NJ NJ - Steven Anderson, 17, & David Williams, 12, New Lisbon, 7 April 1975

Only two weeks prior to the boys going missing, and one state away, in Wheaton, Maryland 25 March 1975, two sisters, Sheila and Katherine Lyon went missing. They were apparently abducted in broad daylight from near a busy shopping center. (See their separate topic threads)

The same day that the boys went missing, two eyewitnesses saw what they thought was a girl tied up in the back of a station wagon in Manassas, Virginia. Could there have been a connection between these cases?

Boys Who Disappeared From New Jersey Facility Added to FBI Missing Person Website

Authorities say 12-year-old David Williams of Newark and 17-year-old Steven Anderson of Westville were roommates at what today is the New Lisbon Developmental Center. They had developmental disabilities and were unable to care for themselves without supervision.

They were last seen on April 7, 1975. They were last seen walking towards their residence from a nearby ball field where they had been playing with staff members.

An extensive search of the New Jersey Pinelands turned up nothing.

Williams would be 55 years old and Anderson would be 60 these days.

According to the FBI, Anderson had a chipped front tooth, was known to have trouble communicating, and was last seen wearing a blue hooded jacket and blue pants. He was 5-feet-8 and 140 pounds when he disappeared.

Williams was an epileptic who needed to take daily medication, and generally wore a helmet to protect his head, the FBI said. Without the medication, he could have suffered a grand mal seizure. He was last seen wearing a blue jacket and striped pants.

missing boys.jpg

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...ys-FBI-Missing-Persons-Website-453042243.html

The disappearance here does not make sense, leading me to think it was a cover up for something else.

was there anyone who actually saw them walking away?
Was it just the staff members word that they had gone with them and then somehow disappeared? If so, how did they explain that happening? How many staff were involved and did any other resident go along for this outing?

Many people with epilepsy do not have to wear a helmet, since it can be controlled with medication. Williams must have been a severe case where his was not controlled and so even with medication he would be likely to fall, that’s why it was necessary for him to wear the helmet.

Even if they were labeled as lower functioning, that does not mean they were incapable of understanding and communicating things.
Were they verbal? Were they possibly able to be a threat of reporting something?

Did they have a close relationship where they were able to plan and orchestrate running away together? Even if they did, what would happen with Williams going without his medication? If they were so bad, they would most likely become unmanageable.

Its always possible that they were abducted by a predator, but since they were supposed to be supervised by staff, I feel it’s more likely the danger came from the staff and not a stranger.

FBI agents combed a wildlife refuge area along the Jersey Shore in Stafford Township on Tuesday as part of a decades-old missing persons case involving two boys who were roommates. "The FBI and our law enforcement partners are conducting investigative activity in the Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge as part of an ongoing investigation."

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2017/11/fbi_searching_ocean_county_wildlife_area_in_connec.html

williamsanderson_missing_persons_for_webwilliamsanderson_missing_persons1648.JPG

I wonder what the development is! Exciting! Maybe they found Williams helmet in that forest?

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

So pleased to see this case mentioned here on WS. My mother briefly (about two months) worked at New Lisbon in the early 1980's. I asked her years later why she left so quickly and she told me the staff at the school were horrible, the school itself was horrible and the residents were horrible treated. She couldn't stand to see the abuses taking place and the state refusing to do anything about it so she went to another facility.

Besides these two boys who disappeared, there was another disappearance from the school. It was very common for sexual abuse between staff and residents to take place and even the residents were regularly caught having sex. The school itself was in a horrible state, it was in desperate need of repairs. All in all it was just a horrible place. Fortunately the state eventually addressed a lot of the problems with the center but that wasn't until the 90's. The school is still there and in operation.

The disappearance here does not make sense, leading me to think it was a cover up for something else.

was there anyone who actually saw them walking away?
Was it just the staff members word that they had gone with them and then somehow disappeared? If so, how did they explain that happening? How many staff were involved and did any other resident go along for this outing? .

Staff saw them walking away from the baseball field back to their group home. Back then you had to walk along a trail that went through the woods to reach the homes.

.[/QUOTE]Many people with epilepsy do not have to wear a helmet, since it can be controlled with medication. Williams must have been a severe case where his was not controlled and so even with medication he would be likely to fall, that’s why it was necessary for him to wear the helmet. .[/QUOTE]

This was 1975, medication for epilepsy was still being developed, it wasn't as good as it is now. Williams was wearing a helmet not only because of the epilepsy but he was prone to have tantrums and bang his head.

.[/QUOTE]Even if they were labeled as lower functioning, that does not mean they were incapable of understanding and communicating things.
Were they verbal? Were they possibly able to be a threat of reporting something? .[/QUOTE]

Yes, they were verbal but it's HIGHLY unlikely that even if they saw something untoward anyone would believe anything they had to say. New Lisbon was essentially abandoned by the state at the time, there were rampant abuses going on there. The state knew there were severe problems but they refused to do anything about it. Again, remember, this was 1975. LE didn't really pay attention to the word of "retarded" people or children, both were equally dismissed as being unreliable and too immature to be trustworthy. No one would have paid attention to anything the boys said.

