NY NY - Adam Ishak, 20, poss autistic, Rockaway Twp NJ resident, doesn’t drive, no ID, poss boarded bus from NYC to Saranac Lake, 29 Feb 2024

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Adam Ishak was last seen on Feb. 29. According to Rockaway Township Police, it's possible he boarded a bus from New York City to Saranac Lake around 7 a.m. that day.

Police say he left a note at his home in New Jersey, stating he was going to the airport.

Ishak doesn't drive and does not have an ID. His mother told police he is possibly on the autism spectrum but has not been diagnosed.

Adam Ishak missing person

I'm curious as to why they believe he went to Saranac Lake. Does he have a mode of transportation available once he got arrived? Does he know someone attending the community college there, or does he know someone who lives there? Does he ski? Does he winter hike/camp? Not a whole lot to do up there this time of year unless you're really into cold weather activities.

Police are asking for help from the public to track down a missing person. Adam Ishak, 20, from Rockaway Township, NJ was last seen about three weeks ago and is believed to have gone to Saranac Lake.

I just came across this case last night and I am pretty shocked. This is the 2nd 20 year old in Morris County to go missing in the past two weeks. The first reported one in Roxbury Twp, only 2 towns away from Rockaway. Here is the case I am referring to https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbu.../police-seek-help-finding-missing-roxbury-man.

This is strictly my first reaction was, they are friends and they ran away together. I say this because the case of the missing kid from Roxbury, he is new to the town, I am not sure where he moved from, but he has maybe lived in town for 2 years tops, he did not attend schools in Rroxbury. Also, Adam Ishak according to at least one article online has disappeared for a day or 2 before, but not this long. Maybe the friend was the ride to update NY?

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

“If he doesn’t want to contact family, he can contact the police department,”Perrotte said. “We’re just looking for him to check in with someone so we know he’s OK.”

Authorities aren’t sure if Ishak stayed in Saranac Lake after the bus arrived to town, or just passed through, Perrotte said, but they are telling people to keep their eyes open.

He said Ishak does not have any known ties to the Adirondacks.

Perrotte said Ishak’s mother has not heard from him in three weeks.

“He has left a couple times in the past for two to three days at a time,” Perrotte said. “But never anything this long going without contact.”

He said Ishak’s phone has been off and authorities have not seen any bank activity on his accounts.

“They really are kind of at a loss,” Perrotte said.

A missing person bulletin from the Rockaway Township Police states Ishak does not drive and does not have an ID. It says he left a note saying he was going to the airport and not to worry. But Perrotte said police found he purchased a bus ticket instead.

Perrotte said Ishak’s mother called his department first on Wednesday, and then the RTP department called soon after. SLPD shared the bulletin on Wednesday evening.

The New York State Police posted on their FB page that Adam exited the bus in Keene Valley and is believed to have been headed to Lake Placid.

My question still remains as to transportation -- it would be a very cold 20-mile walk to Lake Placid from Keene Valley. It doesn't appear that he was outfitted to hike in the area.

I just came across this case last night and I am pretty shocked. This is the 2nd 20 year old in Morris County to go missing in the past two weeks. The first reported one in Roxbury Twp, only 2 towns away from Rockaway. Here is the case I am referring to https://www.tapinto.net/towns/roxbu.../police-seek-help-finding-missing-roxbury-man.

This is strictly my first reaction was, they are friends and they ran away together. I say this because the case of the missing kid from Roxbury, he is new to the town, I am not sure where he moved from, but he has maybe lived in town for 2 years tops, he did not attend schools in Rroxbury. Also, Adam Ishak according to at least one article online has disappeared for a day or 2 before, but not this long. Maybe the friend was the ride to update NY?

Anyone else have thoughts about this?

Unfortunately, there is a link further down on the page you referenced showing that the other gentleman (from Roxbury Township) was found deceased on the 25th. :( I don't want to link or directly quote since it may not be related to Adam (and I seem to always make that mistake o_O).

The New York State Police posted on their FB page that Adam exited the bus in Keene Valley and is believed to have been headed to Lake Placid.

My question still remains as to transportation -- it would be a very cold 20-mile walk to Lake Placid from Keene Valley. It doesn't appear that he was outfitted to hike in the area.
did he take a bus from Rockaway to NYC and then a bus to Keene? does he have cash all the time? (I cannot imagine being a parent of an adult who just leaves like this....) Also curious where he has gone the other times he has been gone for a few days. Would they know if he was buying more bus or train tickets with cash?

Unfortunately, there is a link further down on the page you referenced showing that the other gentleman (from Roxbury Township) was found deceased on the 25th. :( I don't want to link or directly quote since it may not be related to Adam (and I seem to always make that mistake o_O).
I did see that, thanks.

I just mapped it and it's 19 miles from the bus stop in KV to LP...a 25 minute drive by car. They need to share details about why this area? Has he ever vacationed there? Did he meet someone online and traveled to meet them?

According to public information online, Adam's home address is in Wharton, NJ (new apartment/townhome community) which borders Rockaway. Rockaway is a much larger town with more resources...this could be why Rockaway is leading this? That is just my guess.

The latest news article I could find. Missing NJ man may be in Lake Placid, Keene area | News, Sports, Jobs - Adirondack Daily Enterprise

For anyone who doesn't know the area, the walk on Route 73 from Keene/Keene Valley to Lake Placid isn't just a stroll. The road is narrow and curvy with mountains rising on both sides, leading past stunning scenery, trailheads, and a handful of side roads to people's homes/seasonal camps and other trailheads. There is a shoulder to walk on, but traffic whizzes by at I think 45 mph. There are no stores or motels. It would be expensive to call a cab/Uber from Lake Placid to retrieve you from Keene/Keene Valley.

If he made it to Lake Placid, he would need some way to pay for shelter. Lake Placid is an upscale area and lodging is expensive (and scarce right now with the pending eclipse.) It's also a small enough community that someone would have taken notice of this young man by now. There isn't a large homeless population there, and I honestly can't recall if either Lake Placid or Saranac Lake have homeless shelters. Again, if he had been utilizing churches or food pantries someone would have noticed him. I suppose it would be possible to find a remote seasonal camp or cabin and break in, but you would really have to know where you're going and have transportation to one of these places.

My hope is that he went there specifically to meet someone and is safe, waiting for the eclipse to happen. There is no good outcome to him exiting the bus in Keene/Keene Valley and traveling on foot without any gear. If he attempted to hike any of the High Peaks in what he was last wearing, fellow hikers would take note and to be honest, he wouldn't make it very far up a trail in just sneakers without microspikes and winter weather clothing. They still have quite a bit of snow up there and the trails are almost always icy at higher elevations until at least early May (and sometimes well into June.)

MOO based on a lifetime of enjoying that corner of the world.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back