NJ NJ - Robin Trivisonno, 28, Neptune Township, 20 Jan 1997

When I find an older case that interests me, I try to find as much info as I can-looking for coincidences or patterns that may not have been evident at the time. When I find one, a bug crawls into my brain and won't leave until I put the info out there for others to examine and comment upon. Links are at the end of the post and noted as such in the post. Here goes....

Robin was last believed to have last been seen at around 2am on Monday, January 20th, of 1997, leaving the Heartbreakers bar in Neptune NJ (but may have left as early as 12:30 [1]). Witnesses from the bar stated that Robin had asked for a ride to a bar in South Amboy, Delilah's Den, about 30 minutes north of Neptune. No one in attendance at Delilah's Den recalled Robin arriving there; however, her jacket and other personal effects were found in the woods behind the South Amboy bar (I have been unable to confirm if the jacket found matched the description of the one Robin was said to have been wearing when she was last seen).

At about 6:30 later that morning, a young woman was struck and killed along Rt 280 outside of Kearny, NJ, approximately 30 minutes north of South Amboy and about an hour north of Neptune [2]. The time of the accident can be found on the report the NJ trooper is holding in the article's first photo. It's stated that she was walking along Rt 280 when hit, but I'm not sure if that comes from other witness reports or is an assumption on the part of the police. The driver who hit her stated that he felt a "thump" and then called police from a local gas station.

At first glance, I admit there is little, other than timing, to connect the two. However, that in itself was the first thing that struck me. A young woman goes missing, and another young woman is hit by a vehicle within 4 hours and an hours' drive of where the missing girl was last seen? Add to that the distinct possibility that the missing girl was headed in the direction of where the accident occurred, and may have been less than a half-hour's drive away? Amboy to Kearny is nearly a "straight shot" along I-95, and then only a mile or so along Rt 280 (which is a heavily-travelled stretch of highway, by both commuters and truckers).

Now, where things get interesting-descriptions. Robin is listed at 105 pounds, which personally I have to take with the proverbial grain of salt. When she was dancing, maybe... But raising three sons and working toward a nursing degree? I have to believe there were many stress-filled nights spent cuddling a pint of Ben and Jerry's with a large spoon. The weight of our unidentified young woman (to whom I will refer as Rt 280 Doe) varies depending on the report. Doe Network [3] and NamUs [5] list her weight as 140-150, while the original posting by the NJ State Police (listed in Passaic County, for some odd reason, as the accident occurred in Hudson County) as 120-125 [4]. The reason for the discrepancy is easy enough to understand-280 Doe was so severely injured in the accident that neither her height nor weight could be determined accurately. In fact, law enforcement couldn't even create a reconstruction of her face.

Robin is listed as 5'02", and 280 Doe (in the single report that lists height) is estimated to have been 5'00 to 5'05".

Robin was 28 when she disappeared; 280 Doe is listed on all sites as being between 25 and 35.

Clothing? No one has, to my knowledge, accurately described what Robin was wearing when she disappeared (other than the possible coat, which may be the one found in South Amboy). As so much could have occurred during those early morning hours, I'm not relying too heavily on clothing as an identifier in any case. The temperature in the area dropped to below 20 during that night.

Eye color and hair color are similar, and straight hair of 5 inches or so in length could have been drawn back into a servicable pony-tail. Again, I refer to the condition of 280 Doe and make some allowances for any discrepancies there.

The largest discrepancy, and that one that generated the most research, is race. Robin is listed as either Caucasian or bi-racial, with some black ancestry. 280 Doe is listed as "race-black", "ethnicity-Hispanic/Latino". I have no idea why there would be two different listings here-was the assumption that she was either a light-skinned African-American or Latino? Having no facial features to which to refer certainly made identification extremely difficult. Could Robin have passed as either? The fact that she has at least some African ancestry is stated many times. I have tried to determine the exact extent of her ancestry, but haven't had an abundance of luck so far. I did discover that Robin has two half-sisters, twins, who are African-American (one of them, Teresa Brooks, changed her name to Teresa Africa upon joining the "radical lifestyle" group MOVE in the early 80s. In 1985, she was killed along with ten others when the Philadelphia police used military-grade explosives on MOVE's residential headquarters).

