OH OH - Chagrin Falls, WhtMale 55-65, UP15998, clothes, Oct'72

Coffee56

Reaction score
WARNING - PM AT LINK!!

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number147047
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian
Possible First Name--
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Possible Nickname--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 70
Estimated Age Range (Years)55-65
Estimated Year of Death1972
Estimated PMI--
Height5' 8"(68 inches) , Measured
Weight128 lbs, Measured
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
Date Body FoundOctober 7, 1972
NamUs Case CreatedNovember 8, 2016
ME/C QA Reviewed--
Location Found Map
LocationChagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
CountyCuyahoga County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--
Circumstances of RecoveryAt small stream off #3 fairway at Chagrin Valley Country Club, found by golfers.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face
Physical Description
Hair ColorGray or Partially Gray
Head Hair DescriptionReceding hairline / partially bald
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair DescriptionOriginal paperwork stated: No beard, mustache described as unshaven. However, photo indicates a slight mustache, and several days of stubble on chin and jawbones
Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
Searching for record of clothing - amf 11-8-16
On the Body

Cases submitted to NamUs, and both investigating agencies.

I've done these a few times, and this is the first one I've felt was a "match." I took Frank Oliva's photo, and Chagrin Falls, OH unidentified's photo, and used them as references to create a single 3D mesh. I then took the single mesh, and oriented it in front of both photos. They matched up beautifully!

Original photos of Frank Oliva, and the Chagrin Falls, OH unidentified:
oliva1.jpg

Creating a single 3D mesh using the photos as references:
oliva2.jpg

Placing, and orienting the new single 3D mesh over both photos:
oliva3.jpg

(Disclaimer: A single 3D mesh was created with only two reference images. More reference image from different angles would create a more accurate mesh. The neck was not considered when creating the mesh, and should be ignored, as they are not oriented the same relative to the head in each photo.)

It is believed that in 1973 Frank may have went on a final road trip with his wife to end their lives. His wife was in poor condition, and Frank did not want his wife to go to a nursing home. If you've experienced a loved one with dementia, you understand just how heart breaking and devastating it is. My heart breaks for Frank, and his wife Mary.

The unidentified male was found in 1972 (you heard that correct) at a small stream on a golf course in Chagrin Falls, OH. While the unidentified was reported to be found in 1972, and Frank went missing in 1973, I suspect the reported year the unidentified was found could be wrong. After reading a 1973 article, I confirmed that Frank was reported missing during that time, but I was not able to find an article on the unidentified in 1972 (or 1973).

Note that Frank has a dimpled chin, and the unidentified may have one as well. If you look at the *altered* post-mortem photo of the unidentified you'll see where even the artist accounted for the divot in his chin. Not only does the 3D mesh align, so do their faces.

Frank Oliva
NE - NE - Mary, 79, & Frank Oliva Sr, 76, Wilber, 28 July 1973

Chagrin Falls, OH Unidentified

Hmmm ... understand similarities in appearance and physical stats. I'm having difficulty with the timing and distance (>900 miles) as well as the missing car and wife. I also looked for articles on the unidentified and was not successful - will post should I find any at a later point.

Hmmm ... understand similarities in appearance and physical stats. I'm having difficulty with the timing and distance (>900 miles) as well as the missing car and wife. I also looked for articles on the unidentified and was not successful - will post should I find any at a later point.
I agree with you. I'd love to see if anyone can come up with an article on the unidentified being found at the Chagrin Valley Country Club, Chagrin Falls, OH in 1972, or 1973+. I suspect it's possible that when they put the unidentified's case on NamUs, the person had mistaken a 3 for a 2 in the year.

My Unsubstantiated Guess
If this is Frank, he may have taken his wife Mary on a final tour of the county, not just local this time, having already picked up a map. I suspect Frank may have drove the car into a body of water with Mary still in it near Chagrin Falls, OH, where he eventually made his way to a beautiful "small stream off #3 fairway at Chagrin Valley Country Club," and ended his own life.

Here's the best article on Frank and Mary Oliva (Lincoln Journal Star)
Epilogue: Gone, but never forgotten

Last edited:
MAR 23, 2024
Golfers made a shocking discovery at a local country club back in 1972, finding a man dead on the golf course.
  • The man’s body was found at a small stream off the #3 fairway at Chagrin Valley Country Club in Moreland Hills.
  • It’s a pretty clear photograph, which was altered slightly by Ohio BCI for identification.
  • He was white, 55 to 65 years old, 5′ 8″ and 128 pounds.
  • He had brown eyes, gray hair, a receding hairline and was partially bald.
  • We reached out to the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office and found out this John Doe’s cause of death may have been heart disease.
  • Other than that, they had no updates on this case.

I've been to Chagrin Falls many times, and it is difficult to get to this suburban/small town area without a vehicle. Was there an abandoned vehicle towed away? A set of unattended golf clubs found? If he was at a private club, he would have been someone's guest if he wasn't a member. If he was a contractor, someone should have remembered hiring him. NAMUS notes that he was wearing brown work shoes - not usually a golfer's choice. It would be useful to see a picture of his clothing and shoes. Also, are there locations on the country club property that would allow someone to enter the course from a street or public way without observation?

As with so many old cases, DNA is probably the only method of identification. NAMUS doesn't say if there's DNA or dental records, but a DNA test on his remains is the best option for identifying him now.

The Chagrin Valley Country Club in Moreland Hills is still there, and is adjacent to Ohio 91, which runs to Eastlake, east of Cleveland, and south to Summit County. I don't know how our Doe would get to this location without a vehicle. It isn't a location where a homeless person would find his way to, especially in 1972. I tend to think this man was dumped in this location, perhaps dying in stressful and questionable circumstances elsewhere. Although he was said to have died from a heart attack, that could have resulted from some kind of coercive events. No wallet or ID, no keys - I think he was stripped of these things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuznFinder
Back