NY – Ex POTUS Donald Trump, sued by E. Jean Carroll for defamation, Trial 15 Jan 2024

I agree with Trump here as well -- yes, the judge treated him like a common criminal. And that is because, within the context of this case, Trump IS a common criminal.

Yes, @MyBelle, anyone in America has the freedom to say an allegation isn't true. Even if it IS true, and they are lying, it's legal to claim otherwise (except when under oath and other similar specific situations).

What is NOT legal is to defame someone, and especially in such a way that harms their livelihood and reputation.

I know it's a somewhat subtle distinction, especially for Trump who seems to think it's always acceptable to insult others. In most situations, insults are merely tactless and childish and show his own poor character. In other situations, when it rises to the level of defamation, it's illegal. I bet he still doesn't understand, though, since he's so busy calling it persecution. I wonder how frustrated his legal team gets in trying to explain the actual legal issues to him...

MOO
A Judge is not supposed to show any bias. This Judge mocked Trump and laughed to the media cameras in the courtroom. A Judge is supposed to comport themselves professionally from the bench rather than stoop to the same level as the defendant.

JMO

A Judge is not supposed to show any bias. This Judge mocked Trump and laughed to the media cameras in the courtroom. A Judge is supposed to comport themselves professionally from the bench rather than stoop to the same level as the defendant.

JMO
Are you thinking of Judge Engoron?

Cameras weren’t allowed in the courtroom for this case.

Trump again attacked E Jean Carroll on CNBC this morning as “Miss Bergdorf Goodman,” said it’s a “false accusation” and said he will win on appeal.

Robbie Kaplan, main lawyer for Carroll, does not rule out a new defamation suit: "The statute of limitations for defamation in most jurisdictions is between one and three years. As we said after the last jury verdict, we continue to monitor every statement that Donald Trump makes about our client, E. Jean Carroll."

Instead, Judge Kaplan allowed EJC and her attorneys to weaponize the court process. I don't believe her and neither did the jury because they didn't find Trump guilty of rape.

The jury believed her, that's why they awarded her $5 million dollars. They said he sexually abused her, but they also said there wasn't enough evidence that he raped her.

EJC used the court properly, getting some justice against a slandering serial abuser. If Trump doesn't want to be in court so much he should stop committing so many crimes.

The jury believed her, that's why they awarded her $5 million dollars. They said he sexually abused her, but they also said there wasn't enough evidence that he raped her.

EJC used the court properly, getting some justice against a slandering serial abuser. If Trump doesn't want to be in court so much he should stop committing so many crimes.
BBM. I don't like Trump and never voted for him, but isn't this a civil lawsuit?

JMO

BBM. I don't like Trump and never voted for him, but isn't this a civil lawsuit?

JMO

His many court appearances include criminal cases. And this case was initiated under the Adult Survivors Act which allowed civil suits for various sex crimes outside of their statute of limitations. So this case is also based on Trump's criminality.

His many court appearances include criminal cases. And this case was initiated under the Adult Survivors Act which allowed civil suits for various sex crimes outside of their statute of limitations. So this case is also based on Trump's criminality.
Such legislation trivializes the emotional trauma real rape and sexual assault victims experience.

The problem I have with this case isn't because it involves Trump, it is because EJC publicly laughed and mocked Trump after she won the case, and he posted the bond.

I've known too many women who are victims of sexual abuse which often goes hand in hand with domestic violence. It is a traumatic event for victims. In fact, far too many victims still fail to report it to police or try to get Emergency Orders of Protection because they fear it will trigger more violence.

JMO

Such legislation trivializes the emotional trauma real rape and sexual assault victims experience.

If a rape happens over 3 years ago, it's not a "real" rape????

The problem I have with this case isn't because it involves Trump, it is because EJC publicly laughed and mocked Trump after she won the case, and he posted the bond.

I've known too many women who are victims of sexual abuse which often goes hand in hand with domestic violence. It is a traumatic event for victims. In fact, far too many victims still fail to report it to police or try to get Emergency Orders of Protection because they fear it will trigger more violence.

And if rape victims don't behave how you want them to, they weren't really raped?????

Yes, and emphasis on the J.

:rolleyes:

If a rape happens over 3 years ago, it's not a "real" rape????

And if rape victims don't behave how you want them to, they weren't really raped???

Yes, and emphasis on the J.

:rolleyes:
BBM. I did not say that or imply it. A real rape should be prosecuted. These civil suits are ploys to extract money from wealthy men. EJC also claimed CBS' Les Monvees raped her. Where is her lawsuit against him? He also denied it happened.

A rape is a an emotionally traumatic crime which is why victims are often provided with advocates to stand before the Judge, when they apply for an emergency order of protection. It is why organizations such as the YWCA have provided resources including pro-bono attorneys and shelters to help women leave a violent relationship. The victim's fear of retribution is very real. I've served on the boards of organizations that have provided funding for these resources.

Rape victims can suffer depression, anxiety, PTSD for many years. That is a fact, not just my opinion. Rape victims don't laugh about it as EJC did with her friend. They don't publicly ridicule and mock their attacker.

The jury concluded Trump didn't rape her. Trump will appeal this case and I think he will win.

JMO

Birnbach said she remembers Carroll "laughing" as she told the story. She said repeatedly that Trump pulled down her tights. Birnbach said at first she was laughing, too, but as Carroll continued she stopped, realizing what her friend was describing was rape.

"Honestly, you said 'he put his pe**s in me,'" Birnbach recalls. "And I said 'what? He rap** you?'"

Regardless of age, gender, or orientation, the impact of sexual violence goes far beyond any physical injuries. The trauma of being raped or sexually assaulted can be shattering, leaving you feeling scared, ashamed, and alone or plagued by nightmares, flashbacks, and other unpleasant memories. The world doesn’t feel like a safe place anymore. You no longer trust others. You don’t even trust yourself. You may question your judgment, your self-worth, and even your sanity. You may blame yourself for what happened or believe that you’re “dirty” or “damaged goods.” Relationships feel dangerous, intimacy impossible. And on top of that, like many rape survivors, you may struggle with PTSD, anxiety, and depression.

BBM. I did not say that or imply it. A real rape should be prosecuted. These civil suits are ploys to extract money from wealthy men. EJC also claimed CBS' Les Monvees raped her. Where is her lawsuit against him? He also denied it happened.

If it were about money, per your accusation, she should be suing him too, so maybe it isn't about money. Or maybe it's because the assault occurred in California which doesn't have the same laws.

<modsnip - personalizing>

The jury concluded Trump didn't rape her. Trump will appeal this case and I think he will win.

No, they didn't conclude that. A verdict that a claim was not proven to an evidence standard does not equal an exoneration. Not guilty does not mean innocent.

Also,

A federal judge has gone to great lengths to make clear Trump really did rape E. Jean Carroll - Mother Jones

Judge clarifies: Yes, Trump was found to have raped E. Jean Carroll - Washington Post

<modsnip: personalizing>

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were about money, per your accusation, she should be suing him too, so maybe it isn't about money. Or maybe it's because the assault occurred in California which doesn't have the same laws.

<modsnip - personalizing>

No, they didn't conclude that. A verdict that a claim was not proven to an evidence standard does not equal an exoneration. Not guilty does not mean innocent.

Also,

A federal judge has gone to great lengths to make clear Trump really did rape E. Jean Carroll - Mother Jones

Judge clarifies: Yes, Trump was found to have raped E. Jean Carroll - Washington Post

<modsnip: personalizing>
As a survivor of SA, I thank you for saying this.

For Ms. Carroll and every other survivor.. I wish for her to have justice. If that's a verdict by a jury that adds legal validation to her experience, if that's being awarded financial compensation by the court, if it's having an opportunity to laugh at her attacker after years of feeling the weight of what was done to her.. if it's even one step down the path of healing for her.. then I stand by her and applaud her. And I thank her for leading the way for every person who will now feel empowered to seek justice in the future.

IMO, IME.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chubb sent a letter to their customers defending issuing Trump's bond.

The bond guarantees Carroll will be paid if/when she prevails, so I don't think people should be mad at Chubb, unless they had given Trump a freebie, but they say it is fully collateralized. Well they say that's their normal business practice at least.

Still don't know what Trump used for collateral, he might have gotten help from someone else.

Last edited:

Trump and his top advisers are already a magnet for legal trouble. Habba, who already settled a discrimination lawsuit by her former legal secretary, is no exception. But now she faces the wrath of Alice Bianco, who was once a waitress at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, the real estate tycoon’s summertime abode.

Bianco feels betrayed by Habba, who was one of her Bedminster regulars until, her lawsuit says, Habba posed as a concerned friend giving legal advice about how to address alleged sexual harassment by a supervisor—only to abuse that relationship and “fraudulently inducing” her to “quickly agree to unconscionable and illegal terms.”

The alleged ploy, rapidly paced over just two weeks, gave Habba leverage to arrange a hush money deal that would curry favor with the former president and earn her way into his inner circle.

Bianco is now preparing to sue the club all over again, this time for sexual harassment. But she’s also targeting Habba with a potential fraud lawsuit too, according to Bianco’s New Jersey lawyer, Nancy Erika Smith.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DirtDiva
Back