that be an EXCELLENT way of identifying a body? Even if no close relative was found but distant relatives (3rd cousins, etc.) were, it would at least give investigators another lead to check out.

I would guess the forensic anthropologists came to the conclusion she had died a year prior to her discovery based on the state of the body itself. However it is interesting that there were leaves directly under the body. I never really thought about it but it could suggest she was killed in autumn, maybe even winter? I wonder if there was a warm winter in south Jersey in 1988-89?

I also agree that area could have been a small party area. There are neighborhoods nearby but even now in 2013 there are spots around there that are secluded enough to gather in small groups without being bothered. When I was a teenager I used to hang out in the woods there pretty frequently.

I keep going back to Alicia Bernice Markovich. Even though I think it's generally assumed that her father killed her in a fit of rage, and Blairsville PA is nearly five hours from Deptford, I can't get over the similarities between her pictures and the reconstruction. Even the crooked nose is the same. I have never submitted her name to authorities as a possible match because to be completely honest I'm not quite sure how/who to contact.

Random question: is there a "master database" so to speak containing DNA from all different places? The reason I ask is there are so many different websites and DNA services that will analyze a person's DNA and show them blood relatives that also subscribe to the service. So, I'm curious as to what would happen if an unidentified person's DNA was uploaded to one of these sites. What if a close relative, such as sister or father, was discovered? Wouldn't that be an EXCELLENT way of identifying a body? Even if no close relative was found but distant relatives (3rd cousins, etc.) were, it would at least give investigators another lead to check out.

The master database you are looking for is NAMUS.

http://www.namus.gov/

When a missing persons DNA is entered into the database, it is matched against the DNA of unidentified decedents already in the database. Its is also true in reverse, when DNA of a unidentified decedent is entered into the database it is matched against missing persons already in the database. A match is called a 'cold hit'. However not getting a 'cold hit' still does not rule out a possible match. There could be other reasons why there was no match which I will not get into.

Alicia Bernice Markovich's DNA is in the database. When it was entered, it was matched to all unidentified decedents. It did not match with this unidentified girl, but it does not necessarily rule her out.

If you believe this is a match you can submit this to the Doe Network. She is not listed as a rule out.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

Then click on submit a match in the left column. You should get a response from Rocky Wells within 24 hours on whether it was submitted or not. They should handle it from there and forward the possible match to law enforcement.

Contacts are listed in NAMUS and you can submit matches to them or even call them. However they are not known to be responsive.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2491/0/

Thanks joeytes, I have submitted both Alicia Bernice Markovich and Amber Carrie Potts as possible matches. I hadn't looked at Amber lately because I was so set on Alicia but revisiting her case, the height/weight and date missing combo fits the UID much better than Alicia. She went missing in Nov. 1988, which is around the time the UID was said to have been killed (fall 1988). She was considered a runaway and if I remember correctly it was discovered she had been living in a motel for a week or two AFTER she was reported missing. It's possible she tried to hitch a ride to NYC. If she was coming from Canada she would have needed a passport, which surely she didn't want to use if she was being searched for, and God only knows what kind of people you come across when you're a pretty sixteen-year-old girl trying to sneak over the border.

As for my DNA question, I wasn't thinking so much a missing/unidentified person database--more along the lines of the new ancestry.com DNA test, 23andme.com, familytreedna.com, that sort of thing. All of those websites allow you to submit a DNA sample, then they analyze it, upload it into their own personal DNA database, and come back with relatives of yours that have also submitted their DNA to their database. It is more of a genealogical/family tree tool, but I was thinking it would also be extremely helpful in identifying remains. Imagine creating an account for an unidentified person and uploading their raw DNA information, and finding the person's aunt or something--or even niece or nephew. Or say you don't find a direct relative, but you do find many many more distant relatives with the same last name: I just think it would be beneficial in cold cases like this where every other lead has been exhausted.

I am so glad to hear that you have submitted both girls. Either there is a match or we can move on and look elsewhere. It is only relatively recently that you needed a passport to get to Canada (or the reverse I would think). If I remember correctly a photo ID such as a drivers license would do it and if a minor was travelling with an adult with ID, I don't know that they would have questioned that. Especially a girl who was inclined to support any untruths that would be told to get her out of the country. It was a different time. If she is Canadian, Canadian LE might never have been sent a missing person packet that Gloucester County LE says was sent out to the whole East Coast after the remains were found.

I think the genealogy DNA testing is a good idea. It would at least give you ethnic background. A friend of mine had it done and found a 3rd cousin. While someone may potentially have hundreds of third cousins, it does narrow it down somewhat. After decades of the young woman being unidentified, it does seem a reasonable step. I suppose you have to get the state to release the material for testing.

How long do we have to wait for a thumbs up or down on the potential matches?

How long do we have to wait for a thumbs up or down on the potential matches?

It can take months, some cases years after they were submitted as possible matches.

In my experience rule outs can be posted on NAMUS after a few days especially after you contact the regional administrator directly through email. This is especially true if there is DNA in CODIS and the administrator is responsive. Its is a matter of comparing DNA with the UID and MP.

I have not had any positive matches yet and I have been submitting for the last 7 months.

Just heard back from Rocky Wells at doenetwork.com regarding my submissions... Amber Carrie Potts has been submitted and rejected before, however Alicia Bernice Markovich has never been submitted so they are gonna check her out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back