GUILTY NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to prove it and from what I’ve seen they have not.

We should hear from the FEC in the courtroom. Weird. imo

The FEC would not be able to speak directly to the case because they are not a witness, but in another setting, the FEC can argue whether or not the election laws should even exist. I expect that the election laws have been put in place to protect the nation from electing an individual based on false information. But time moves on and we quickly forget why those laws are necessary and worth protecting.

I am not sure I would have brought this case with Michael Cohen
As my star witness---He admitted to stealing from the Trump
Organization---and there is so much more that makes his testimony
So questionable---

Michael Cohen lied to congress continuously in 2019--ALL to protect trump, his beloved boss

Michael Cohen went to jail because of it.
Donald Trump has lied his entire life
He is, currently free as a bird.
Theam has screwed millions
And squirrels millions

Now, there may be a lie of sixty thousand bucks .
Doesn't anyone else see the crazy righteousness over the total hypocrisy?

No, because it’s not true.

Actually:

20 witnessess and over 200 pieces of evidence from the prosecution.

What’s shocking is that anyone thinks that an entrenched career crook with decades of offences and all the money to pay off and destroy others isn’t going to work with his fellow crooks to make sure their deeds are well hidden.

All imo
I read the link and I don't see anything about violating campaign laws. JMO.

What happened inside the courtroom when the press was kicked out as Judge Merchan admonished Robert Costello:Judge Merchan: "Sir, your conduct is contemptuous right now. I'm putting you on notice that your conduct is contemptuous. If you try to stare me down one more time, I will remove you from the stand. I will strike his entire testimony; do you understand me?"MR. BOVE: "Yes, Judge. I understand."When Costello asked if he could say something, Merchan said: "No. No. This is not a conversation."

This trial isn't about campaign finance. Trump is accused of violating New York State law by allegedly agreeing to obscure a series of reimbursements to his former lawyer and fixer, Michael Cohen, who is the key witness against Trump in the case. He was indicted on 34 counts of falsifying business records in the first degree.

It's possible that the underlying crime which elevated the misdemeanors to felonies is alleged to be a campaign violation.

This is one strange case for sure. JMO.

In New York, the bare-bones crime of falsifying business records is a misdemeanor. But it becomes a felony if the defendant falsified the records with the intent of furthering a separate underlying crime. Prosecutors have charged Trump with felony-level falsifying business records and have three theories to show a separate underlying crime. The first two theories argue that the Daniels payoff constituted an illegal contribution to Trump’s campaign in violation of federal and state election law, respectively.

Michael Cohen lied to congress continuously in 2019--ALL to protect trump, his beloved boss

Michael Cohen went to jail because of it.
Donald Trump has lied his entire life
He is, currently free as a bird.
Theam has screwed millions
And squirrels millions

Now, there may be a lie of sixty thousand bucks .
Doesn't anyone else see the crazy righteousness over the total hypocrisy?
I agree with everything you say, but I am looking at the case
From a juror's point of view in evaluating Mr Cohen's testimony

An attorney who once represented Michael Cohen testified Monday that Donald Trump’s fixer-turned-foe had told him the ex-president “knew nothing” about the hush money payment to *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels — moments before irking the judge by rolling his eyes and muttering on the stand.

Robert “Bob” Costello, the second witness called by Trump’s lawyers at his Manhattan criminal trial, contradicted previous testimony by Cohen that the real estate mogul was aware of the deal to pay Daniels $130,000 to silence her story about having a tryst with him.

“Michael Cohen said numerous times that President Trump knew nothing about those payments, that he did this on his own, and he repeated that numerous times,
” claimed Costello, a Trump ally who last week bashed the prosecution’s case in front of Congress.

An attorney who once represented Michael Cohen testified Monday that Donald Trump’s fixer-turned-foe had told him the ex-president “knew nothing” about the hush money payment to *advertiser censored* star Stormy Daniels — moments before irking the judge by rolling his eyes and muttering on the stand.

Robert “Bob” Costello, the second witness called by Trump’s lawyers at his Manhattan criminal trial, contradicted previous testimony by Cohen that the real estate mogul was aware of the deal to pay Daniels $130,000 to silence her story about having a tryst with him.

“Michael Cohen said numerous times that President Trump knew nothing about those payments, that he did this on his own, and he repeated that numerous times,” claimed Costello, a Trump ally who last week bashed the prosecution’s case in front of Congress.

I think this is a great witness for the defense. JMO.

Well,let's hope they have the common sense to see the big picture

Probably a major consideration will be that Cohen doesn't want to go to jail again for perjury. So he is not likely to be lying on the stand in this court.
And another major consideration might be the utter contempt for the court shown (so far) by the attorney who is trying to discredit Cohen.

I think when a jury is selected to do their serious and expected civic duty, it is probably not a good idea to mock the proceedings.

imo

To all the legal nerds about to read this in-the-weeds article about the finer points of New York criminal law in full right now: Welcome.

To everyone reading this three or four weeks from now, panic-Googling the essential questions we’ve attempted to answer as the jury gets ready to deliver its verdict: We’re glad you finally made it.

And to everyone else: Bookmark this page. You may well want to have it handy as we head toward closing arguments and Justice Juan Merchan issues instructions to the jury regarding what the elements of the charged offenses are. The answers to such questions will only grow in importance in the weeks to come. —

I think this is a great witness for the defense. JMO.

If I were on that jury and I'd seen Costello's behavior that caused the judge to send the jury out, I would completely discount his testimony.

If he had something substantial to contribute, there was no reason for him to act so disrespectfully.

JMO

Last edited:
I think when a jury is selected to do their serious and expected civic duty, it is probably not a good idea to mock the proceedings.

imo

Snipped for focus

I agree. I've been on two juries, one criminal and one civil, and whenever an attorney started to break what I would consider courtroom decorum, I had to wonder what aspects of the case they were trying to deflect jurors' attention from.

I am not sure I would have brought this case with Michael Cohen
As my star witness---He admitted to stealing from the Trump
Organization---and there is so much more that makes his testimony
So questionable---
But who else are you going to call? You're not going to find a choir boy anywhere near Trump. They have to go with what they have.

Tuesday, May 21st:
*Trial continues (Day 16) (@ 9:30am ET) – NY - *Donald John Trump (76/now 77) was indicted (3/30/23), formally arrested, charged & arraigned (4/4/23) with 34 felony counts of falsifying business records in the 1st degree & conspiracy in connection with hush money payments to two women [Stephanie Clifford aka adult actor Stormy Daniels & former Playboy model Karen McDougal] before the 2016 presidential election. Plead not guilty. Warrant vacated, released on own recognizance. New York County
New York: Submitting false invoices or checks. All 34 counts against Trump are felony charges (class E) instead of misdemeanors.
Trial began on 4/15/24 with jury selection & ended on 4/19/24. 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [Jurors: 7 men & 5 women/6 Alternates: 5 women & 1 man].
Trial began on 4/22/24. [Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays]. Prosecutors rested their case on 5/20/24. Defense began their case on 5/20/24. Closing argument begin on 5/28/24.
New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Marchan presiding. Manhattan Attorney General Alvin Bragg. Prosecutors are Susan Hoffinger, Joshua Steinglass & Matthew Colangelo. Defense attorneys Todd Blanche, Emil Bove, Susan Necheles & Gedalia Stern.
Trump is required to attend each day in person — although the judge could grant permission for special absences. Trump has vowed to attend court during the day & travel to campaign events at night.

Investigation & court info from 3/30/23 thru 4/12/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-4 (4/15-4/19/24) & Trial Day 1-14 (4/22-5/16/24) reference post #322 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-3.711716/page-17

5/20/24 Monday, Trial Day 15: *Judge Merchan announces that given his understanding of what will happen this week, summations in the Manhattan DA’s criminal trial against Trump will be NEXT Tuesday, 5/28/24, after which the jury will deliberate.
*State witness: Michael Cohen back on stand for cross examination & re-direct.
*Judge Merchan raises the prospect of adjourning until 9:30 a.m. tomorrow in the event the C-SPAN witness can be present in court. The C-SPAN photo purportedly showing Trump & Schiller together when Cohen called on Oct. 24, 2016, will now be admitted after an agreement was met between the prosecution, the defense & Judge Merchan. The picture will come in by stipulation through Cohen’s testimony; it appears no additional testimony is necessary, so a C-SPAN representative will not need to appear tomorrow morning after all. The stipulation will be read into the record & will reflect that the photo comes from the end of a video taken of the campaign event.
*Prosecutors rested their case.
Defense witnesses: Daniel Sitko [a paralegal at Blanche's firm]. Robert Costello [a lawyer that Cohen testified Trump’s team pushed him to hire right after the FBI raided Cohen’s home & office in April 2018]. Will be back on stand tomorrow.
*After jurors were let go for the day, Trump’s attorneys moved to have Merchan dismiss the charges before jury deliberations, arguing that there was no evidence that Trump had committed the crimes. Merchan reserved judgment on deciding on their request, but the possibility that he grants it is very remote.
*So the schedule as it is written now: Defense witness Robert Costello will be back on the stand tomorrow & the judge & lawyers will meet Thursday to discuss jury instructions. They're taking Friday & Monday off for Memorial Day & closing arguments will be next week.
For more info see post #327 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...s-apr-2023-trial-25-mar-2024-3.711716/page-17
Trial continues on Tuesday, 5/21/24,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member