NM NM - Patty Pritz, 14, & Mattie Restine, 13, Carlsbad, 11 Aug 1961 - #2

dotr,
I don't remember seeing this article. Thank you for this contribution. Chances are the DA's office didn't want to risk another career ending, type blunder after they and the county sheriff's office tried to blame the girls' deaths on a mentally retarded, young man who couldn't even drive, an insult to the intelligence of the girls' parents, plus the judge and jury.

But my oh my, Rabe looks like a solid, potential suspect to me. Working a job that had him traveling around, living in motels, someone who according to Cathey had anger issues, kept up with the case for years, had an inconclusive polygraph, and tried to insinuate two friends of his committed this atrocious crime against 2 little innocent girls. Seems like he did everything he could to advance himself as a suspect. It would have set alarm bells off in my head.

Here's a guy who didn't even know anyone in town. He took up with two guys that worked at a gas station near his motel, and later became close with them, but perhaps only for the purpose of deflecting any LE eyes that came to rest on Rabe as a suspect. As long as Rabe knew where they were, they might be useful to him if LE wanted to ask him a few more questions. Perhaps they should have.

Rabe would have been around 27 at the time of the murders, and in the right age bracket for the crime. Did he have no prior arrests in NM or in TX, where his mother lived? What about later arrests in Arizona? Those answers would be most helpful. How does one hold down a traveling sales? job while studying for law school or the bar? Law school is intense!

In my recall of Estrada's work that Sunshine shared with us, I sure don't remember much attention being paid to Rabe. Was it because Rabe couldn't be associated with a .38? Then too, that was the weapon of choice for LE back then wasn't it?

Why would Cathey even suggest McGrew as a potential suspect? McGrew's gun could easily have been matched to the markings on a bullet, and that either would have cleared McGrew or posthumously convicted him if only in people's minds.

Based on the evidence, was it ever surmised whether there was one killer or two? Does LE think either of the girls knew their assailant/s or do they think this was a random crime of opportunity?

Bumping with this somewhat poignant news link from September 22 2003.
bbm.
http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/87987nm09-22-03.htm

"In 1961, detectives sent 18 pieces of evidence, including the girls' clothing, hair and blood samples, to the FBI lab in Washington where it has been preserved. Some of the evidence was recently sent to a private lab for DNA testing. Estrada would not comment on results, citing the pending investigation.
Mattie's father, Pete Restine, 81, said he is grateful for the revitalized investigation.
"I'm tickled to death that somebody has finally got hold of it," said Restine, who traveled from Oklahoma to Carlsbad this week. "I've found out more here in the last three months than I found out in the last 40 years."
Estrada said that reopening the case has been a humbling experience.
"It shows the reality that we don't just see victims as being a subjective object but actually as a loved one, a person," he said".

I have a question for anybody who can answer. Early on in this thread there were a bunch of pages from the official investivation of this case. Have these been permanently removed? The reason why I ask is because I recently spoke with a NM state cop who I work with on occassion and he became currious about the case. I know that these files were probably permanently deleted due to an ongoing investigation, but i thought I would ask just in case. The guy has over 30 years experience in LE so I wanted to get his unoffical take on this case. If these files are no longer available then I guess I will just send him links to theses threads.

I have a question for anybody who can answer. Early on in this thread there were a bunch of pages from the official investivation of this case. Have these been permanently removed? The reason why I ask is because I recently spoke with a NM state cop who I work with on occassion and he became currious about the case. I know that these files were probably permanently deleted due to an ongoing investigation, but i thought I would ask just in case. The guy has over 30 years experience in LE so I wanted to get his unoffical take on this case. If these files are no longer available then I guess I will just send him links to theses threads.

Welcome to Ws and this thread, Josephus!

Hope someone can answer those questions for you concerning any missing threads,it would be wonderful to see some justice for Mattie and Patty after all these years!

Bumping for answers on this case . I would also like to know about deleted pages ?

There was information in the past but the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept had ot all removed several yrs ago. They told me if I shared that information again I would be in trouble because it is considered an open case! HA. You can tell that to your NM state cop. He should know how to get the old records. The NM State cop Lt. I talked with wasn't very nice about the murder of my sister. They didn't want to help when I asked for help. My sister was Mattie Catherine Restine. Are you the guy asking around about the case because you are writing a book about the case?

There was information in the past but the Eddy County Sheriff's Dept had ot all removed several yrs ago. They told me if I shared that information again I would be in trouble because it is considered an open case! HA. You can tell that to your NM state cop. He should know how to get the old records. The NM State cop Lt. I talked with wasn't very nice about the murder of my sister. They didn't want to help when I asked for help. My sister was Mattie Catherine Restine. Are you the guy asking around about the case because you are writing a book about the case?

