NY NY - Robert Mayer, 46, Dix Hills, 14 Jun 2013 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
TCG-- I think the plan may have been in the works for awhile----maybe thats the event that set things in motion. RM may have been planning to go-IM knew it but "things went off the rails". Maybe it was the Italy trip, a fight on the phone, a fight the week before.

:twocents: My personal experience owning several 2 door cars is that you don't put much in the back seat unless you absolutely have to. Its a big old PIA to get it in + out if its of any size. Much easier to put it in the front seat or front floorboard or the trunk. The only things that travelled much in my back seats were people. And certainly getting out was a hat trick to say the least if they were over 4'. So its JMO that either someone shorter drove the car or someone was a passenger in the rear seat. Or someone moved the seat to make it look like someone shorter drove the car. The trunk was empty, so I think anything that was being transported was in there. Always JMO.
Snipped by me...
I have a 2002 Pontiac (GM) Trans Am. The only thing I put in the backseat are occasionally people, and I set my purse behind me on the backseat. Anything else goes in the hatchback. The drivers seat has several buttons for the lumbar support and to move the seat forwards and backward, and to tilt the seat up or down. A latch on the back of the seat flops the seat back forward but doesn't move the base of the seat.

The motors for the seats are VERY slow, and have been since I bought it new. The backs of the back seats fold down, making a flat space. I have moved my seat closer than usual if carrying something large in the back, including my sons bike. It fit with no problem, when my drivers seat was forward more than I usually have it. :twocents:

I am of 2 minds cluciano---that he is alive or that he isn't (I know-brilliant cawfee!!!). I think he may be in a new life, working out of state--not that there is a new family or lover. I think there were marital issues, he planned to leave over the summer while the kids were out of school to give them an adjustment period. But something happened to advance the date of him moving out and it became a volatile situation that went very public very fast.
:twocents:

My thoughts as well.

Now the familiy insists he left the wallet home that day when he went to work, and I believe if he had a tendency to do so then that could be accurate. However, was the wallet left inside the house in the morning? Did he tell IM he left his wallet home? If the wallet was found in the garage later, how do they know he did not have it with him at work?

Why is this relevent? Because we might like to know if he moved his wallet from the house to the garage? If he ever went INTO the house before he dropped all that stuff off in the garage.

good point CC--- IMO a garage is an odd place to leave a wallet (it doesnt seem to me like a secure enough place---I am tho a belt and suspenders kinda gal so). But if he switched all ID, credit cards, debit cards AND HIS UNION CARD AND HIS MEDICAL INSURANCE CARD (where are the bloody things) leaving only unimportant paper receipts, business cards then its totally plausible to switch wallets and leave an empty one in the drawer in garage.

There is another missing man (George Richardson of Dix Hills) that has been missing for a year. Last seen at a hotel room (with his family) in Montauk. He has a link on here, but not much interest.

Does anybody else find it strange that 2 men from Dix Hills is missing? Or is that a reach?

There is another missing man (George Richardson of Dix Hills) that has been missing for a year. Last seen at a hotel room (with his family) in Montauk. He has a link on here, but not much interest.

Does anybody else find it strange that 2 men from Dix Hills is missing? Or is that a reach?

Yes its strange and a reach? hhmmmm.......not sure
I think GR is believed to have gone for a morning swim and drown.

good point CC--- IMO a garage is an odd place to leave a wallet (it doesnt seem to me like a secure enough place---I am tho a belt and suspenders kinda gal so). But if he switched all ID, credit cards, debit cards AND HIS UNION CARD AND HIS MEDICAL INSURANCE CARD (where are the bloody things) leaving only unimportant paper receipts, business cards then its totally plausible to switch wallets and leave an empty one in the drawer in garage.

I would like to know if all of his credit cards, debit cards, pictures of the kids, Union Card, Health Insurance Card, Discount Cards, etc. were in the wallet. Why is there a shroud of mystery by just stating "the Wallet" was left behind? I would have been more satisfied with a quote about everything being in the wallet and nothing missing.

I would like to know if all of his credit cards, debit cards, pictures of the kids, Union Card, Health Insurance Card, Discount Cards, etc. were in the wallet. Why is there a shroud of mystery by just stating "the Wallet" was left behind? I would have been more satisfied with a quote about everything being in the wallet and nothing missing.

CC----IMO it all goes to the mysterious disappearance angle---the day he left, all the plans for the BBQ, "He would NEVER..." that pervades. It doesnt make alot of sense b/c it was stated a few times that RM was in the habit of forgetting his wallet. However that counters with ID being gone----Lord-my head hurts.

