OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, enroute to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
no the timeline is jumbled up here. Thurs night he is at friends house, goes home around 7. Friday he disappeared. Friday night they went out to eat 30 min away. Saturday doing something, got home and realized he hadn’t come home and reported it to police at 11:50 pm.
Thanks for spotting that, @Sonic7273 !
I'll go and edit if possible.

December 26th, 2019 - First Press Conference

Chief Hickman
  • Yesterday, at Christmas, a search was arranged with Ohio BCI, US Marshall’s Office, search and rescue teams from Ohio and outside of Kentucky, Ohio State Highway Patrol, Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office, Port Clinton Fire
  • Planning to search 150 acres. Searching as if Harley is still alive using live find dogs (do not bite people they are looking for) as well as cadaver dogs.
  • Asking Harley to come home and telling him he is not in trouble, want to reunite him with mom and dad
Questions
  • Looking East of Fulton Street (where it is blocked off), looking at 150 acres that are both wooded and farmland
  • There was video footage released that is Harley and is the last time he was seen
  • “Mom and Dad are cooperating fully. And have been since they reported it. There are agents currently talking to mom and dad right now. We’ve searched the house. We’ve got no hits at the house with cadaver dogs at this time. So we are branching out with the live find dogs and the cadaver dogs.”
  • “All I can tell you is in the past is when they have a conflict in the residence, Harley will go away for the night, the first night was not uncommon for Harley to not be there. He had broke his phone about a week ago, so they weren’t concerned that he did not call because he did not have a phone. They became concerned Saturday night after they returned home and he was still not home.”
  • No report of him being abducted and no vehicle mentioned = no Amber Alert
  • Harley fits criteria for Missing and Endangered
  • “On the video, he left by his own free will between the hours of 6 and 7.”
  • “In talking to the friends, no one has heard form Harley other than mom when he was going to school because he wasn’t feeling well. And she said ‘no, you’ll go to school because this is your last day (before break)”
  • “Don’t have a lot of leads…kind of at a standstill now”
  • “Nothing that we’ve viewed or nobody that we’ve talked to that would lead to that (when asked if it was possibly an abduction) but we’re not ruling it out”
  • Asked “Have you had dealings with the family in the past?” Answered “We’ve had a couple calls there. Harley was upset over an incident that happened at home and we were involved. And other than that, that’s about it.” Asked “Was that fairly recently?” And answered “Um…about a month ago.”
  • No comment on history of mental illness or depression or anything
  • “He will not warm up to you…he has to warm up to you before he will even look at you, so.”
  • Asked how he knows what Harley’s temperament is with other people. Answered “Through our school resource officers, the school administration, mom, dad, and his friends.”
  • Asked has he run away in the past. Answered “All I can tell you is his typical behavior is if something is not right at home, he will not come home that night and will come home the next day.”
  • Asked where he goes on those nights. Answered “He has a couple friends in town that he goes to visit. We’ve talked to both parents and his friends. And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s, his father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night. He was told to go home and the video coverage shows him going home at about 7:24”
  • Sister lives out of state, in touch with authorities there, there has done a check of the residence
  • No indication he was trying to get to his sister
  • “Nothing is missing from the house, credit cards or money”
  • Asked why it is believed he is in danger. Answered “The fact that he is 14 years old. Friday morning, when he left the house, it was approximately 18 degrees…they keep mentioning that puffy jacket. The coverage, I know it is grainy, it looks like he has a hoodie on. But again, video coverage is only as good as we can see. He may have the puffy jacket on over top of that or underneath it. The fact that he is 14 and hasn’t reached out to anybody, we are erring on the side of caution.”
  • Asked if there was any disagreement with the parents beyond I’m not feeling well and yes you’re going to school. Answered “That’s it.” Asked what time that was Friday morning. Answered “6 to 7 pm”
  • Asked about the incident where the police were called a month ago. Answered “He got a piece of electronics equipment taken away from him and he didn’t think it should be.” Asked if he was the person who called the police in that incident. Answered “No.” Asked if there was anything physical. Answered “The parents called and we just had to calm Harley down.”
  • Ground search began and police were also at the home earlier today, will finish 150 acre search today
  • "Harley was a likable student. He had friends he would talk to. He was a normal 14 year old kid."
  • SRO is exploring any possibility of bullying or anything like that
  • LE was watching surveillance video 24 hours around the clock, including Christmas
Damn your quick @alyssa5597 did you watch it at 4x speed?! I don’t see a mention of a friend father there unless I missed it.

doh! I guess I did! Quoting your post:

“Asked where he goes on those nights. Answered “He has a couple friends in town that he goes to visit. We’ve talked to both parents and his friends. And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s, his father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night. He was told to go home and the video coverage shows him going home at about”
eta: this could be read differently depending on punctuation though...

“And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s, his father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night.”

His friend father? Or his father?

Could it be “And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s. His father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night.”?

Last edited:
bbm

Wonder why the cops were called ?
Just saying some people handle this privately.
Was Harley yelling ?
Out of control breaking things ?
Did the parents have to restrain him at all ?
Did the sister help to calm him and failed ?
Were the neighbors upset ?

Even with Harley's broken phone I don't know that waiting until Sat. night was the best option.
Might be too much like a controlling helicopter parent, but they could have called around to all of his friends or driven by their homes.
Imo.
Maybe it’s just me but if my 14 year old daughter or son had a broken phone or had lost phone privileges for any reason, I would not be leaving them with a neighbor or friend without us both knowing I would be away for a specific time and that my child was entrusted to them while I was away. No way would I leave them locked out of the house and not ascertaining who would be responsible for them while I was gone. Especially if I knew I was going to be miles away drinking and dining. This would never happen in my family but indeed I am somewhat protective.
ETA there is a reason we parents pay for cellphones and service and it’s not so the kids can be on social media. It’s to make us available to them 24/7 and vice versa. Safety is always the priority IMO

Damn your quick @alyssa5597 did you watch it at 4x speed?! I don’t see a mention of a friend father there unless I missed it.

doh! I guess I did! Quoting your post:

“Asked where he goes on those nights. Answered “He has a couple friends in town that he goes to visit. We’ve talked to both parents and his friends. And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s, his father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night. He was told to go home and the video coverage shows him going home at about”​

I've transcribed too many press conferences these days, I'm getting too good for my own good, I think!

It's at 10:54 in the video you posted.

I agree, I have a very young looking 14 year old grandson. This scares me to death. Grandpa has been turning on the stranger danger warnings with him ever since I heard about this. But something tells me this is an insider. Don't ask why, it is just my gut. Harley was (is) a difficult kid. I could see how something in that household just got out of control.

I'm not saying he was a difficult child,

BBM - actually you said exactly that! I respect your opinion but I don't agree with it, I just don't think we have enough information at this point to determine anything like that.

Actually I didn't think you were playing the Devil's Advocate at all. :)

She should know by now what shirt is missing from his closet.
So many gaps in the timeline and now we're not sure of what he was wearing under the puffer maroon vest.

Someone posted that there are marinas, where people have stashed their boats for the winter.
So if Harley had some clothing in the laundry hamper maybe they can get a scent and have dogs looking there ?

I've had a few 14 year old in my house; e.g., a son and a few grandsons. All you would need to do is pick up a few dirty socks, underwear, and discarded pants on the floor to pick up their scent. LOL

eta: this could be read differently depending on punctuation though...

“And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s, his father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night.”

His friend father? Or his father?

Could it be “And the only person outside of the video coverage is we have a resident, one of his friend’s. His father talked to him 7 o’clock Thursday night.”?

Definitely can be read different just be reading my text version. Actually watching it, it seemed clear to me he meant the friend's father but I could be wrong, he seems to fumble over words quite a bit at times.

In regards to that surveillance footage, if they are asking now asking for any surveillance footage from 3pm - 12 am, it would seem to me there is just as much doubt that that is Harley on the surveillance around 7pm Thursday as there may be doubt it is him on the surveillance Friday morning IMO.

I
I've had a few 14 year old in my house; e.g., a son and a few grandsons. All you would need to do is pick up a few dirty socks, underwear, and discarded pants on the floor to pick up their scent. LOL
They reek of testosterone! And puberty! They really do!
And dirty socks and stuff are literally everywhere!

I have not placed blame on his mother for disappearing or harming him.
I am trying to nail down an actual timeline.
Facts seem to be VERY HARD to come by in this case. That bothers me. If someone took him - they have Atleast a 44 hour head start. That’s IMPORTANT as it is inconvenient

I’m disregarding all the police calls because I think this is a “go-to” technique in that house, calling police or threatening with a stay at juvenile hall, etc. I think it’s teenage conflict handled by attempting to use police as disciplinarians.

Umm... yeah. Because girls aren’t messy at all, or have dirty socks, and don’t go through puberty. Ok lol
Would it be fair for me to blame the older brother’s influence?! You’re not wrong though at least boys don’t hide bloody things everywhere which the dog locates and shreds throughout! Lol
Both genders are guilty of hiding dirty plates and silverware too. Wish Harley would come home and commit any of these types of heinous yet laughable offenses!
We don’t know how good we have it until another kid comes missing. Horrifically true! IMO

Would it be fair for me to blame the older brother’s influence?! You’re not wrong though at least boys don’t hide bloody things everywhere which the dog locates and shreds throughout! Lol
Both genders are guilty of hiding dirty plates and silverware too. Wish Harley would come home and commit any of these types of heinous yet laughable offenses!
We don’t know how good we have it until another kid comes missing. Horrifically true! IMO
As an eldest sibling, I plead the fifth. None of it was my fault! Lol

Luckily I’ve never had first hand experience with a missing persons case. I hope I never do. My heart goes out to those who have.

Sorry to digress here, but I felt we needed a little humor. This case really is bumming me out.
Agreed. Though I must admit, as a 60s model product, I had to google the definition of “progeny”

I

They reek of testosterone! And puberty! They really do!
And dirty socks and stuff are literally everywhere!

I raised a son, he was always a clean tidy kid, even made his bed everyday. The problem I had was he took two showers a day and used TWO FRESH TOWELS each shower and a complete wardrobe change.

Because he was an only child, he had a ton of clothes, he loves clothes and no -unless I saw him walk out the door, I wouldn’t know what was missing from his wardrobe.

PLAYING MM20 FOR FUN *SORRYFORMYDAD*
Posted Aug 31, 2019

Harley posts a video while his parents are audibly fighting in the background. I transcribed as much as I could. Transcript starts from 10:53 in the video.
_________

Dad screams: GOD DAMNIT!
Mom: Why?
Dad: He just fu*kig spilled the fu*king pop all over the fu*king table by throwing that stupid *advertiser censored* thing at me.
Mom: Marc, he is 4 years old!
Harley: Sorry if you heard that in the background. My dad’s a little….mad right now.
Dad: All over the electrics too.
Mom: Well you don’t have to be a total as*hole about everything. How about you clean it up?
Dad: I am cleaning it up.
Harley: My dad’s being rude. Sorry.
Mom: He needs to learn how to throw s*it.
Mom: You’re mean. I don’t fu*king like this. This s*it that you do is done. You are so fu*king mean. He is a child! It was an accident. He’s gonna sit there and say “Oh I’m gonna fu*k up my mom and dad’s stuff?”
Dad: He knows
Mom: Okay well I think that’s...(inaudible)…fu*king hard. Um that’s not my phone thank you, that’s Nicole’s phone. Keep throwing her s*it.
Dad: Nicole who?
Mom: Last name redacted
Dad: Why do you have her phone? (Something inaudible)
Harley: My dad’s being an as*hole right now. My bad. (Deep sigh)
Dad: There you go with your mouth.
Mom: Oh my mouth?
Dad: Yeah.
Mom: How’s this? Take your *advertiser censored* and get the fu*k out of our lives. Because until you…(inaudible)…if I have to go to a doctor and get whatever….(inaudible). You have been nothing but…
Mom: You need a fu*king counselor.
Harley: Team you can pause the video if you want. There you go… There you go… I’m gonna have to see what’s going on with my family but I’ll see you guys next video. Peace.

Last edited:
I raised a son, he was always a clean tidy kid, even made his bed everyday. The problem I had was he took two showers a day and used TWO FRESH TOWELS each shower and a complete wardrobe change.

Because he was an only child, he had a ton of clothes, he loves clothes and no -unless I saw him walk out the door, I wouldn’t know what was missing from his wardrobe.
My nieces are the same. Here’s hoping Harley is home and making more laundry for his parents soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieKel