OH - Clermont County father lined up sons 3, 4, and 7, executed with rifle, mother injured trying to protect them, June 2023

As Pratchett so perfectly said, (paraphrasing a little, because I don't have the quote in front of me,) "It starts with treating people as things."

(And whenever anybody quotes this, I know it means there’s a human behind the screen. :) I started listening to a particular (amateur) true crime podcast because they used the quote in one of their shows’ notes. Also: currently listening to the new Indira Varma voiced audiobooks.)

I am a tad surprised nobody here questions the perpetrator's sanity. I mean someone who murders calmly his children, one by one, and then behaves like nothing happened might be severely mentally ill. As in his picture of reality is warped so badly he thinks this horrible murder was the right thing to do. I think he should undergo extensive psychiatric evaluation.
I'm sure his attorney will make sure he undergoes a psych evaluation. There is however a big difference between being mentally ill and criminally insane. Mental illness is not a excuse for murder.
IMO this crime was meant to hurt his wife. He's an absolute monster!

this is one case I will gladly see to the end - his end - for justice for these poor boys and their mom and sister

this has me in tears - those poor babies
You might have to watch it for me, too, I just don't think I'm up for more pirposeful intentional gun violence against little kids. I left the north Dallas mall shooting thread for the same reason, there is no solution when a gun is seen as the tool, the first thing chosen by these cowards.

Imo

Check this out:

According to psychologist Sharon Mailloux (2014), this individual is a male involved in a long-term relationship, highly possessive over his wife and family. Issues with maintaining employment, substance misuse and domestic violence were traits present in the family annihilators cases. The main trigger for these killings is divorce and separation.

Moreover, Liem and Koenraadt (2008) found that most of the family annihilators had a personality disorder with dependent or narcissistic tendencies.

The livid-coercive murderer is motivated by revenge and rage caused by control issues. He will show abusive tendencies towards his family that will serve as a means of self-worth by exerting authority within the household. In most cases, the livid-coercive individual faces failure in marriage due to his abusive behaviour followed by the wife and children trying to leave. This will make him feel a lack of control and humiliation and lead to the killing of his entire family.

1. Self-Righteous Killers:
    This individual is in most cases the father who often blames others, especially the mother for relationship issues or a break-up and for preventing him from having access to the children. He sees himself as ‘the provider’ and taking that away from him, will make him dangerous. The main goal is to cause pain and suffering to their partners and are most likely to use the children in doing so. Will often kill the children and leave the mother alive to extend the suffering and ensure the maximum pain. In most cases, this type of family murderer will contact the mother prior to the murders and inform her about what they are going to do.
    His killings are executions and they are never spontaneous. He plans his murders and they are not a result of impulsiveness or in a fit of rage. The killings are methodical and planned out for a long time.
Much more at link including various types of annihilators. Family Annihilators- Psychological Profile
Wow, that checks a lot of boxes, in what little we know so far. Leaves Mom alive, planned, and potentially divorce being the impetus. I’ve seen reference to divorce being said in the 911 call, though I’m still looking for the source, so MOO.

Chad Doerman, the 32-year-old Ohio father arrested Thursday after allegedly gunning down his three young sons, “just snapped,” his father told The Post Saturday.

Keith Doerman, 59, who now lives in Port Richey, Florida, with his wife, Gloria, 58, said they are both “still trying to comprehend” how Chad could have murdered his own children but added that “we have no answers.”

“He just snapped,” the elder Doerman told The Post Saturday.

“There was something going on in his life that he couldn’t handle no more. I can’t talk to him, they aren’t letting me talk to him so I don’t have any answers. He probably hid a lot of stuff from me.”

Harrowing police bodycam footage shows the moment officers came upon Chad calmly sitting down next to his rifle Thursday afternoon after allegedly shooting his three young sons to death.

“You show me your hands now!” screams a cop as he advances across a grassy yard toward the Clermont County home where the 32-year-old is believed to have gunned down his three boys.

“Stand up and walk to me!”

But Doerman remained calmly sitting on a stoop at what is apparently his home, the footage shows.
A photo of Chad Doerman's late sons.

I'm sure his attorney will make sure he undergoes a psych evaluation. There is however a big difference between being mentally ill and criminally insane.
Sure it is. But if you want justice, not blind revenge, you'd also want to be sure you don't send to prison or to death row someone that is criminally insane. So if he is sane, sure, he deserves the harshest punishment the law has, but if he is insane, he needs a lifelong stay in a mental institution, not in prison.

