NY NY - Manhattan, MultMale 14-19, UP116674, long hair, cloth bracelet, found in Hudson River, Feb'24

His clothes look pretty ordinary for a guy that age to me. Certainly thrift store is a possibility, but so is Kohl's or Target. He would not attract any attention if he walked down a street near any of Boston's universities. (I live in the Boston area.)

The shorts could be from Boston College's recreation programs, but the text doesn't look like any of their more common designs.

p.s. just realized there are some guys missing from the Boston area who have quite similar descriptions. I'll check on that tomorrow...

Last edited:
The collective knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

I admire anybody keeping traditional craft skills alive. In Japan, masters of traditional crafts can be given the honor of "Living National Treasure". The craft skill does not need to be "sexy" like say, forging Samurai swords. One guy with the title makes brooms. I wish we had a similar recognition here.

As for fiber crafts, I once saw a demonstration on hand made lace making. Wow, it was insane with pins, the pattern, the adjustments, and the complex pattern of throws to create another layer. I also saw a demonstration on loom weaving once.

Wishing you the best in your art- your skills are part of our collective heritage. And they are needed to today and will be needed tomorrow!!!

Getting off my soap box.... .
Yeah, lace making is next level. Not part of my skill set, but mad props to those who do it.

I'm 25 and his clothes are pretty standard for a teen/20s guy; champion is a popular brand and those big graphic tees are back in ;) I wouldn't automatically assume these are donated clothes. The weird thing here is sweat pants AND shorts..which one on top?? If layering for warmth, those shorts don't provide that much warmth. I've known boys to wear shorts as boxers before, but he was also wearing real underwear under it all.
One ruleout:
Derek Estrella DLC 10/27/2023

I wondered if he was RC after noticing the rosary knot bracelet although people wear all manner of items of religious significance that have nothing to do with their faith. Remember a few years ago when Madonna and tons of other celebs wore Kabbalah bracelets and those who went to cultish Hillsong church?

I presume his hair is straight if he wore it in a bun. I wondered if he worked in a restaurant where hair has to be contained, even though that man bun style is pretty on trend right now. I found that more man buns came about after the TV series Vikings came out, maybe he was a fan.

The area he was found is Harlem.

I work with a lot of Dominican youth who have that same hair style. Even if your hair is a bit kinky you can man bun it. It is a very popular hair style if you have the right hair for it.

Anthony Gomez, Riverhead NY, 5'9", white-hispanic, brown hair, DLC april 5 '23. He is a runaway from a youth rehabilitation center. I suggest him due to his hair style of longer on top and shaved on the sides; as seen, he is known to wear it in braids or locs (i cant find any pics of him with a bun).
Now, he does have an unspecified arm tattoo, but I'm not sure about this UIDs level of decomp.

I'm 25 and his clothes are pretty standard for a teen/20s guy; champion is a popular brand and those big graphic tees are back in ;) I wouldn't automatically assume these are donated clothes. The weird thing here is sweat pants AND shorts..which one on top?? If layering for warmth, those shorts don't provide that much warmth. I've known boys to wear shorts as boxers before, but he was also wearing real underwear under it all.
One ruleout:

Pulled sweatpants on over his shorts after a basketball game or workout?

One ruleout:
My ex boyfriend wore underwear, then basketball shorts, and then sweats or jeans on top. I think some guys just do this.

Many of the missing that are being linked here are young people who were placed at facilities for youth who were troubled, adjudicated, or having mental health issues. My guess (as I know this population) is that most of the missing have just gone back with family/friends/organized group (gangs) rather than are at great risk. One of the young men listed/linked on this thread was missing from Riverhead (possibly Timothy Hill Ranch) and Dobbs Ferry (most likely Children's Village) within a year which indicates that he was in residential treatment and left both times.

One ruleout:
my kids are athletes and wear shorts under sweats often. never know when a pick up game starts.

I work with a lot of Dominican youth who have that same hair style. Even if your hair is a bit kinky you can man bun it. It is a very popular hair style if you have the right hair for it.
a dad on my sons team has a curly man bun lol

He might have been Catholic as the bracelet is a Rosary decade (10 prayer knots, with a cross).

The totality of the clothing could suggest the deceased was part of the vague urban youth sub culture- though I am very ignorant of the latest clothing trends associated with it.

One thing that seems strange is possible urban youth type clothing, but the lack of NYC motifs on the clothing. Instead of "NYC" or say, 'Bronx', 'Brooklyn', Yankees logos etc, he has "LA" and "Boyz in the Hood"- also set in LA. It just seem off for NYC.

I cant help but remember the "pro LA" graffitti that I saw on the Brooklyn Bridge which had been crossed out with expletive driven uhmm.... "statements of disagreement". Maybe a runaway from the LA area and still in LA urban wear?
Could the red Champion shirt and Decade Rosary have been related to gang colors in LA or simply a fashion choice?

Responding to myself as it's too late to edit my comment. I started thinking maybe this is a migrant who wore donated clothes - the name on the briefs and BC REC which could be Boston College. Just a thought, moo.
I found a BC Rec shirt on EBay with the same logo. Looks to be an old, discontinued logo.

Perhaps I don't understand decomp in water very well but if he went into the river in the winter, then barring water scavengers and other damages that can occur, why was he unrecognizable? I would think his body would have been somewhat preserved given the clothing and water temperature in winter?

Perhaps I don't understand decomp in water very well but if he went into the river in the winter, then barring water scavengers and other damages that can occur, why was he unrecognizable? I would think his body would have been somewhat preserved given the clothing and water temperature in winter?
There's lots of reasons and situations that can affect decomp of a body even in the winter. For starters, the weight of an individual can affect decomp. Obese individuals can decompose quicker than lean-bodied corpses. Obese corpses can last longer in water especially cold water because the fat becomes a waxy like substance called adipocere which can actually preserve the corpse. Temperature obviously has an effect on how quickly a body decomposes; the warmer it is the quicker the decomp. Temps in NYC during January and up to when he was found was fairly mild; temps in the mid 40s with many days sunny and few days of rain or snow.

We know his body was found in the water but we don't know whether being in water was the cause of his death. He may have been a homeless person who died under a bridge from an overdose or foul play and someone dumped his body into the water. He may have died elsewhere, naturally or by suspicious circumstance, and his body moved. One a body has been removed from water the rate of decomposition is accelerated.

There's lots of reasons and situations that can affect decomp of a body even in the winter. For starters, the weight of an individual can affect decomp. Obese individuals can decompose quicker than lean-bodied corpses. Obese corpses can last longer in water especially cold water because the fat becomes a waxy like substance called adipocere which can actually preserve the corpse. Temperature obviously has an effect on how quickly a body decomposes; the warmer it is the quicker the decomp. Temps in NYC during January and up to when he was found was fairly mild; temps in the mid 40s with many days sunny and few days of rain or snow.

We know his body was found in the water but we don't know whether being in water was the cause of his death. He may have been a homeless person who died under a bridge from an overdose or foul play and someone dumped his body into the water. He may have died elsewhere, naturally or by suspicious circumstance, and his body moved. One a body has been removed from water the rate of decomposition is accelerated.
Thank you. I knew there was something I was missing.

I have seen the body of a 14 year old pale-complexed boy who drowned in fall, and 2 weeks later when he was recovered, he could easily pass for an obese black man. Decomp is slower in water/in the cold, but it will still do a number on you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johandev
Back