Deceased/Not Found NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 #2 *P. Hernandez guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pedro H was calmly smiling on the feed I saw

Did not look remotely nuts to me (not today)

In my view, this case should have never gone to trial. This guy could have done it but I doubt. Black Dalia and JonBenet Ramsey should have gone to trial if we want to go by this sort of "evidence". Hopefully, someone with a brain will step in and call off another trial.

Holdout Juror:

his confession was bizarre

issues surrounding custody, Miranda rights and not videotaping all of confession

Mental health issues in this case

11: For Conviction

1: to exonerate

That is not necessarily an indicator. William Gardiner's jury was 11 to 1 to hang him in his first trial and 11 to 1 to acquit in the second proceeding. There was no third trial.

Another Juror speaking:

was strong corroborating evidence

Pedro identified that there had been No Door where he placed the body

Never was not guilty: were Unsures

Only facts Pedro could know

That Etan was headed to the bodega that morn with dollar

That Pedro was there, worked there

Another Juror: Series of confessions spread over period of years none of which were retracted; his psych probs were Johnny Come Lately

Unfortunately I am not surprised at the mistrial. I haven't followed the trial closely but I have followed the case. after all these years, no physical evidence, and the fact that they were focused on another suspect until just a few years ago makes it a hard case to sell. PH wasn't even on their radar until he confessed, and with a possibility of mental issues it just doesn't sit well with me.

Holdout Juror:

his confession was bizarre

issues surrounding custody, Miranda rights and not videotaping all of confession

Mental health issues in this case
His confession was "bizarre" because he is a freak child murderer - gmafb. [emoji35]

Another Juror: Series of confessions spread over period of years none of which were retracted; his psych probs were Johnny Come Lately
Exactly. Numerous confessions throughout the years count equally in my mind.

How many times did he need to confess anyway? Ridiculous

The jury did an outstanding job, IMO. I do hope they retry the case.

The jurors met at the TriBeCa Grand Hotel late Friday. They hugged and said their goodbyes – but Sirois was not there, and CBS2 is told he was not even invited.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/05/08/etan-patz-murder-trial-pedro-hernandez/

Unfortunately I am not surprised at the mistrial. I haven't followed the trial closely but I have followed the case. after all these years, no physical evidence, and the fact that they were focused on another suspect until just a few years ago makes it a hard case to sell. PH wasn't even on their radar until he confessed, and with a possibility of mental issues it just doesn't sit well with me.

Agreed, an uncorroborated confession from a man with mental health issues wouldn't get me to vote guilty either. Unless the prosecution find new evidence I don't think they should go for a retrial.

Since this forum is pretty active right now I'll ask, For those of who can remember, how well-known or publicized was this case in '79? How often did you hear about it on the media? Did the average American (outside of NYC area) know about it? Was it as well known as Caylee Anthony or Elizabeth Smart? Was it a comparable media circus? I know it was '79 but I have no doubt there was a huge circus over John Lennon or Ronald Reagan being shot, which happened around the same time. Of course there was no cable news back then, so you just had newspapers, magazines, the evening news, and radio...how often was it mentioned in those outlets? Or would you say the case has become "bigger" over time?

Since this forum is pretty active right now I'll ask, For those of who can remember, how well-known or publicized was this case in '79? How often did you hear about it on the media? Did the average American (outside of NYC area) know about it? Was it as well known as Caylee Anthony or Elizabeth Smart? Was it a comparable media circus? I know it was '79 but I have no doubt there was a huge circus over John Lennon or Ronald Reagan being shot, which happened around the same time. Of course there was no cable news back then, so you just had newspapers, magazines, the evening news, and radio...how often was it mentioned in those outlets? Or would you say the case has become "bigger" over time?
Good questions, Eileen. I'm from SW Ohio and had just completed my first year of college in 1979. I remember children being featured on milk cartons long ago, but was not familiar with the name Etan Patz nor his picture until a few months ago. I remember well the murder of John Lennon and the death of Elvis. I was still in college and remember getting word that President Reagan had been shot while working at the university library.

Hey, I even remember hearing about the Boston strangler. That was before I started elementary school, and it scared me so I had nightmares about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant