OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the cell phone is a key piece of the puzzle. Of all her personal items, it's the one Katelyn probably would've had on her/in her hands if she was just hanging around the house when the perpetrator confronted her. At the same time, it's the only one of her personal items that could've been traced. I tend to believe it's no accident that the cell phone was taken along with Katelyn.

I wonder if Katelyn kept her cell phone in a pocket, i.e., in her jeans or shirt. Was it small enough to fit in a pocket? If so, the killer might not have realized the phone was on her person until he was headed out of town with her. On the other hand, maybe the killer took and disposed of Katelyn's cell phone intentionally because there was something incriminating on it. JC talks about a picture of a picture Katelyn sent him after he left her place. I think "the picture of a picture" statement is only a half truth; I think it was an incriminating picture of someone else taken shortly before she was murdered. I don't know what type of cell phone Katelyn had, but I imagine any camera phone would have an optional setting that prevents a photo from being erased. So, the perp may have been desperate to dispose of the phone.

Reading statements at the following links and the NG transcripts Treelights posted makes me feel more certain that Katelyn broke off her engagement to JC the night she was last seen alive.

http://.blogspot.ca/2013/04/john-carter-radio-interview.html
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region...nd-where-investigators-might-turn-for-answers

This statement in the radio interview is the kicker:
JC: Well, uh, we weren't going to get married until way after we moved out. Um, I mean, I wasn't rushing anything. I mean neither one of us wanted to. The original plan was to actually leave in October, but then my brother was coming into town, so she and I suggested to just wait until after he came in town, so we decided to postpone it till November; and she could have easily have said, "I just don't want to go," and I would have been totally fine with that. There was no - you know, we weren't forcing it. You know, we weren't trying to do anything we couldn't handle.
The question is what happened to the engagement ring? Did Katelyn take it off and throw it or hand it to JC? Or did the killer take it off her finger after she was deceased because of its monetary value? If LE hasn't located the ring yet, I think they should find a replica of that ring and post pictures of it, especially showing it at pawn shops, on the chance someone will recognize it and the transaction.

The ring is obviously a sensitive issue for JC. Even if LE hasn't found Katelyn's ring, what if they purchased a replica and claimed they found Katelyn's ring. What would JC's reaction be? :scared:

IMO, the quote above was the basis of contention between JC and Katelyn just before she disappeared, it holds the motive for Katelyn's murder, and it's the key to solving the case. :moo:

I'm half saddened that Katelyn has been found and half glad that her family have closure. Her poor Father. :(

I just saw this this morning, my heart breaks! I went to look for more information about the remains of Hailey Dunn, and this popped up! Damn, what a horrible find....deep inside I thought she might be alive somewhere.....I have no idea why I thought this was going to turn out different! RIP

Reading statements at the following links and the NG transcripts Treelights posted makes me feel more certain that Katelyn broke off her engagement to JC the night she was last seen alive.

http://.blogspot.ca/2013/04/john-carter-radio-interview.html
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region...nd-where-investigators-might-turn-for-answers

This statement in the radio interview is the kicker:
The question is what happened to the engagement ring? Did Katelyn take it off and throw it or hand it to JC? Or did the killer take it off her finger after she was deceased because of its monetary value? If LE hasn't located the ring yet, I think they should find a replica of that ring and post pictures of it, especially showing it at pawn shops, on the chance someone will recognize it and the transaction.

The ring is obviously a sensitive issue for JC. Even if LE hasn't found Katelyn's ring, what if they purchased a replica and claimed they found Katelyn's ring. What would JC's reaction be? :scared:

IMO, the quote above was the basis of contention between JC and Katelyn just before she disappeared, it holds the motive for Katelyn's murder, and it's the key to solving the case. :moo:

Yes,and by law a woman does not have to give back an engagement ring, and I think that holds true to every state in the USA, my opinion. So, she did not have to give it back. Now, whether it was with her remains is another story!
If the ring was pawned/sold, there would be a 30 day hold on the ring, with identification required, with paperwork written up, with reputable businesses.
Now, if the ring was sold on the internet, that may be a different story, I do not know how that works.
The radio interview is noteworthy!! Thanks for posting it!!