.[/QUOTE]Did they have a close relationship where they were able to plan and orchestrate running away together?.[/QUOTE]

No, they lacked the intellectual sophistication to plan and orchestrate running away. Not to mention IF they did run away they would have been caught very quickly. New Lisbon was essentially in the middle of the woods. It still is today, it's a very small village that is relatively isolated. Theoretically they could have wandered off into the woods and gotten hopelessly lost and because of the vast area of woods they could have kept walking in their confusion, going further and further into the woods. But as soon as the boys were reported missing (which was that first day) there was a massive search conducted in the woods. If they were still in the woods, alive, they would have been found.

.[/QUOTE] Even if they did, what would happen with Williams going without his medication? If they were so bad, they would most likely become unmanageable.

.[/QUOTE]Its always possible that they were abducted by a predator, but since they were supposed to be supervised by staff, I feel it’s more likely the danger came from the staff and not a stranger.[/QUOTE]

This is very unlikely. The staff was abusive and irresponsible but they were not killers.

I know all of this information because my mother and one of her friends worked at New Lisbon (the friend worked there at the time of the disappearance) and I have their experiences and observations to rely on. I grew up near New Lisbon and I am very familiar with the area, both as it was then and as it is now.

Bumping with Charley Project links:
http://charleyproject.org/case/steven-eugene-anderson
http://charleyproject.org/case/david-edward-williams
[h=1]David Edward Williams[/h]
  • david_edward_williams_1.jpg
  • david_edward_williams_2.jpg
David, circa 1975; Age-progression to age 48 (circa 2010)

• Missing Since 04/07/1975
  • Missing From New Lisbon, New Jersey
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 10/09/1962 (55)
  • Age 12 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0, 113 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark-colored polo shirt, a small blue corduroy jacket, striped pants and a protective seizure helmet.
  • Medical Conditions David is mentally disabled and has epileptic seizures. He is required to take daily medications, and he did not have his medicine with him when he vanished.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American male. Black hair, brown eyes. David has previously fractured his left femur.

[h=1]Steven Eugene Anderson[/h]
  • steven_eugene_anderson_1.jpg
  • steven_eugene_anderson_2.jpg
Steven, circa 1975; Age-progression to age 56 (circa 2013)

• Missing Since 04/07/1975
  • Missing From New Lisbon, New Jersey
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 05/25/1957 (60)
  • Age 17 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'7 - 5'9, 141 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A blue shirt, blue pants and a blue hooded jacket.
  • Medical Conditions Steven is moderately mentally disabled. He has trouble communicating and isn't capable of caring for himself.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, hazel/blue eyes. Steven's upper front tooth was chipped at the time of his disappearance. He has chicken pox scars on his abdomen. He fractured his right clavicle as a child. Steven's nickname is Teeve.

The area they were searching is a town over from me. Mayetta Landing Road is one of those long roads that takes you through the marshland and out into Barnegat Bay. There are some homes on the road but also large sections of woods and tall marsh plants. It's not the type of place people can go walking through.

There have not been any updates on the FBI search since December 2017. I wonder if they found any clues.

Could this Philadelphia Unidentified John Doe case be related. Note April 1975 date.

John Philadelphia Doe 1975
NCMU1319827c1.jpg

• Date Found
    • Apr 12, 1975
    • Location Found
    • Philadelphia, PA
    • Estimated Age
    • 16-20
    • Sex
    • Male
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Brown
    • Eye Color
    • Unknown
    • Estimated Height
    • 5'8"
    • Estimated Weight
    • 155 lbs
Extra Photo
NCMU1319827x1.jpg

On April 12, 1975 an unidentified male was found floating in Frankfort Creek in Philadelphia, PA. He had been deceased several days. The male was Caucasian, 16-20 years old. He stood approximately 5’8” tall and weighed around 155 pounds. He had brown hair. His eye color is unknown. He was found wearing a zip-up red Mackinaw plaid jacket, an olive green long sleeve v-neck shirt with a black knit collar, blue Wrangler jeans, white or yellow low-cut sneakers and grey ankle socks. A brass key was found in the right pocket of his pants and $2.00 were found in his socks. Pictured above is a digital reconstruction of the jacket, and a facial reconstruction created by a NCMEC Forensic Artist that depicts what the male may have looked like.

LINK:

Have you seen this child? JOHN PHILADELPHIA DOE 1975

The Philadelphia John Doe has already been ruled out. There seems to be a decent number of people who left and have never been seen from again who were at this school. The abuse and neglect makes me think some didn't just wander away. They found one patient in a strait jacket and suffocated with styrofoam. This patient was never suppose to be in a strait jacket. One newer case of neglect would be a patient who froze to death. I wouldn't be shocked if some of these missing patients were buried somewhere on the property.

New Lisbon Developmental Center

New Lisbon Developmental Center (NLDC), founded in 1914, is located in New Lisbon, Burlington County on a 1,896-acre tract of land on the edge of the New Jersey Pinelands. It became a state training institution in 1916 and has provided a comprehensive system of care for women and men with intellectual and developmental disabilities since 1977. As of March 2017, NLDC has a census of 351 residents.

LINK:

Department of Human Services | New Lisbon Developmental Center

The Philadelphia John Doe has already been ruled out. There seems to be a decent number of people who left and have never been seen from again who were at this school. The abuse and neglect makes me think some didn't just wander away. They found one patient in a strait jacket and suffocated with styrofoam. This patient was never suppose to be in a strait jacket. One newer case of neglect would be a patient who froze to death. I wouldn't be shocked if some of these missing patients were buried somewhere on the property.

How recent was all this?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back