Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this mean there was 2 fireplaces? I guess I don't understand. A flue is just the internal pipe or whatever of a chimney right?

I believe it’s one fireplace/chimney but had a fireplace on first and second floor at one point that were useable. The owner may not have even known it was blocked.

Assuming the autopsy does rule accidental, the only question is what made him go down the chimney willingly? I guess he didn't want to go to school and this was a place for him to hide?

Other than the fact he was 14 years old and at that age, they don't always think about their actions.

The whole thing is bizarrely tragic, especially when you think this happened over Christmas.

0992s.jpg

Unclear at the moment if there was a second fireplace on the second floor where the jacket and glasses were found, but there may at least have been another exit to the flue. If I'm understanding the presser's description right, Harley was found stuck between the first and second floor, where there was a blockage before the ground level exit.

I am so upset like others.

The excuse he gave about not entering the house before yesterday because they did not see forced entry is just plain stupid IMO. Lets say a window was open and he had crawled inside and then locked the window. Or like what happened with the chimney.

Sorry but that excuse fails miserably. I know they are human and make errors so I forgive them for any errors they made. But I also know if I am ever needing to search for someone, I am going to arrange my own personal search party no matter what LE tells me. Time was of the essence and perhaps he could have been saved if they had gotten there in time.

Gonna sit on my hands and cry for awhile. :(

In all fairness, law enforcement did request all property owners do a search of their vacation properties very early on.

I too would have bypassed a house with zero signs of forced entry & locked up tight as a drum.

Or someone else had that key and hid him in the chimney- I cannot imagine why he would get in the chimney on his own.
He climbed down from the roof, after going up an antenna, like a ladder. They must have some proof of that, it sure was not my guess. My bet now is that he figured he could get out on the second floor, and encountered just a flue, instead of a real fireplace. So he took off his glasses and jacket, shoved them through the flue, which might have been one of those circular air controllers, left behind after remodeling. (like on a wood stove) he could probably push that open. Then he probably couldn't go back up, so he kept going down, and may have had to stop at other remodeling or blockage of that chimney. Lots of fireplaces are not open for santa to climb into, they have sophisticated heat savers on them.

I just think if he had used that house before he would have found an easier way in and out.
Whatever the cause its a horrific way for a child to die, alone in the dark.

And I don't expect the police to check EVERY Empty home but I would have thought a house across the street or minutes from his home would have been prime to check.

In the building I work in there is a chimney that turns. If you can imagine looking at two floors, on the ground floor the fireplace opens to your left. You go up a floor and the fireplace is to your right in that room.

So it's one chimney but with a left facing side on the ground floor and a right facing floor above it.

It could be something like that.

I am so upset like others.

The excuse he gave about not entering the house before yesterday because they did not see forced entry is just plain stupid IMO. Lets say a window was open and he had crawled inside and then locked the window. Or like what happened with the chimney.

Sorry but that excuse fails miserably. I know they are human and make errors so I forgive them for any errors they made. But I also know if I am ever needing to search for someone, I am going to arrange my own personal search party no matter what LE tells me. Time was of the essence and perhaps he could have been saved if they had gotten there in time.

Gonna sit on my hands and cry for awhile. :(
Especially when you see the picture of the antenna tower "ladder" right by the roof and chimney. In hindsight it all looks so obvious. :(

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 280
"Appears".
Even if it was accidental, if they'd looked that Fri. night after he didn't show up at school --he'd be ALIVE.
It would've taken a while for him to die. Most likely two weeks or more.
He basically starved to death.

Not necessarily. He could have broken his neck and died relatively quickly. Or injured himself in some other way that would have resulted in a quicker death. I think it will depend on what the autopsy says.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim