NY NY - Sheila Shephard, 22, Saratoga Springs, stabbed in bed,23 Nov 1980

dotr

Reaction score
http://wgna.com/help-solve-a-38-year-old-saratoga-cold-case-reopened/
"In November 1980, Sheila Shephard was found dead in Saratoga Springs inside of her apartment on Church St. The Saratoga Springs Police found that she had been asphyxiated with a wad of clothing and that she was stabbed in her abdomen after being tied to the bed. Shephard was only found after she didn't show up to a secretarial course, according to News10.

The Saratoga Springs Police, State Police, and FBI tried to follow leads but were unable to identify who did this to Shephard, especially with the lack of technology available.

Now, 40-years-later, Lt. Robert Jillson of the Saratoga Springs Police Department is reaching out to NEWS 10 ABC for copies of old stories. Their hope is to use the footage from the media to reopen the case and finally find the person who did this. A new Investigator, Chris Callahan, has joined in the reopening and is talking to former detectives to get any potential new evidence."

June 22 2014
rbbm
Cold cases revisited: Unsolved homicides, missing persons challenge local law enforcement
"Pamela A. DeVizzio was 28 when she was last seen leaving a Caroline Street bar in Saratoga Springs on July 5, 1988. Her body was found next morning in a ditch on Putnam Road in Northumberland.

The oldest local unsolved major crime is the Nov. 23, 1980 murder of 22-year-old Sheila Shepherd, who was found gagged to death with a strip of clothing, and stabbed with a five-inch long steak knife, at her 125 Church St. apartment.

Like Hammond and Christina White, there are similarities between the DeVizzio case and Shepherd’s. Both women were last seen on Caroline Street and frequented similar bars.

“Somebody from that crowd, I’m sure, knows,” former city police Lt. Thomas W. Mitchell told The Saratogian in 1995.

That’s why investigators, with whatever time and manpower is available, keep searching for clues to these unsolved cases."

“You never know,” Zurlo said.

Lengthy article, rbbm.
Spa City police take a fresh look at a cold case
"SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. – Spa City police, aided by modern technology such as DNA testing, are taking a fresh look at a gruesome unsolved murder that shocked the area 38 years ago this week.

Sheila Shepherd’s nude, lifeless body, with hands and feet tied to bedposts, was found in her second-floor apartment at 125 Church St. two days after she was killed, at about 2 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 23, 1980.

The cause of death was asphyxiation, from choking on a blouse shoved in her mouth. A four-inch steak knife protruded from her abdomen, but it’s believed the stabbing occurred after death because she didn’t bleed from the wound."

"Shepherd’s case is one of only two unsolved Saratoga Springs murders. The other was Tammy McCormick, in 1986".
"Even more chilling, the unsolved case means the murderer might still be living locally."
"Boisseau said she believes Shepherd spent Saturday night downtown and was walking home when she stopped at The Hub, a popular former Church Street bar.
After that, no one knows what happened.

Was Shepherd followed home?

Was someone waiting for her?"
"An FBI psychological profile compiled a year after the murder concluded that Shepherd’s assailant is someone she knew, who lived in the city.

“I don’t have a person that I would bet with any certainty who did it,” Callahan said. “For anybody who remembers that weekend, or remembers her, whether they think it’s crazy or not we’re more than willing to listen. It could be something like that that takes us on the right path. Somebody got away with murder.”

I bet this wasn't the first time this guy sexually assaulted a woman. Likely he has priors for rape or at least was accused of it. I get a serial killer vibe here. Someone who has a deep rage and hate for women.

Possibly he moved away or travels a lot. I hope they look for him nationwide. Is there a database for MO of killers?

If he was in her age group or slightly older he would be in his 60s now if he's still alive.

Saratoga Springs police take fresh look at unsolved homicide from 1980
VIDEO
Nov 28 2018
"It was 38 years ago this week that Sheila Shepherd's naked body was tied to her bed at the hands and feet. Her blouse shoved in her mouth. There was also a knife stuck in her abdomen."
"The shocking nature of the killing made it front page news for weeks and months. Now, because of the work of Callahan and Wilson, people are talking again.

"We just want to feel like we've done everything that we can, submitted every piece of evidence that we have access to," said Callahan, who has enlisted the help of the state police crime lab.

DNA evidence wasn't used in 1980, but they're hoping some of the items recovered from Shepherd's apartment will lead them in the right direction.

"There's items that we hope might have some kind of DNA evidence," said Wilson.

Shepherd had a daughter who was 3 years old at the time of the murder. The investigators hope to one day tell her that they've identified her mother's killer".

I bet this wasn't the first time this guy sexually assaulted a woman. Likely he has priors for rape or at least was accused of it. I get a serial killer vibe here. Someone who has a deep rage and hate for women.

Possibly he moved away or travels a lot. I hope they look for him nationwide. Is there a database for MO of killers?

If he was in her age group or slightly older he would be in his 60s now if he's still alive.
rbbm.
Just a thought..
These Toronto cold cases comes to mind because they also occurred in the early 80's , victim tied to her own bed and knife left lodged in body. Also in recent years LE has learned that both women in this case frequented the same bar/rstrt.similar to the women referenced up thread.
fwiw, imo, speculation.
CANADA - Canada - Susan Tice, 45, & Erin Gilmour, 22, Toronto, Aug & Dec 1983

From my true crime meet up, which is local to the case:

I'm super excited to announce that Lance and Tim, the dudes of Crawlspace, are doing a very special episode of their weekly evening broadcast about Sheila Shepherd...and we are all invited!

This event is open to the public.

IF YOU NEED A REFRESHER ON THIS CASE
TAKE A PEEK BELOW

You know what really struck me when speaking with the Crawlspace folks? They seemed sincere and legit and also sincere. If you want to hear a really extensive exploration of the case, you should listen to the episodes below or do a little google hunting (or just email Liz...she's got ya!).

If you have questions or comments, there is a chat room element tomorrow! I KNOW LIKE THIS IS REAL LIFE

Episode 1 - The Unsolved Murder of Sheila Shepherd
Episode 2 - In Saratoga Springs
Episode 3 - From the Case File
Episode 4 - Aunt Terrie
Episode 5 - Sheila's Network
Episode 6 - Stolen Flowers on Sheila's Grave
Episode 7 - Original Investigator Mitchell

HERE ARE THE DETAILS TO JOIN!!!!
Wednesday, November 25 at 9PM
We will NOT be meeting at our usual time and place.

CLICK HERE TO JOIN:
GetVokl- Group Video Conversations - Join A Vokl

Bumping for Shelia. Someone has GOT to know something.
14,958 days is a LONG time to keep a secret....
We’ve reached. 15,330 days - 42 years to the day that Sheila was brutally killed and taken from her friends and family, including her young child. Her family is still out there, hurting and longing for answers that will bring about a resolution to this case.

In November of 2018 her case was reopened by Saratoga Springs PD. Now, 4 years later, no update since that announcement- despite evidence sent to the state lab to check for viable DNA. I can’t imagine that it would be 4 years before getting those results- whether there was any viable DNA to test. The public is overdue for answers. Sheila is overdue for answers.

2019 rbbm
“It’s a very interesting case; very different from anything else you hear about or things we get on a daily basis here,” said Callahan.

A big part of why it’s so unique is the disturbing way Sheila Shepherd’s body was discovered inside her apartment on that November day back in 1980.

“Spread eagle, both hands and both feet tied to the bed frame. She was covered, died of asphyxiation, but then has a knife plunged into her stomach postmortem,” described Wilson.''

“The doctor they talked to said it would be at least a half an hour after she’s been dead before she’s struck with the knife,” said Callahan.

This leads them to conclude that the suspect was someone she knew, a haunting theory for investigators and loved ones who want to see this case closed and justice served.''

$50,000 reward just announced.

Shenandoah Brier Apr 19, 2024​

''Boiseau discovered his niece's body with arms and legs spread-eagle and tied to her four bed posts naked, a gag in her mouth and a five-inch steak knife sticking out of her chest. Boiseau had been called to check on Shepherd after she hadn’t shown up to the Worldwide Educational Services school at 87 Church St. where she had been studying to become a clerk-typist for two days.

Shepherd was recently separated from her husband Jack Shepherd.
The coroner ruled that Sheila Shepherd died of asphyxiation, not a stabbing, after her blouse was shoved down her throat.''
1713627214255.png

April 26 2024
''SARATOGA SPRINGS —The family of Sheila Shepherd is offering a $50,000 reward to anyone that can provide credible evidence that leads to the positive identification, and/or arrest of the individual(s) responsible for her murder, according to a press release and image released by the Saratoga Springs Police Department April 19. ''

''Numerous interviews and pieces of evidence processed in the investigation have yielded few leads, police said, adding that the investigation has led to a theory that the individual(s) responsible for this crime were known to the victim.

If you have any information that could lead to the identification and/or arrest call 518-584-TIPS (8477), or email: tips@saratogapolice.org.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mysonsmother
Back