NY - Samuel Bankman-Fried (FTX), Alleged Fraud, Money Laundering, 2019-2022 *Arrest*

Listening to Caroline in the all-hands meeting, she sounds so carefree and joyous:
Above link courtesy of The Verge Listen in to that infamous Alameda Research all-hands meeting. - The Verge (via this link, the audio starts at about 42:00)

In fact, she sounds a lot like Charlie Javice.
MOO

Listening to Caroline in the all-hands meeting, she sounds so carefree and joyous:

Above link courtesy of The Verge Listen in to that infamous Alameda Research all-hands meeting. - The Verge (via this link, the audio starts at about 42:00)

In fact, she sounds a lot like Charlie Javice.

MOO
Thanks for the link.

It's a matter of interpretation, but I don't think she sounds carefree or joyous.

You can hear her sniffling a bit as she speaks. And although she chuckles at a few points, I think the laughter is just a nervous tic. And then there the long pauses where no one says anything, as if everyone including Caroline is just trying to process what has happened.

She's trying to let her employees know them the game is up and Alameda is going to be bankrupt. But I don't think they get it and they keep asking if the company has a viable way forward as a trading firm. There's a bit around the 45:50 mark where one of them asks Caroline if she has the "appetite" to make Alameda whole. She hesitatingly claims she does, but of course she knows (if they don't) that Alameda has no future because it has fraudulently stolen billions from FTX's customers.

Thanks for the link.
It's a matter of interpretation, but I don't think she sounds carefree or joyous.

You can hear her sniffling a bit as she speaks. And although she chuckles at a few points, I think the laughter is just a nervous tic. And then there the long pauses where no one says anything, as if everyone including Caroline is just trying to process what has happened.

She's trying to let her employees know them the game is up and Alameda is going to be bankrupt. But I don't think they get it and they keep asking if the company has a viable way forward as a trading firm. There's a bit around the 45:50 mark where one of them asks Caroline if she has the "appetite" to make Alameda whole. She hesitatingly claims she does, but of course she knows (if they don't) that Alameda has no future because it has fraudulently stolen billions from FTX's customers.
I agree, I think she was just wearing her CEO hat, she knows all 'her' people are going to be out of work any minute now.

The whole scenario that an unnamed employee 'hired three days earlier', made the recording, and then forwarded it to a longer-term employee, who sent it to the police, attracts my interest.

Just speculation, but I feel as though there must have been an FBI investigation by that time, and the way they work is to get an insider to turn informant and make recordings, so they can twist the arm of the next level to cooperate, and so on, until they've got the kingpin. So I think this recording has the FBI's fingerprints all over it.

JMO

The federal court of New York and Judge Lewis Kaplan's courtroom saw massive revelations on Sam Bankman-Fried's criminal trial this week, and this was because of the three days of testimony from his ex-girlfriend, Caroline Ellison. The former Alameda Research CEO and previous partner of the controversial executive has given the world shocking revelations of unknown events or happenings within the company.

There is more at link
[...]

13 October 2023, 08:10 pm

• SBF's lawyers are petitioning the court to grant him access to more Adderall during his trial.
  • Lawyers said he wouldn't be able "to concentrate at the level he ordinarily would" without it.
  • They suggested adjourning the trial for a day if the court can't provide the necessary medication.

There's been an an Adderall shortage for quite awhile. This is the most recent article on it that I could find.
ETA: this also addresses @watergirl62's post (BTW, ITA with her sympathies, MOO)
A group of House Democrats is calling on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to explain what the agency is doing to address the shortage of Adderall in the U.S. that was declared exactly one year ago.

Led by Rep. Abigail Spanberger (Va.), Democratic lawmakers wrote a letter stating their “continued concern” over the ongoing shortage of mixed amphetamine salts, better known as Adderall.

[...]

Last year, Teva Pharmaceuticals, the largest supplier of Adderall in the U.S., cited ongoing supply disruptions and issues at one of its manufacturing facilities for the shortage. Though this issue has since been resolved, federal regulators recently said the U.S. is still feeling the impact of this disruption and that “record-high prescription rates” of stimulant products are worsening the problem.

