NY- Squatters suspected of killing woman in NYC apartment, stuffing her body in duffle bag, police sources say

JoeFromLB

Reaction score
According to police sources, Vitels was killed after she traveled to New York City from Spain to get the apartment ready to be occupied a family friend. It had been vacant for months after the death of her mother.

Police sources say Vitels didn't know when she went to the apartment that two squatters had been living there. When she arrived, she could be seen on surveillance video coming and going from the apartment.

Police believe the two suspects returned to the apartment after Vitels arrived, surprised and killed her by beating her to death.

This whole squatting thing is outrageous. Infuriating. Obscene. Vulgar. It’s an affront to democracy, civil rights, and the rule of law. It is unconstitutional in the opinion of most people (jmo). Wrong on every level. I am shocked that more dispossessed homeowners aren't arming themselves and putting and end to it (although I am not endorsing that solution)

“Squatters” are nothing but thieves imo, so “squatters rights” means “thieves’ rights”. To most people, the value/equity they have in their homes/properties represents most of their net worth. How can the grand theft of somebody’s entire life’s savings/net worth not only not be prosecuted, but defended?! Who made up these laws?!

If there are squatters / thieves’ rights (after 30 days) for dwellings, how come there aren’t “jacker’s rights” for car thieves who have avoided being caught for 30 days? How ‘bout for serial rapists? Should their crimes fade away and not be prosecutable if they haven’t been arrested in the first 30 days? What is going on?!

Squatters rights don’t need to be reduced, they need to be eliminated. Entirely. What is wrong with this world? No, you can’t just move in! No you can’t just steal somebody’s home!! Why does this even need to be pointed out to some people, lawmakers and thieves? It boggles the mind

This is a horribly tragic situation for Nadia Vitels and her family and friends. A sweet lady by all accounts; beaten to death in her own home and stuffed in a duffel bag. They left in her vehicle. RIP Nadia Vitels

Imo Nadia’s blood is on the hands of the legislators who wrote and passed the delusional, misguided, illogical, and immoral “squatter’s rights” legislation. They are facilitating violent encounters and creating victims where there would otherwise be none. Imo these legislators should first be required to go to Nadia’s funeral. And then they should have to defend themselves in a civil suit brought by Nadia’s family.

All jmo

This whole squatting thing is outrageous. Infuriating. Obscene. Vulgar. It’s an affront to democracy, civil rights, and the rule of law. It is unconstitutional in the opinion of most people (jmo). Wrong on every level. I am shocked that more dispossessed homeowners aren't arming themselves and putting and end to it (although I am not endorsing that solution)

“Squatters” are nothing but thieves imo, so “squatters rights” means “thieves’ rights”. To most people, the value/equity they have in their homes/properties represents most of their net worth. How can the grand theft of somebody’s entire life’s savings/net worth not only not be prosecuted, but defended?! Who made up these laws?!

If there are squatters / thieves’ rights (after 30 days) for dwellings, how come there aren’t “jacker’s rights” for car thieves who have avoided being caught for 30 days? How ‘bout for serial rapists? Should their crimes fade away and not be prosecutable if they haven’t been arrested in the first 30 days? What is going on?!

Squatters rights don’t need to be reduced, they need to be eliminated. Entirely. What is wrong with this world? No, you can’t just move in! No you can’t just steal somebody’s home!! Why does this even need to be pointed out to some people, lawmakers and thieves? It boggles the mind

This is a horribly tragic situation for Nadia Vitels and her family and friends. A sweet lady by all accounts; beaten to death in her own home and stuffed in a duffel bag. They left in her vehicle. RIP Nadia Vitels

Imo Nadia’s blood is on the hands of the legislators who wrote and passed the delusional, misguided, illogical, and immoral “squatter’s rights” legislation. They are facilitating violent encounters and creating victims where there would otherwise be none. Imo these legislators should first be required to go to Nadia’s funeral. And then they should have to defend themselves in a civil suit brought by Nadia’s family.

All jmo
I had no idea of these outrageous squatters rights laws in NYC.

In New York, squatters have rights after 30 days. That means the property owner can't change the locks on them, can't remove their belongings, and can't cut off the utilities. If they do, the owner could be arrested. Instead, property owners must go through the court system to get rid of them.”

Just 30 days?? And evictions are taking up to 2 years ?? I have no idea how this could ever be passed into law. Ironically, a bill was filed today to request to remove squatters from receiving tenants rights all together.

They actually suggest setting up cameras or hiring someone to check your apartment every 10 days for squatters. That’s epidemic level.

With all the thousands of migrants flooding into NYC this could turn into a disaster.
This poor woman had no idea what was going to happen to her. I hope they capture these killers quickly and prosecute to the max. They can squat in prison cells for the duration of their miserable lives.

Authorities launched a multi-state manhunt for a pair of squatters who may be tied to the murder of a woman whose body was found stuffed inside a duffel bag in her Manhattan apartment.

According to authorities, last Tuesday, 52-year-old Nadia Vitel walked into her apartment building located on East 31st Street in Kips Bay.

The building's super says that surveillance video shows her getting on the elevator to the 19th floor, but that she never came down. Inside days, her family and friends were searching for her.
Nadia-Vitels.jpg

"A friend called and said they hadn't heard from her in a couple of days and asked if I could go up and check, so I went up," said Jean Pompee, the building's supervisor

Jean Pompee, the building's superintendent, told CBS2 she allowed one of Vitel's family members to enter the apartment March 14 after they couldn't reach her. When they got inside, they found her body in a duffle bag, Pompee said.

"The male pointed to the closet, he said he believed that there's a body in the bag," Pompee told the outlet. "And all of her clothes were down, so you really couldn't see the bag. You could see partially, a little bit."

"Pursuant to an ongoing investigation, the Regional Fugitive Task Force is seeking a male and female in regard to this incident," NYPD wrote in an email to USA TODAY.

Investigators believe a man and woman sneaked inside the apartment building. Two days later, Vitels came to the unit she was cleaning for family friends. The same day, she was likely murdered upon encountering the couple inside, police said.

Last edited:
Halley Tejada, 19, and Kensly Alston, 18 were named in this article.
Medvedev remembered his mother as a smart, beautiful and adventurous woman during her funeral at Gutterman's Funeral Home in Woodbury on Monday.

'I remember she showed me a gold medal she had earned in high school back in Russia, a student medal of honor for being top in her class. That medal, for some reason, has always stuck with me. It made me feel proud to be her son and I wanted to earn my gold medals to live up to her,' said Medvedev.

He said his mother had moved to the United States from Russia to attend college in Oklahoma and play tennis, then moved to Miami for graduate school.

What shocks me the most I guess is that 2 teen girls did this. What a senseless way to ruin your lives.

Squatters should have zero rights. Unfortunately, they tend to have more than the owners in most states, and you are sent to trudge through a civil case in court to get them out, which can take months and in some states years.

JMO

What shocks me the most I guess is that 2 teen girls did this. What a senseless way to ruin your lives.

Squatters should have zero rights. Unfortunately, they tend to have more than the owners in most states, and you are sent to trudge through a civil case in court to get them out, which can take months and in some states years.

JMO
It is becoming a massive problem in many states !
And that's so backwards.
If you own a property, no one has a right to essentially steal it from you.

It is becoming a massive problem in many states !
And that's so backwards.
If you own a property, no one has a right to essentially steal it from you.
Tell that to this guy
Leonel Moreno, who has a 500,000-strong online following, offers tips on how to “invade” unoccupied homes and invoke squatter’s rights in the United States through his TikTok videos.
He urges others to take advantage of squatters’ rights and which allow unlawful property occupants rights over the property they occupy without the owner’s consent, in certain circumstances, according to a report by the New York Post.

on Halley's Facebook page she shares a lot of posts for a home improvement business. I wonder if she worked for or with them offering cleaning services after renovations at any point? Would get you access to a lot of apartments and offer opportunity to gather intel about which ones were unoccupied. SHEER SPECULATION on my part

I had no idea of these outrageous squatters rights laws in NYC.

In New York, squatters have rights after 30 days. That means the property owner can't change the locks on them, can't remove their belongings, and can't cut off the utilities. If they do, the owner could be arrested. Instead, property owners must go through the court system to get rid of them.”

Just 30 days?? And evictions are taking up to 2 years ?? I have no idea how this could ever be passed into law. Ironically, a bill was filed today to request to remove squatters from receiving tenants rights all together.

They actually suggest setting up cameras or hiring someone to check your apartment every 10 days for squatters. That’s epidemic level.

NYC has become a cesspool, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici
Back