Nope im not that guy. I'm just someone who has followed this case for several years now. Ive read everyting on here and on topix. I've never really posted anything because i'm just the type of person to not say anything unless I can help in some way. This case always stays in my mind and any time i get to talk to someone with an LE background or criminal justice background, i always bring up this case. My hope is that someday somone will give this case to that special someone who will crack this case wide open and not take no for an answer, no matter how strong or how high the resistance is.

Nope im not that guy. I'm just someone who has followed this case for several years now. Ive read everyting on here and on topix. I've never really posted anything because i'm just the type of person to not say anything unless I can help in some way. This case always stays in my mind and any time i get to talk to someone with an LE background or criminal justice background, i always bring up this case. My hope is that someday somone will give this case to that special someone who will crack this case wide open and not take no for an answer, no matter how strong or how high the resistance is.

Welcome to the thread Josephus, glad you popped in with some questions, and also hoping that one day the info. will somehow get to the right person and this case gets solved!

Hoping that 2014 will be the year this 1961 case will be solved.
All the best to everyone for the new year, may your dearest wishes all come true!

Thank you for supporting our cause in seeking justice for Mattie &Patty's unsolved murder case. I've been pretty much shut down on posting what information I have regarding this case but I will never give up on finding out who killed my sister. Again thank you.

Still bumping for the truth about the Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz murders.
If I understand correctly, there is someone, or two who is suspect, but for some reason (legal loopholes?) cannot be publicly named. Hope I got that right.
Why oh why will the DNA not be retested in this case?

If, this person/s is still alive, wouldn't people want to know that possibly one of their neighbours killed 2 little girls?!
If that person/s is dead, maybe they took more evil secrets to the grave that, if exposed, might just give someone still alive some much needed peace. imo.

Hi Tainted Angel...I did see the post...thank you for letting me know.
I feel so bad for the children of DBlair...they have been victims in this horrible crime as well as our own families have over the years. It does sound like David, Jr. is just now getting involved in this mess. I pray that he will have peace some day....I don't blame him for anything. He wasn't even born when this happened...but if he could share any information with me or go to the sheriff's office that would be great. His own mother can tell him alot about the information that has been talked about over the years.
I just hope that the families involved can help each other out...then just maybe we could get this case solved.
I pray each night that someone will come forward and tell the truth. It would mean so much to me to know what caused a person to kill Mattie and why! She was a very loving ,young girl who loved everyone. She didn't deserve to be killed and left out on the desert floor like some dead animal. The person that killed Mattie and Patty are just sick individuals that need to be held accountable for what they did. Even if they are dead thenselves now. The truth needs to come out...
Again thanks for the informaiton. Everyone has been so helpful...and I greatly appreciate it all.
Rbbm

Bumping this plea to get justice for a big ( 13 years old ) sister, from a little sister.

Bumping for justice for Mattie Restine and Patty Pritz, found brutally murdered , August 1961.

http://www.dps.state.nm.us/index.php/media/cold-case-files/

This web page has been created in an effort to obtain any information which would assist the New Mexico State Police in their investigations of unsolved homicides or missing persons cases. If you have information on any unsolved homicide you can contact Captain Miguel Aguilar"

Josephus, if your state policeman is really interested in this case it would be great to have someone that can crack the Eddy County Sheriff's Office stance on this case. It has now been over fifty years. Why they won't share what they have with family and friends of the victims is just not good police work at this point. It is not like this case is a few years old. There may be things that only family or close friends might recognize as a clue. Anne has been on her own with the investigation into this case and the biggest problem has been the lack of help from the ECSO. Just let her look at the files, in your presence. What is the problem with that?

I have not spoke with the NM state cop in over 7 months. I did send him links to his work email for this thread but have not spoke to him since. I re-read alot of the stuff writen about this case and i think that the state investigators had 300+ pages of ivestigation info and ECSO only had 50+ pages. I believe Estrada requested all this info and got it. I think Anne also may have copies of this info (not really aure about that). I do feel for Annes situation and i wish i could be more helpfull. IMO jurisdiction and maybe some past corruption maybe the biggest obstacles to solving this case. When i asked the NM state cop what one can do about corruption he said 1) contact the attorney generals office of gov. Accountability. And 2) contact the media. I know that Anne has contacted the media.

I thought I should make a correction to my last post. The NM state PD had 263 pages of investigation and the ECSO only had 40. This is according to post #655 by Legacy in the #1st thread. I don't want to be perceived as misleading in any way. Feel free to correct me if i made any other factual mistakes.

I thought I should make a correction to my last post. The NM state PD had 263 pages of investigation and the ECSO only had 40. This is according to post #655 by Legacy in the #1st thread. I don't want to be perceived as misleading in any way. Feel free to correct me if i made any other factual mistakes.

Thank you for keeping this thread going on Mattie and Patty ' s Unsolved Murder Case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot
Back