Chad Doerman, the 32-year-old Ohio father arrested Thursday after allegedly gunning down his three young sons, “just snapped,” his father told The Post Saturday.

Keith Doerman, 59, who now lives in Port Richey, Florida, with his wife, Gloria, 58, said they are both “still trying to comprehend” how Chad could have murdered his own children but added that “we have no answers.”

“There was something going on in his life that he couldn’t handle no more. I can’t talk to him, they aren’t letting me talk to him so I don’t have any answers. He probably hid a lot of stuff from me.”

Harrowing police bodycam footage shows the moment officers came upon Chad calmly sitting down next to his rifle Thursday afternoon after allegedly shooting his three young sons to death.

“You show me your hands now!” screams a cop as he advances across a grassy yard toward the Clermont County home where the 32-year-old is believed to have gunned down his three boys.

But Doerman remained calmly sitting on a stoop at what is apparently his home, the footage shows.
A photo of Chad Doerman's late sons.'s late sons.

From the link in the above post
Doerman insisted that Chad had no history of mental illness or strange behavior or a criminal record.

Sure it is. But if you want justice, not blind revenge, you'd also want to be sure you don't send to prison or to death row someone that is criminally insane. So if he is sane, sure, he deserves the harshest punishment the law has, but if he is insane, he needs a lifelong stay in a mental institution, not in prison.
I would never want blind revenge. I'm not sure how you interperated my post to mean that. I also didn't say that someone who is criminally insane should be sent to prison. I agree they should be institutionalized in a facility for the criminally insane. I was only referring to the fact that there is a very high bar that must be reached to be diagnosed as "criminally insane".

Last edited:

"And you just think about that, that here's this t-ball team, a bunch of four-year-olds and the parents - and one of those young, bright, young faces is gone now. And how do we respond to that?" Miller said. "Who wants to have a conversation with your four or five-year-old about death? And how this, particularly this death, came about? ... Worst fears were confirmed. We've lost three young, precious lives, and another one of our students, an older (sister) - is going to be a ninth grader.. has been deeply impacted for the rest of her life. ... We do want to be a resource for our, for our parents in terms of how do I approach these conversations about death and dying? And in a terrible instance when they happen in this world? And how do we help them adjust to that?

Planning a murder and then calmly waiting for cops to arrive doesn’t suggest he “snapped” to me. And why didn’t he kill himself then, if something happened in his life that he couldn’t handle? Instead he takes it out on his three, beautiful little boys? Taking their lives in a terrifying, horrific manner?

Nah. I’m not buying it.

Insanity is a legal term. It’s very rare to be found insane. He’d have to at the least, have been psychotic at the time of the murders. But he showed no signs of psychosis IMHO. I’ve seen psychosis. We’ve seen examples on here, too.

He seemed satisfied. Committed. Focused. I don’t know.

But if someone is insane enough to commit a crime like this I agree that they should be in a mental institution for life. Not punished but not free. Secure and safe.

Planning a murder and then calmly waiting for cops to arrive doesn’t suggest he “snapped” to me. And why didn’t he kill himself then, if something happened in his life that he couldn’t handle? Instead he takes it out on his three, beautiful little boys? Taking their lives in a terrifying, horrific manner?

Nah. I’m not buying it.

Yep, not a care in the world sitting there on that stoop ignoring their order to stand up. He almost seemed proud of himself.

"And you just think about that, that here's this t-ball team, a bunch of four-year-olds and the parents - and one of those young, bright, young faces is gone now. And how do we respond to that?" Miller said. "Who wants to have a conversation with your four or five-year-old about death? And how this, particularly this death, came about? ... Worst fears were confirmed. We've lost three young, precious lives, and another one of our students, an older (sister) - is going to be a ninth grader.. has been deeply impacted for the rest of her life. ... We do want to be a resource for our, for our parents in terms of how do I approach these conversations about death and dying? And in a terrible instance when they happen in this world? And how do we help them adjust to that?
A conversation more and more parents are having to have with their children.

Bbm.
Hmmm.

Speculation : IF he was served recently with divorce papers, that could've been a catalyst.
But (IMO) it sounds like his father might be defensive.
Just my .02.

People get divorced .
It happens.
Sometimes it's not the person's fault who is being served -- and they may feel they've done nothing wrong to warrant the other spouse leaving.
However, to ruthlessly slaughter your own beautiful babies takes away any blame that the perp or others may lay at someone's doorstep !
M00.
Ymmv.

Rest in gentle peace and fly with the angels, little guys !

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabbitfoot
Back