Identified! NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03 Patricia McGlone

The fact she had a history of extensive dental work but a rotted/rotting tooth at death to me indicates she came from an at least mostly stable family but lost access to medical care when she left home. She might be an actual runaway, i.e. it could be a "I'm running away with the boyfriend my parents don't like" situation (MOO).

Also considering how exclusive the club apparently was, I wonder if she was brought there alive during the day (or after death) where there wouldn't be any witnesses.

So, there are no relatives longer alive, yet she had a child when she was a child herself. Ugh, I have a gut feeling the 9/11 relative was her child, who would’ve been in their thirties in 2001.
An IGG investigation was utilized in her identification. Jane Doe was identified through her distant genetic relatives.
Because IGG is only a lead, UHR cases require a confirmatory one to one comparison between the UHR and a living close matrilineal relative (mitochondrial DNA).
Patricia had no close living matrilineal relatives. However a distant matrilineal relative was a victim of 9/11 and their family reference sample was used for the identification.
I hope this clears up the confusion on her identification.

An IGG investigation was utilized in her identification. Jane Doe was identified through her distant genetic relatives.
Because IGG is only a lead, UHR cases require a confirmatory one to one comparison between the UHR and a living close matrilineal relative (mitochondrial DNA).
Patricia had no close living matrilineal relatives. However a distant matrilineal relative was a victim of 9/11 and their family reference sample was used for the identification.
I hope this clears up the confusion on her identification.
I am in awe! I've had the least success with matrilineal matching.

The one to one mito comparison was performed at the OCME. This is very routine for any medical examiner’s office.
The IGG investigation was autosomal DNA.
Thanks for the clarification. Autosomal DNA I understand better. And I'm just a builder of family trees, nothing scientific like an ME's office or IGG Investigation.

I respectfully disagree, I think there has to be other evidence she had a child aside from the mere presence of the toy soldier in the carpeting. Maybe parturition scars, marks on the inner surfaces of the pelvic bones from childbirth, were present. The soldier might not be terribly important; it and the dime could have been rolled up in the carpet in the haste to hide Patricia's body. Those "army men" tangle up well with all their stick-out parts; I can especially see this happening by accident if the carpet was a shag style with long fibers.

I know more information is forthcoming on this case, but I wonder if Patricia was never reported missing or her missing report wasn't taken seriously by LE. She had to have help raising a child while still a minor herself. Her child's caregiver must have wanted to report her missing instead of just raising the child as their own without any help, especially if they had no reason to believe her disappearance was anything but voluntary. (I hope I phrased that correctly; what I mean is that I would help raise my grandchild if one of my teens became a young parent, but I would immediately report them missing if they appeared to run away because, their own safety aside, I would need their help raising their child.)

I respectfully disagree, I think there has to be other evidence she had a child aside from the mere presence of the toy soldier in the carpeting. Maybe parturition scars, marks on the inner surfaces of the pelvic bones from childbirth, were present. The soldier might not be terribly important; it and the dime could have been rolled up in the carpet in the haste to hide Patricia's body. Those "army men" tangle up well with all their stick-out parts; I can especially see this happening by accident if the carpet was a shag style with long fibers.

I know more information is forthcoming on this case, but I wonder if Patricia was never reported missing or her missing report wasn't taken seriously by LE. She had to have help raising a child while still a minor herself. Her child's caregiver must have wanted to report her missing instead of just raising the child as their own without any help, especially if they had no reason to believe her disappearance was anything but voluntary. (I hope I phrased that correctly; what I mean is that I would help raise my grandchild if one of my teens became a young parent, but I would immediately report them missing if they appeared to run away because, their own safety aside, I would need their help raising their child.)
I would also assume that law enforcement checked for all birth certificates for children birthed by Patricia, in hopes of verifying her identity via a close DNA match, although it sounds like this was not possible as they declared there are no longer any living close relations, but this is possibly how LE confirmed she was a mother. <modsnip: sleuthing family members>. Good point about the soldier being easily tangled in a carpet. This is all so sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know more information is forthcoming on this case, but I wonder if Patricia was never reported missing or her missing report wasn't taken seriously by LE. She had to have help raising a child while still a minor herself. Her child's caregiver must have wanted to report her missing instead of just raising the child as their own without any help, especially if they had no reason to believe her disappearance was anything but voluntary. (I hope I phrased that correctly; what I mean is that I would help raise my grandchild if one of my teens became a young parent, but I would immediately report them missing if they appeared to run away because, their own safety aside, I would need their help raising their child.
I would also assume that law enforcement checked for all birth certificates for children birthed by Patricia, in hopes of verifying her identity via a close DNA match, although it sounds like this was not possible as they declared there are no longer any living close relations, but this is possibly how LE confirmed she was a mother. <modsnip: sleuthing family> Good point about the soldier being easily tangled in a carpet. This is all so sad.
Although I can’t comment on this case as it’s an open homicide investigation, I can say that it is routine in any investigation to check births, marriages and deaths with vital records. Also keep in mind that the NBC news segment was edited.

Could it have been a cousin? Maybe she only had like two or three and they all died before the past few years somehow.

Toy soldier could've been from a young cousin at the time.

I don't think there would be a way to prove conclusively whether skeletal remains encased in concrete for decades had given birth in life or not. I could be wrong.
Pelvis should show signs of childbirth. If c section, probably no way to know from skeletal remains.

Patricia McGlone's mother's maiden name is listed on the certificates, and I believe that is how they probably identified her. The 9/11 victim they identified her to is of an age where you'd be looking more at a sibling or cousin than a child, and we're not sure she had a child. I don't think based on the info I found that you're looking at a sibling, though, this would have to be a somewhat more removed relative. While we know now who Patricia is, we still really don't know the date-- even approximate-- of death, right? I've been assuming 1969, but really, that's not necessarily a given. I'm still positive that has to be an SK. Angry boyfriends and pimps would dump a body in a field and get out of town, not encase it in concrete-- although anything is possible.

If death occurred later into the 80s, you'd start looking at people like Rifkin & RH. If 60s, 70s, Cottingham or someone like him, but with some propensity for concrete, which I don't think I've ever seen associated with Cottingham. One incredibly weird but fascinating note here: Rodney Alacala. He was working with Cottingham at Blue Cross I think Empire location in-- 1969. In 1971, he murdered a TWA stewardess who was living a block down from the apartment listed for Patricia's father on her birth certificate, in Yorkville. If working at Empire Blue Cross, he'd be easy walking distance to the location of where Patricia's body was found at 301 W. 46th St. Cottingham would have been as well, and that was actually part of Cottingham's stomping ground. It was like a 7 minute drive from where they worked. The thing about Alcala is, I can picture Alcala at "The Scene," he'd have fit right in, he's Studio 54 material. When I looked through a vault of photographs Alcala had taken of people (police fear at least some of these people are probably dead), there are two or three photos of a girl in what may be a "clubby" atmosphere with the same brick background you see in "Scene" photographs. The thing is, though, do we really think a murderer came back pouring concrete in a club that was still active and operational? This had to have been after it closed its doors in 1969. And there are apartments up above that club, maybe they were in some way involved. The concrete is where it gets very strange, and RH would know how to do this, Rifkin probably would through landscaping, but I can't picture these others mentioned actually pouring concrete.

There are all kinds of directions to go in. Hopefully, we'll find out more about Patricia and what happened to her.

Patricia McGlone's mother's maiden name is listed on the certificates, and I believe that is how they probably identified her. The 9/11 victim they identified her to is of an age where you'd be looking more at a sibling or cousin than a child, and we're not sure she had a child. I don't think based on the info I found that you're looking at a sibling, though, this would have to be a somewhat more removed relative. While we know now who Patricia is, we still really don't know the date-- even approximate-- of death, right? I've been assuming 1969, but really, that's not necessarily a given. I'm still positive that has to be an SK. Angry boyfriends and pimps would dump a body in a field and get out of town, not encase it in concrete-- although anything is possible.

If death occurred later into the 80s, you'd start looking at people like Rifkin & RH. If 60s, 70s, Cottingham or someone like him, but with some propensity for concrete, which I don't think I've ever seen associated with Cottingham. One incredibly weird but fascinating note here: Rodney Alacala. He was working with Cottingham at Blue Cross I think Empire location in-- 1969. In 1971, he murdered a TWA stewardess who was living a block down from the apartment listed for Patricia's father on her birth certificate, in Yorkville. If working at Empire Blue Cross, he'd be easy walking distance to the location of where Patricia's body was found at 301 W. 46th St. Cottingham would have been as well, and that was actually part of Cottingham's stomping ground. It was like a 7 minute drive from where they worked. The thing about Alcala is, I can picture Alcala at "The Scene," he'd have fit right in, he's Studio 54 material. When I looked through a vault of photographs Alcala had taken of people (police fear at least some of these people are probably dead), there are two or three photos of a girl in what may be a "clubby" atmosphere with the same brick background you see in "Scene" photographs. The thing is, though, do we really think a murderer came back pouring concrete in a club that was still active and operational? This had to have been after it closed its doors in 1969. And there are apartments up above that club, maybe they were in some way involved. The concrete is where it gets very strange, and RH would know how to do this, Rifkin probably would through landscaping, but I can't picture these others mentioned actually pouring concrete.

There are all kinds of directions to go in. Hopefully, we'll find out more about Patricia and what happened to her.
Reposting how Patricia was identified:

The Scene closed in Aug of 1969. <modsnip>

Reposting how Patricia was identified:

The Scene closed in Aug of 1969. <modsnip>
<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

Only certain people have access to buildings, especially access to move a body and cover it with concrete without immediate discovery by someone.

MOO

So, there are no relatives longer alive, yet she had a child when she was a child herself. Ugh, I have a gut feeling the 9/11 relative was her child, who would’ve been in their thirties in 2001.
Has LE confirmed she had a child? Was this based on autopsy results or just the fact that a toy soldier was wrapped up in the carpet with her?

Could it be possible that she had no child but the individual who killed her did/does?

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

I know it's not impossible for a 16 year old to be married (especially back then) but wouldn't a 16 year old in 1969 still need parental consent for a marriage? I also know this usually varies by state. Would it have been hard for her to lie about her age at the time?

I'm leaning more towards her dying after 1969, but pre-1975.

<modsnip>

I know it's not impossible for a 16 year old to be married (especially back then) but wouldn't a 16 year old in 1969 still need parental consent for a marriage? I also know this usually varies by state. Would it have been hard for her to lie about her age at the time?

There was a law change in the last few years to try to prevent child marriage in New York. From what I could tell, the law before that was a hundred years old and allowed marriage for a 16 or 17 year old with parental permission, and for a 14 or 15 year old with permission of the court. So yeah, unless someone lied about her age, she would have needed permission.

MOO

<modsnip>

Not saying that this is what happened, but it was 100% possible to lie about your age. I recall reading about the singer Aaliyah being illegally married to R Kelly at age 15 even as late as the 1990s (obviously in another state).
The marriage certificate, which was shown to jurors last week, names Edmund as the “elder” who officiated Kelly and Aaliyah’s wedding. The certificate falsely stated that Aaliyah was 18—and thus of legal age. The “Bump N’ Grind” artist was 27. The Cook County Clerk marriage application, certification, and license stated that the pair got married on Aug. 31, 1994, in Rosemont, Illinois.

<modsnip>

She married at 16

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee