NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
NY Courts will release daily transcripts of Donald Trump's criminal trial.

This is a truly remarkable development. Court stenographers control their work and charge varying rates. The transcript is never dropped into the case file.It can be *$6.50 per page* a day for these "daily" transcripts. A day can be 200 pages = $1,300 a day.

To clarify, a transcript *may* end up in a criminal paper case file in NY state courts but it never is automatically added as a part of the record.

Last edited:
Personally, I find the fact that not one family member of Trump, has shown up to support him at his many functions, and his wife is also conspicuously absent at this trial. She doesn't even have a job! So, no excuse there.

She could easily fly there for at least one day of the trial. I just think that her presence, would be important.

Personally, I find the fact that not one family member of Trump, has shown up to support him at his many functions, and his wife is also conspicuously absent at this trial. She doesn't even have a job! So, no excuse there.

She could easily fly there for at least one day of the trial. I just think that her presence, would be important.
She's busy selling jewelry.

But this is exactly why we never want professional jurors. Can you imagine if the government in power were the ones to provide the training? There would never be a way to judge the law itself.

We need jurors from the general population because they judge not only the accused, but also the law. At some point, they might let an accused go, not because the person is innocent, but because the law is wrong. We need that to come from ordinary people or the law would be completely contained within a powerful group which has no accountability other than itself.

I don't think that worrying about a rouge juror is a big concern in Trump's trial. The jury system has been around for a long time and jurors are pretty good at taking their role seriously, focusing on the evidence, and setting aside any emotional baggage that they may bring with them. A good judge will help them focus on their task. There is a significant, 45 page screening process before they ever get to be selected. Someone who is lying in order to be selected will surely be tossed aside by both the prosecution and the defence because neither side will know why they are lying.

When jurors are simply asked if they can make an impartial decision free of bias or prejudice, then the prospective juror would have to be a pathological liar for them to be accepted by both sides if the juror had a strong ulterior motive.

I have faith in the jury system. It's not perfect, but it is very good and absolutely essential for the protection of our democratic society.
Late to reply but thank you for this thoughtful response! You did not win me over but I do really appreciate you taking the time to respond. IMO it is a nuanced issue with so much more than can be typed here in a post. (And really, IMO, Trump will benefit from jury selection like we have in our system now in this case. I just jumped at the chance to get on my soapbox and dream lol...)

Melania probably knows that Trump cheated on her with Stormy Daniels and doesn’t want to sit thru the details. IMO

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> Oh, I'm certain that they're watching this trial, just like they'll watch the others. They all have a vested interest in the outcomes. But, it appears that they choose not to come support him in person for whatever reasons. I'm sure it's difficult to figure out which trial to attend when there are so many to choose from, due to logistics and such.
IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Washington Post has given "key highlights" from the opening statements.

(paraphrased)
DA Matthew Colangelo says that trump paid Daniels on the eve of the election, to keep news of the affair away from voters. The payment should have been counted as a campaign expense because it benefitted trump's run for office. The DA says that it was election fraud.

Attorney Todd Blanche said that trump had a complete lack of knowledge or intent.

That's it for the highlights.

The article also says that they have sectioned off a piece of hallway for trump to do his daily talk to reporters. Microphones and cameras are set up there, and just a small pool of reporters rotate in that space, due to security concerns.

The Washington Post has given "key highlights" from the opening statements.

(paraphrased)
DA Matthew Colangelo says that trump paid Daniels on the eve of the election, to keep news of the affair away from voters. The payment should have been counted as a campaign expense because it benefitted trump's run for office. The DA says that it was election fraud.

Attorney Todd Blanche said that trump had a complete lack of knowledge or intent.

That's it for the highlights.

The article also says that they have sectioned off a piece of hallway for trump to do his daily talk to reporters. Microphones and cameras are set up there, and just a small pool of reporters rotate in that space, due to security concerns.

I so wish that this trial was streaming. Journalists are doing a good job of updating so far, though. IMO.

Funny how he's always awake enough for his spiel to the cameras after the trial ends for the day.

I'm beginning to think the old man with closed eyes is for the juries benefit

Last edited:
@kaitlancollins
Trump comments on the jury in a new interview, saying, “That jury was picked so fast. 95% Democrats…You think of it as a purely Democrat area. It's a very unfair situation that I can tell you.” Our experts say that’s another violation of the gag order:

@MaddowBlog

"You have Donald Trump clearly goading the judge."
@AWeissmann_ talks with Rachel Maddow about how Judge Merchan should deal with Donald Trump testing the limits of the gag order in his criminal trial by criticizing the jurors

Last edited:
I read that the jurors should be in about 11am - Contempt hearing at 9:30am.

Tuesday, April 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9:30am ET & will end at 2pm ET) – NY - *Donald John Trump (76/now 77) was indicted (3/30/23), formally arrested, charged & arraigned (4/4/23) with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the 1st degree & conspiracy in connection with hush money payments to two women [Stephanie Clifford aka adult actor Stormy Daniels & former Playboy model Karen McDougal] before the 2016 presidential election. Plead not guilty. Warrant vacated, released on own recognizance. New York County
New York: Submitting false invoices or checks. All 34 counts against Trump are felony charges (class E) instead of misdemeanors.
Trial began on 4/15/24 with jury selection & ended on 4/19/24. Trial expected to run 4 days a week. Jury Selection Day 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24).
Jurors selected: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [Jurors: 7 men & 5 women/6 Alternates: 5 women & 1 man].
Trial began on 4/22/24. Trial is expected to run 4 days a week [Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays].
New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Marchan presiding. Manhattan Attorney General Alvin Bragg. Prosecutors are Susan Hoffinger, Joshua Steinglass & Matthew Colangelo. Defense attorneys Todd Blanche, Emil Bove, Susan Necheles & Gedalia Stern.

Investigation & court info from 3/30/23 thru 4/12/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24) reference post #783 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-2.673176/page-40

4/22/24 Monday, Trial Day 1: *Before the Sandoval hearing Judge Merchan affirmed his earlier ruling allowing prosecutors to show jurors a transcript of the "Access Hollywood" tape. Trump's lawyers fought to leave that out, after succeeding in preventing the admission of the actual footage.
*Judge Merchan announces his ruling from the bench on the People's Sandoval Notice: If Trump takes the stand the people can inquire about the following six determinations, in four separate proceedings:-Feb 16, 2024 he violated the law by fraudulently misstating the value of his assets; Oct 28, 2022 he failed to remove an untrue personally identifying post about law clerk & was fined $5000; Oct 21, 2023 he intentionally violated court order by continually attacking court clerk & fine was $10,000; Carroll v Trump the defendant defamed E. Jean Carroll by making false statements-Carroll v Trump II the defendant made false statements about Carroll with actual malice; NYAG v Trump Donald J. Trump Foundation engaged in repeated & willful self dealing transactions.
*Judge was informed the court that one juror was having cold feet. My understanding that the juror was concerned about the media attention and wasn’t 100 percent sure they wanted to be here today. The juror is here today I think we should speak to the juror. Because there’s a courtroom full of people, they will confer with the juror in the robing room. Juror no. 9 is going to remain with us, so that’s not going to be an issue.
*Judge gives jury instructions on the law. Judge Merchan said alternate juror 6 would be able to make an emergency dentist appointment at 3 p.m. for a toothache. But the appointment was moved up to 1:20 p.m., prompting the judge to tell her that the court would conclude at 12:30pm today.
*Opening statements by Manhattan DA Matthew Colangelo & Lead defense attorney Todd Blanche.
*State witness: David Pecker, the CEO of American Media Inc. (AMI), which publishes the National Enquirer. Prosecutor Joshua Steinglass on direct. Will return tomorrow.
For more info see posts #788 & 791 (articles) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-2.673176/page-40
Trial continues on Tuesday, 4/23/24 from 9:30am to 2pm. Wednesdays are DARK.

*Judge Merchan has outlined the next steps for prosecutors’ request to have Trump held in contempt over several social media posts (7 more) bout witnesses in the trial. The judge said he would have a Show for Cause hearing on the issue of contempt sanctions on Tuesday, 4/23/24 @ 9:30am & will end at 2pm. Trump’s attorneys have a 19 April deadline to submit a written response. Trump was served with this Order in court.

Contempt hearing: On Violations of Gag Order
--------
Merchan reviews the purpose of the hearing—whether we'll find Trump in contempt "for one or all of these alleged violations," Merchan says. "I believe it's the People's burden. I'll hear you."Conroy distributes documents to the bench.

Judge Juan Merchan said the purpose of the gag order hearing is to "find out whether the defendant Mr. Trump should be held in contempt for one or all of these violations.”

Prosecutor Christopher Conroy said he's going to present documents and social media posts from Trump that show that he violated the judge's gag order.

“Each of them violates the court’s April 1 order. That is a lawful order of this court," he said.

Conroy said that Trump violated the gag order again after the trial session yesterday when he spoke to cameras.

“Yesterday, here in this building, right outside those doors," he said. “The defendant violated the order again, on camera. He did it right here in the hallway outside.”

Conroy referenced how Trump railed against Michael Cohen and his lies in those remarks.

"The court should hold him in contempt for each of the ten posts," he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member