NY NY - Manhattan, WhtFem, UP104647, 70-80, found unresponsive after residential fire, tentative name Gilda Abramowitz, March 2023

I'd contact the ME listed on NamUs if I thought I knew her.
I don't know if they could show you a photo so you could see if it looks like her or not.
Then they could contact her relatives for DNA to verify. I don't know why they haven't reached out to them already. Recognizable face, a name, an approximate age... so strange. I mean who else would it be but the person who'd lived there for 50+ years? Are they being lazy or do they have some reason to believe she's someone else? Maybe the landlord or a neighbour saw her and said it wasn't her? But wouldn't people be talking if that had happened...?
Either way, get the ball rolling, it's her or it isn't and if it's not we get a huge mystery to dig into!
A scientific identification has to be made, either by DNA, dental records, or fingerprints.

Eeh... that's what I said? "Then they could contact her relatives for DNA to verify"
???
You asked why she hasn't been identified if she was the resident for 50 years. You cant force a family member to give comparative DNA, if you can even find the family members.

You asked why she hasn't been identified if she was the resident for 50 years. You cant force a family member to give comparative DNA, if you can even find the family members.
Gilda's relatives are very easy to find, and LE have not contacted them for DNA or anything else.

I'd contact the ME listed on NamUs if I thought I knew her.
I don't know if they could show you a photo so you could see if it looks like her or not.
Then they could contact her relatives for DNA to verify. I don't know why they haven't reached out to them already. Recognizable face, a name, an approximate age... so strange. I mean who else would it be but the person who'd lived there for 50+ years? Are they being lazy or do they have some reason to believe she's someone else? Maybe the landlord or a neighbour saw her and said it wasn't her? But wouldn't people be talking if that had happened...?
Either way, get the ball rolling, it's her or it isn't and if it's not we get a huge mystery to dig into!
As to "contact the ME listed on NamUs"... I have no idea what that means. Like I said, I saw this thread come up in a Google search result yesterday, and joined so I could add my two cents. I haven't even read every single post in this entire thread.

Hello all. I’m new to this site, and only really joined to post in this thread. I used to work with a Gilda Abramowitz in NYC from 1998-2006. We lost touch after I changed jobs, and I had heard she had died a few years back, but I just today decided to google her obituary, and…found this thread.

The phone number I have in my address book matches the one linked to the 31st Street address. She had a brother named Bennett. She lived in a rent-controlled Manhattan apartment with a male roommate or boyfriend.

I saw something about an old school award for English… she was an editor and proofreader by profession.

And, in the seemingly likely event this case is the Gilda I knew, she pronounced it “Zhilda,” not with the hard G like Gilda Radner.

Now what?
Wow, first, welcome to WebSleuths! Thank you for letting us know and your information may be the final piece to the puzzle. If you are comfortable, maybe reach out to the NamUs and/or NYME contacts to pass along the information you have?

1695751012364.png

Wow, first, welcome to WebSleuths! Thank you for letting us know and your information may be the final piece to the puzzle. If you are comfortable, maybe reach out to the NamUs and/or NYME contacts to pass along the information you have?

View attachment 449500

Thank you for your simple, easy to understand information and instructions, I don't think I'm too good at that =D
I read a few articles from recent years re the ME of NYC and he sounds like he really wants all these cases solved.
In one article he was urging people to submit their DNA to his office so the UIDs may be identified. But I was wondering what if they don't, but upload to GedMatch? Does his office use resources like DDP, Othram, all the other amazing teams of DNA researchers out there?
(If no one finds that article I'll find it tomorrow and post the link.)

View attachment 449500
I just got off the phone with a guy from the NYC Medical Examiner's office. I gave him what information I could—that the phone number I had for "my" Gilda showed up linked to the address of the fire in Google results, the names of the businesses where I worked with her, and the name and location of her brother. Hopefully this leads somewhere positive.

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with a guy from the NYC Medical Examiner's office. I gave him what information I could—that the phone number I had for "my" Gilda showed up linked to the address of the fire in Google results, the names of the businesses where I worked with her, and the name and location of her brother. Hopefully this leads somewhere positive.

I know this seems like a crazy question but do you remember the eye color of your Gilda A?

The woman found deceased in the apartment fire reportedly had blue eyes. While eye color can change or be "off" after death, I am curious if this is something you remember. Of note, I'm not sure I'd remember the eye color of any of my coworkers years later... unless they were distinct.

I know this seems like a crazy question but do you remember the eye color of your Gilda A?

The woman found deceased in the apartment fire reportedly had blue eyes. While eye color can change or be "off" after death, I am curious if this is something you remember. Of note, I'm not sure I'd remember the eye color of any of my coworkers years later... unless they were distinct.
Sadly, no.

NamUs #UP104647

Sex/Race/Ethnicity: White Female
Estimated Age Range: 70-80
Height: 5'6" (measured)
Weight: 97lbs (measured)
DBF: March 24th, 2023
Circumstances of Recovery: Found unresponsive in an apartment after a residential fire. Tentative name of Gilda Abramowitz, but this name has not been verified and family has not been notified.
Condition: recognizable face (no photo on NaMus)
Hair Color/Description: Gray or Partially Gray, wavy, approximately 7"
Eye Color: Blue

The woman was declared dead at the scene. Her identity was not immediately released.

“She was quiet and didn’t go anywhere since her husband died last summer,” said Boris Sufayed, who owns a barber shop next to the fire scene.

Sufayed said the woman’s husband died last summer. “He went to the hospital and he never came back.”

“She was a good lady. She was quiet. She smoked a lot — 90% of the time, she was smoking.”

---

A 1967 article from The Reporter Dispatch in White Planes, New York lists Glinda as a survivor in her father, Harold C. Weiss' obituary:

View attachment 429460

In 2020, the NY Daily News listed Mrs. Abramowitz's name in the Unclaimed Fund listing and it includes the same apartment address as the article regarding the fire:

View attachment 429461

Marriage License Info from Ancestry:

NameGilda Weiss
GenderFemale
Marriage License Date1962
Marriage License PlaceManhattan, New York City, New York, USA
SpouseHarry Abramowitz
License Number10171

An article about her husband, his obituary, and Find a Grave:

I cannot find any record of children or next of kin. I'm wondering if this poor woman was the last surviving relative. I'll keep searching records in an attempt to determine any next of kin.
The Gilda I knew was definitely a heavy smoker. When she worked after normal business hours, she would close the door to her office so she could smoke while working.

Again, I believe she was never married, and her birth name was Abramowitz. This Gilda Weiss/Abramowitz is a different woman.

I was in further contact with somebody from the ME's office. We arranged for them to send me a photo to try to identify the victim, but I couldn't. It had been too long since I'd last seen her (14-15 years), and the woman in the photo had facial injuries (from the fire, I assume).

I tried to contact the nephew (and his wife) via Facebook Messenger, but they never even read the messages. I tried to phone him at the only available number - turns out it was his law office. I spoke to a paralegal and left a message, but apparently the ME had already called (based on info I had provided, I think), but he was uncooperative. I think there had been some sort of estrangement between Gilda and her brother/nephew. Not sure what else can be done.

Understanding none of the issues regarding rent controlled dwelling in NYC, what are the ongoing issues for the owners of a rent controlled property ?

In general, on going issues for owners of such properties would be:

- A sense of that due to the rent control measure (freezes or greatly reduces rent increases) and the difficulty of evicting people in NYC, they have effectively lost control of their own private property.

- I dont know if rent control is linked to individual tenants (ends with death), or is centered on certain rental units and is passable to new tenants?

But.... my general understanding is that rent control and the restrictions, the complications it brings, and the associated likes / dislikes are very well known concepts in NYC. Thus, they would seem to less likely be a "surprise" issue.

As a side note, a SFC building owner once mentioned to me that he and his wife were working near 24/7/365 and wanted to expand their restaurant. Some spaces, however, were classified as 'residential'. The tenants were unemployed (able), used drugs and harassed their employees. Yet....they were protected under SFC's rent control.

I was in further contact with somebody from the ME's office. We arranged for them to send me a photo to try to identify the victim, but I couldn't. It had been too long since I'd last seen her (14-15 years), and the woman in the photo had facial injuries (from the fire, I assume).

I tried to contact the nephew (and his wife) via Facebook Messenger, but they never even read the messages. I tried to phone him at the only available number - turns out it was his law office. I spoke to a paralegal and left a message, but apparently the ME had already called (based on info I had provided, I think), but he was uncooperative. I think there had been some sort of estrangement between Gilda and her brother/nephew. Not sure what else can be done.

That is heartbreaking. Could you contact the Hebrew Free Burial Association so that they claim her and give her a decent burial? They handle cases of estranged Jews who are not claimed and buried by family.

Thank you for taking the time to help with your personal experience! It is so nice to see that there are still others in this world that keep an eye out for people. I can't imagine how emotional this must have been for you. Sending you and Gilda positive energy today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuryus
Back