OH OH - Cynthia 'Cindy' Anderson, 20, Toledo, 4 Aug 1981

In the 1969-1970 school year at Rome Elementary in Rome, Ohio Jane was my classmate and had a crush on me. "Would you like to be called Cindy or Jane?" teacher Mrs. Berg aske her and she said "Jane." "When is your birthday?" Jane asked me. "May 7" I said. "I'm older than you." she said. Jane wore her feelings on her sleeve. She made a point of making it especially obvious that she liked me. She was inherently trusting unafraid of being mocked or rejected. I liked her too, but that is as much as I ever got to know her. Jane, Jane's friend Rebecca, me and my friend Dennis were at the top of the class. Then my parents moved from Ashtabula County to Guernsey County and I never saw her or any of them again.

Don't know what this is about, but Rome, Ohio is on the sw Ohio border and Ashtabula County is in the NE corner of the state. ?

:bump: for Cindy. :beats:

Snipped:

Anderson had received suspicious phone calls at work in the weeks prior to her disappearance which seemed to disturb her. Her family reported that she also suffered from recurring nightmares about being attacked by a man. Anderson's employers installed an emergency buzzer at her desk during the summer of 1981. She also kept the office's doors locked at all times. This was due to the harrassing calls and omnimous messages.

anderson_cynthia5.jpg

Cynthia 'Cindy' Jane Anderson

Sorry- does anyone understand what Goshem is saying in those posts? Aren't they a bit concerning?

He mentioned in one post that he has a mental illness. I had to use archive.org, but I looked around his website that he linked to and saw some things he'd posted on some discussion groups. Just about all of it seemed to support such an illness.

But I know that from where I am now in my life that there's no way in Hell that I'm in any place to call him out for any of that. I had a cat that was just about gone when she was a kitten and I had to do a whole lot just to help her survive. She was always scrawny and spoiled but she died today nearly 10-yrs old. That's put me in a terrible place and my mind definitely ain't working so well right now.

He sounds like he really knew Cynthia and he is from Ohio. Much of what I've seen him post has been about Cynthia and it doesn't sound like he would have ever done anything to hurt her. He wants to right what happened to her in his own way. Maybe losing a close friend (or girlfriend, perhaps) is what facilitated his illness going downhill. I hope, for his sake, that there is some kind of resolution in her case that will give him some peace.

Just watched the Unsolved Mysteries episode about Cynthia Anderson. Will have to check out the Trail Went Cold podcast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Through the years I often thought about Jane. I had dreams and visions about her, as I suffer from mental illness. In one dream she was tied up and bound on the first floor of a house. In another vision she had been burned alive and was being slowly tapered out of the pain. In hallucinations she called me "soldier," rejected God and believed in evolution. God had betrayed her. Eventually in 2006 I decided to check missing persons and found she had disappeared on August 4, 1981. I thought back. I had written a letter about Jane to a girl I was in love with named Carolyn. Carolyn rejected me and I wrote her offensive letters. 5 months later Jane disappeared. 3 months after that I attempted suicide.

Carolyn was attended George School in Newtown, PA, an expensive eastern secondary prep school. Her home was in Boulder, CO. She would have been at the end of her summer break between her junior and senior year on August 4, 1981. Her father was an economics professor in Boulder

http://tqe.quaker.org/2009/TQE162-EN-Jack.html

On August 4, 1981 I was working on a farm in Columbiana County, OH. I took a break for a week to attend a youth conference in Canada at Camp Nee Kau Nis, which started on August 9, 1981. I suspect Carolyn and her accomplices kidnapped Jane and were counting on me going to Canada through Toledo. Instead I went to Canada through upstate New York. This probably ruined their plans for me.

Carolyn was angry at me for my offensive letters to me and vowed to get revenge on me. She and her father scoured my letters to her, found Jane and developed a plan to kidnap Jane, use her to bait me in and kill us both. However Jane probably outsmarted them and it ended up just her death and not both of our deaths. She martyred herself for me. There is some kind of pact they made not to harm me, but they never forecasted that I'd find out. It would be no loss to them to dishonor the pact and kill me too. It just doesn't make sense. Unless Jane set up a reassurance that they wouldn't harm me. I have been spouting off about this for years without repercussion.

I met Carolyn in 1980 at John Woolman School in California at a YFNA gathering.

uhhhhhh... what?

I just watched her Unsolved Mysteries episode via Amazon Prime video. It gave an update at the end that said something along the lines of police think she overheard the plans of a ring of drug dealers and she is no longer alive. And that no charges were ever filed. I thought that conclusion would likely garner some news attention but didn’t find anything else about it. Her previous link to the Charley Project brings up a ‘page not found,’ though.

CAnderson.jpg
CJAnderson1.jpg

CJAnderson3.jpg
CJAnderson4.jpg
CJAnderson5.jpg

Cynthia Jane Anderson
Missing since August 4, 1981 from Toledo, Lucas County, Ohio.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: February 4, 1961
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4", 115 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown eyes; brown hair.
    • Marks, Scars: Chicken Pox scar on her forehead and a open fish hook shaped scar inside of her right knee about 1 and a half inch long.
    • Clothing: White v-neck dress with pink stripes, beige open-toed ankle strap sandals, and cinnamon brown Legg's pantyhose.
    • Dentals: Available
    • DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Anderson was last seen on August 4, 1981 at the law office where she worked on East Manhattan Boulevard in Toledo, Ohio. The law partners arrived back at the office after a meeting at noon to find the radio on and their desks prepared for the day. Anderson left her romance novel open on her desk to the only violent scene in the book, where the heroine is abducted at knifepoint. There was no sign of her elsewhere in the building and no signs of struggle. Her purse and keys were missing, but her car was locked in the parking lot outside of the office.

She always kept the doors to the office locked and a buzzer had been installed at her desk to alert the shop next door in case of trouble. This was due to strange and harassing phone calls she had been personally receiving.

Foul play is suspected.

Investigators

Toledo Police Department
419-245-3151

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 1504770
NCIC Number: M073304205
Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
California Department of Justice
Toledo Blade
Ohio Missing Persons
Unsolved Mysteries
NamUs MP #10491
The Doe Network: Case File 287DFOH

I think Cindy just left on her own to get away from her father and start a new life.

So, I've been following this case for a bit. I've seen it on Unsolved Mysteries multiple times and most recently on Buzzfeed Unsolved True Crime. This is also a local case for me, although I wasn't alive during the time she went missing.
A few questions come to mind that I haven't been able to find anywhere, and must therefore be in private police documents, or otherwise not documented within newspapers/ blogs.
Who was the informant who confessed to killing Cindy? I see no record of their name in any articles covering Cindy's case or Neller's trial.
What college was she planning to attend? I know it was most likely a religious college, where she was looking to possibly further her Christian studies.
Why was there no inquest into those suspected of killing her?
After said informant confessed, and from what I've read, multiple people brought up (during trial) that Cindy was killed by Rodriguez Jr. and/or Neller/ their associates. Now- why wouldn't the police question Neller further? (and/or his drug ring associates).
Also, side note to that "confession" I've read conflicting reports saying an informant confessed directly to her murder, while another report read that said information implicated Neller and Rodrigeuz Jr.
I'm also having a hard time finding her Christian denomination? In almost every article it mentions her family was religious fundamentalists- and Christian, but it's never mentioned which church she attended.
Does anyone know the romance novel she was reading? Also cannot find the name of it mentioned in any news articles or blog posts.
Did the office have a back door (possibly connected by a back hallway to other businesses in the strip mall), or was it a stand-alone building? Another discrepancy I cannot find in any news article.
It's also been hinted at in some comments (either on the Unsolved site or in other true crime columns) that the Toledo Police Department may have been dirty and that some sort of "cover-up" happened. Does anyone have any more (reliable) information to point to that?

I don't have many theories, but I discount the drug ring theory outright. Why would Neller and/or Rodriguez murder a secretary at a firm that might have heard something about their drug runs? To me, that seems like a very big risk. If you're already looking to peddle drugs, (weed, heroin, and cocaine, I believe), why murder a secretary from a firm you've worked with in the past? The only way I see this theory as being viable is if Cindy threatened to go to the Police with this info she overheard. Again- a very risky thing to do. Why threaten to expose them? They're already doing illegal things, I wouldn't want to become a blip on their radar. Cindy seemed very smart, and well-aware of her surroundings. She always kept the door to the offices locked while she worked alone. Which begs the question: who or what would make her unlock that door? I find it weird that the police quickly cleared the family and her boyfriend at the time- I'm not accusing them of anything nefarious. It's also odd to me that both Jim & Jay (lawyers of the firm) didn't report her missing until two and a half hours later! Clearly, the scene they arrived at was weird, Cindy wasn't there, and she didn't leave a note like she usually would've. They noted her car was in the lot as well- so she either left with someone (willing or unwilling) in another vehicle or she was on foot in the nearby area.

Things to note about the area of her disappearance:
1) It is very close to at least two highway on-ramps. For those of you familiar with the Toledo area, I-75 is a very quick way to get around town. Or even, get out of state & the country. We're less than an hour from the Canadian border.
2) If this strip mall/ law office was in the area I think it is- it is very populated. Not just with homes, but with other businesses as well. How did no one see her disappear? It's my conclusion this was either done by someone she trusted or she was already unconscious while being transported into a vehicle. Because someone being abducted would make noise/ drawn attention I presume.

It's unfortunate that there are so many questions and so many things unknown. If anyone can answer (or speculate) any of these questions for me- that would be awesome! I really have no working theories, for me, I have too many blank spaces to make a working puzzle. I'm also currently looking into property records (to see if that phone call has any credence) and getting in touch with one of The Blade's reporters, to see if there's any information or leads to look into.

As a last weird note- it's odd to me that the father listed Cynthia as dead in his obit. I would think a father would like to hold out hope for his child to be alive? I understand that her siblings are pretty much the only living family members, but to take away hope from them as well? Just weird to me. I overall hope that someone is able to find the right answers one day. And that we can finally put Cindy to rest, officially.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberlynn566
Back