OH OH - John Hundley & James McQueary, both 9, Fairfax, 15 Oct 1964

I'm surprised he's still in the area also. My other brother has seen him a few times. Don't know how he can sleep at night, if he is guilty. I assume he still lives in the house on Meadowlark. The woods, where l believe the boys are buried, is tight behind that house. Guess if you have no conscious, things like that don't bother you.

The property at 3758 Meadowlark Lane has not been in the McKee family name since late 1990. If Gary is still living in the local area, it would be at a location other than that one.

I would say that the last solid sighting, from someone who knew the boys, would be the waitress at the restaurant. The outstanding bill, which was just over a dollar, was paid with a $20 note - even though the boy's mum had given him the exact money to pay it. $20 seems a huge amount for a 9 year old to have in their possession in 1964 imo. I think it's more likely to be connected with someone with status - and money. Somebody with whom the boys would go with willingly, possibly an authority figure in their community and I think when they do turn up that they'll be miles away from their homes. JMO.

I agree about the $20.00 bill. Where did they get that money from ? jmo Also, why did they pay with that bill when they had the exact amount owed ? Were they going to split the 20.00 between them, and that's why they needed to break that bill ? Did they get a ride with someone when they left the parking lot area ? jmo

Didn't know about any 20 dollar bill. Didn't know they owed a bill until after the fact. Jimmys mom must have gave them the money for the bill. Johnny took pop bottles to cash in at the market up the street, that day, after he came home from school. The unpaid bill didn't come out til after the fact. I don't think anyone gave them a ride because they were seen, after leaving Frisches, on their way to the school grounds walking.

I just ran $20 through the inflation calculator and that would amount to $153.44 today-WOW! How many 9-year-olds are running around with over $153 in their pockets today (none)? The restaurant should have known something was wrong, in my opinion.

I just ran $20 through the inflation calculator and that would amount to $153.44 today-WOW! How many 9-year-olds are running around with over $153 in their pockets today (none)? The restuarant should have known something was wrong, in my opinion.

Exactly. Something so wrong about the money. If we could find out who gave them that 20 bill we might find out a whole lot. jmo

Though I wonder how a 14-year-old could stab these two boys and bury them in the woods so quickly, I also find his confession quite peculiar.

An excerpt in the September 15, 1967 edition of The San Bernardino County Sun states:
"[Police Lt. Edward C.] Stevens said young McKee walked into a San Diego church and told his story to the Rev. Willard C. Laatz, who then called the police."

Why, I wonder, would he walk into a Lutheran church and confess his sin to the reverend if he were only doing so to get out of the military. Seems to me there'd be plenty of other individuals to whom he could have chosen to provide his confession that would ensure he'd no longer be in the military. I can't help but think he may have had this on his conscience and thought the reverend would not relay the information to the government authorities.

I asked my other brother about the $20 because l don't remember hearing that back then. He told me that they did have a $20 bill & that Jimmys mom gave it to them to pay the bill at Frisches. I assume they were suppose to take the change back to her. I agree with the above post. McKee lived very close to Frisches & could've ran into them. Especially if they were headed to the school. He needs to be questioned again but they say they can't because they exonerated him. You don't think too much Aeronomy.....l do it everyday!!

I don't understand why there was nothing done to him for lying to the chaplain....l don't understand a lot of things!! Somethings just don't add up!!!

I don't think Gary McKee was ever legally exonerated such as if he would have been acquitted following a trial. I think it is more like Fairfax authorities felt they just did not have enough evidence to charge him in the deaths of Jimmy and Johnny.

Yes, I don't think this guy could be legally exonerated until he is acquitted or, perhaps, if he could prove that he didn't do it, such as, there's a record that he was in the hospital or at football practice or something of the sort.

It would be interesting to know the whereabouts of the likes of John Gacy, Kenneth Hansen, William Guatney and Herb Baumeister on this date.

I asked my other brother about the $20 because l don't remember hearing that back then. He told me that they did have a $20 bill & that Jimmys mom gave it to them to pay the bill at Frisches. I assume they were suppose to take the change back to her. I agree with the above post. McKee lived very close to Frisches & could've ran into them. Especially if they were headed to the school. He needs to be questioned again but they say they can't because they exonerated him. You don't think too much Aeronomy.....l do it everyday!!

I don't understand why there was nothing done to him for lying to the chaplain....l don't understand a lot of things!! Somethings just don't add up!!!

It's strange, but upthread it was reported that J.'s mom had given him the exact amount of money to pay at the restaurant. I read that it was $1 dollar plus some change that his mom had given him. Yet, he paid what he owed at the restaurant using a $20.00 bill. and apparently no one knew where that money came rom. Baffling. jmo

Exonerated was the word that Steve Kelly, current chief of police, used. McKee was never put on trial & as far as l know nothing was done to him by the armed services. I know he is still walking around alive while my brother & his friend Jimmy are still missing. I don't remember my mom giving Johnny any money to pay the bill at Frisches. Why would've the employees at Frisches even let them leave if they owed for something? Looks like they would've contacted parents or authorities!! If Johnny had money, why was he cashing in pop bottles? A lot of things just don't add up!! We never got much cooperation from the PD back then. The chief then, Chief Finan, was just in a hurry to get the case closed. IMO McKee has the answer to this tragedy. They need to put their radar on him...

Who are these persons mentioned above by Stan Reid? Again another 1st!! First time I've heard these names...

Who are these persons mentioned above by Stan Reid? Again another 1st!! First time I've heard these names...

Three are midwest serial killers who were the right age at the time and known for killing young males. Hansen, the other, was the man who was convicted in 1995 of murdering three boys in Chicago during 1955.

I think it is strange that two young boys would have had a $20 bill given to them by James' mother to pay a bill that was a dollar and a few cents. If it is verified she gave them the $20, then was the money the motive for what happened to them? New light needs to shine on this case. Feathers need to be ruffled. Fires need to be lit under some butts. If main suspect is still walking free, he should be re-interviewed and alibi confirmed. The second guy - we still have no name for him? I thought I read it in one of the articles???

I'm very much in agreement with the last post. You hear now of various law enforcement offices working on "cold cases". This is certainly one. With regards to the "second guy" who may have been involved along with Gary McKee, I have never seen that name in print - either in the newspaper, in TV stores recapping this matter or in any of the posts here. I do think there are people still around who may have information as to what happened to Jimmy and Johnny. I can't recall if any reward was ever offered for information and, if so, if that reward is still available.

I think it is strange that two young boys would have had a $20 bill given to them by James' mother to pay a bill that was a dollar and a few cents. If it is verified she gave them the $20, then was the money the motive for what happened to them? New light needs to shine on this case. Feathers need to be ruffled. Fires need to be lit under some butts. If main suspect is still walking free, he should be re-interviewed and alibi confirmed. The second guy - we still have no name for him? I thought I read it in one of the articles???

Here is what I have read :

1. The boys were seen to have the $20.00 bill in the restaurant. They had an outstanding charge that they went to the restaurant to pay.It was around a dollar and change that they owed at the restaurant. They paid the outstanding charge with a $20.00 bill.

2. It was reported that the one of the boys' mom had given him the exact amount of money he owed the restaurant -- around a dollar and change. Apparently she never said that she gave him a $20.00 dollar bill. I think if it could be discovered who did give the boys 20.00 dollars, it would uncover a lot of info, but jmo

My mother never gave Johnny any money, exact change or a $20 bill. She didn't even know about the outstanding bill until it came out after their disappearance!! Talked to my other brother & he said it was told Jimmys mother gave him the $20!! I agree, someone needs to light some fire under someones butt...its been way to long!! I talked to a detective at Fairfax PD just the other day. They have followed some leads they have had & have more to check out but the ones they have checked have turned up nothing!! It's absolutely heartbreaking!! Hopefully something will turn up!! I asked the detective about the other boy that has been mentioned on here & he says he has no knowledge of another boy. Keep us in your prayers please. Maybe they will find out something. Closure is long overdue!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spunky55
Back