Last edited:
There's been an an Adderall shortage for quite awhile. This is the most recent article on it that I could find.
ETA: this also addresses @watergirl62's post (BTW, ITA with her sympathies, MOO)

A group of House Democrats is calling on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to explain what the agency is doing to address the shortage of Adderall in the U.S. that was declared exactly one year ago.

Led by Rep. Abigail Spanberger (Va.), Democratic lawmakers wrote a letter stating their “continued concern” over the ongoing shortage of mixed amphetamine salts, better known as Adderall.

[...]

Last year, Teva Pharmaceuticals, the largest supplier of Adderall in the U.S., cited ongoing supply disruptions and issues at one of its manufacturing facilities for the shortage. Though this issue has since been resolved, federal regulators recently said the U.S. is still feeling the impact of this disruption and that “record-high prescription rates” of stimulant products are worsening the problem.
This was discussed in the Lindsay Shiver thread. I gather that some have switched to other meds due to the long-term shortage. No disrespect to anyone else who needs the same meds. But why should SBF get an unlimited supply when nobody else does?

Smells like entitlement to me. Poor SBF, boo f-n hoo. I bet he is not the only one who is unable to get their prescribed meds since FTX imploded. Is "uninterrupted access" even a thing?
I think it's potentially more calculated than that, there are hint that his lawyers will try a 'ADHD defense'.

Kind of like Murdaugh claiming his alleged opioid addiction was responsible for his thefts and lies.

JMO

I think it's potentially more calculated than that, there are hint that his lawyers will try a 'ADHD defense'.

Kind of like Murdaugh claiming his alleged opioid addiction was responsible for his thefts and lies.

JMO
That is where my mind went too. Borrowing a page from Murdaugh.

Just finished the Michael Lewis book about SBK , Going Infinite: The Rise and Fall of a New Tycoon. I thought it was a pretty good read that got bogged down midway with complex investing schemes way over my pay grade. The beginning chapters about his childhood and college years were most interesting. By the end, he reminded me of a discombobulated three-year-old. jmo

The federal court of New York and Judge Lewis Kaplan's courtroom saw massive revelations on Sam Bankman-Fried's criminal trial this week, and this was because of the three days of testimony from his ex-girlfriend, Caroline Ellison. The former Alameda Research CEO and previous partner of the controversial executive
I'm I'm going to do a quick and simple edit on the text of this article for my sanity.

"...and this was because of the three days of testimony from his ex-girlfriend, Caroline Ellison. The former Alameda Research CEO and previous partner of the controversial executive has given the world shocking revelations of unknown events or happenings within the company." This immediately identifies and centers CE as THE major player at Alameda Research, in the thick of stealing and defrauding her fellow humans of billions of dollars.

If an article or portion of an article is discussing what she knew about SB-F in the context of her personal relationship with him, then yes, identify that relationship.

And as I have to frequently remind myself because it's hard to grasp: a billion is a hundred million dollars.

And as I have to frequently remind myself because it's hard to grasp: a billion is a hundred million dollars.

A billion is actually a thousand millions.

To drive home the difference between a million and a billion, here's a little thought exercise:
If you could earn $1 every second, it would take you about 11 1/2 days to become a millionaire. It would take over 31 years to become a billionaire!

A billion is actually a thousand millions.
Well, there you go and thanks for the correction and the thought exercise on how a million and a billion compare.

Goes back to the point that I really can't grasp this amount of money and they are accused of stealing MULTIPLE billions. I may have to default to the indefinite "gazillions" to make it make sense.

Well, there you go and thanks for the correction and the thought exercise on how a million and a billion compare.

Goes back to the point that I really can't grasp this amount of money and they are accused of stealing MULTIPLE billions. I may have to default to the indefinite "gazillions" to make it make sense.
Most people can't and google is your friend. ;)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back