NY NY - Sneha Ann Philip, 31, New York City, 10 Sep 2001

Where I've personally seen issues were physicians . . . reporting required issues to their medical board which cratered their careers.
You'd think that those doctors would have grounds for civil suits based on retaliation from management. I have to think that there are some whistle-blower protections in place.
Her case was investigated by the NYPD, by a retired FBI agent who was her husband's PI, and the case litigated through a couple levels of the NY Court system. There was never any evidence found that she ran off. Not one bit of preparation through her computer, bank records, phone, etc. Nor was there ever a hint of evidence that she relocated, changed her name, etc. It is possible but not probable.
Here's a wild idea (and even I find it far fetched). Maybe the person with whom Sneha spent the evening on 9/10 died in the terrorist attacks, but Sneha didn't. If that person was a woman, maybe Sneha realized that she had access to the woman's passports and other documents and that the woman had no more use for them. Maybe she took advantage of the situation and assumed the woman's identity, at least long enough to leave the country.

Like I said, even I don't believe that's what occurred, but I won't call it impossible.

I do think that Sneha could have been thinking about running away for a long time as sort of a daydream to fill the idle moments. Maybe the shock of the 9/11 attacks gave her the impetus she needed to go through with it. She may have worked out a plan in her mind long before 9/11 even if she never made any actual preparations.

Last edited:
You'd think that those doctors would have grounds for civil suits based on retaliation from management. I have to think that there are some whistle-blower protections in place.
Well the state medical boards regulate their licensure and the doctors have to abide by the board's regulations to have the license.

If they are an employed physician they will often be required to self report to the board by the terms of their contract with their employer. If there is discipline at the place of business it can escalate up to the board, or not. But the medical boards also have rules and self reporting can be a big one so even if you're an independent doc you're still highly regulated and expected to self report legal issues.

There is an entire legal industry set up to help doctors with this kind of stuff. Highly specialized attorneys who can litigate and also have connections to the state board. The provider is at the mercy of the board so it is helpful to have legal representation with connections.

None of this stuff is inexpensive. If you're doing something through the PHP, let's say the 12 week inpatient program. That's $60-70K out of pocket plus you're not seeing patients for 3 months so for in internal med doc that's another $60k in lost wages. And that is before you hire a medical board attorney for representation. You're probably burning 6 months wages at least (pre tax) just to be able to continue to practice medicine. If you're self employed with a staff, you better have access to a credit line so you can bring in a temp to see your patients while you're dealing with your issues.

There are other career paths these days that pay just as well and want the MD credential without the license. I listed a bunch in an earlier post but I see a lot of docs that I suspect had licensure challenges employed in informatics and other kinds of healthcare IT companies. Why? They've got the experience with the EMR/EHR world and can help develop a product or a data application. That's what I don't get about Sneha saying to Dr. E that she did not want to be a doc. She could have done the year, been licensed and then been able to do whatever she wanted. She could have gone into a number of fields and been wildly successful. With her artistic talents she might have found that far more rewarding than simply being an internal med doc seeing patients.

MOO

Here's an old article, 20 years old, relating all the buildings that were destroyed or extensively damaged during the 9/11 attack. It's interesting to note, that some people died in other buildings that were on the periphery of the WTC.

As stated in the following article, the population of residents living in lower Manhattan numbered about 33,000, now it's about double. Most of them were rentals. As an area that is associated with daytime activity where workers are coming from outside the area, 33,000 people is a lot of people to have to track down and account for.

I listened to the Podcast Missing on 9/11 episode 6. It was interesting to listen to the doctor who worked with Sneha. She sounded very genuine in her appraisal of Sneha's work ethic, her passion, or lack thereof, for her profession, and her personality specifically her inappropriate behavior from a sexual point of view. Every characteristic she mentioned is completely at odds with the persona that her family has put into the narrative. Out of the two, I believe the doctor. I know her family were Christian. I wondered if Sneha was mixed race but I was reading about Indian Christians - most of them live in Kerala and it is a tradition that many of their names are Anglicized names from the Bible. Another thing I read was that being Christian doesn't always exempt you from the caste system in India. Many Indian Christians believe they are descendants of Brahmins which were the apex of the caste system. I bring that up because I wondered if there was some aspect where Sneha's behavior - drinking, being intoxicated while at work, going to lesbian bars, staying out all night, sabotaging her chosen profession (probably because it was chosen for her) that could be seen as bringing dishonour onto her family.

All of the speculation regarding the demise of Sneha either as a victim of 9/11 (I am less likely to believe she went to help the injured) or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or on Sept 10 either through foul play, misadventure, or running away? All have arguments pro and con.

I go on this website called lipstickalley.com which is basically a black women's site where they discuss everything from how black victims get less airtime than white victims to whether big butts are beautiful. It can be witty, hilariously funny, sobering and profane. There is a thread about Sneha. When reading it it was obvious that many people had never heard of her but became transfixed by her story. Repeatedly it was mentioned what she bought on the 10th - linens, lingerie, pantyhose, a dress and shoes, $550 worth.

She'd already lost one internship and was well on her way to losing another based on her work history and alcohol related issues. I've never heard anything about Sneha's life before she became an intern and married Ron. I've never heard any anecdotes from her life as a student, either in high school or university. Was she a party animal, a social butterfly or a studious nerd? Did all the issues that Sneha seemed to accumulate occur after she started her internship or married Ron? Were they related to her dissatisfaction with her career trajectory or being unhappy in the relationship? Or could it be something else?

There are several indicators of bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorders which can be triggered by past sexual abuse. One is hypersexuality which can manifest itself in certain ways - inappropriate sexual behaviors. Another is out of control spending. It would be ironic that an individual who worked in a medical environment, who married a doctor, whose father was a doctor, exhibited many indicators of a mental illness and they were all ignored or overlooked because her behavior was the issue not the cause.

Here's another link to a story that was written by an award winning journalist who was a classmate of Sneha at Johns Hopkins University.

Last edited:
Here's an old article, 20 years old, relating all the buildings that were destroyed or extensively damaged during the 9/11 attack. It's interesting to note, that some people died in other buildings that were on the periphery of the WTC.

As stated in the following article, the population of residents living in lower Manhattan numbered about 33,000, now it's about double. Most of them were rentals. As an area that is associated with daytime activity where workers are coming from outside the area, 33,000 people is a lot of people to have to track down and account for.

I listened to the Podcast Missing on 9/11 episode 6. It was interesting to listen to the doctor who worked with Sneha. She sounded very genuine in her appraisal of Sneha's work ethic, her passion, or lack thereof, for her profession, and her personality specifically her inappropriate behavior from a sexual point of view. Every characteristic she mentioned is completely at odds with the persona that her family has put into the narrative. Out of the two, I believe the doctor. I know her family were Christian. I wondered if Sneha was mixed race but I was reading about Indian Christians - most of them live in Kerala and it is a tradition that many of their names are Anglicized names from the Bible. Another thing I read was that being Christian doesn't always exempt you from the caste system in India. Many Indian Christians believe they are descendants of Brahmins which were the apex of the caste system. I bring that up because I wondered if there was some aspect where Sneha's behavior - drinking, being intoxicated while at work, going to lesbian bars, staying out all night, sabotaging her chosen profession (probably because it was chosen for her) that could be seen as bringing dishonour onto her family.

All of the speculation regarding the demise of Sneha either as a victim of 9/11 (I am less likely to believe she went to help the injured) or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or on Sept 10 either through foul play, misadventure, or running away? All have arguments pro and con.

I go on this website called lipstickalley.com which is basically a black women's site where they discuss everything from how black victims get less airtime than white victims to whether big butts are beautiful. It can be witty, hilariously funny, sobering and profane. There is a thread about Sneha. When reading it it was obvious that many people had never heard of her but became transfixed by her story. Repeatedly it was mentioned what she bought on the 10th - linens, lingerie, pantyhose, a dress and shoes, $550 worth.

She'd already lost one internship and was well on her way to losing another based on her work history and alcohol related issues. I've never heard anything about Sneha's life before she became an intern and married Ron. I've never heard any anecdotes from her life as a student, either in high school or university. Was she a party animal, a social butterfly or a studious nerd? Did all the issues that Sneha seemed to accumulate occur after she started her internship or married Ron? Were they related to her dissatisfaction with her career trajectory or being unhappy in the relationship? Or could it be something else?

There are several indicators of bipolar disorder or borderline personality disorders which can be triggered by past sexual abuse. One is hypersexuality which can manifest itself in certain ways - inappropriate sexual behaviors. Another is out of control spending. It would be ironic that an individual who worked in a medical environment, who married a doctor, whose father was a doctor, exhibited many indicators of a mental illness and they were all ignored or overlooked because her behavior was the issue not the cause.

Here's another link to a story that was written by an award winning journalist who was a classmate of Sneha at Johns Hopkins University.

Yeah the Natalie Pompilio article is a nice change up from some of the other coverage. But there is not a lot out there about her time in school, or even her sabbatical year she took off. There are certain aspects I am familiar with and which you brought up about BPD that do make sense for some of her behaviors, not so sure about borderline. But I am not a therapist. I know @BeginnerSleuther is and maybe she can weigh in?

On a side note about the lingerie and sheets purchase being "Evidence": What?! How!?
Someone also posted about how she left her place then shopped at Century 21 then failed to return those items to her home so they MUST have been intended for use with someone else/elsewhere. I disagree. If I am on my way somewhere and stop to shop, make purchases between point A (Home) and B (Intended Destination), I am not returinging to Point A after stopping in between to simply put stuff back in my place before I carry on to point B ... I'll take those purchases with me and bring them home with me when I return there. The assumption that she didn't return home with them prior to going to her destination means they were to be used with someone/somewhere else is just that - an assumption that is not borne out in reality of how we do things. I don't bring my prescription or new shoes home before I head somewhere else to do something else. It goes home with me when I'm ready to go home.
Snipped.

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. Do your shopping trips involve carrying to large shopping bags around downtown Manhattan? If she had been driving, sure, she could have just tossed the bags in her trunk, but she wasn't; she was on foot. Plus, she was less than a quarter of a mile from her apartment. I would argue that virtually anyone walking around Manhattan would be far more likely to take two large shopping bags to an apartment less than a quarter of a mile away than to lug them around for the entire evening and overnight—unless the intention was to use the items in the bags elsewhere.

Snipped.

I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. Do your shopping trips involve carrying to large shopping bags around downtown Manhattan? If she had been driving, sure, she could have just tossed the bags in her trunk, but she wasn't; she was on foot. Plus, she was less than a quarter of a mile from her apartment. I would argue that virtually anyone walking around Manhattan would be far more likely to take two large shopping bags to an apartment less than a quarter of a mile away than to lug them around for the entire evening and overnight—unless the intention was to use the items in the bags elsewhere.
I agree with @Vern. Lots of assumptions in the speculation that she needed to take them home or that she intended to use them while she was out. Truth is, we just don't know and we never will.

I agree with @Vern. Lots of assumptions in the speculation that she needed to take them home or that she intended to use them while she was out. Truth is, we just don't know and we never will.
We may never know for certain, but we can make some deductions about what is probable.
In my opinion, it's probable that Sneha would have taken two large shopping bags of purchases to an apartment less than a quarter of a mile away rather than lugging them around for the evening unless she planned to use the items in the location where she was headed.

We may never know for certain, but we can make some deductions about what is probable.
In my opinion, it's probable that Sneha would have taken two large shopping bags of purchases to an apartment less than a quarter of a mile away rather than lugging them around for the evening unless she planned to use the items in the location where she was headed.
Or, a more plausible explanation, she took them to where she spent the night because she expected to take them to her apartment when she returned to it. Why? The combination of items: linens and a couple of pairs of shoes. It doesn't seem like items to be used on a night out.

Or, a more plausible explanation, she took them to where she spent the night because she expected to take them to her apartment when she returned to it. Why? The combination of items: linens and a couple of pairs of shoes. It doesn't seem like items to be used on a night out.
It doesn't sound more plausible to me, so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that point.

It would help to know more about the linens and lingerie. Did she buy a silk nighty or granny panties? Were they white cotton percale sheets or dark satin sheets?

I don't think that the details have been shared.

As someone who lives in NYC, I (as well as everyone I know) always take my purchases back to my apartment before going somewhere else. Especially when I'm going to a store near my apartment (like Sneha was). The only time I will go to a store and then directly go somewhere else is if I'm planning on using it where I'm going (like buying a bottle of wine to bring to a dinner at a friend's apartment). Personally, I don't see Sneha lugging a shopping bag around downtown Manhattan unless she was planning on using the items she purchased at her intended destination, especially considering her apartment was so close to the Century 21.

As someone who lives in NYC, I (as well as everyone I know) always take my purchases back to my apartment before going somewhere else. Especially when I'm going to a store near my apartment (like Sneha was). The only time I will go to a store and then directly go somewhere else is if I'm planning on using it where I'm going (like buying a bottle of wine to bring to a dinner at a friend's apartment). Personally, I don't see Sneha lugging a shopping bag around downtown Manhattan unless she was planning on using the items she purchased at her intended destination, especially considering her apartment was so close to the Century 21.
You are all still assuming that her apartment was closer to the store than the place she was going to. It's possible that place was closer and ergo she took her stuff there and planned on taking it home with her the next day.

I see zero 'weirdness' in not returning the purchases to her apartment first --- certainly not enough to be 'evidence' that she was escaping and evading 'life' to start a new identity elsewhere - especially any kind of 'pre-planned' escape! Else, why buy the stuff in the first place and have to lug it to 'wherever' it is you presume she's started her new life at? That's even more weird/distance to cart the stuff than home to her apartment or the 'secret' overnight location and really, really, really makes zero sense (so much so that it has now cemented in my mind that she did not disappear herself).

Last edited:
You are all still assuming that her apartment was closer to the store than the place she was going to. It's possible that place was closer and ergo she took her stuff there and planned on taking it home with her the next day.

I see zero 'weirdness' in not returning the purchases to her apartment first --- certainly not enough to be 'evidence' that she was escaping and evading 'life' to start a new identity elsewhere - especially any kind of 'pre-planned' escape! Else, why buy the stuff in the first place and have to lug it to 'wherever' it is you presume she's started her new life at? That's even more weird/distance to cart the stuff than home to her apartment or the 'secret' overnight location and really, really, really makes zero sense (so much so that it has now cemented in my mind that she did not disappear herself).
What makes zero sense to me is how someone could willfully discount the perspective of someone who lives in Manhattan and who is familiar with the lifestyle there and with how things are normally done.
(I have to say that I find it a bit distracting when someone uses an intransitive verb like disappear as if it were a transitive or reflexive verb, but I digress.)
We know that Sneha was spending the night away from home at times. We know that in some cases she was going home with women that she had met at lesbian bars (in order to create artwork, supposedly). Her husband believes that she would often spend the night at her brother's residence or at her cousin's residence. Maybe that was the case.
It appears that Sneha could have been leading a double life of sorts long before she disappeared.
It is fairly evident that Sneha did not feel obligated to keep her husband informed of her plans. We know that she was facing some significant stressors in her life, including a court appearance on the day she was last seen.
When I look at the big picture, I see someone smart enough and uninhibited enough to have assumed a new identity if she had wanted to. I do not see her lugging her shopping bags to a bar or nightclub, so it seems evident that she planned to spend the night somewhere other than her own apartment. There is no evidence on any of her known devices that she communicated with anyone about doing so; therefore, any communication about her plans was likely face to face or perhaps by use of an unknown burner phone. If she had planned to spend the night alone—at a hotel, let's say—then there should have been a hold on one of her credit cards for the deposit.
I also do not see Sneha lugging her shopping bags to the top of the World Trade Center to eat breakfast. That would strike me as unusual, especially at an elite restaurant like Windows on the World.
People are free to cling to their dearly-held theories; I won't lose any sleep if others disagree with my assessment of the evidence.

Last edited:
Snipped.

I have to disagree quite strenuously. We know that she purchased lingerie and linens and took them somewhere other than her own home. That suggests to me that she was leading a double life of some kind prior to her disappearance. I see that as a potential prelude to pulling a vanishing act.

"double life" is a highly charged term, making it sounds like she's some kind of spy or putting up extended web of deception.

Buying items and taking them to someone else's place, along with other things going on in her life, is possible 'motive' for wanting to disappear, but does not show the 'opportunity' to do so. There is a huge leap from having personal and professional struggles -> wanting to disappear and/or start a new identity. IMO the evidence for that theory is extremely tenuous and not well substantiated.

This doesn't mean that I fully embrace/believe in the family's theory that she died in the 9/11 attacks, just that the 'new identity' idea is extremely out there.

What makes zero sense to me is how someone could willfully discount the perspective of someone who lives in Manhattan and who is familiar with the lifestyle there and with how things are normally done.
SBM. IMO you're simply painting with far too large a brush with a statement like this. Have you been to Manhattan? It's not filled with millions of people doing exactly the same thing, nor was it in 2001. It's a diverse place, the City that Never Sleeps. Different strokes for different folks. People do things differently from each other there. Assuming Sneha would have done something because a particular Manhattanite who likely never knew her said so is a pretty myopic view.

SBM. IMO you're simply painting with far too large a brush with a statement like this. Have you been to Manhattan? It's not filled with millions of people doing exactly the same thing, nor was it in 2001. It's a diverse place, the City that Never Sleeps. Different strokes for different folks. People do things differently from each other there. Assuming Sneha would have done something because a particular Manhattanite who likely never knew her said so is a pretty myopic view.
I don't think it's completely beyond the realm of possibility, but I do think it isn't particularly likely. Lugging a shopping bag around crowded streets or taking it on the subway is a pain, which is why I think that if she was going somewhere else and wasn't planning on using the items she purchased, she may have opted to drop them off at her apartment (which was very close by) rather than drag them around with her. The grocery store I go to is the same distance from my apartment as Century 21 was from Sneha's apartment, and unless I am going at 8AM on a Sunday before most people are out-and-about, walking back with a bag of groceries is quite a task.

The sidewalks are relatively narrow, so I'm constantly dodging things. I'm not exaggerating when I say that every time I make the 4 block walk back to my apartment I have to dodge all of the following things at least once: people loitering on the sidewalk, groups that stop in the middle of the sidewalk because they're lost, garbage bags, discarded furniture, open cellar doors, people on bikes, bikes being stored on metal fences, people going in and out of stores and apartments, newspaper boxes, trash cans, people walking dogs, and strollers. If Sneha was living in one of the more residential areas of Manhattan, like the Upper West Side, where sidewalks are significantly wider and there are generally fewer people (sidewalks on the side streets in the more residential areas are normally pretty empty), I wouldn't think it was quite as odd, but given the area she was living in, it would be a pain to carrying around a shopping bag if she didn't have to. Not to mention carrying a shopping bag from a department store like Century 21 makes you a more obvious target for a robbery.

Is it impossible that she chose to carry the bag even if she didn't plan on using the items she purchased that night? Absolutely not, it's definitely a possibility, and I can understand why beliefs differ on this point. I'm just not sure why she would subject herself to the extra annoyance of carrying a shopping bag around lower Manhattan unnecessarily.

Just my two cents as someone who lives in lower Manhattan and previously lived in the Upper West Side.

Yes, I have been to Manhattan.

Unfortunately, I never got to see the Twin Towers before they fell.

I was on a business trip to New Jersey during the summer of 2001. I actually wanted to drive to Manhattan to visit the WTC, but the person I was driving with didn't want to. I figured I'd be able to see it some other time.

I've been out to eat in a fair number of restaurants in Manhattan—none as fancy as WOTW—and I don't remember seeing people bringing large shopping bags to their tables with them. That would look out of place in a hole-in-the-wall diner in Hell's Kitchen let alone a place like WOTW where a man would not be seated unless he was wearing a suit jacket.

And it isn't about assuming anything. It's about probabilities. Unless she was planning to use the contents in the location where she was heading, it is probable that Sneha would have dropped her shopping bags off at her apartment. That is what most people would have done under the circumstances.

It is improbable that she would have lugged the bags around all evening if the purchases were meant for home use. It is even more improbable that she would have hauled them up to Windows on the World on the 107th floor the next morning.

Last edited:
Yeah the Natalie Pompilio article is a nice change up from some of the other coverage. But there is not a lot out there about her time in school, or even her sabbatical year she took off. There are certain aspects I am familiar with and which you brought up about BPD that do make sense for some of her behaviors, not so sure about borderline. But I am not a therapist. I know @BeginnerSleuther is and maybe she can weigh in?

It would be inappropriate to diagnose anyone with anything without evaluating them. In general, symptoms of borderline personality disorder and bipolar disorder are similar with many overlaps, including impulsivity, irritability, and aggression. This can include hypersexual behavior, addictive behaviors such as gambling or substance use, increased energy, decreased need for sleep, and so on. Bipolar disorder is a spectrum of illnesses, some more mild than others, and requires period(s) of time that are distinct from the person's usual behavior in which the above traits are present whereas there is no such requirement for any personality disorder as it is their personality.

Just for the record though, I don't do therapy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back