NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #3

Friday, May 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 11) (@ 9am ET) – NY - *Donald John Trump (76/now 77) was indicted (3/30/23), formally arrested, charged & arraigned (4/4/23) with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the 1st degree & conspiracy in connection with hush money payments to two women [Stephanie Clifford aka adult actor Stormy Daniels & former Playboy model Karen McDougal] before the 2016 presidential election. Plead not guilty. Warrant vacated, released on own recognizance. New York County
New York: Submitting false invoices or checks. All 34 counts against Trump are felony charges (class E) instead of misdemeanors.
Trial began on 4/15/24 with jury selection & ended on 4/19/24. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [Jurors: 7 men & 5 women/6 Alternates: 5 women & 1 man].
Trial began on 4/22/24. Trial is expected to run 4 days a week [Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays].
New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Marchan presiding. Manhattan Attorney General Alvin Bragg. Prosecutors are Susan Hoffinger, Joshua Steinglass & Matthew Colangelo. Defense attorneys Todd Blanche, Emil Bove, Susan Necheles & Gedalia Stern.
Trump is required to attend each day in person — although the judge could grant permission for special absences. Trump has vowed to attend court during the day & travel to campaign events at night.

Investigation & court info from 3/30/23 thru 4/12/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24) & Trial Day 1-9 (4/22-5/7/24) reference post #121 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ds-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-3.711716/page-7

5/9/24 Thursday, Trial Day 10: *State witnesses: Stephanie Clifford, who goes by the name Stormy Daniels back on stand for cross exam. Rebecca Manochio, Allen Weisselberg's assistant at the Trump Organization.
*Just before lunch, Trump's lawyer Todd Blanche told Justice Merchan he would be filing again for a mistrial. "We'll take this matter & others up later this afternoon", the judge replied.
*State witnesses continued: Tracey Menzies [works at HarperCollins Book Publishing & is testifying as the Custodian of Records for HarperCollins]. Madeleine Westerhout [Executive assistant & Trump’s personal Oval Office gatekeeper]. Will continue tomorrow on stand.
For more info see post #125 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ds-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-3.711716/page-7

*Jury sent home at about 4pm & Judge & lawyers discussed legal motions. Defense attorneys once again tried to get Judge Juan Merchan to declare a mistrial on Thursday. He let the jury go a half-hour early so he could hear their arguments – and then rejected them, denying their motion for a mistrial. Blanche argued that Daniels had basically blown “a dog whistle for rape” in her description of her sexual encounter with Trump. Merchan said that he couldn’t figure out “for the life of me” why Trump’s attorney didn’t object to a question about whether Trump used a condom in the encounter, putting the onus on the defense for letting some of the more lurid details get into the testimony & arguing the story was fair game since they’d argued in their opening statements that Trump hadn’t had sex with Daniels. Merchan also refused to grant Trump’s lawyer’s request for the gag order to be lifted so Trump could respond to Daniels & push back on her testimony. Blanche is asking Judge Merchan to let Trump respond to Stormy Daniels & her testimony in court. "She's no longer a witness," he argues. The judge says no, he won't modify the gag order, citing how witnesses who have not testified will see how witnesses who have testified have been treated afterward. "Your client's track record speaks for itself." Karen McDougal, who said she had a sexual encounter with Trump, will no longer be called by prosecutors to testify,
Trial continues on Friday, 5/10/24,

Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joshua Steinglass said prosecutors plan to call two witnesses next week — and that their case could possibly rest by the end of the week.

“We expect to call eventually two witnesses and I think it’s entirely possible that we will rest by the end of next week," Steinglass said.

Michael Cohen is expected to be the first witness Monday.

Wow. Is that going to be it? Is Michael Cohen the star witness? The person that has previously lied under oath.

Last edited:
Donald Trump is talking to reporters in the court hallway after trial just ended for the day.

He again blasted the gag order that prevents him from publicly speaking about witnesses or jury members, saying the judge wants to throw him in jail if he says one word out of line.

"That could happen one day," Trump said. "And I'd be very proud to go to jail for our Constitution."

Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Joshua Steinglass said prosecutors plan to call two witnesses next week — and that their case could possibly rest by the end of the week.

“We expect to call eventually two witnesses and I think it’s entirely possible that we will rest by the end of next week," Steinglass said.

Michael Cohen is expected to be the first witness Monday.

Wow. Is that going to be it? Is Michael Cohen the star witness? The person that has previously lied under oath.
Cohen at least admitted he lied under oath and I'm sure the jury will be told that he served prison time. Trump still denies he had sex with Stormy Daniels which is laughably absurd considering he paid her "hush money."

JMO

Cohen at least admitted he lied under oath and I'm sure the jury will be told that he served prison time. Trump still denies he had sex with Stormy Daniels which is laughably absurd considering he paid her "hush money."

JMO
I didn’t hear anything that I haven’t heard before. imo I guess I was waiting for a bombshell. Maybe that will happen.

It’s no wonder the feds didn’t want to touch this with a ten foot pole. imo

Anyone feel free to correct me as IANAL and could well be wrong, but IIUC an advantage of state-filed and prosecuted charges is that they would not be pardonable under federal authority. For example, a President would not be able to pardon for a state obtained conviction. MOO

I didn’t hear anything that I haven’t heard before. imo I guess I was waiting for a bombshell. Maybe that will happen.

Bill Barr might have had something to do with that.

Berman described a tenure under Attorney Generals Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr and acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker rife with politics and constant interference, pressuring him to remove references to Individual-1, aka Donald Trump, in the case against Michael Cohen, the president's former lawyer.

"On the eve of Cohen's guilty plea, main Justice tried to get our office to remove any reference to Individual-1, who was President Trump. They were unsuccessful in that venture. And they were unsuccessful in every attempt to politically interfere with our office. We held the line in every instance," Berman told ABC's "Good Morning America."

The Feds have their hands full with Trump's other prosecutions.

I think the jury was riveted by the exchange between Trump's attorney and SD. I heard a reporter say the jurors heads were watching the heated back and forth as though they were watching a tennis match. Stormy had no reason to lie about a sexual encounter that she made very clear she did not want and did not enjoy.

JMO

Bill Barr might have had something to do with that.

Berman described a tenure under Attorney Generals Jeff Sessions and Bill Barr and acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker rife with politics and constant interference, pressuring him to remove references to Individual-1, aka Donald Trump, in the case against Michael Cohen, the president's former lawyer.

"On the eve of Cohen's guilty plea, main Justice tried to get our office to remove any reference to Individual-1, who was President Trump. They were unsuccessful in that venture. And they were unsuccessful in every attempt to politically interfere with our office. We held the line in every instance," Berman told ABC's "Good Morning America."

Then there's Merrick Garland. Why didn't he prosecute this case?

There is rising anger towards Attorney General Merrick Garland over what critics feel is an ongoing failure to bring former President Donald Trump to justice.

That's a fair question. I don't know the answer.
Between our two posts there's mention of two different AG's from two different administrations that didn't prosecute.

In my opinion it's because they didn't find evidence of a crime that would result in a conviction. JMO.

Anyone have an opinion as to why Karen McDougal not being called to testify?
In my opinion she's not being used by the prosecution because of how poorly Stormy did. And like Stormy she doesn't have any knowledge about the business records that are the heart of this case. JMO.

So it tells us he felt that he would be convicted of tax evasion, bank fraud, that were unrelated to President Trump, and the campaign violation so he did a plea deal. He ended up only serving a very small amount of time behind bars.

President Donald Trump’s longtime personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, admitted guilt on eight counts of financial crimes in federal court Tuesday.

Cohen was sentenced to prison in December 2018 after pleading guilty to campaign finance charges and lying to Congress, among other crimes. In all, he spent about 13 1/2 months behind prison walls and a year and a half in home confinement. His time was further reduced through good behavior.

Anyone have an opinion as to why Karen McDougal not being called to testify?

Probably because Stormy's testimony was strong, and they don't want to allow too much salacious testimony in the trial if it is unnecessary. imo

Apparently Karen was on the witness list, but the prosecution did not indicate that they were definitely going to call her to the stand.

“We had her on the witness list… we had never affirmatively indicated we were going to call her,” said prosecutor Joshua Steinglass.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kch52285
Back