OH OH - Cleveland, BlkMale 28-45, UP15453, bulging eyes, small upturned nose, tattoo 'Sally', Aug'69

dotr

Reaction score

Calgary Sun
CRIME HUNTER: Was Black Panther the victim in 1969 cold case? | Toronto Sun
March 20 2021
''The young black male had been shot nine times and his legs had been sawed off. Cops said the victim had been covered in some sort of caustic fluid. A coroner noted he had suffered blunt force trauma.''

''The dead man was wearing a Waltham wristwatch and a gray metal ring with a blue stone on his fourth finger. He had a tattoo with the name “Sally” etched on the inside of his left forearm and it was discovered he had a medical condition that made his eyes bulge.

Detectives always believed the murder victim had a connection to Cleveland’s Black Panther Party.''

''As for his murder, it had all the earmarks of an organized, professional rubout.

But “Sally” was never found and for almost 52 years, the Cleveland John Doe has remained unidentified.''

''The Porchlight Project is fully funding Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing and family records research by Othram Inc., with the hope of generating leads that could identify the victim.''

rbbm.
DNA Will Be Tested in Grisly Cleveland Cold Case From 1969
''Cleveland police attempted to identify the man, to no avail, even though they had some good clues. He was found wearing a Waltham wristwatch and a gray metal ring with a blue stone on his 4th finger. He also sported a tattoo – the name, Sally — on the inside of his left forearm. Based on the narrow shape of the man’s skull, it is believed he may have had Crouzon Syndrome, which would have made his eyes appear to be bulging, giving him a very distinct look.

Detectives wondered if his murder was connected to the Black Panther Party.

It’s not a big leap to believe that the Doe in the barrel might have been connected to the Panthers in some way. In the 1960s, the east side of Cleveland was a powder keg of racial tension. There were the Hough riots, in 1966. And then, just a year before the unknown man’s murder, there was a four-hour long shootout in Glenville, between police and a group called the Black Nationalists of New Libya, which led to the deaths of three policemen and three suspects. After decades of Jim Crow laws, black nationalism was on the rise. Some organizations in Cleveland were peaceful. Others, not so much.''

Othram - Justice Through Genomics
15 March, 2021
''DNA Will Be Tested in Grisly Cleveland Cold Case From 1969
The victim was a young, Black man who had been shot nine times. Detectives wondered if his murder was connected to the Black Panther Party. The Porchlight Project, a local nonprofit dedicated to solving Ohio cold cases, has agreed to completely fund the DNA tests and genetic genealogy that could lead to finally identifying this victim. Last week, the Medical Examiner’s office shipped a piece of the victim’s bone to Othram, Inc., a one-stop-shop for DNA testing and genetic genealogy in Texas.''

Interesting watch. Waltham Watch Company went out of business in 1957. The name was purchased by a Japanese company in 1981 and the brand is very popular there, but it's well after this man died. Many of the Waltham watches were targeted specifically at men in the military, particularly the Navy.

Here's an article that tells you more than you want to know: Waltham Vintage Watches: History & Iconic Models

Cuyahoga County John Doe (1969)
in: Developing cases, Male, Black,
and 14 more
Cuyahoga County John Doe (1969)
View source

This article includes content which may be disturbing to some readers. Discretion is advised.

Cuyahoga County John Doe

Discovered
August 29, 1969
Unidentified for
52 years
Sex
Male
Race
Black
Height
6'1
Cause of death
Gunshot (homicide)
Cuyahoga County John Doe was a male located in 1969 in Cleveland, Ohio. His dismembered remains were discovered inside a barrel behind a residence.

Project Porchlight, a local Akron group specializing in cold cases, began assisting with the case in March 2021.

Contents
  • 1 Case
  • 2 Characteristics
  • 3 Clothing
  • 4 Sources
Case
The man's remains had been dismembered and placed inside a barrel filled with a chemical that was likely intended to deteriorate the body at a faster pace. He had been struck on the head and shot nine times.

Characteristics
  • Black medium length hair.
  • An elongated skull with an asymmetrical face, resulting from a genetic disorder
  • An upturned nose
  • Amateurish-appearing tattoo on his left forearm of the name "Sally"
  • Dental work:
    • A gold upper tooth
    • Upper and lower partial dentures
    • Visible fillings in two upper teeth
Clothing

• Tan, corduroy Cal Craft Sportswear jacket
  • Gray patterned cotton work shirt
  • Yellow and gray short-sleeve tee shirt
  • Gray trousers
  • Brown combat boots
  • Waltham wristwatch with white-metal stretch band.
  • Yellow-metal ring with blue stone.
Sources

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current NamUs Exclusion List for this John Doe?
1 Missing Person Exclusion

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs #MP35183Furman Byrd
Date of Last ContactJune 28, 1968
StateOH
CountyCuyahoga

This is my first time posting, if formatting is wrong please forgive me. I was doing some family research (looking for my great grandmother long story at this point I think she was a figment of someone’s imagination ). I ran across these 2 articles in the Cleveland Call and Post which was/is a AA newspaper. IMG_8785.jpegIMG_8784.jpeg

What’s with the last line of that article?
“The police had expected a revenge killing in the shooting death of a 17 year old girl, Jeffery Nell Searcy on Aug 15”
Can’t find anything about that online so far

What’s with the last line of that article?
“The police had expected a revenge killing in the shooting death of a 17 year old girl, Jeffery Nell Searcy on Aug 15”
Can’t find anything about that online so far
The Aug 23, 1969 edition of the Call and Post has an article featuring her, but I can't read it as I don't have a subscription.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX
Back