Yes,and by law a woman does not have to give back an engagement ring, and I think that holds true to every state in the USA, my opinion. So, she did not have to give it back. Now, whether it was with her remains is another story!
If the ring was pawned/sold, there would be a 30 day hold on the ring, with identification required, with paperwork written up, with reputable businesses.
Now, if the ring was sold on the internet, that may be a different story, I do not know how that works.
The radio interview is noteworthy!! Thanks for posting it!!
I hadn't thought about him trying to sell the ring on the Internet. He could have sold it directly to someone for drugs, too. I wonder what was the ring's value? If it wasn't with Katelyn's body or found in her townhouse, someone knows something about that ring and if people know what to look for it can be traced because someone has seen it.

I don't know if many women today return their engagement ring when they break off a relationship. That has been the center of some nasty disputes between couples who split up, so I can imagine a bit of a tussle between Katelyn and JC if she didn't want to return the ring. Maybe she didn't want him to have the ring back, so she took it off and put it away before announcing to JC that she wanted to break off their engagement (again, just speculating). But, that could explain the disarray in Katelyn's bedroom that JC so readily blamed on Katelyn's dog - JC could have entered the BR to look for the ring amid KM's protests. It could also explain why the dog was locked in the bedroom instead of the bathroom where he was normally kept while Katelyn was out - because the room was already in disarray from the struggle between JC and Katelyn, in which Katelyn was killed (perhaps strangled), JC locked the dog in the room so there would be a ready explanation for the disarray. All :moo::moo::moo:

I hadn't thought about him trying to sell the ring on the Internet. He could have sold it directly to someone for drugs, too. I wonder what was the ring's value? If it wasn't with Katelyn's body or found in her townhouse, someone knows something about that ring and if people know what to look for it can be traced because someone has seen it.

I don't know if many women today return their engagement ring when they break off a relationship. That has been the center of some nasty disputes between couples who split up, so I can imagine a bit of a tussle between Katelyn and JC if she didn't want to return the ring. Maybe she didn't want him to have the ring back, so she took it off and put it away before announcing to JC that she wanted to break off their engagement (again, just speculating). But, that could explain the disarray in Katelyn's bedroom that JC so readily blamed on Katelyn's dog - JC could have entered the BR to look for the ring amid KM's protests. It could also explain why the dog was locked in the bedroom instead of the bathroom where he was normally kept while Katelyn was out - because the room was already in disarray from the struggle between JC and Katelyn, in which Katelyn was killed (perhaps strangled), JC locked the dog in the room so there would be a ready explanation for the disarray. All :moo::moo::moo:

I wanted to add that the ring could also be sold as "scrap", and depending on the metal it was, whether it be gold, white gold, platinum, or even sterling, would garner income, except that the stones would be of no value to the person buying it for scrap to be melted at a refinery, so the stones could be taken out of the prong settings previous to being scrapped.

This connection intrigues me. Could the person behind this be a trucker?

"Markham's remains were discovered one week ago along a creek near Cedar Grove, Indiana. Markham had been missing since August of 2011, where she was last seen by her fiance at their Fairfield home.

"In Indiana, maybe 75 miles away at Bloomington, Laura Spierer disappeared from the planet on June 3rd, 2011," explains Krumbein.

Spierer's disappearance preceded the disappearance of Markham by only two months. Spierer's body has never been found. In December of 1997, 23-year-old Laney Gwinner vanished from a Fairfield bowling alley. Months later, her body was found in the Ohio River.

"White females that disappeared with no explanation and two out of the three were found dead," said Krumbein. "I think this could be the act of a serial killer."

http://www.fox19.com/story/21975966/attorney-katelyn-markham-was-murdered-by-serial-killer

According to the Ohio Bar Association website, Ohio law generally calls for an engagement ring to be given back to its purchaser if an engagement ends. It's seen as a conditional gift given with the expectation of marriage; if the marriage doesn't happen, whoever bought it is usually entitled to getting it back:

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-429.aspx

"Q:My fiancé recently ended our engagement and I spent $3,000 on an engagement ring. She refuses to give the ring back. Am I entitled to the ring according to the law?
A:Under Ohio law, unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the engagement ring is considered a conditional gift, given in contemplation of marriage. When, as in your case, the implied condition of the marriage is not met, then you are entitled to recover the ring or its value."

