OH OH - ANTHONY SOWELL, 11 bodies unearthed at his Cleveland home, 2007-09 *dies in prison 2021*

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11/cleveland_rape_crisis_center_t.html

Cleveland Rape Crisis Center to hold community forum about rape and sexual assault

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Rape Crisis Center will hold a community forum about rape and sexual assault to provide information and support to those affected directly or indirectly by the Anthony Sowell case. It will be at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Cleveland Public Library's Mount Pleasant branch, 14000 Kinsman Road.

Executive Director Megan O'Bryan said that the Sowell case represents "a systemic failure in our society on so many levels" and that the forum would raise awareness about gender violence.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11/activists_call_for_dedicated_u.html

Activists call for dedicated unit to find missing people

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Some community activists in Cleveland have called for the formation of a centralized missing persons unit that would investigate all cases of missing persons in Cuyahoga County.

Black On Black Crime, the Task Force for Community Mobilization and Survivors/Victims of Crime have complained for years about how Cleveland police handle cases of missing adults.

It's a common perception in the community that officers don't take the cases seriously enough, since most missing adults turn up unharmed. But the discovery of 11 women's bodies late last month at a house on Imperial Avenue was evidence that sometimes the missing are in peril.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11/families_of_victims_mourn_as_t.html

Families of victims mourn as two more people identified from home on Imperial Avenue

The family of Janice Webb didn't get the call they had feared on Monday, instead it was a knock on the door.

Cleveland police detectives arrived at the house where Webb's family gathered in Cleveland and identified her as the eighth of 11 victims found in and around the Imperial Avenue home of accused killer Anthony Sowell. The name of a ninth victim, Kim Yvette Smith, 44, also was released.

"We didn't want to believe it, but it was always a possibility," said Webb's oldest sister, JoAnn Moore. "This helps us to finally have some closure."

Webb, 49, had been last seen in early June in Lakewood where she lived with her boyfriend.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It had Gloria Walker listed, but they took the name down. Did not say anything on the news, other than that the ninth victim's name was not released yet. That was after the link listed her.

Yeah, I saw it and came over to post the link -- which is when I saw that it had been removed. I went back, and sure enough, the article I had just been looking at had changed.

Fran, thanks for all the links. I'm amazed how the community is pulling together after this. My prayers for all the families, friends, and survivors...

Yeah, I saw it and came over to post the link -- which is when I saw that it had been removed. I went back, and sure enough, the article I had just been looking at had changed.

Fran, thanks for all the links. I'm amazed how the community is pulling together after this. My prayers for all the families, friends, and survivors...

Last night and this morning, they stated on WOIO that the police are pretty sure they know who the 10th victim is. Maybe the news station got their information mixed up yesterday afternoon and that is who they think it may be.

I am glad that someone else saw it. I know that I am not crazy.

Like I said, we'll probably never know the EXTENT of this monsters crimes. From one of the above links.......

interesting,
fran

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11/police_in_north_carolina_revie.html#comments

Posted by beakerless
November 10, 2009, 10:24AM
I was a female Marine at Cherry Point, NC during the time in 1978-1979 when Sowell was there. One night I woke in my room in the all female barracks to find a man dressed in dark clothing, black watch cap and his entire face painted in black cammo paint standing at the foot of my bunk. My waking scared him and he ran down the hallway, popped the screen and climbed out the window with me in hot pursuit screaming at the top of my lungs. The MPs laughed when the Duty NCO called them. They seemed to think it was some kind of panty raid. Prior to that I had been stalked for months by a creepy little Marine and I didn't have a clue who he was. It took months for me to even find out who this guy was and as a green 19 year old kid, I was scared out of my mind. In the fall of 1978 one of my female Marine friends was supposed to have just taken off with two male Marines. Her body was later discovered in Texas. Her throat had been slit from ear to ear. There is a real reason and need to look into Sowells activities while he was in the Corps.

As for the person who made crackhead remark. Drug addiction can be cured, you're stupidity is probably permanent.

Posted by beakerless
November 10, 2009, 10:29AM
You know, I have always wondered if my stalker and the Marine in my room that night went on to rape and perhaps murder other women. Sowell's actions may very well have started and been masked for a very long time before he found a victim pool who were dismissed by society as worthless. I will continue to pray for the families of these women and a community that is deeply wounded.

Funerals are very expensive. To be honest, I believe much of the blame is on the economics. From what I've seen, (little), this is an economically disadvantaged area. These poor people probably don't have the money to bury their loved ones.

I know it sounds weird, but I recently read an article that many coroners offices are being overloaded with unclaimed bodies. The article said it was the economy.

Hopefully, with the attention this is getting, that someone will start some kind of a fund so that they can bury these pour souls properly. They really don't even have to purchase the whole nine yards, they could have them cremated for a fraction of the cost. Often times churches only charge a minimal amount for memorial services.

These poor victims. Forgotten and on the fringes in life and then cast aside in death.

Bless their souls,
fran

I agree Fran. This is already an impovorished area, and with the economy it would be worse. Plus, some of the families may have already done their grieving. Some of the women have been missing for years, the families haven't known if they were missing or dead, but they knew the woman's lifestyle would have had something to do with it. So they grieved before there was a body, then they tried to move on. Now they know, they have their answers, but have to make choices between honoring the woman who in some ways had left them when she began the lifestyle that included drugs/alcohol, and the choice of caring for the ones who are still with them.

Oh wow!

The stories start coming.

This is going to get uglier and uglier.

:(
fran

http://www.woio.com/global/story.asp?s=11478497

Family Ties: Anthony Sowell's Cousin Claims Horrific Abuse

More and more women are coming forward to claim abuse by suspected Cleveland Strangler Anthony Sowell.

None, perhaps, more stunning than Sowell's own cousin, Leona Davis.

"He's evil, he's very evil." says Davis.

The 49-year-old says Sowell robbed her of her childhood. She says she was just 8-years-old when Sowell started to rape her on a daily

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WARNING! This article is very graphic. It details the scientific study.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11/post_111.html

At crime scenes, such as the home of suspected serial killer Anthony Sowell, bug expert Joe Keiper uses insects as clues

On the day before Halloween, as grim-faced detectives and crime scene investigators searched the foreboding house where suspected serial killer Anthony Sowell lived, a man arrived carrying a folded butterfly net and a small blue fishing tackle box filled with glass vials and surgical tweezers.

Joe Keiper spends most of his days in a basement lab at the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, a bright space that holds cabinets stuffed with hundreds of thousands of carefully preserved insects. It's a bug-lover's dream.

This afternoon, Keiper descended into a nightmare

<<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is possible that some of these families are still seeking, gathering and pooling their resources to make funeral arrangements.

So sad :(

:( Tragedy on tragedy.

Has anybody set up any kind of fund to help the survivors? I don't see anything on the woio web page, but there's so much stuff I might have missed it.

:( Tragedy on tragedy.

Has anybody set up any kind of fund to help the survivors? I don't see anything on the woio web page, but there's so much stuff I might have missed it.

I haven't seen or heard of anything. I am surprised.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holliryann
Back