NV - Parents arrested after 11-year old found locked inside metal enclosure - April 24, 2024

The arrest came after police arrived at the Scanlan home around 10:15 a.m. on Tuesday to respond to a truancy report from the school district. The school officer had arrived at the home after a child had been missing from school and could hear screams coming from the house, CBS affiliate KLAS-TV reported. The truant officer requested backup help from the police.

It took the father 40 minutes to open the door for police when they arrived, KLAS reported, and once inside, the officers found an 11-year-old boy in a large enclosure with metal bars and locked doors," similar to a jail cell," according to the report.

The boy, who was wearing a diaper and had feces smeared throughout the enclosure had "severe Autism spectrum disorder," the father told police, and the cage was allegedly used to control his outbursts. There were three other children in the home at the time. One of the children told police the enclosure had been in the house for two years, KLAS reported, but the father said it had been there for six years.
Nevada parents arrested after 11-year-old found in makeshift "jail cell" installed years ago :mad: :mad::mad::mad:

Barely any furniture was in the home and feces was smeared on the walls in other bedrooms police said in their report, KLAS reported. The mother told police she tried to clean the bedrooms and cage every week but it had been a while.
[snip]
Child protective services took the three other children into custody. The 11-year-old was sent to the hospital, KLAS reported.

After the Scanlans were booked into Henderson County Detention Center, both were released on a $5,000 bond the next day according to online court records. They are scheduled to appear in court in May.
Nevada parents arrested after 11-year-old found in makeshift "jail cell" installed years ago

One man was shocked to learn what was happening in his neighborhood.

"I don't have space in my head to think about how you can do that," he said, in Spanish.
[snip]
According to police, the couple's daughter also has autism, and they locked her in her room as well.

"There's no justification for this," the couple's neighbor said.
[snip]
The Henderson couple will be back in court for a status check on May 14.
Nevada parents locked son with autism inside feces-covered makeshift jail cell: police report

Poor kids. Didn't this family have access to medical care and resources for help, especially because it sounds like at least some of their children were enrolled in school?

I don't quite understand how they could stand living that way. The parents need full psychological evaluations. IMO.

Poor kids. Didn't this family have access to medical care and resources for help, especially because it sounds like at least some of their children were enrolled in school?

I don't quite understand how they could stand living that way. The parents need full psychological evaluations. IMO.
I don't understand how anyone could live in those conditions. It's unfathomable that people can do this to their children.

Some severely affected children might be better off with foster parents or at least in a group home situation where staff understand their special needs. It seems to me that this couple didn't have a clue what to do, so they opted for the worst possible thing.

Some people judge severely if parents choose a group home, unfortunately. I wish the judgment wasn't so prevalent. It's probably what this child/family needs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back