GUILTY NY - Ex-President Donald Trump, charged with 34 criminal counts of falsifying business records, Apr 2023, Trial 25 Mar 2024 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all the legal nerds about to read this in-the-weeds article about the finer points of New York criminal law in full right now: Welcome.

To everyone reading this three or four weeks from now, panic-Googling the essential questions we’ve attempted to answer as the jury gets ready to deliver its verdict: We’re glad you finally made it.

And to everyone else: Bookmark this page. You may well want to have it handy as we head toward closing arguments and Justice Juan Merchan issues instructions to the jury regarding what the elements of the charged offenses are. The answers to such questions will only grow in importance in the weeks to come. —
1716294928899.png

What to expect in court today​

Costello returns to the stand, and his demeanor will be under close scrutiny, particularly by Judge Merchan.

The judge threatened to strike all of Costello's testimony if he continues to exhibit the same kind of behavior from yesterday which Merchan described as "contemptuous." Losing Costello's testimony would be a setback for the defense, who called the veteran New York lawyer in an effort to undermine some of Cohen's recollection of events.

After Costello steps down from the stand, all attention will turn to Trump's attorneys to see if they call another witness or if they decide to rest. They have not said definitively whether Trump will testify.

Transcripts from yesterday afternoon's fiasco with Costello. We'll see if he behaves better today. If he doesn't, well, hope he brought a toothbrush IMO.
Thank you Leilei….. and not being critical….. just wondering……. In some reports it seemed the Judge during admonishing the witness Mr. Costello and defense counsel on the witness testimony / conduct indicated IIRC the court would ‘strike all his (i. e. RC) testimony’?

Did that appear or make it into the transcript? MOO

3. One wild card is whether Trump might choose to take the stand in his own defense, as is his right. Color me skeptical.The defense said yesterday that it expected to rest its case today, suggesting that Trump will not testify.
If Trump takes the stand I am Queen Elizabeth in disguise-- he will not take the stand- that is a given

Thank you Leilei….. and not being critical….. just wondering……. In some reports it seemed the Judge during admonishing the witness Mr. Costello and defense counsel on the witness testimony / conduct indicated IIRC the court would ‘strike all his (i. e. RC) testimony’?

Did that appear or make it into the transcript? MOO
It did make it into the transcript.

3. One wild card is whether Trump might choose to take the stand in his own defense, as is his right. Color me skeptical.The defense said yesterday that it expected to rest its case today, suggesting that Trump will not testify.
All of the complaining about being gagged. This is his chance to speak. He won't do it, though. His attorneys would be crazy to allow it IMO.

Judge Merchan is adjourning the court until next Tuesday. He expects jury deliberations to begin next Wednesday.

Merchan is now addressing the jury: normally you'd hear summations now, but in a case like this, summations will take a while, as will his jury instructions, which he predicts will take an hour.
https://x.com/TylerMcBrien/status/1792921658543534242/analytics

Bc we're meeting only today and Thurs, Merchan says there's no way we could do what needs to be done in a cohesive manner, it would be too broken up—best thing would be to adjourn now until Tues. At that time they'll hear summations, then the jury charge, then deliberations.

All of the complaining about being gagged. This is his chance to speak. He won't do it, though. His attorneys would be crazy to allow it IMO.
I am annoyed with all the pundits, some of whom, well most of whom, get big bucks to understand this case and the defendant: Some of them actually opined yesterday that Trump might testify. I am annoyed because that demonstrates they really do not understand Trump at all. There was no way he would testify in this case. You don't have to be Jean Dixon to know that.

per this quote from above X

Bc we're meeting only today and Thurs, Merchan says there's no way we could do what needs to be done in a cohesive manner, it would be too broken up—best thing would be to adjourn now until Tues. At that time they'll hear summations, then the jury charge, then deliberations.

Now on Thurs - it will only be the Judge & attorneys going over jury instructions - correct? I thought I read that a bit ago...

Judge Merchan explains that the jury won't return to court until next Tuesday for summations, adding that those closing arguments "will not be quick" and he expects his instructions to take at least an hour.

He said the court would have been in session today and Thursday. “There is no way that we can possibly do what needs to be done in a cohesive manner."

The judge said he decided the best thing to do was for the jury to adjourn now and return next Tuesday. He directed the jurors to continue keeping an open mind and then he'll give final instructions on the law. He added that he expects to potentially work next Wednesday as well.

A series of notable guests will join Trump in court today, including: Don Jr. (as we first reported), fmr acting AG Matt Whitaker, fmr FL AG Pam Bondi, Sebastian Gorka & a series of congressmen Also: Former president of the Hells Angel gang Chuck Zito & comedian Joe Piscopo

Well, that’s the funniest thing Joe Piscopo has ever done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX