OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link. From what I'm seeing and reading, there's more than a few similarities between Brian and Joey's cases. I need to read the previous 48 pages so it may take a while. It's 10 years apart, but it's eerily similar circumstances and events.
I‘ve always thought there was a similarity as well.

Voices for Justice Podcast just released an episode about Brian's disappearance.

On March 31, 2006, 27-year-old Brian Shaffer went out with his friend Clint for a night of barhopping in Columbus, Ohio. At around 1:55 a.m., Brian was seen talking to two women outside the Ugly Tuna Saloona. Two minutes later, he walked back towards the entrance of the bar.

According to Clint and another friend named Meredith, they last saw Brian when he said he wanted to talk to the band and went back inside the bar. They say that they couldn’t find him after this. Before leaving, Clint and Meredith tried calling Brian, but his phone went straight to voicemail, so they went home.

Two days later, Brian was reported missing by his father. And I think what happened next is why Brian Shaffer’s case is so puzzling. When police reviewed surveillance footage from the Ugly Tuna Saloona, they saw Brian leave the bar, speak to the two people, and re-enter the bar. But there was no video of Brian leaving the bar again.

To this day, police still don’t know what happened to Brian that night. There are countless theories about what happened that night, but very few answers.

At the time of his disappearance, Brian Shaffer was 27 years old, 6’2”, 160 pounds, with brown hair and hazel eyes. He was wearing an olive green short-sleeved polo shirt with a white long-sleeved shirt underneath, blue jeans, Adidas sneakers, and a yellow cancer awareness bracelet. He has a dot on the iris of his left eye and a tattoo of the Pearl Jam symbol on his upper right bicep.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call the Columbus Division of Police at 614-645-2358.

I've been following this since the time Brian vanished and I still am not entirely sure on how many exits there were in the building. From what I understand...

-The buildings main entrance at the bottom of the escalators

-the service entrance located somewhere in the bar that had an elevator leading down to a hallway and then an exit to the street, and that there was a camera somewhere in the hallway (but not at the door leading outside).

-the fire exit in the bar somewhere that must have had a stairwell leading downstairs. No camera here.

-the construction area that would have been difficult to traverse but it did lead outside and had no camera. The entrance to this area was to the left of the entrance to the bar and very close to where Brian and the two women seen on the surveillance cameras outside the bar were located. Basically, it was right below those surveillance cameras.Was there an elevator here too since this was on the second floor? Or stairs?

-To the left of the bar/construction area, on the other side of the building, was a movie theatre, which had its own set of exit areas, but this it was closed by that time and since nobody ever talks about this, it doesn't factor into Brian's disappearance.

What did I get wrong?

I've been following this since the time Brian vanished and I still am not entirely sure on how many exits there were in the building. From what I understand...

-The buildings main entrance at the bottom of the escalators

-the service entrance located somewhere in the bar that had an elevator leading down to a hallway and then an exit to the street, and that there was a camera somewhere in the hallway (but not at the door leading outside).

-the fire exit in the bar somewhere that must have had a stairwell leading downstairs. No camera here.

-the construction area that would have been difficult to traverse but it did lead outside and had no camera. The entrance to this area was to the left of the entrance to the bar and very close to where Brian and the two women seen on the surveillance cameras outside the bar were located. Basically, it was right below those surveillance cameras.Was there an elevator here too since this was on the second floor? Or stairs?

-To the left of the bar/construction area, on the other side of the building, was a movie theatre, which had its own set of exit areas, but this it was closed by that time and since nobody ever talks about this, it doesn't factor into Brian's disappearance.

What did I get wrong?
It sounds right to me. Though I've always fiund it a little hard to keep up with.

I was wrong. This video above shows the locations well. Starting at about 3:00, it shows the fire escape led out to the side of the main entrance. The service elevator and the stairs, both of which led to the ground floor behind the businesses was what was located to the left of the bar (while facing towards the entrance to the bar). This is in the short hallway behind where the infamous camera was located that caught Brian in his last moments.

And based on Detective Hurst's interview in the "Brian Shaffer - Dead or Alive" podcast, he mentioned that the construction area was down on the ground floor, which could have been accessed via the service elevator/stairs. He mentioned that the bar staff had someone watching the fire escape and nobody reported anyone going down there, plus that led out to the courtyard and they reviewed the footage in the main area of the Gateway complex and never saw Brian. He mentioned some of the restaurants and businesses down in the service area left doors open. To me, he kind of hinted that's a likely area Brian left the building or the construction area. Like many, I believe Brian looked for an alternate way out in order to avoid Clint.

I was wrong. This video above shows the locations well. Starting at about 3:00, it shows the fire escape led out to the side of the main entrance. The service elevator and the stairs, both of which led to the ground floor behind the businesses was what was located to the left of the bar (while facing towards the entrance to the bar). This is in the short hallway behind where the infamous camera was located that caught Brian in his last moments.

And based on Detective Hurst's interview in the "Brian Shaffer - Dead or Alive" podcast, he mentioned that the construction area was down on the ground floor, which could have been accessed via the service elevator/stairs. He mentioned that the bar staff had someone watching the fire escape and nobody reported anyone going down there, plus that led out to the courtyard and they reviewed the footage in the main area of the Gateway complex and never saw Brian. He mentioned some of the restaurants and businesses down in the service area left doors open. To me, he kind of hinted that's a likely area Brian left the building or the construction area. Like many, I believe Brian looked for an alternate way out in order to avoid Clint.
Can you share your thoughts on why he wanted to avoid the friend he went to the bar with and spent the evening partying with?

In all the years of discussions about Brian's disappearance, there is talk that he and Clint had a contentious relationship and that they even got into an argument at the bar that night. Now I didn't know Brian. I don't know Clint. I wasn't there. But that has been a recurring topic for years and years. I can't think of any other reason why he would have looked for a back exit. Some people participating in this forum likely know much more about Brian's vanishing and his background than me.

''Sep 5, 2020
27-year-old Ohio State University medical student, Brian Shaffer, fails to show up for a flight to Miami. Surveillance footage shows him leaving a bar the night before, but he's never seen again.''

''Sep 5, 2020
27-year-old Ohio State University medical student, Brian Shaffer, fails to show up for a flight to Miami. Surveillance footage shows him leaving a bar the night before, but he's never seen again.''
The line ‘Surveillance footage shows him leaving a bar the night before’ seems to go against everything we’ve ever heard from this case.

Feb 11, 2020
''It's one of the biggest mysteries in central Ohio: what happened to Brian Shaffer?The night of April 1, 2006, security cameras from a now-closed bar and restaurant near Ohio State University's campus showed Shaffer, then 27, going up an escalator with friends.There is no footage showing Shaffer leaving the area that night and the former Ohio State medical student hasn't been seen or heard from since.''

So I have heard about this case but never followed it all that closely. I mainly keep up on the Maura Murray case who pretty much vanished into thin air as well. However the Brian Shaffer case seems to be even more perplexing than that because he vanished in a public place with lots of other people around. Whereas Maura wrecked her car in the middle of nowhere and she was surrounded by forests to boot. So while you could see how Maura might have vanished in a situation like that Brian Shaffer's situation seems extremely odd as it would have been much harder for him to disappear without being noticed.

What are the leading theories from those who follow the case closely. Did he simply find a way out of the building that wasn't caught on camera? Do many people feel like he was intentionally trying to disappear (at least temporarily)?

Make no mistake, one can disappear in the United States and never be found.

What happened to Medical Student:

#BrianShaffer

He left a bar never to be seen again.

Using this platform in the hopes of circulating his story in case someone recalls seeing something that at the time didn't seem important, but was.

https://thecrimewire.com/true-crime/The-Bizarre-Disappearance-of-Brian-Shaffer

Unfortunately in Brian’s case, that’s exactly what he’s done for the last 17 years.
Pretty crazy something can happen that recently in such a ‘locked room’ sort of scenario with no trace all this time later.

Hopefully with technological advancements and new LE strategies, Brian’s case will one day be solved.

Does anyone have the information about the after hours plans? I remember there was texts or something of the sort to do with plans after drinking in the bar, but does anyone know where that was supposed to be incase Brian made it out of the bar and headed in that direction.

Does anyone have the information about the after hours plans? I remember there was texts or something of the sort to do with plans after drinking in the bar, but does anyone know where that was supposed to be incase Brian made it out of the bar and headed in that direction.
From what I recall, Brian was having friends over to his place later that night / morning.
Nothing makes a lot of sense to me anymore re this case.
There had to be communication at some point, from those who who were planning to attend, right? I really want to see that information. Why has it never been disclosed. Honestly, what’s up with that police department.

From what I recall, Brian was having friends over to his place later that night / morning.
Nothing makes a lot of sense to me anymore re this case.
There had to be communication at some point, from those who who were planning to attend, right? I really want to see that information. Why has it never been disclosed. Honestly, what’s up with that police department.
There seems to be conflicting stories out there about what Brian was going to do after the Ugly Tuna. His dad said when they met for dinner Brian was exhausted from all his studying. and exams. Aparrrently the two ladies he was talking to asked him back to one of their places but he ended up not going, there was talk of him having a party at his house but seems to have never been organised and talk of him looking for drugs and/or going to another party. Brian did have a contentious relationship with Clint. They were friends again but had gone through a period of not talking. There’s been discussion that Clint was a bit annoyed with Brian that night possibly because he was talking to other women and Client knew he had a serious girlfriend. The guys I really listen to in regards to this case is Nick and Captain from True Crime Garage Podcast. They have spoken to people close to case including one of the lady’s Brian talked to and even one of band members who played that night.

There seems to be conflicting stories out there about what Brian was going to do after the Ugly Tuna. His dad said when they met for dinner Brian was exhausted from all his studying. and exams. Aparrrently the two ladies he was talking to asked him back to one of their places but he ended up not going, there was talk of him having a party at his house but seems to have never been organised and talk of him looking for drugs and/or going to another party. Brian did have a contentious relationship with Clint. They were friends again but had gone through a period of not talking. There’s been discussion that Clint was a bit annoyed with Brian that night possibly because he was talking to other women and Client knew he had a serious girlfriend. The guys I really listen to in regards to this case is Nick and Captain from True Crime Garage Podcast. They have spoken to people close to case including one of the lady’s Brian talked to and even one of band members who played that night.
I wonder if they reached out to Clint at all? Not because I am pointing my finger at him, but seeing as he seemed to cut off law enforcement I suppose he would cut off any sort of media or discussion about the case at all, right?

I wonder if they reached out to Clint at all? Not because I am pointing my finger at him, but seeing as he seemed to cut off law enforcement I suppose he would cut off any sort of media or discussion about the case at all, right?
They have never spoken to To Clint as far as I know. Clint got a lawyer really early on And wouldn’t take a lie detector test (not that I blame him for that) I’ve never heard of any investigators or podcasters etc being in contact with Clint. I am surprised as a friend he hasn’t spoken up more or been more helpful In looking for Brian.

They have never spoken to To Clint as far as I know. Clint got a lawyer really early on And wouldn’t take a lie detector test (not that I blame him for that) I’ve never heard of any investigators or podcasters etc being in contact with Clint. I am surprised as a friend he hasn’t spoken up more or been more helpful In looking for Brian.
I think it’s bizarre Clint won’t talk to anyone. I absolutely understand the notion behind the whole ‘don’t talk without a lawyer’ thing, or even
‘Don’t talk at all if your lawyer says not to’, but if my best friend went missing - from a night out that I was with them no less - then I would be spilling my guts about EVERY. LAST. DETAIL. legal or otherwise that took place that night and in the lead up in any hope that my friend might be found alive or otherwise and any person that might have hurt my friend being held responsible.

Can any of you imagine hanging out with your best friend one night and they go missing, and actively not helping at all outside of the initial stages of the investigation? Hell, I’d say lock me up in prison for a month if it gets you closer to finding my best mate. A week, a month, a year, ten years later, whatever it took.

All IMO of course.

I think it’s bizarre Clint won’t talk to anyone. I absolutely understand the notion behind the whole ‘don’t talk without a lawyer’ thing, or even
‘Don’t talk at all if your lawyer says not to’, but if my best friend went missing - from a night out that I was with them no less - then I would be spilling my guts about EVERY. LAST. DETAIL. legal or otherwise that took place that night and in the lead up in any hope that my friend might be found alive or otherwise and any person that might have hurt my friend being held responsible.

Can any of you imagine hanging out with your best friend one night and they go missing, and actively not helping at all outside of the initial stages of the investigation? Hell, I’d say lock me up in prison for a month if it gets you closer to finding my best mate. A week, a month, a year, ten years later, whatever it took.

All IMO of course.
No, I can't imagine that. It's especially puzzling that Clint was not alone in the bar and would have had corroboration that Brian was nowhere to be found when they got ready to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dontstayin