NV NV - Steven T. Koecher, 30, Henderson, 13 Dec 2009 - #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've already given mine out to the local motorcycle shop -- I just printed them off on the laser printer rather than waiting for FedEx.

(I should have griped earlier -- FedEx just delivered them.)

The layout turned out differently from what I saw on the screen, but they're fine.

There are 10 boxes of 250, so I'll be sending them out "by the box". The little boxes will work as informal dispensers, too.

Those who have already volunteered, yours will go out tomorrow.

I've already given mine out to the local motorcycle shop -- I just printed them off on the laser printer rather than waiting for FedEx.

Cool!

I don't have a color printer (only a black-and-white laser printer)...and when I figured out the cost of 2500 cards, it was best to order them.

(I should have griped earlier -- FedEx just delivered them.)

The layout turned out differently from what I saw on the screen, but they're fine.

There are 10 boxes of 250, so I'll be sending them out "by the box". The little boxes will work as informal dispensers, too.

Those who have already volunteered, yours will go out tomorrow.

That is great! This was a terrific idea!

Thank you Laytonian, Carbuff, and other volunteers for your work making and distributing the cards. It feels good to know SOMETHING is being done to find Steven. Here's to hoping for the best....:crossfingers:

Thank you Laytonian, Carbuff, and other volunteers for your work making and distributing the cards. It feels good to know SOMETHING is being done to find Steven. Here's to hoping for the best....:crossfingers:

Absolutely. Even IF all that happens is some memories are refreshed, that's a step in the right direction.

1,501 cards went out today.

Thanks also to sbakker and Sin City.

Idea came to me while viewing another case: Did SK carry a pocket knife? Do we know? Wasn't he involved with boy scouts when younger?
Thinking if it was suicide, he could have used that, but where in the world is he?

Well, I don't usually bump, but I am distressed to see Steven's thread moving to page 2. So here's a big BUMP for Steven. Hope this gets him back to page 1. Where on earth could he be?

I present this for what it's worth -- I think I've mentioned that a guy I'm acquainted with is a retired cop? I was chatting with him about Steven and mentioned that one of the things we can't figure out is why he was there.

He said that wouldn't be unusual for someone who was planning to end his life for whatever reason. Some people, quite a few people really, choose to go to a place they've never been before, where they don't know anybody, where there's no chance their family or friends will be the ones to find the body. Often it seems the place they choose is almost random. (This is kind of gross, but he says most people who do this choose some form of hanging or suffocation, often aided by drugs. I don't know whether he had data for that or that was just his impression.)

He also said that in that situation, walking away is the equivalent of suicide -- you're dead to your own life.

He reminded me that as far as LE is concerned, neither suicide nor walkaway is their business. Cops are about solving crimes and protecting the public, not about finding answers to painful family questions. Which was not comforting but I can see why it's that way.

Carbuff, maybe you could ask you friend why Steven would take his car keys & have a portfolio under his arm. Why buy Christmas decorations? Why take your phone?

I could accept suicide if it weren't for the portfolio under his arm.

I present this for what it's worth -- I think I've mentioned that a guy I'm acquainted with is a retired cop? I was chatting with him about Steven and mentioned that one of the things we can't figure out is why he was there.

He said that wouldn't be unusual for someone who was planning to end his life for whatever reason. Some people, quite a few people really, choose to go to a place they've never been before, where they don't know anybody, where there's no chance their family or friends will be the ones to find the body. Often it seems the place they choose is almost random. (This is kind of gross, but he says most people who do this choose some form of hanging or suffocation, often aided by drugs. I don't know whether he had data for that or that was just his impression.)

He also said that in that situation, walking away is the equivalent of suicide -- you're dead to your own life.

He reminded me that as far as LE is concerned, neither suicide nor walkaway is their business. Cops are about solving crimes and protecting the public, not about finding answers to painful family questions. Which was not comforting but I can see why it's that way.

...and that's why so many cases founder, until there's a body and some evidence.

In this case, IF it's a suicide, parking the car may have been a canard to throw people off-track -- and it may have worked, since it's the only area that's ever searched.

There's one thing I wish we knew: did Steven have control of his cellphone, after the car is parked.

If he did, WHY are the last cell tower hits clustered in the Whitney Ranch area? Did he have some elaborate suicide planned to throw people off-track....and if he could get away that far, what happened next. :banghead:

Carbuff, maybe you could ask you friend why Steven would take his car keys & have a portfolio under his arm. Why buy Christmas decorations? Why take your phone?

Can I guess?

Why take car keys and phone with you?
Habit.

Portfolio under his arm?
We actually don't know what it is.
It could hold a weapon.

He didn't buy Christmas decorations.
He bought "dollar gifts" for the family members (baby bib, decorated sugar cookies, etc) whose names he had drawn for the family gift exchange.
To me, that's the major sign that this could be a suicide: buying Christmas presents two weeks before Christmas, and leaving them in the car (when he could have taken them inside the house).

Why NOT take certain things? Because you know you won't need them, even if you're locked out of your apartment? things like:
Computer.
Phone charger.
Books, diary/journal, etc.

But yes, I'd like to hear from Carbuff's friend about what was found in the car, what's believed he was carrying, and what was left behind in the apartment.

I just went to Steven's FB page, and see that KC is announcing a new website (For Steven), established by the family.

They'll be limiting access to the FB page. I'm sure it's a PITA to try to keep up with it. On the new page, comments will be filtered before they are posted.

I've had no response from the family in regards to the business cards. Based on this new approach by the family, I guess there's another quantity of cards available to anyone who'd like to send them out.

I just went to Steven's FB page, and see that KC is announcing a new website (For Steven), established by the family.

They'll be limiting access to the FB page. I'm sure it's a PITA to try to keep up with it. On the new page, comments will be filtered before they are posted.

I've had no response from the family in regards to the business cards. Based on this new approach by the family, I guess there's another quantity of cards available to anyone who'd like to send them out.

The timeline is on the new website. It is unfortunate if they do not want the cards because I think they were a great idea. How long has it been since you contacted them about the cards?

The timeline is on the new website. It is unfortunate if they do not want the cards because I think they were a great idea. How long has it been since you contacted them about the cards?

It's been about ten days.

It's no problem. I saved 1,000 for them, in case they were interested.
I can mail them out myself to the SCA and areas we'd mentioned before.

My friend didn't want to get into specifics about this particular case, being as he's not a licensed PI. He was only willing to speak in generalities; he felt that anything more would be offering professional advice he wasn't qualified to give. But he didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary just glancing over the timeline. He said if the case had come into his desk while he was working, he would have thought "70% suicide, 25% walkaway, 5% everything else."

Speaking only for myself, I don't see a portfolio. He looks to me like he's texting or reading a text message, and might or might not have something under his arm. Newspaper, paper bag with a large dose of Perc or Oxycontin or Valium, paper bag with a fifth of whiskey, paper bag with a knife or a gun or a rope, something on that order.

The fact that he bought Christmas gifts for the kids and then left them in the car where they'd be likely to be found, and left the car in a place where it was likely to be found and returned to the family, all sound like "goodbye" to me.

The phone? I think he waited until morning to see whether someone who he had quarreled with called to apologize or something. No message, no reason to live. I suspect -- no evidence for this -- that he walked out somewhere he could be alone, where he could watch the sunrise.

The other variation on this is that he just wanted some space, but ran into an accident of some sort -- a fall, misjudged the temperature and contracted hypothermia, etc.

But, you know, that 30% other things that my acquaintance thought were likely is still a pretty big window for finding Steven. It doesn't make me want to give up.

My friend didn't want to get into specifics about this particular case, being as he's not a licensed PI. He was only willing to speak in generalities; he felt that anything more would be offering professional advice he wasn't qualified to give. But he didn't see anything that looked out of the ordinary just glancing over the timeline. He said if the case had come into his desk while he was working, he would have thought "70% suicide, 25% walkaway, 5% everything else."

Speaking only for myself, I don't see a portfolio. He looks to me like he's texting or reading a text message, and might or might not have something under his arm. Newspaper, paper bag with a large dose of Perc or Oxycontin or Valium, paper bag with a fifth of whiskey, paper bag with a knife or a gun or a rope, something on that order.

The fact that he bought Christmas gifts for the kids and then left them in the car where they'd be likely to be found, and left the car in a place where it was likely to be found and returned to the family, all sound like "goodbye" to me.

The phone? I think he waited until morning to see whether someone who he had quarreled with called to apologize or something. No message, no reason to live. I suspect -- no evidence for this -- that he walked out somewhere he could be alone, where he could watch the sunrise.

The other variation on this is that he just wanted some space, but ran into an accident of some sort -- a fall, misjudged the temperature and contracted hypothermia, etc.

But, you know, that 30% other things that my acquaintance thought were likely is still a pretty big window for finding Steven. It doesn't make me want to give up.

Me, neither.

On the family's new website, his brother makes an interesting statement:
"... we know a thousand different things that didn’t happen to Steven but we still don’t know the one thing that did happen."

What have we ruled out? Walking onto the golf course from EL, since there's a locked gate at the top of that path?

This is interesting out of Las Vegas, Unidentified but living :

county aims to identify five wards

http://www.lvrj.com/news/at-dead-end--county-aims-to-identify-five-wards-99219554.html

WARDS OF CLARK COUNTY: Family never gave up hope for Las Vegas homeless woman

http://www.lvrj.com/news/family-never-gave-up-hope-for-las-vegas-homeless-woman--101249749.html

The one woman went missing in Vegas in 2002 and just recently identified.

Great minds think alike; I was just coming over to post that. Thank you!

Amazing what ONE Las Vegas Metropolitan PD detective can do, when given the means and mission to identify the living.

I find it shocking that NO ONE, in all of these years, ever checked the one logical database, which would have identified "Margra".

I hope they don't drop this effort, because there are people out on the streets who are one step from having to be declared legal wards.

The guy doing the "tunnel people" contacts told me he'd been aware of Steven's story, and I asked him to just let someone know if he comes across him.

The story gave me an idea of where to send some cards to: the library, which NO ONE here had ever mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drena519