NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

OK, I simply HAVE to find a way to understand this. And asking people in this forum might be my only chance to do so.

Why is Donald Trump such a big deal that someone chose to set themselves on fire outside a courthouse where he is due to go on trial?

I think of the most polarising political figures I can think of in my country (and only ones non-britons might have actually heard of): Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage (on the right) or Jeremy Corbyn and George Galloway (on the left). No matter how much vitriol there is towards any of the aforementioned political figures there is in our media or general political discourse, I guarantee no-one is going to set fire to themselves because of them!

Why is Trump either so hated. or loved? Can't you just... vote for someone else? Or endorse your candidate in a healthy way that doesn't end up with dead people in the capitol building on January 6th? What is it about this man that drives so many people mad in so many different ways?!

MAKE AMERICA SANE AGAIN!

JMO IMO and all of that
I think the answer to your very first question is simply because this man was mentally ill.

Court is done for the day. We are set to return Monday morning, when we'll hear opening statements. Since court will end at 2 p.m. that day for Passover, it's unclear if we'll get to a witness.

Wondering if it has been mentioned yet - on a time limit for opening statements? Anyone see anything like that? TIA! :)

Wondering if it has been mentioned yet - on a time limit for opening statements? Anyone see anything like that? TIA! :)

I haven't seen anything about that yet. But this NY Times article says that Justice Merchan stated that he will rule on the matters discussed in Friday's Sandover hearing on Monday .... presumably before opening arguments commence.

It seems that this ruling may affect whether or not trump takes the stand. If he wants to open himself up to questioning about whatever is deemed admissible.

Despite the failure of repeated previous attempts to delay the trial, a Trump attorney was in an appeals court hours after the jury was seated, arguing that Merchan rushed through jury selection and that Trump cannot get a fair trial in Manhattan.
“To think an impartial jury could be found in that period of time, I would respectfully submit, is untenable,” attorney Clifford Robert said.
Justice Marsha Michael denied the request just minutes after a brief hearing.

Back in the trial court, Merchan expressed frustration as Trump’s lawyers pressed to revisit a litany of pretrial rulings.
“At some point, you need to accept the court’s rulings,” Merchan said. “There’s nothing else to clarify. There’s nothing else to reargue. We’re going to have opening statements on Monday morning. This trial is starting.”

“This Trial is a Long, Rigged, Endurance Contest, dealing with Nasty, Crooked People, who want to DESTROY OUR COUNTRY,” he [trump] wrote Friday on social media.

Trump hush money trial: Opening statements set for Monday | AP News
Final jurors seated for Trump's hush money case, with opening statements set for Monday

I haven't seen anything about that yet. But this NY Times article says that Justice Merchan stated that he will rule on the matters discussed in Friday's Sandover hearing on Monday .... presumably before opening arguments commence.

It seems that this ruling may affect whether or not trump takes the stand. If he wants to open himself up to questioning about whatever is deemed admissible.

Ok - thanks! And yes, I saw that the Judge will make his ruling from the Sandoval hearing on Monday.

edited to add - does it start at 9:30am like jury selection started? If anyone knows!

Forgot I can access the court site!
:rolleyes:

Next Appearance

Date: April 22, 2024
Time: 09:00 AM
Court:New York Supreme Criminal Court
100 Centre Street
Judge:Merchan, Juan M.
Part:59

link: Case Details - Summary

I'm obviously not following. But why are the BBC making a huge issue of the fact the jurors are all "highly educated". Doesn't sound like a "fair trial" to me. Won't this cause problems later as the average American was not on rhe jury?

I think Trump should get a,supply of Depends for this trial. He has done everything to delay
It, but the day of reckoning is upon him- no doubt the first time in his life he is being
called to account criminally for his actions and he is abso!utely and totally freaking out.
I am still not ruling out a "medical. Emergency" to occur to Trump before the trial actually
Starts. I am sure he never saw this day coming.

I'm obviously not following. But why are the BBC making a huge issue of the fact the jurors are all "highly educated". Doesn't sound like a "fair trial" to me. Won't this cause problems later as the average American was not on rhe jury?
The BBC are as biased against Trump as any liberal-leaning MSM outlet in America. Which is ludicrous considering they're a UK taxpayer-funded public service broadcaster in a country that Trump is not even the President of!

I remember their coverage of the 2022 midterm elections and instead of discussing the various results all their presenters did throughout the entire hours-long broadcast was bang on about Trump's "false" and "debunked" claims that the 2020 election was "stolen." It was insufferable!

The prosecution AND the defense chose the jury. It is a jury of trump's peers. They are all NYers.

imo

Why is Donald Trump such a big deal that someone chose to set themselves on fire outside a courthouse where he is due to go on trial?
I don't think it was necessarily  because of Trump.

He was looking for a way to get people to listen to him and read his website.
Setting himself on fire outside of the building where a massive news story is taking place would draw the attention he was seeking

Trump has bragged that he is a "stable genius" and attended Fordham and the Univ of Pennsylvania. They are also New Yorkers, as he is. So highly educated, just like Trump's degrees say he is. None of them apparently have the wealth he claims, but how many average Americans do, or pretend they do? Sound very fair, to me.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back