NY NY - Jerry Francis Liberty, 20, South Glens Falls, 7 Mar 1963

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry Francis “Pee Wee” Liberty
DCF9FF49-54DF-4AA4-8DBC-9B835CE22528.jpeg F8234116-21FE-4E4A-A3CF-DF51AF2F4E73.jpeg 031497B5-6D33-45BE-9A4E-03CE92FF2A27.jpeg

Date of Last Contact: March 7, 1963
Missing From: South Glens Falls, Saratoga County, New York
Race / Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Sex: Male
Missing Age: 20 Years
Height: 5' 5" - 5' 9" (65 - 69 Inches)
Weight: 130 - 150 lbs
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Tattoo: Non descript tattoos on mid to upper left forearm, and lower bicep near inner elbow joint.
Clothing: Naval uniform suitable for the period and climate of Upstate NY in March.

Circumstances of Disappearance: Was on leave from in the South Glens Falls, NY area from St Albans Naval Hospital in Long Island. Had been under treatment for an injured hand. He was en route to report back to the Hospital when he was reported last seen hitch hiking along the Glens Falls / South Glens Falls bridge over the Hudson River. He had no extra clothing or personal items, and only a minimal amount of cash at the time. He never reported to the Hospital, and was never seen again.

Thx for posting this. It is local to me, and I’m really surprised I’ve never heard of this case as I actively pursue missing persons cases.

Wonder where he was staying, and what home life was like? Did he not have a car or someone that would give him a ride? December in that part of NY would not have been a time to hitchhike to Long Island - it’s about an 4hrs south - and he would have had to get a ride. Not being able to hitchhike on the interstate which is the common logical route, the back roads way to there doesn’t seem like anyone would attempt it walking.

i understand he was going to a naval hospital, but there is a large hospital literally right there by that same South Glens Falls bridge - would the financial (insurance)security of a naval hospital overwrite being treated locally? Different times I guess. Just made me wonder if the details were mixed up, I first thought he was going to that close hospital but no. If he hitchhiked and was picked up, anything could have happened and with anyone. I will say that area isn’t heavy populated and most likely if someone is traveling there they probably live in the area.

off to check out the fb group..

It seems he was either engaged (or may even have married since the engagement was announced in November 1962, although this seems unlikely) to Pamela Jean Pingrey. The engagement announcement is on the attached file from the Post-Star. As she married under her maiden name in 1968 I assume they did not marry. Whilst this does not answer the questions around his disappearance it does raise some possible motives such as a failed relationship triggering the disappearance (either to start a new life or something else). And as this was the time when Vietnam was looming the combination could have been relevant. I note from the Facebook page (which mentions Pamela but without the MSM announcement or detail) that the relatives certainly seem to have considered Canada as a possible destination as they have looked at possible people there, but without luck. This does seem to be one of those cases where starting a new life is a real possibility.

Attachments

• pingrey.jpg
    pingrey.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members