I have searched and searched and searched online. How can anybody, in the year 2013, not have any kind of internet footprint? I can even find my 70 year old very rural country dad on the internet and pretty much all he knows how to do is email.

I have searched and searched and searched online. How can anybody, in the year 2013, not have any kind of internet footprint? I can even find my 70 year old very rural country dad on the internet and pretty much all he knows how to do is email.

Actually it is very possible and more common than you would think in this era. Until I opened a facebook acct and other than that I do not have one. Nor did either of my parents until they died and the funeral home and newspapers made their obituaries public online. (And I have been using computers since back when we programed in dos)

That someone he met outside would have to be on foot, right? Because we do not know of any other cars in the neighbor's camera. Or do we? Was that information omitted from the reports? You know, what about foot traffic on that darn camera? If the camera only caught the red of his car, why would it not catch people walking by around that time?
Well I don't know what method of transportation they might use. I was theorizing more on the lines of - RM intended to meet someone at the train station or at a location not far from home - store or residence or ____? If that makes more sense? Clear as mud I'm sure.

Now if that were the case, again the question goes back to - why go home first? Why not do it before going home? Did he need to take something from home? Did something happen during his ride home from work / scrap yard that all of a sudden he needed to go home to grab ___ + then take care of ___? Did he not intend to go out until after he got home + it came up at the last minute? I surely don't know but this is the way I'm thinking so I'm putting it out there. Pure theory based on not much at this point. JMO of course because I got nothing else.

To your point - all I recall is (my words here) it was "most likely" RM's GTO that came home approx. 2:40 + left at 2:50 with no driver or passenger visible due to camera view. Also IM was seen arriving home in her vehicle (not sure what she drives) about 3:00. Now WE haven't been told anything more. I'm sure though footage was reviewed prior to + beyond this time frame. So who knows what else might have come to light from sec. cam footage. WE of course are left to speculate until the cows come home. :moo:

I have a 2002 Pontiac (GM) Trans Am. The only thing I put in the backseat are occasionally people, and I set my purse behind me on the backseat. Anything else goes in the hatchback. The drivers seat has several buttons for the lumbar support and to move the seat forwards and backward, and to tilt the seat up or down. A latch on the back of the seat flops the seat back forward but doesn't move the base of the seat.

The motors for the seats are VERY slow, and have been since I bought it new. The backs of the back seats fold down, making a flat space. I have moved my seat closer than usual if carrying something large in the back, including my sons bike. It fit with no problem, when my drivers seat was forward more than I usually have it. :twocents:

I had postulated earlier that the missing bicycle could have been in the back seat. Philigumbo saying that the back seats can be folded flat and with the front seat scooted forward a bike could fit in back fits my scenario. Maybe he was meeting someone from Craigslist etc to sell his bike and things went bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Actually it is very possible and more common than you would think in this era. Until I opened a facebook acct and other than that I do not have one. Nor did either of my parents until they died and the funeral home and newspapers made their obituaries public online. (And I have been using computers since back when we programed in dos)
Uhoh I think we might be related. :floorlaugh:
Seriously though I know lots of folks that are not all over the internet or don't even have a connection. I know, I know - THE HORROR! Or they don't have cells or only use them in the utmost emergency. They are out there. JMO

I just mean that in 2013 with EVERYTHING online - obituaries (nobody close to him has passed away in the last 10-15 years?); he hasn't coached one of his kid's soccer, baseball, softball, basketball team and shown up in a newspaper article?; he hasn't been part of any league (bowling, cycling, etc) and had a team picture posted? Nothing with the IBEW?

I get not having a social site (FB, Myspace, Twitter, etc), but I can google my dad's name (he doesn't have any of that either), but he's listed on a couple obituaries as a family member and where he got an award at work when he retired.

It just seems strange that a younger man like RM with kids wouldn't be online somewhere.

Any locals willing to get video and/or pictures of the Long Island Train depot parking lot at night, particularly where the car was found?

See how much activity is there at night? Trying to get a feel for when the car was dropped off?

If you dont mind me asking, how would that help?

It would just help my thoughts about the parking situation at that particular lot. It has been told that the same spot where RM's car was found was a preference, in the past he always parked there. On the flip side, there is never enough parking available, so reported. I wonder what available parking is there at 3 PM, 9 PM or 2 AM. For me, that 'open spot' seems a bit too convenient to be available on a semi-early friday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot