Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #1 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cautious optimism in search for Etan Patz's remains
By John Miller
"CBS This Morning" senior correspondent John Miller, a former FBI Assistant Director, was a local reporter in New York City and covered the story when Etan Patz disappeared

Investigators are cautiously optimistic the renewed search will lead to Etan's remains because of the interviews they've had with Othniel Miller, and because the dog alerted them to that basement, and because of the odd circumstances of when that concrete floor was laid after Etan's disappearance.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57417579/cautious-optimism-in-search-for-etan-patzs-remains/

---
"Mr. Miller has been cooperating with this investigation for over 30 years and he has continued to cooperate on multiple occasions and I'm going to assist him in cooperating to the fullest extent possible," Miller's lawyer said today.
---
Meanwhile, a sign near the Patz home today read, "To all hard-working and patient MEDIA PEOPLE: The answer to all your questions at this time is ‘No Comment."
http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/04/etan-patz-search-continues-in-soho-two-suspects.html

Wow - did you even click the link before making that statement ? The Daily Mail sites New York Magazine and The New York Post in their Etan article. The photos used are Associated Press, Reuters, ABC News, AfterEtan.Com and Patz Imaging - Etan Patz own Father of Patz Imaging. Among others. Their articles are in depth - and comparable to what is reported in MSM. More of a collaboration - instead of going to 3 or 4 different sites - the same information - with high quality pics + maps and sometimes new information - or information long forgotten is included. Very in depth. Not embellished. The Etan article is frequently updated as well. All of their online articles are this way. They actually site sources - unlike other so called MSM. I realize the paper version of The Daily Mail has a reputation. The online version is quite something different. And different staff runs the online version. If you read the article and spent time on the site and found discrepancies as to what is being reported elsewhere - then I sincerely do apologize. If you never bothered to read the online article there before making that blanket statement - that is a problem to me. I spent a very long time reading the article last night - then uploading pics to share here. All from Daily Mail then I linked to the article. So many photos there of the family and Etan himself. I wanted to share with anyone who cared. The missing posters the Father made himself 33 years ago - and the brother and father holding that photo are on Daily Mail - and some photos not easily found were all in one place. The Daily Mail article.

I said that *I* would wait for MSM and that *I* don't trust the Daily Mail. Since I made "I" statements I didn't think I needed to add "JMO." I'm sure that some of their articles are accurate, but they do have a history of libel and sensationalism. This is not about what either of us think about a source, this is about a 6 year old boy stolen from his family 33 years ago. So this is the last I will say about it.

Snipped

That interview prompted the FBI and NYPD to put special odor-absorbing pads in the room for four days. When those pads were presented to cadaver dogs, they signaled the odor of human remains. The dogs were then brought to the basement where they again indicated the scent of human remains.

Snipped

According to sources, the area of the basement where the dog picked up the scent appears to be one that had been resurfaced with fresh concrete at or shortly after the time of Patz's disappearance.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/etan-patz-dissapeard-steps-home/story?id=16180332#.T5HLyo5ivs1

Fresh concrete right during the search for a missing child that that person saw the day before - 197 feet from his home.. How could they not dig that up back then?

Ok. Let's remember WHY most of us are HERE on this site. There is someone out there that maybe just maybe YOU can make a difference for. Today we are seeing that if one continues to investigate and probe and shake the trees, a tip may work out. Think of your own special interest Jane and John Does. Get out there and shake a tree, ask questions. 39 years later, Etan may be coming home. If he comes home then others can too.

A little more information about the history of notable buildings and events around 127 Prince and the Patz apartment at 113-115 Prince street at this excellent local site NY SONGLINES

I have linked to the Prince Street section, you will need to scroll down to the Wooster cross-street to reach the block.

http://www.nysonglines.com/prince.htm

This is a great resource I use for local history, so do keep it in mind for NYC research.

This is quite interesting; NYT article, posted a few minutes ago:

The Science Behind the Search for the Boy on the Milk Carton
---
“There probably would still be bone,” Dr. Bader said. “The permanent teeth that we have, more so than baby teeth, last for decades. Longer than that. It’s easy to get DNA from teeth and long bones.”

Squint and look at those teeth from the milk carton. “The eruption of teeth in the human body is a relatively predictable process during the early years of growth,” according to “Practical Homicide Investigation.” “The loss of these baby teeth and the eruption of the first permanent molars begins at approximately 5 years of age.”

Etan was 6.

There could still be hair. “That definitely would provide DNA,” Dr. Baden said. Any blood spilled would have long decomposed, he said, but investigators will surely be looking for signs of insect activity.
---
more at link above

Is it possible that at 75, Mr. Miller is becoming senile and possibly blurting out things he knew to keep quiet about years earlier?

Is it possible that at 75, Mr. Miller is becoming senile and possibly blurting out things he knew to keep quiet about years earlier?

That's an excellent question. Maybe he has some sort of neurological condition that has deteriorated his "brain to mouth filter" (as I like to call it... like Sophia on Golden Girls)

Or perhaps he's otherwise ill and getting his house in order before he meets his maker.

This might present a minor problem with his prior alibi:

Investigators have also questioned a second person in connection with the re-examination of evidence. NBC New York has learned that on the morning Patz disappeared in 1979, that man was observed at the building where police are searching now, and also worked with a handyman who authorities are eyeing in the case.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...man-in-search-for-boy-who-disappeared-in-1979

This might present a minor problem with his prior alibi:

Investigators have also questioned a second person in connection with the re-examination of evidence. NBC New York has learned that on the morning Patz disappeared in 1979, that man was observed at the building where police are searching now, and also worked with a handyman who authorities are eyeing in the case.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...man-in-search-for-boy-who-disappeared-in-1979
That's a must-watch NBC News video. Great catch.

Snipped

Beneath photo by Fred W. McDarrah:

The building where investigators were preparing to search for Etan Patz's remains on Thursday used to be a restaurant, pictured in 1972.

Snipped

“It was back in the ’70s, and there was nothing in SoHo, really,” Ms. Reichler said. “There was one little restaurant called Food. Otherwise, there was nothing there except artists and their families.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/n...gation-soho-recalls-the-old-neighborhood.html

Wonder where Etan would be able to purchase his soda with the dollar he had that morning?

ETA: Photo (1972) shows that the restaurant on the street level of the building is "Food." Was it there in 1979?

A few things to add about the neighborhood in 1979 as I spent quite a bit of time there. A dear friend of mine was a co-owner of FOOD, the restaurant on the ground floor of 127 Prince which was a hub of neighborhood activity as it was one of the first and only places serving healthy food at the time. I had several friends who worked there over the years so I would eat lunch there quite a bit.

Snipped and BBM

Appears that Food was the restaurant on the ground floor of the building in 1979.

Is this where Etan would have been able to purchase "soda" with his dollar?

I cannot even imagine what Stan & Julie Patz are experiencing tonight...I had the honor of speaking with Mrs. Patz in 1985 when I was a college student putting together a fund raiser for Missing & Exploited Children. I still remember her calm demeanor (and I was nervous as hell because I expected to reach an answering machine) and how quickly she sent not only posters of Etan but posters of other missing children. My fervent hope is for peace for Etan's loved ones.

I looked at the maps last night before I went to bed. It is described sometimes in reports that Etan had to walk 2 blocks to the bus stop at the corner of Prince and W. Broadway. But in reality it was only 413 feet from his door. A little over the length of a football field IMHO (football field is about 360 feet). It was a straight shot from what I could tell. It only involved him crossing one intersection and that was the intersection of Prince and Wooster.

It was only 197 of those feet from his front door to the corner of Prince and Wooster where he was last seen by two eye witnesses. He wasn't seen for sure after that (even though a woman said she saw him 3 blocks away that was never a confirmed sighting of Etan that I can find).

Prince street, Wooster and if I'm looking at it correctly are one way streets. I don't know if they were zoned as such back when Etan went missing.

I'm leaning towards the opinion that someone who had contact prior with Etan is the one that took him. But that's JMHO. Etan is the reason we know now what we know about missing children.

Before Etan went missing there weren't national clearing houses for missing children. In fact, they probably weren't state clearing houses. Child Find wasn't established until 1980 or so. There was no uniform response to children going missing. It varied from town to town, city to city, state to state.

IMHO Etan and Adam Walsh helped to change the misperception that we had back before they both went missing that children were safe and secure (that it was better times) in reality it wasn't. Children did disappear and they were found murdered but it wasn't reported except locally. Back in 1982 we got the Missing Children Act.

(a link for those that are interested or don't know the history of it)

http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PageServlet?LanguageCountry=en_US&PageId=1615

The reason I remember all that is because by 1980 I was a Mom. It scared the jebus out of me for my new baby hearing about all these crimes against children and I changed my behavior as a Mom accordingly. If we don't know about a danger we can't take preventative measures. IMHO.

Just posting what I was thinking last night. :)

Newest NYT article, with what triggered the new investigation:
Investigators looking into the disappearance of Etan Patz began focusing recently on a handyman after a review of old case files showed that a concrete floor in a building in SoHo where he had a workshop — and that was on the route Etan took when he disappeared — had looked uneven or was not all the same color, a person briefed on the case said on Friday.

The explanation the handyman, Othniel Miller, gave shortly after Etan disappeared 33 years ago — that work had been done beneath the floor — led investigators to conduct a new round of interviews in recent weeks that led to the search and excavation of Mr. Miller’s old work space this week, the person said.
---
much more here: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/n...ince-street-basement-and-an-old-handyman.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CelionYerkash