OH OH - Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, 40, Zanesville, 13 July 1948

I agree that this is now pointing to the Bertha that is featured in these articles. As well, I think it can be determined that she simply walked away, due to untreated mental illness. The only way we can try and get a resolution is through loads of documents.
Does anyone have a working email address for Dorothy Daughterly?

While the Bertha Haeft info is circumstantial, I did another search for Bertha, and found that she is listed amongst records as both Marie B Tidd and Marie Tidd and married to Ernest Newell (as a previous poster submitted :). I am going to keep working these angles, and if we can eliminate Bertha Haeft as Bertha Tidd Newell with hard evidence, then I think we should do so with uploaded documents to this thread etc,.

Did you get confirmation at all on this? If so, it will help narrow the path in searching for Bertha. Respect to you.

Not as of right now. Last I heard (which has been a while) a haeft family memeber was in contact with the family.
I know Dorothy has not been in the best of health in the past, but I will reach out again.

According to Charley Project:
"After Newell's disappearance, numerous rumors circulated about what might have happened to her. She was said to have joined a traveling circus with a man named Dick Tidd, been murdered by her husband, or admitted to a nursing home in Woodsfield, Ohio. None of these rumors have been substantiated"
I don't know if Tidd was a common surname, but... could this be a misunderstanding? Was Dick Tidd related to her in any way?
Bertha Marie Tidd Newell – The Charley Project

Bertha Marie Tidd Newell
Missing since July 13, 1948 from Zanesville, Ohio.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: September 26, 1907
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 40 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'8 - 5'10, 125 - 145 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Dark brown hair; dark brown eyes.
    • Marks, Scars: Scar on head just behind crown
    • Clothing: She was last seen wearing a brown tweed dress and high heels
    • AKA: Bertha Marie Tidd, Marie Newell; Marie Tidd
    • Medical Conditions: She had some mental health issues before her disappearance and stayed in an Ohio state mental hospital for a brief period.
Circumstances of Disappearance

On July 13, 1948 Newell told her family she was going to the grocery store. She never returned and has never been seen again. She didn't take her purse nor any other personal belongings.
After her disappearance, there were numerous stories circulating; That she ran away to join a traveling circus, that her husband may have murdered her and a possibility she was in a nursing home in Woodfield. None of these were substantiated.

In 1956, there was a report that she had been seen in a town north of Zanesville. After some investigation, the police reached a dead-end. There have been no real leads since and Newell is no longer on file with the Zanesville Police Department.
Newell had given birth to 10 children.

LINK:
The Doe Network: Case File 1119DFOH

Missing for 75 Years...

Bertha Marie Tidd Newell, age 40
Missing Since: July 13, 1948
Location Last Seen: Zanesville, Ohio.
LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online