NJ NJ - Montague, Wht/Hisp/BlkFem 13-20, UP1772, rainbow jeans, poss stocky build, good teeth, Jun'80

With the full name and date of birth, a woman with the same exact name and DOB appears in public records found at Ancestry.com. They show that Shirley lived in Palm Springs, CA.

With the full name and date of birth, a woman with the same exact name and DOB appears in public records found at Ancestry.com. They show that Shirley lived in Palm Springs, CA.

Shirley's sister said that LE found the same listing and followed up on it. They couldn't find anyone at that address who ever heard of Shirley Maya.

Edit to add:
But I found an alternate surname for her, and possibly a facebook page. The fb page doesn't have any publicly viewable photos though. I will pass that info on to her sister,

I too found an alternative surname at some of the people finder websites with a possible spouse, E.H. I wonder if Shirley's sister ever heard of him.

Her remains were sawed apart and buried and they think it is "possible" she was murdered?

I did a double take when I read the *She is a possible homicide victim*. I'm glad I'm not the only one to find that odd.

I am really disturbed by the Shirley Ann Maya person in Palm Springs.

By the 1960's, Shirley had already become an uncommon first name for a girl and Maya is not even that common a Spanish surname.

One people finder site that can search by dates of birth reveals only 64 Shirleys born on July 1, 1964 and that includes a number of duplicates. That there is an entry for Shirley A. Maya in Palm Springs means to me that a). our Shirley lives or lived in Palm Springs OR b). someone has expropriated her identity. I have no way of knowing if LE went to the correct address or whether Shirley was still living there when they investigated so the denial by the residents could be accurate. On the other hand, if she was using a married name, the person answering the door could have said "there's no Shirley Maya here".

On the other hand, if someone is using her name, did she know that the real Shirley Maya wasn't around and felt comfortable using it? Either way, in my view where there's smoke there's fire so I do not think it is a coincidence that records point to her being in or around Palm Springs. Why a 14 year old girl would never call home at any time in the intervening 37 years is a mystery to me, but there have been more than a few people who for personal reasons just don't want to associate with their families.

Last week, Crime Watch Daily ran a show on the Tammy Jo Alexander / Cali Doe case and my role in it. At the end of the show, they featured five long-term UID cases involving young John and Jane Doe's, with a request to submit a tip if they had any information on any of these five persons.

One of the UID's featured was Buckskin Girl, and it elicited a tip from a woman from New Jersey who thought her sister might be BG. It was pretty clear based on the information provided that her sister was not BG, but I had never heard of her sister. Her sister is not listed in any of the public databases.

I will not mention her sister's name here, as I don't know if she has ever reported missing, so I will refer to her by her initials SAM.

SAM is from Passaic New Jersey, and was 14 years old when she was last seen by her sister. She is of Puerto Rican descent. Based on her DOB (mid-1964), and her age when LKA (14), I concluded that she was last seen sometime between mid 1978 and mid 1979.

SAM's sister gave a very disturbing story about the circumstances of SAM's disappearance. She says that SAM was dating a small-time drug dealer. One day, they were at SAM and her sister's home and were packaging up "nickel bags" of drugs to be sold. SAM's mother came home, found them packaging up the drugs, and threw the drugs out the window. The boyfriend responded by stabbing SAM several times, nearly fatally. SAM was taken to the hospital and survived the attack. However, when SAM was released from the hospital, she left with the same boyfriend, and was never seen again. SAM's sister says that they might have gone to Texas, but she is not sure.

In looking at a photo of SAM with her sister (in which SAM appears to be about 11 or 12 years old), she bears a very strong facial resemblance to High Point Park Jane Doe. When I overlaid her photo with the drawing of HPPJD, the alignment was nearly flawless. SAM also appeared to have a very slight gap between her two front teeth (as is depicted in the HPPJD recon drawing). If SAM died shortly after she was LKA by her family, then the PM interval at the time of HPPJD's discovery would have been about 1-2 years. The listed PM interval for HPPJD was about 5 years.

The only apparent discrepancy is height. SAM's sister says she was fairly tall, although she did not provide an exact height.

HPPJD is listed as 5 feet even to 5 feet 1 based on the measurement of the long bones found. HPPJD's torso was never found, so the height is only an estimate. SAM's sister is four years younger than SAM, so she was only about 10 years old when she last saw SAM. I am guessing that her reccollection of SAM's height might be relative to her memory as a 10 year old.

But given the obvious depravity displayed by the boyfriend, and the fact that HPJD had been dismembered, I think she should be compared.

Next week I will see what I can do to (1) find out if there is a MP report on file for SAM, (2) get SAM listed in NamUs, and (3) ask that SAM be compared to HPPJD.

:eek:fftopic:

GREAT NEWS!!!

We were able to make contact with Shirley Maya, and she spoke with her sister Edna for the first time since they were children.

As mentioned above, we found a no-photo facebook page for Shirley Maya, but none of the listed telephone numbers for her were any good. Just a few days ago Shirley added a blurry photo of herself to her facebook page. Edna saw the photo and didn't think it was her sister, but I compared it the photos of Shirley when she was a child, and I told Edna I thought it was quite possible that they were the same person. Their hairlines were identical (both had the same point in the hairline at the temple), they had similar ears, their noses were similar, and their chins were similarly small and squarish.

So without a way to contact her by telephone, we called a tow truck company that she had friended on her facebook page. The tow truck driver knew her and forwarded Edna’s telephone number to Shirley. Shirley just called her. Needless to say Edna is delighted to be able to talk to her sister for the first time in nearly 40 years, and to know that her sister is still alive.

Thanks, webrocket. You get a share of the credit for this as well. You found the information in Ancestry before I did.

A special thanks also goes to Billy Jensen of Crime Watch Daily. Had he not run the feature story of my role in the Cali Doe/Tammy Jo Alexander case, this would not have happened.

GREAT NEWS!!!

We were able to make contact with Shirley Maya, and she spoke with her sister Edna for the first time since they were children.

As mentioned above, we found a no-photo facebook page for Shirley Maya, but none of the listed telephone numbers for her were any good. Just a few days ago Shirley added a blurry photo of herself to her facebook page. Edna saw the photo and didn't think it was her sister, but I compared it the photos of Shirley when she was a child, and I told Edna I thought it was quite possible that they were the same person. Their hairlines were identical (both had the same point in the hairline at the temple), they had similar ears, their noses were similar, and their chins were similarly small and squarish.

So without a way to contact her by telephone, we called a tow truck company that she had friended on her facebook page. The tow truck driver knew her and forwarded Edna’s telephone number to Shirley. Shirley just called her. Needless to say Edna is delighted to be able to talk to her sister for the first time in nearly 40 years, and to know that her sister is still alive.

Thanks, webrocket. You get a share of the credit for this as well. You found the information in Ancestry before I did.

A special thanks also goes to Billy Jensen of Crime Watch Daily. Had he not run the feature story of my role in the Cali Doe/Tammy Jo Alexander case, this would not have happened.

Wow, that's a shocker. I thought it was going to be her for sure. I guess we all have our twins in the world. Remarkable resemblance.

I'm happy to hear that Edna found her sister alive and (presumably) well. That is a miracle in itself. Congrats to Carl and webrocket. Great job.

What I don't understand is, how did she break away from the boyfriend? It sure sounded like he killed her. It's so bizarre that, after being nearly killed by her boyfriend over a nickel bag, she turns up alive 36 years later in Palm Springs. It's a miracle, but a strange one nonetheless. I'm glad to hear she's alive and back in contact with her sister.

So glad Shirley was reunited with her family! That is great news.
It adds to my belief that some missing people are still out there and alive, they just haven't made contact, for whatever reason. I wish I could tell some of these families who are searching to reach out to everyone on social media who have the same name, and keep checking back every so often to see if their loved one has made an account. You never know.

Congrats Carl! Always great when another is confirmed alive. We were tough people back then!

Wow, that's a shocker. I thought it was going to be her for sure. I guess we all have our twins in the world. Remarkable resemblance.

I'm happy to hear that Edna found her sister alive and (presumably) well. That is a miracle in itself. Congrats to Carl and webrocket. Great job.

What I don't understand is, how did she break away from the boyfriend? It sure sounded like he killed her. It's so bizarre that, after being nearly killed by her boyfriend over a nickel bag, she turns up alive 36 years later in Palm Springs. It's a miracle, but a strange one nonetheless. I'm glad to hear she's alive and back in contact with her sister.

Some victims of DV are able to get away.

Technically it's only evidence of abuse of a corpse...

:eek:fftopic: Sorry, I'm not very experienced at this...dumb question: is abuse of a corpse a crime? Does it depend on what type of abuse it is? I would assume necrophilia is illegal, but is dismembering a person who died of natural causes illegal? I don't know why someone would, but I'm still wondering. What if someone else murders a person, and a separate person later comes across the corpse and mutilates it? I doubt that's what happened here, and of course all of this is hypothetical. Just a curious girl!

GREAT NEWS!!!

I'm so happy to hear that she was found alive and reunited with her sister. Hopefully, they'll keep in contact with each other and have a normal sibling relationship. I wish them the best.

:eek:fftopic: Sorry, I'm not very experienced at this...dumb question: is abuse of a corpse a crime? Does it depend on what type of abuse it is? I would assume necrophilia is illegal, but is dismembering a person who died of natural causes illegal? I don't know why someone would, but I'm still wondering. What if someone else murders a person, and a separate person later comes across the corpse and mutilates it? I doubt that's what happened here, and of course all of this is hypothetical. Just a curious girl!

Yes, it is. It can be either a misdemeanor or a felony depending on how egregious the abuse is. If you google the term it is loosely defined as "treating the corpse in a way that would outrage ordinary family sensibilities".

The jeans I linked above are new "vintage inspired". I'm pretty sure the originals (70s) were made by Lee. They might have been part of the " Ms Lee" line as they have rainbow stitched vests in that line. The Ms Lee line was started in 1973. Still trying to find out what year the rainbow jeans came out.

The jeans I linked above are new "vintage inspired". I'm pretty sure the originals (70s) were made by Lee. They might have been part of the " Ms Lee" line as they have rainbow stitched vests in that line. The Ms Lee line was started in 1973. Still trying to find out what year the rainbow jeans came out.

I had similar pants with the rainbow. They were my favorite. Wonder if I have a photo wearing them. I did find the Lee vest, looks like my pants. I'm not sure if the image below is the pants I had, the image in the link above is not the ones I had.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Her remains were sawed apart and buried and they think it is "possible" she was murdered?

It would be pretty uncommon for a kid her age to just pass away. Why would someone cut them up if they weren't murdered?

f83bde7cf24de943a1519b03749efd94.jpg
il_570xN.312552105.jpg

Well, the most common reason for cutting up a body seems to be the simple pragmatics of managing it. Disposing of head and hands separately to hinder identification is another.

One big reason for disposing of the remains without reporting the death appears to be fraud, so someone else can continue to cash pension, disability, or support checks. That's more common with older people but we've seen cases where afoster child's death was covered up like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could it be that she died of an accidental drug OD, her dealer boyfriend dismembered her body and dumped it? I doubt it though.

Usually OD bodies just get dumped, or left where they are, but I do seem to recall seeing cases where something like that did happen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kch52285
Back