NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From your link.

When did DA Bragg begin his investigation?
DA Bragg didn't have to begin an investigation because it was well underway when he took office.

JMO

Prosecutors have been investigating Trump, the Trump Organization and its officers since at least 2018. The grand jury signals that they are ready to present evidence and potentially seek indictments.

Excerpt from Merchan's gag order ...

"The average observer must now, after hearing defendant's recent attacks, draw the conclusion that if they become involved in these proceedings, even tangentially, they should worry not only for themselves, but for their loved ones as well. Such concerns will undoubtedly interfere with the fair administration of justice and constitutes a direct attack on the rule of law itself."

Which is why the safety of the jury is so essential. I commend those who are willing to do their civic duty!

JMO

DA Bragg didn't have to begin an investigation because it was well underway when he took office.

JMO

Prosecutors have been investigating Trump, the Trump Organization and its officers since at least 2018. The grand jury signals that they are ready to present evidence and potentially seek indictments.
So you're talking about investigations that led to a previous DA and Feds declining to charge.
I can agree with that fact. JMO.

Which is why the safety of the jury is so essential. I commend those who are willing to do their civic duty!

JMO
That makes me wonder why Michael Cohen decided to stop talking publicly about this case. Has he been threatening the jury? No.

JMO.

That makes me wonder why Michael Cohen decided to stop talking publicly about this case. Has he been threatening the jury? No.

JMO.
Cohen is a possible witness but I doubt he will testify because I don't believe the prosecution needs his testimony. Cohen has no reason to threaten the jury. The defendant is the one doing the threatening and bullying. Apparently, he doesn't care what the jury thinks of him.

JMO

Cohen is a possible witness but I doubt he will testify because I don't believe the prosecution needs his testimony. Cohen has no reason to threaten the jury. The defendant is the one doing the threatening and bullying. Apparently, he doesn't care what the jury thinks of him.

JMO

Thanks for your reply.

I still find it interesting that Cohen has decided to stop posting on social media at this stage of the trial. JMO.

"The police have not turned away “thousands of people” from the courthouse during his trial; only a handful of Trump supporters have shown up to demonstrate near the building.

And while there are various security measures in place in the area, including some street closures enforced by police officers and barricades, it’s not true that “for blocks you can’t get near this courthouse.”

In reality, the designated protest zone for the trial is at a park directly across the street from the courthouse – and, in addition, people are permitted to drive right up to the front of the courthouse and walk into the building, which remains open to the public.

If people show up early enough in the morning, they can even get into the trial courtroom itself or the overflow room that shows near-live video of the proceedings."

"This was the largest audience to ever witness a trial, period, both in person and around the globe."

/snark

Last edited:
Thursday, April 25th:
*Trial continues (Day 3) (@ 9:30am ET) – NY - *Donald John Trump (76/now 77) was indicted (3/30/23), formally arrested, charged & arraigned (4/4/23) with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the 1st degree & conspiracy in connection with hush money payments to two women [Stephanie Clifford aka adult actor Stormy Daniels & former Playboy model Karen McDougal] before the 2016 presidential election. Plead not guilty. Warrant vacated, released on own recognizance. New York County
New York: Submitting false invoices or checks. All 34 counts against Trump are felony charges (class E) instead of misdemeanors.
Trial began on 4/15/24 with jury selection & ended on 4/19/24. Trial expected to run 4 days a week. Jury Selection Day 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24).
Jurors selected: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [Jurors: 7 men & 5 women/6 Alternates: 5 women & 1 man].
Trial began on 4/22/24. Trial is expected to run 4 days a week [Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays].
New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Marchan presiding. Manhattan Attorney General Alvin Bragg. Prosecutors are Susan Hoffinger, Joshua Steinglass & Matthew Colangelo. Defense attorneys Todd Blanche, Emil Bove, Susan Necheles & Gedalia Stern.
Trump is required to attend each day in person — although the judge could grant permission for special absences. Trump has vowed to attend court during the day & travel to campaign events at night.

Investigation & court info from 3/30/23 thru 4/12/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24) & Trial Day 1 (4/22/24) reference post #831 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-2.673176/page-42

4/23/24 Tuesday, Trial Day 2: *Judge Merchan-Contempt hearing on gag Order violations. Prosecutor Chris Conroy kicked things off for the state, submitting 10 of Trump's recent posts to the court. He said they each violated the order restricting Trump's comments on those involved in the case. Despite saying Trump crossed "crystal clear, unequivocal lines" in his posts, Conroy said prosecutors are not asking Merchan to jail Trump. "We are not yet seeking an incarcartory penalty, though the defendant seems to be angling for that," Conroy said. "Remind him that incarceration is an option, should this continue." Todd Blanche, Trump's defense attorney, is now addressing the court. He told the judge there was "no willful violation" of the gag order. "President Trump does in fact know what the gag order allows him to do & not allow him to do," he said. Blanche is arguing that Trump should be allowed to respond to what he believes are statements about politics, even if made by a witness. The judge indicated he would reserve judgment for now on whether to hold Trump in contempt.
*State witness: David Pecker, the CEO of American Media Inc. (AMI), which publishes the National Enquirer back on stand with questioning from prosecutor Joshua Steinglass. Will be back on stand on Thursday.
For more info see posts #844 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-2.673176/page-43
Trial continues on Thursday, 4/25/24. Wednesdays are DARK.

Prosecutor Christopher Conroy just brought up four instances from the last three days in which Trump allegedly violated the judge's gag order.

He said that he has another order to show cause to hold Trump in contempt of court for disobeying the order. Conroy referred to Trump's remarks outside the courtroom over the last few days as examples.

Well, I don't think the judge is going to issue gag orders to anyone without being asked to.
So either someone asked for a gag order and the judge denied the request or no one else asked for a gag order? I'm not certain that a judge cannot issue a gag order on their own.

Does anyone else know the answer to these questions?

So either someone asked for a gag order and the judge denied the request or no one else asked for a gag order? I'm not certain that a judge cannot issue a gag order on their own.

Does anyone else know the answer to these questions?

I think the judge can issue a gag order on their own. However, I don't think any judge is going to issue one without a good reason, and it's usually in response to a request from one side or the other.

JMO.

Makes sense that Michael Cohen decided to stop the social media posts about this case. It highlighted the disparity in how this judge issued a gag order for President Trump but not this witness. JMO.

Is anyone else subject to a gag order in this case?
Nobody else is included in the gag order. Nobody else has come close to crossing the line in this case IMO.
The judge's reasoning can be found here:

Prosecutor Christopher Conroy just brought up four instances from the last three days in which Trump allegedly violated the judge's gag order.

He said that he has another order to show cause to hold Trump in contempt of court for disobeying the order. Conroy referred to Trump's remarks outside the courtroom over the last few days as examples.

It seems to me that having the press standing outside the courtroom door, waiting for a speech from T. is part of the problem. Perhaps the press could be moved to another location.

Judge Juan Merchan said he signed the order to show cause regarding four new violations of a gag order for former President Donald Trump.
He signed the order to show cause from the district attorney for the first 10 violations, too.
This means he will hear the additional four violations they have now added. He hasn't made a decision yet or held Trump in contempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675