OH OH - Cleveland, WhtMale 20-30, 121UMOH, decapitated, Jiggs/"Helen-Paul" tattoos, Jun'36

So I think this JD has spent time in the military, specifically the US navy. Back in the 1930s homosexuality was a criminal issue and if this man was gay it's possible he was discharged. Would records of dishonourably discharged individuals be easier to find than someone who was discharged?
Anecdote: When I was in high school, ca. 1980, I had a friend whose dad was a WWII veteran, and while people didn't talk about homosexuality back then anything near as much as they do now, or in the same ways, he said that there were gay men in his platoon, and everyone knew who they were and nobody cared as long as they minded their own business and did their jobs.

Someone to whom I later told this said, "Yeah, they were probably skinny and had high pitched voices" and I replied, "No, it's because he said they were going out with each other."

Anecdote: When I was in high school, ca. 1980, I had a friend whose dad was a WWII veteran, and while people didn't talk about homosexuality back then anything near as much as they do now, or in the same ways, he said that there were gay men in his platoon, and everyone knew who they were and nobody cared as long as they minded their own business and did their jobs.

Someone to whom I later told this said, "Yeah, they were probably skinny and had high pitched voices" and I replied, "No, it's because he said they were going out with each other."

Yeah, I was reading an article about gay people in WW2. They had their own subculture going; doing entertainment reviews, etc. Apparently, so many recruits from rural areas finally had the ability to mix with people like them, giving them a freedom to be who they were. It seems it never affected their jobs or their ability.

They still had the fear of being found out since the military was always doing purges. When the war was over and all these people were expected to go back to a life in hiding it was terrible for them, losing the friends they made and a sense of community and most egregiously, losing their benefits. The stigma followed them their entire lives.

A plaster reproduction of the man’s head (death mask picture), along with a diagram (shown below) of the kind and location of the tattoos, were made to display at the Great Lakes Exposition of 1936. More than one hundred thousand people saw the “Death Mask” and tattoo chart. The “Tattooed Man” was never identified. (The original Death Mask, along with three others from the case are on display at the Cleveland Police Museum.)

Picture

The Cleveland police sent this illustration to police departments in other cities.

I find it quite interesting that a man who is in the later years of the Great Depression and theoretically would have struggled to find work for most of his adult life, has chosen to spend money on 6 tattoos.

That seems to indicate that he had been rather steadily employed and without economic strains, such as a wife and children to feed.

That crossed American flag tattoo with the initials W.C.G is a gold mine in my opinion. If I had to venture a wild guess, and I like wild guesses, I’d say Helen and Paul are either his parents or children. Either way the last names likely start with G.

It should be noted though that he is reported to have undershorts with a laundry mark indicating his initials are J.D. Personally, I'd say the tattoo initials are closer to being him, or related to him. Underpants can be lost, found, or borrowed, and worn, tattoos....not so much.

People migrated quite a bit in those years so it is unlikely he was from anywhere in Cleveland, but, the flags indicate American so I'd be curious to search this on Ancestry at some point.

It’s so wild that a young guy with all these recognizable tattoos has remained unidentified all these years.

This case was considered to be one of a series called the Kingsbury Run Murders or the Cleveland Torso Murders.

Here a couple of links to threads about them here on Websleuths:

Dr Francis Edward “Frank” Sweeney
Dr. Francis Edward "Frank" Sweeney (1894 - 1964)
BIRTH 5 May 1894
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
DEATH 9 Jul 1964 (aged 70)
Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, USA
BURIAL: Calvary Cemetery Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio,
Section 81, Lot 801, Grave 1

Cleveland Chief or Public Safety Elliot Ness, earlier famous as the leader of "The Untouchables", investigated the series of murders called the Kingsbury Run Murders or the Cleveland Torso Murders, and he developed as a strong suspect Dr. Francis Sweeney.

Sweeney served in the Army during World War One. He received a severe head injury in France and was subsequently awarded a partial disability pension. He graduated from medical school in St. Louis in 1928 and became a surgical resident at St. Alexis hospital in the Kingsbury Run area.

Overwork and a hereditary tendency towards alcoholism and psychosis began taking an obvious toll on his health. He was admitted to City Hospital for alcoholism, but the treatment was unsuccessful. The drinking worsened and his marriage and career began to disintegrate. He was violent and abusive at home and the hospital severed its relationship with him.

According to his wife Mary J. (Sokol), Dr. Sweeney had begun to drink continuously two years after their marriage in July of 1927 and remained in a state of habitual drunkenness until their separation in September of 1934. Eventually, she filed for divorce in 1936, seeking custody of their children and an order restraining him from "visiting, interfering, or molesting her."

Sweeney's deterioration seemed to reach a climax just about the time that the Lady of the Lake, the probable first victim in the murder series, washed up on the shores of Lake Erie on September 5, 1934.

Dr. Sweeney was born, raised and spent most of his life in the Kingsbury Run area and knew it intimately from his boyhood explorations. He was a large and strong man, certainly powerful enough to carry victims down the steep, rugged embankment of Jackass Hill in Kingsbury Run. He had the medical knowledge to perform so many expert decapitations and dismemberments.

Ness was never able to get the necessary evidence to charge Sweeney with any of the Kingsbury Run murders, but felt certain that Sweeney was the killer. He had investigators watch Sweeney's movements and tail him. Sweeney would play games with them by identifying them and giving them the slip. Often, Sweeney would check himself into a Veterans Administration Hospital to avoid being questioned by investigators. He would often write letters to Ness and to the FBI to taunt them.

By 1955, Sweeney's mental state had deteriorated to the point where he was committed involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital where he died in 1964.

LINK:

Eliot Ness investigated the Kingsbury Run/Cleveland Torso murders in the mid to late 1930's.

The Cleveland Torso Murderer allegedly killed and dismembered 12 confirmed victims in Cleveland, between 1935 and 1938, though reports now say that the Mad Butcher killed a lot more from the 1920s to 1950s. The victims were all mostly drifters, and most were beheaded and dismembered, with decapitation being the cause of death in most cases. The victims were both male and female, with the male victims found castrated, and were next to impossible to identify, since they were found headless.

Eliot Ness, who was the Public Safety Director of Cleveland, became famous as part of The Untouchables. While the killer was never caught, Ness arrested and interrogated one of the prime suspects, Dr. Francis E. Sweeney. It is said that the Mad Butcher taunted him by displaying the remains of two victims in full view of his city hall office.

LINK:

Last edited:
Dr Francis Edward “Frank” Sweeney
Dr. Francis Edward "Frank" Sweeney (1894 - 1964)
BIRTH 5 May 1894
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
DEATH 9 Jul 1964 (aged 70)
Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio, USA
BURIAL: Calvary Cemetery Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio,
Section 81, Lot 801, Grave 1

Cleveland Chief or Public Safety Elliot Ness, earlier famous as the leader of "The Untouchables", investigated the series of murders called the Kingsbury Run Murders or the Cleveland Torso Murders, and he developed as a strong suspect Dr. Francis Sweeney.

Sweeney served in the Army during World War One. He received a severe head injury in France and was subsequently awarded a partial disability pension. He graduated from medical school in St. Louis in 1928 and became a surgical resident at St. Alexis hospital in the Kingsbury Run area.

Overwork and a hereditary tendency towards alcoholism and psychosis began taking an obvious toll on his health. He was admitted to City Hospital for alcoholism, but the treatment was unsuccessful. The drinking worsened and his marriage and career began to disintegrate. He was violent and abusive at home and the hospital severed its relationship with him.

According to his wife Mary J. (Sokol), Dr. Sweeney had begun to drink continuously two years after their marriage in July of 1927 and remained in a state of habitual drunkenness until their separation in September of 1934. Eventually, she filed for divorce in 1936, seeking custody of their children and an order restraining him from "visiting, interfering, or molesting her."

Sweeney's deterioration seemed to reach a climax just about the time that the Lady of the Lake, the probable first victim in the murder series, washed up on the shores of Lake Erie on September 5, 1934.

Dr. Sweeney was born, raised and spent most of his life in the Kingsbury Run area and knew it intimately from his boyhood explorations. He was a large and strong man, certainly powerful enough to carry victims down the steep, rugged embankment of Jackass Hill in Kingsbury Run. He had the medical knowledge to perform so many expert decapitations and dismemberments.

Ness was never able to get the necessary evidence to charge Sweeney with any of the Kingsbury Run murders, but felt certain that Sweeney was the killer. He had investigators watch Sweeney's movements and tail him. Sweeney would play games with them by identifying them and giving them the slip. Often, Sweeney would check himself into a Veterans Administration Hospital to avoid being questioned by investigators. He would often write letters to Ness and to the FBI to taunt them.

By 1955, Sweeney's mental state had deteriorated to the point where he was committed involuntarily to a psychiatric hospital where he died in 1964.

LINK:

Oh I had no idea. Thank you Richard for posting this. Wow makes perfect sense . His wife left and it’s almost like he was taking that anger out on others.

@othram, are you familiar with this particular John Doe, the Cleveland Torso Murders, or the Kingsbury Run Murders, and are any of them possible cases for you ?
These looks interesting. If they are in NamUs and/or if any are in the hands of LE, we could certainly get involved.

These looks interesting. If they are in NamUs and/or if any are in the hands of LE, we could certainly get involved.
I don't believe this case is in Namus, only the Doe Network.
The contact information appears to be the coroner's office, it's not listing a law enforcement agency.
Does anyone know if these cases are still open?

I don't believe this case is in Namus, only the Doe Network.
The contact information appears to be the coroner's office, it's not listing a law enforcement agency.
Does anyone know if these cases are still open?
We can start from a DOE NETWORK record. We will take a look. Of course, if more information emerges, share it!

This unidentified person case really has to be considered part of the series of murders known as the Cleveland Torso Murders and also as the Kingsbury Run Murders. It was generally reported that the series included at least 12 or 13 victims, of which only three were identified - two positively and one tentatively.

The city of Cleveland treated all of those murders as a single case, although there were at least two investigations carried on simultaneously. At some point, the cases were officially "closed" but never solved. There were many arrests and potential suspects considered, but two strong suspects stood out.

One was a brick layer named Frank Dolezal, age 52 who had some connections with two or three of the victims. Under duress, he "confessed" to the murders but was found hanged in his cell with six broken ribs before any charges could be brought.

Frank Dolezal, 52, suspect who died in police custody.

The other was Dr. Francis Sweeney, whom Eliot Ness believed was the killer. Unfortunately, besides a lack of solid evidence, politics entered the scene. Dr. Sweeney was the brother of an Ohio Congressman who was a political opponent of Eliot Ness (who had entered into the race for mayor of Cleveland).

Dr. Francis E. Sweeney (1894-1964)

Ness considered the case "solved", but no one was ever tried or convicted of the murders, and most of the victims remain unidentified to this day - including this young man.

Facial reconstruction of unidentified tattooed victim murdered in June 1936.

The Cuyahoga County Coroner's Office historic files would probably be the place to start for first hand information regarding the autopsies and photos of the victims.

LINK:

Last edited:
Picture

R.14398987d760da91ab0c2a5d214b93e6

Sketches of Unidentified Tattooed Man, Cleveland, Ohio June 1936​

Case​

The victim's head was found wrapped in a pair of trousers by two young boys close to East 55th Street bridge and near the Shaker Rapid Transit tracks. The rest of his body was found by police nude, but not mutilated, between the New York Central & Nickel Plate tracks, in front of the police building, and by an old shed. There was no blood on the ground, suggesting the victim was killed somewhere else then disposed. The coroner determined he was decapitated alive between the first and second cervical vertebrae, but he was not bound, tortured, or intoxicated with alcohol or drugs.

A railroad worker said that the head was not in the vicinity at 3:00 PM. Another eyewitness reported seeing a late-model Cadillac under the Kinsman Road bridge about 11:00 PM. It's been suggested the latter time was the dumping hour. A plaster reproduction of the man's head, along with a diagram of the kind and location of the tattoos, were made to display at the Great Lakes Exposition of 1936. More than one hundred thousand people saw the death mask and tattoo chart, but he still was not identified.

The victim, called "John Doe II" or more notably, "The Tattooed Man" because of his tattoos, is also referred to as "Victim #4" of the Cleveland Torso Murderer. Between 1935-1938, the Cleveland Torso Murderer was responsible for the murder and dismemberment of twelve transients and hobos in which only two were ever identified. Investigators believe there are additional victims. Although investigators had several suspects, most notably Frank Dolezal and Dr. Francis E. Sweeney, no one was ever charged and convicted for the murders.

"The Tattooed Man" was buried in the Potter's Field Section of Highland Park Cemetery in Highland Park, Ohio.
Platinum Collection - Build your own Bundle (May 2023) | Fanatical

Characteristics​

• Reddish-brown hair.
  • Blue eyes.
  • High cheekbones.
  • Small hands and feet.
  • Well-nourished.
  • Narrow, handsome face.
  • Fair complexion.
  • Strong jaw.
  • Slightly prominent nose.
  • Missing five teeth: One upper and three lower molars on the right side and a lower molar on the left.
  • Possibly of Scandinavian or Slavic descent.
  • Several tattoos:
    • One of the comic strip character "Jiggs" on the right calf
    • A cupid below an anchor on the right calf
    • "Helen-Paul" over a dove on the right arm
    • A butterfly on the right shoulder
    • Crossed flags on the left arm with "WCG" with an arrow through a heart.
    • The tattoos indicated a possible military history connected with seamanship possibly CG [COast Guard] or US Navy or prehaps a Merchant Marine

Clothing​

• The body was naked but some clothing was found at the scene.
    • Dark brown cashmere pants with a zipper.
    • A knit polo Park Royal Broadcloth shirt.
    • Two other shirts.
    • A worn brown hat.
    • White underwear with blue stripes and a laundry mark variously reported as "J.D.X.," "J.D.," or "J.D.A.".
    • Rather worn tan Oxford shoes with the laces tied together, size 7 1/2.
    • Thick socks were placed inside the shoes.

Sources​

LINK:

https:///wiki/Tattooed_Man

I’m now thinking Helen may have been a lover’s name and Paul might be the deceased’s name. Just a theory on his tattoo. I might be wrong.
My main theory is that Helen and Paul are his children or parents, but your theory definitely makes sense too.
If Helen and Paul are indeed his children and they are still alive, they are very elderly now, probably wondering what became of their father. I hope they get their answers before it's too late.

Also, the “polo shirt” may have looked like this (scroll down to “Men’s Casual Shirts”):

The cashmere pants seem at odds with the ‘worn’ cap and shoes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rockymountaingirl
Back