NM - Student injured after teacher encourages students to fight with swords in class - Feb 27th, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score

1709105056378.png

In the video, a student can be seen wielding the heavy katana sword. He appears to wield it defensively by parrying the other student’s attacks, moving backward, and retreating away while holding a lighter, longer rapier-style blade. He makes stabbing motions toward the other student as teacher Loviata Mitchell looks on.

Were the teacher's actions even legal? Encouraging teenagers to fight with real weapons and not seeking medical attention for the victim?

The assistant principal's report sounds like it may be...incomplete.
JMO.

Wait what??? Thought this would be a theater/drama class, or at least reading Shakespeare or the like.

Mr. Laughing is a retired chem/physics teacher. Never used swords in 29 years!

Wow, wow, wow.

jmho ymmv lrr

Gives me the willies to read that the same instructor was hired as a special ed teacher in 2021 and fired from that job in 2022—I hope I’m wrong, but I could imagine that she would have eagerly taken advantage of especially vulnerable students in a special education classroom by staging stunts similar to this one as a “surprise” or “treat” or incentivizing those students to attack each other for her own sick entertainment.

Not the first time fighting has been encouraged in class by a teacher:

Assistant principal Manuel Algaza is also being sued after his investigation cleared Mitchell of blame for the 'accident'.

'In response to the report's question, 'Did the injury violate school rules?' Mr. Alzaga checked a box indicating 'No',' the lawsuit claims.

Um, wow, my niece & nephew & their cousins graduated from APS schools -- never once mentioned swords in Chem class, but Nephew would have loved it!

View attachment 486619

In the video, a student can be seen wielding the heavy katana sword. He appears to wield it defensively by parrying the other student’s attacks, moving backward, and retreating away while holding a lighter, longer rapier-style blade. He makes stabbing motions toward the other student as teacher Loviata Mitchell looks on. Hmmm. Teachers are tasked with ensuring the safety and well-being of students, not provoking them into potentially dangerous behavior. Instead of encouraging violence or fencing in class, it would be better if she taught something useful. Everyone already uses the writing service, we found https://ca.edubirdie.com/ for this. Every year, education only degrades. This video is proof of that. I hope that the necessary measures will be taken in this situation.
Is this teacher still working somewhere? This sounds quite dangerous and ill-conceived. Such actions by a teacher can lead to serious consequences, as in this case with a student injury. I would take away all rights from her to work with children!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back