NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. And, in my opinion, they are much more capable of having a bias based on their political leanings. JMO.
Politics has no place in a courtroom. Many, many people cast a vote based on the character of the candidate and not necessarily on their "political leanings." A courtroom isn't a ballot box. I've been on a jury, and we took our oath seriously and followed the Judge's instructions.

Laws are laws and politicians are not allowed to break them. CEOs of major corporations have landed in prison because of falsifying business records.

JMO

Politics has no place in a courtroom. Many, many people cast a vote based on the character of the candidate and not necessarily on their "political leanings." A courtroom isn't a ballot box. I've been on a jury, and we took our oath seriously and followed the Judge's instructions.

Laws are laws and politicians are not allowed to break them. CEOs of major corporations have landed in prison because of falsifying business records.

JMO
I agree. If I was called for jury duty and was selected I most likely wouldn't know anything about the defendant and would have to base my decision on the evidence presented in court and nothing else.

In this case everyone knows the defendant and has an opinion on him whether they admit it or not. Totally different scenario. JMO.

JMO
An observation from a nosy foreigner:

The USA has the most politically motivated court system of anywhere else I can think of in the world.

Judges and prosecutors in the USA are either literally elected like politicians are, or they are nominated and approved by politicians. I can't think of anywhere else in the world where a huge chunk of the election debate centers around who the President will pick to be a Supreme Court Judge, and where the Supreme Court judges are all household names.

If you don't want your justice system to be political, don't let politics decide who gets to be judge!

JMO

An observation from a nosy foreigner:

The USA has the most politically motivated court system of anywhere else I can think of in the world.

Judges and prosecutors in the USA are either literally elected like politicians are, or they are nominated and approved by politicians. I can't think of anywhere else in the world where a huge chunk of the election debate centers around who the President will pick to be a Supreme Court Judge, and where the Supreme Court judges are all household names.

If you don't want your justice system to be political, don't let politics decide who gets to be judge!

JMO
It's not a simple process, often term limits are involved, and voters do have a voice. Our courtrooms are not "political" nor should they be.

JMO

I too feel the judge is very capable. I do wish he would be more decisive and heavy handed in enforcing the gag order but hey, he is the judge.
I think the Judge is acknowledging a famous old saying has merit in this case and the defendant is erasing all doubt.

“It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”

JMO

It's not a simple process, often term limits are involved, and voters do have a voice. Our courtrooms are not "political" nor should they be.

JMO
Judges in America: Politics has no place in a courtroom

Also, judges in America: Vote for me! Text [number] to Donate!

Apologies for using a fellow patronising British person to demonstrate:

I think it's kind of insulting to assume that a defendant can't get an impartial jury depending on where the trial takes place. I am no Trump fan, but I am 100% certain I could put my personal opinions aside and decide the case on the merits alone.

Weeding out people who couldn't do this is why there is a jury selection process that both sides have the opportunity to participate in.

I think it's kind of insulting to assume that a defendant can't get an impartial jury depending on where the trial takes place. I am no Trump fan, but I am 100% certain I could put my personal opinions aside and decide the case on the merits alone.

Weeding out people who couldn't do this is why there is a jury selection process that both sides have the opportunity to participate in.
I don't find it insulting in any way. Change of venue is a legitimate legal tactic.

Jury selection is not full proof. For either side. JMO.

BBM. I agree. Social media has certainly impacted the spread of biased, politically charged misinformation at lightening speed and if the defendant thinks insulting the jury and the Judge will benefit him, that's his choice.

A change of venue wouldn't make a whit of difference in this case.

JMO

BBM. I agree. Social media has certainly impacted the spread of biased, politically charged misinformation at lightening speed and if the defendant thinks insulting the jury and the Judge will benefit him, that's his choice.

A change of venue wouldn't make a whit of difference in this case.

JMO
Yes, and I cannot disagree. It is also unfortunate that the gag order is to some opinion not being properly applied to the defendant’s actions. IMO it is unfortunate that the order is not even stronger.

Also have to wonder if some other defendant after apparent repeated violations of the order wouldn’t be being held in jail while the trial is underway. MOO

Anthony Guglielmi, the spokesman for the Secret Service in Washington, declined in a statement to discuss specific “protective operations.” But he said that federal law requires Secret Service agents to protect former presidents, adding that they use state-of-the-art technology, intelligence and tactics to do so.

Thomas J. Mailey, a spokesman for New York State’s prison agency, said his department couldn’t speculate about how it would treat someone who has not yet been sentenced, but that it has a system “to assess and provide for individuals’ medical, mental health and security needs.”

The interview was conducted before he went back inside a Manhattan courtroom for his historic criminal trial.

The former president did not hold back in airing his grievances over one of the key witnesses in the case, Michael Cohen - despite a gag order that requires him not to.

"Michael Cohen is a convicted liar, and he's got no credibility whatsoever. He was a lawyer and you rely on your lawyers. But Michael Cohen was a convicted liar. He was a lawyer for many people, not just me. Then he got in trouble because of things outside of what he did for me," Trump said.

The gag order in effect bars Trump from publicly discussing witnesses, jurors or court employees and is meant to avoid any intentional intimidation.

First witness seems to say the catch and kill was primarily about the campaign. Not so much about Melania's feelings. imo

Mr. Pecker said he acted as the campaign’s “eyes and ears,” notifying Mr. Cohen about possible scandals, particularly regarding women in Mr. Trump’s life.
Mr. Pecker said that he called Mr. Trump “Donald,” and that they had “a great relationship”

Mr. Sajudin [the $30,000 paid-off doorman] was released from the confidentiality agreement in December 2016, a month after Mr. Trump won the election, which prosecutors say reveals the deal’s true objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gentlegirl