NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

Erik Uebelacker
@Uebey
Trump's team wants to dismiss a juror because of some "extremely hostile Facebook posts" from the day of the 2020 election.One of them is apparently a video of a party."It's clear from the video that it's a celebration of the results of the election," Trump's lawyer says.

Whoa. Judge Merchan just kinda blew up on Trump, who he said was trying to intimidate a juror by muttering and gesturing at the juror who posted the Facebook video."I will not have any jurors intimidated in this courtroom. I want to make that crystal clear."

Per Judge Merchan, this female juror was about 12 feet away from Trump when he said something to her

2:27 PM · Apr 16, 2024

BREAKING: Judge Mechan seems to imply that President Trump may have tried to intimidate a juror in the courtroom just now.Judge Merchan: "Mr. Blanche while the juror was at the podium about 12 feet from your client, your client was audibly muttering something. I don't know exactly what he was uttering. It was audible and he was gesturing and it was in the direction of the juror. I wont tolerate that. I will not have any jurors intimidated in this courtroom. I want to make that crystal clear. Take a minute to speak with your client."

Trump lawyer Todd Blanche asked a third juror about a social media post that her husband shared, including an anti-Trump video and a photo of Trump from 2015.

The judge allowed the juror to stay.

Judge Merchan read a post from this juror’s husband, and one of the posts contained a side-by-side photo of Trump and Obama on March 23, 2016.

“I don’t think this is what they meant, that orange is the new black," Merchan read from the post. Trump looked straight ahead and didn’t appear to have much of a reaction.

The judge then said that they're not going to go through the trial process like this and told Blanche that all that needs to be asked is if the issue at hand would affect their ability to be fair and impartial.

“If this is the worst thing that her husband posted this humor, albeit not very good humor from eight years ago," Merchan said.

@TylerMcBrien

Our count so far, according to Merchan:Seat 4 becomes Juror 1 and foreperson. Seat 9 becomes Juror 2. Seat 12 becomes Juror 3.

Back to Blanche, challenging Seat 16 for cause. Sheets have been distributed, and Merchan, with apologies again for these attempts at humor, describes a caption: "Trump invites the Thai boys to the White House, and the boys request to return to their cave."

These posts are 6+ years ago, and Blanche gets ahead of Merchan's question by saying that some of the evidence in the trial will be from around then as well.

Steinglass: "Nothing strikes me here as anything other than humor." Juror B128, the retired MTA worker, is now brought in for follow up questions.

Good thing she's not on trial, becaus a jury of New Yorkers would likely be biased against her for subway delays. (Now it's my turn to apologize for the poor attempts at humor.

She's back, and Blanche is showing her the posts, reiterating that they're "several years old." She confirmss it's her page but does not remember posting it. She says there's very little political content on her page these days because it got too vitriolic.

BREAKING: Judge Mechan seems to imply that President Trump may have tried to intimidate a juror in the courtroom just now.Judge Merchan: "Mr. Blanche while the juror was at the podium about 12 feet from your client, your client was audibly muttering something. I don't know exactly what he was uttering. It was audible and he was gesturing and it was in the direction of the juror. I wont tolerate that. I will not have any jurors intimidated in this courtroom. I want to make that crystal clear. Take a minute to speak with your client."
His Honor isn't going to tolerate any foolishness. One would think that a former POTUS would know proper court room decorum, and if they didn't, their attorneys should explain it to them.
Of course, this would only work if the defendant actually cared about decorum and such.
IMO.

His Honor isn't going to tolerate any foolishness. One would think that a former POTUS would know proper court room decorum, and if they didn't, their attorneys should explain it to them.
Of course, this would only work if the defendant actually cared about decorum and such.
IMO.
DJT has been a shameless buffoon his whole life, the fact that he became POTUS isn't going to change that.

Six jurors have already been seated on the jury. Donald Trump's team has used six of his 10 preemptive challenges. The district attorney's office has used four of its 10 challenges.

I looked up the Sandoval hearing... looks like it has two meanings - or I am not reading it correctly! LOL!
per quote above:
Judge Merchan announces that the Sandoval hearing will take place on Friday now.

About a Sandoval hearing: During a Sandoval hearing, a judge is asked whether previous bad acts can be brought up & the judge is expected to weigh the probative value versus prejudicial effect of doing so.