I found an article on another issue from Robin's disappearance. Doe Network, as well as most articles about Robin's disappearance, mention the man with whom Robin was last seen. According to this article [1], police interviewed the man who was positively identified by employees of Heartbreakers. Also in the article, Robin's mother states that Robin was having an affair with a married man. She had spent Sunday evening with him in his office before going to Heartbreakers. The mother states that this man told her Robin was upset that he was not planning on leaving his wife for her.

Very confusing and convoluted, to say the least.

[1] http://articles.philly.com/1997-01-...fles-family-police-station-tuesday-night-sons
[2] http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/nj_state_trooper_hoping_dna_da.html
[3] http://doenetwork.org/cases/1014ufnj.html
[4] http://www.njsp.org/miss/ui_passaic_u016562720.html
[5] https://identifyus.org/cases/1776

When I find an older case that interests me, I try to find as much info as I can-looking for coincidences or patterns that may not have been evident at the time. When I find one, a bug crawls into my brain and won't leave until I put the info out there for others to examine and comment upon. Links are at the end of the post and noted as such in the post. Here goes....

Robin was last believed to have last been seen at around 2am on Monday, January 20th, of 1997, leaving the Heartbreakers bar in Neptune NJ (but may have left as early as 12:30 [1]). Witnesses from the bar stated that Robin had asked for a ride to a bar in South Amboy, Delilah's Den, about 30 minutes north of Neptune. No one in attendance at Delilah's Den recalled Robin arriving there; however, her jacket and other personal effects were found in the woods behind the South Amboy bar (I have been unable to confirm if the jacket found matched the description of the one Robin was said to have been wearing when she was last seen).

At about 6:30 later that morning, a young woman was struck and killed along Rt 280 outside of Kearny, NJ, approximately 30 minutes north of South Amboy and about an hour north of Neptune [2]. The time of the accident can be found on the report the NJ trooper is holding in the article's first photo. It's stated that she was walking along Rt 280 when hit, but I'm not sure if that comes from other witness reports or is an assumption on the part of the police. The driver who hit her stated that he felt a "thump" and then called police from a local gas station.

At first glance, I admit there is little, other than timing, to connect the two. However, that in itself was the first thing that struck me. A young woman goes missing, and another young woman is hit by a vehicle within 4 hours and an hours' drive of where the missing girl was last seen? Add to that the distinct possibility that the missing girl was headed in the direction of where the accident occurred, and may have been less than a half-hour's drive away? Amboy to Kearny is nearly a "straight shot" along I-95, and then only a mile or so along Rt 280 (which is a heavily-travelled stretch of highway, by both commuters and truckers).

Now, where things get interesting-descriptions. Robin is listed at 105 pounds, which personally I have to take with the proverbial grain of salt. When she was dancing, maybe... But raising three sons and working toward a nursing degree? I have to believe there were many stress-filled nights spent cuddling a pint of Ben and Jerry's with a large spoon. The weight of our unidentified young woman (to whom I will refer as Rt 280 Doe) varies depending on the report. Doe Network [3] and NamUs [5] list her weight as 140-150, while the original posting by the NJ State Police (listed in Passaic County, for some odd reason, as the accident occurred in Hudson County) as 120-125 [4]. The reason for the discrepancy is easy enough to understand-280 Doe was so severely injured in the accident that neither her height nor weight could be determined accurately. In fact, law enforcement couldn't even create a reconstruction of her face.

Robin is listed as 5'02", and 280 Doe (in the single report that lists height) is estimated to have been 5'00 to 5'05".

Robin was 28 when she disappeared; 280 Doe is listed on all sites as being between 25 and 35.

Clothing? No one has, to my knowledge, accurately described what Robin was wearing when she disappeared (other than the possible coat, which may be the one found in South Amboy). As so much could have occurred during those early morning hours, I'm not relying too heavily on clothing as an identifier in any case. The temperature in the area dropped to below 20 during that night.

Eye color and hair color are similar, and straight hair of 5 inches or so in length could have been drawn back into a servicable pony-tail. Again, I refer to the condition of 280 Doe and make some allowances for any discrepancies there.

The largest discrepancy, and that one that generated the most research, is race. Robin is listed as either Caucasian or bi-racial, with some black ancestry. 280 Doe is listed as "race-black", "ethnicity-Hispanic/Latino". I have no idea why there would be two different listings here-was the assumption that she was either a light-skinned African-American or Latino? Having no facial features to which to refer certainly made identification extremely difficult. Could Robin have passed as either? The fact that she has at least some African ancestry is stated many times. I have tried to determine the exact extent of her ancestry, but haven't had an abundance of luck so far. I did discover that Robin has two half-sisters, twins, who are African-American (one of them, Teresa Brooks, changed her name to Teresa Africa upon joining the "radical lifestyle" group MOVE in the early 80s. In 1985, she was killed along with ten others when the Philadelphia police used military-grade explosives on MOVE's residential headquarters).

I found an article on another issue from Robin's disappearance. Doe Network, as well as most articles about Robin's disappearance, mention the man with whom Robin was last seen. According to this article [1], police interviewed the man who was positively identified by employees of Heartbreakers. Also in the article, Robin's mother states that Robin was having an affair with a married man. She had spent Sunday evening with him in his office before going to Heartbreakers. The mother states that this man told her Robin was upset that he was not planning on leaving his wife for her.

[1] http://articles.philly.com/1997-01-...fles-family-police-station-tuesday-night-sons
[2] http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/08/nj_state_trooper_hoping_dna_da.html

Shadowangel,

Please contact me ASAP. It's ALL GOOD. You can send a PM or email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

If anyone is in touch with Shadowangel please ask her/him to contact me.

Thank you,
Tricia

There is so much mystery surrounding this case. If that first article is correct, and 3 Heartbreakers employees "identified" the man she left with, then The Monmouth Co. Prosecutor's office has got it all wrong as well as the Neptune Police and NamUs and TCP. They all say that the man was never to be seen again and wasn't identified. Perhaps the article got it wrong and the 3 employees gave a description of the man which produced the now hard to find police sketch.

When I look at photos of Robin I don't automatically think "African American or Latino". The UI found in Kearny was also wearing clothing that was nothing like the brown waist length jacket (that was found behind Delilah"s along with her purse and wallet) she was reportedly wearing. Robin was also wearing press on nails, which JD 280 wasn't wearing. (although her fingernails WERE painted.)

I just don't see Robin, having arrived in South Amboy,(a straight ride down Rt. 35 from where she was) ditch all of her belongings, put on a jacket that says Puerto Rico on the back, and head down the NJ Turnpike to exit 15W onto Rt. 280. My husband used to be a postal contractor, and I sometimes went to work with him. The DVD postal facility is off of 280, and there's not an easy way for anyone to safely walk on that Hwy, never mind the Turnpike. 280 is heavily traveled both day and night. It is a commercial area loaded with Corporate Hdqtrs and warehouses. The ground on either side of the Hwy is swamp for the most part.

I think it's great that you took the time to find a possible comparison, but I just don't think it's her.

This is all just moo. I'm having a hard time letting go of this case because I identified a bit with Robin. Something is very wrong here. There was a composite drawing of the man she was last seen with, the man who offered to drive her to South Amboy. I recognized the man as a customer of the store I was managing at the time. He was very handsome, looked like a male model. Unmistakable looking. (well groomed is how the press releases put it) There is no longer a sample of the composite drawing available. One press release says the guy was identified, but doesn't identify him.

One question I've never seen answered is WHY she wanted to go to Delilah's that night. We know she was having an affair with an unidentified married man. Whom she'd met while dancing.

Everyone in NJ knows that most of the titty bars in NJ have some mafia affiliation. I have a feeling that Robin's remains won't be found for a long time...if ever.

Well, Heartbreakers is now Centerfolds. Which shares a parking lot with the bowling alley. There was a Jane Doe found behind that bowling alley in the late 70's. That lot has a lot of overgrown woods and there is a stream that runs behind the bowling alley and across the street. They think the JD behind the bowling area was there for month before she was found. I think she never left Neptune and is still right there in the woods. I posted pics of the area in the Neptune Jane Doe thread.

Well, Heartbreakers is now Centerfolds. Which shares a parking lot with the bowling alley. There was a Jane Doe found behind that bowling alley in the late 70's. That lot has a lot of overgrown woods and there is a stream that runs behind the bowling alley and across the street. They think the JD behind the bowling area was there for month before she was found. I think she never left Neptune and is still right there in the woods. I posted pics of the area in the Neptune Jane Doe thread.

The thing is, Robin supposedly left Heartbreakers.*and that bar has undergone many name changes in the last 30 years.Her items were found in South Amboy. But you may be right. Something is still very wrong with the whole investigation as far as I'm concerned.

This case bites. The NJSP don't seem to care less, and evidence that could lead to a killer gets buried. And ignored. This one is definitely not a Biegenwald case. This is (and just moo) a mob case. THAT'S why it hasn't been solved yet.

Yeah, her stuff being found on South Amboy is bizarre. Maybe whomever killed her put it there to make it seem like she made it there.

I don't think anyone here really looked for her. You really wouldn't have needed to go far to get rid of her body. No one is going near the back section of that parking lot, especially at night.

I'm agreeing with you KaylaraOwl. Even her family gave up on the search for her after 7 or 8 years and had a funeral for her.

Does anyone remember The Sopranos season 3? There is an episode where one of the dancers has an affair with one of the mob guys. She does herself in by threatening the married mob guy. She is killed and her body is dumped outside the Bada Bing. Nothing after that. No body found...nothing.

ShowImage

https://www20.state.nj.us/NJSP_Amber/DispatchAction.do?parameter=mp_detail&mp_id=1453&type=mp

I knew Robin. Unbelievable and sad. One thing that I do not understand. It says that she went missing 1/20/97 and stopped working at Heartbreakers 3 years prior. I do not believe this is true!! I strongly believe she still worked there. It was a Holiday weekend and maybe she was working that night because I know that she was concerned about people knowing where she worked, Vetnor is a looong way from Neptune. I just wonder why they would say she stopped working there 3 years prior. Is someone lying? And why? I met here there in I believe 96.

I knew Robin. Unbelievable and sad. One thing that I do not understand. It says that she went missing 1/20/97 and stopped working at Heartbreakers 3 years prior. I do not believe this is true!! I strongly believe she still worked there. It was a Holiday weekend and maybe she was working that night because I know that she was concerned about people knowing where she worked, Vetnor is a looong way from Neptune. I just wonder why they would say she stopped working there 3 years prior. Is someone lying? And why? I met here there in I believe 96.

Powderhound,

Sorry that this is random that I'm reaching out to you. Every now and then I search Robin's name in hopes that there will ever be new news. Her disappearance haunts me because she was a friend of my mothers.

I remember going to her house when I was younger and spending time with her and her boys. I believe that her oldest son and I were the same age and that her twins were a couple of years younger than me - I remember hanging out with them and watching movies together at their house.

I also remember the day that my mom received a call notifying her of Robin's disappearance - I was about 10 years old at the time.

I truthfully don't know how long my mom was friends with Robin or how they even met - we lived in Williamstown, NJ for as long as I can remember. I have only really brought Robin up again once or twice to my mom over the years, but have always felt awkward in doing so because I can't imagine that it's something she wants to talk about.

As I was so young when I knew Robin, I never knew about her backstory and am only finding out more about her now from things I've read online. From what I've read it sounds like she most likely still worked at Heartbreakers up until her disappearance, even if it wasn't as frequently as she once did.

It also seems quite ironic that right before her disappearance that (allegedly) she met up with and had an argument with the married man she was dating who didn't plan on leaving his wife for her. The whole situation with her leaving Heartbreakers with a strange man that no one had seen before and never saw again is also quite odd.

A large part of me believes that if her disappearance had happened in present time with the technology, social media, etc. that we have today there may have been more potential for answers to her disappearance, or at very least, some leads to who she may have last been seen with.

So many questions. Sorry for the random reply, I just feel like this has always left me so puzzled. We always hear stories about people that turn up missing, but it's just an odd and unexplainable feeling when it's someone that you knew personally (even though I was quite young at the time).

NEPTUNE - An open nursing textbook. A Jeep parked in a handicapped spot at a go-go bar. A wallet and a jacket. A married lover, and another man nobody could identify.

Robin Trivisonno, 28 at the time, disappeared in the early morning hours of Jan. 20, 1997. The mother of three young boys, she left behind a trail of breadcrumbs that stretched nearly 100 miles along the Jersey Shore, from Ventnor City to Neptune to South Amboy.
In the nearly 23 years since that fateful night her disappearance has continued to stymie investigators. The case is still open, one of many that remain under investigation by the Cold Case Unit at the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office.

[...]

Though the outlook is bleak, investigators still have not given up.

“We’re still reviewing the file to take a second look at it,” Monmouth County Assistant Prosecutor Meghan Doyle told the Press. “At this point there’s nothing new, just new eyes looking at the same thing, maybe for a different perspective.”

Get Access

Dec 9, 2019 lots of photos of Robin here

Robin D. Trivisonno
Robin D. Trivisonno
Robin D. Trivisonno
Robin D. Trivisonno
Robin D. Trivisonno

The picture on the far left and in the center were taken circa 1997. The picture on the far right is a sketch of how she appeared on the night of her disappearance.

Name: Robin D. Trivisonno
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 20, 1997
Location Last Seen: Neptune Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: June 27, 1968
Race: White
Height: 5'2"
Weight: 105 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown/Auburn
Eye Color: Hazel
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: She had a grandmother who had some African ancestry. She has a scar on her right eyelid and breast implants (unknown serial number).

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not Available. She has at least two capped teeth.
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Reported to have been wearing a brown waist coat.
Jewelry: 18k gold and silver earrings and a Cartier watch.
Additional Personal Items: A leather hair barrette with a wooden pin and press-on nails.

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Trivisonno was last seen leaving the former Heartbreakers Go-Go Bar on Route 35 in Neptune Township, NJ on January 20, 1997. She was last seen leaving the bar at about 2:00 a.m. with a white male who was described as well-groomed with long dark brown flowing hair, 5'8" tall and weighed approximately 180 pounds. She was in an intoxicated state. Her vehicle, a 1994 black Jeep Cherokee, was left parked in the parking lot.

Trivisonno was the mother of three young children and was separated from her husband. She had worked at Heartbreakers as a dancer for at least two years, but quit that job to attend nursing school about a year before she went missing. She visited the bar the night she disappeared, spending several hours there and talked with former coworkers. Witnesses reported that Trivisonno had asked people at Heartbreakers for a ride to Delilah's Den in South Amboy, where a friend of hers worked as a DJ. No one at Delilah's Den told police they saw her there the night she disappeared.

Four months after she went missing, her wallet and jacket were found in a wooded area behind a fence in the back of the Delilah's Den parking lot.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office
Agency Contact Person: Captain Thomas Powers
Agency Phone Number: (732)-431-7160
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

Agency Name: Neptune Township Police Department
Agency Contact Person: Lieutenant Joseph Burst
Agency Phone Number: (732)-988-8000
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: N/A

NamUs Case Number: 8409