A Sandoval hearing is designed to let the accused make an informed choice whether he should take the stand prior to testifying by providing a pretrial determination of the permissible scope of cross-examination of the accused (People v Sandoval, 34 NY2d 371).

Is this the contempt charges hearing that the DA wants imposed - that was supposed to be on 4/23/24? If anyone knows!

There will be a Sandoval hearing this morning​

Judge Juan Merchan will have a Sandoval hearing today at 9:30 a.m. ET.
About a Sandoval hearing: During a Sandoval hearing, a judge is asked whether previous bad acts can be brought up and the judge is expected to weigh the probative value versus prejudicial effect of doing so, according to CNN legal analyst Karen Friedman Agnifilo

@lawofruby

What is especially interesting about this Sandoval hearing is the defense’s contention, in a March 19 letter, that the DA intends to ask Trump about “thirteen different court determinations, as well as about most of the underlying facts leading to those determinations.”

@Niner

Attachments

• IMG_1937.jpeg
    IMG_1937.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I looked up the Sandoval hearing... looks like it has two meanings - or I am not reading it correctly! LOL!
per quote above:
Judge Merchan announces that the Sandoval hearing will take place on Friday now.

About a Sandoval hearing: During a Sandoval hearing, a judge is asked whether previous bad acts can be brought up & the judge is expected to weigh the probative value versus prejudicial effect of doing so.

A Sandoval hearing is designed to let the accused make an informed choice whether he should take the stand prior to testifying by providing a pretrial determination of the permissible scope of cross-examination of the accused (People v Sandoval, 34 NY2d 371).

Is this the contempt charges hearing that the DA wants imposed - that was supposed to be on 4/23/24? If anyone knows!

Sandoval hearing is different from the contempt hearing.

Prosecutors want judge to fine Trump $3K, hold him in ‘contempt of court’ for alleged breaches of gag order​

Prosecutors want Merchan to fine Trump $3,000 for three alleged gag order breaches — and warn the ex-president that he could face up to 30 days in jail if he flouts the court order again, Tuesday’s court filing says.

Trump’s lawyers are expected to file their own court papers and Merchan has scheduled a hearing on the issue for next Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

Trump lawyers expect to have a common preliminary hearing before jury selection begins​

Donald Trump's lawyers expect to have a Sandoval hearing today before jury selection gets underway in the hush money trial, a source familiar with the plans tells CNN.
A Sandoval hearing is a common preliminary proceeding that reviews a defendant's criminal history and looks at how much prosecutors can ask if a defendant testifies.

Trump attempting to intimidate a juror? gasp!!!!! shock!!!

There will be a Sandoval hearing this morning​

Judge Juan Merchan will have a Sandoval hearing today at 9:30 a.m. ET.
About a Sandoval hearing: During a Sandoval hearing, a judge is asked whether previous bad acts can be brought up and the judge is expected to weigh the probative value versus prejudicial effect of doing so, according to CNN legal analyst Karen Friedman Agnifilo

@lawofruby

What is especially interesting about this Sandoval hearing is the defense’s contention, in a March 19 letter, that the DA intends to ask Trump about “thirteen different court determinations, as well as about most of the underlying facts leading to those determinations.”

@Niner

So - no jury selection today - just this Sandoval hearing - correct? :D
Sandoval hearing is different from the contempt hearing.

Prosecutors want judge to fine Trump $3K, hold him in ‘contempt of court’ for alleged breaches of gag order​

Prosecutors want Merchan to fine Trump $3,000 for three alleged gag order breaches — and warn the ex-president that he could face up to 30 days in jail if he flouts the court order again, Tuesday’s court filing says.

Trump’s lawyers are expected to file their own court papers and Merchan has scheduled a hearing on the issue for next Tuesday at 9:30 a.m.

Trump lawyers expect to have a common preliminary hearing before jury selection begins​

Donald Trump's lawyers expect to have a Sandoval hearing today before jury selection gets underway in the hush money trial, a source familiar with the plans tells CNN.
A Sandoval hearing is a common preliminary proceeding that reviews a defendant's criminal history and looks at how much prosecutors can ask if a defendant testifies.

Thank you - so many hearings on this case - it is hard to keep up! I shall keep the contempt hearing on 4/23. Again Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johlar12
Back