According to the Ohio Bar Association website, Ohio law generally calls for an engagement ring to be given back to its purchaser if an engagement ends. It's seen as a conditional gift given with the expectation of marriage; if the marriage doesn't happen, whoever bought it is usually entitled to getting it back:

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-429.aspx

"Q:My fiancé recently ended our engagement and I spent $3,000 on an engagement ring. She refuses to give the ring back. Am I entitled to the ring according to the law?
A:Under Ohio law, unless there is an agreement to the contrary, the engagement ring is considered a conditional gift, given in contemplation of marriage. When, as in your case, the implied condition of the marriage is not met, then you are entitled to recover the ring or its value."

Thanks for looking this info up about Ohio law regarding an engagement ring.

This connection intrigues me. Could the person behind this be a trucker?

"Markham's remains were discovered one week ago along a creek near Cedar Grove, Indiana. Markham had been missing since August of 2011, where she was last seen by her fiance at their Fairfield home.

"In Indiana, maybe 75 miles away at Bloomington, Laura Spierer disappeared from the planet on June 3rd, 2011," explains Krumbein.

Spierer's disappearance preceded the disappearance of Markham by only two months. Spierer's body has never been found. In December of 1997, 23-year-old Laney Gwinner vanished from a Fairfield bowling alley. Months later, her body was found in the Ohio River.

"White females that disappeared with no explanation and two out of the three were found dead," said Krumbein. "I think this could be the act of a serial killer."

http://www.fox19.com/story/21975966/attorney-katelyn-markham-was-murdered-by-serial-killer

i suppose anything is possible, but in both katelyn and lauren's cases, there are enough shady real-life acquaintances to look at before i would move on to thinking about a serial killer. JMO, but i think it's just as valid as a random guy not at all involved in KM's investigation :)

If Katelyns remains werent found in another state within miles of JC family owning property I would tend to consider other options. This pretty much seals the deal for me. A random SC just would not have that information. I am open to COD though. Whatever happened Id bet a boob JC knows.

Can you explain, Tarabull? Do you believe JC hired a hitman, or do you think he's completely innocent of Katelyn's murder?

TIA!

ETA: No, you're not crazy. Just Tarabull. :drumroll::dance:
@Tarabull: I hope you know I was only kidding. Really, I think you're terrific. :hug:

I am interested in your theory as to who killed Katelyn. A hitman? A stranger? TIA
I agree with Jerri Blank that Katelyn and Lauren Speier's cases aren't linked. There aren't that many similarities.

I'd really like to know whether LE found Katelyn's cell phone. I think it holds a lot of clues. I don't see any updates in the news, so I wonder how the investigation is proceeding. I hope there is justice for Katelyn soon.

If Katelyns remains werent found in another state within miles of JC family owning property I would tend to consider other options. This pretty much seals the deal for me. A random SC just would not have that information. I am open to COD though. Whatever happened Id bet a boob JC knows.
ITA. No way I think that was coincidental. The killer was familiar with the dumping site. It's off the main road ... the road that leads to JC's family's property.

I've been occupied but jumping in to answer the question up thread --- NO I don't think JC hired a hitman. :scared:

It's just that I suspect - people (friends and/or associates) quite likely knew very well where JC's family had property. :moo: (IIRC, some 'friends/associates' may have even went/been there with JC at some point over the years...?!?!?!)

Of course, I don't for a minute believe Katelyn's murderer was a stranger. :moo:

I consider JC his own worst enemy - clumsy, awkward...and of course he believe's himself to be the last person to have seen Katelyn. :moo:

If only that ring would surface and perhaps it has. :please:

I hope we hear more soon.

JUSTICE for Katelyn.

:justice:

:seeya:

@Indy Anna: back at you, you're terrific too!

:grouphug:

A friend on facebook shared this with me this morning from the missing fb page. She wrote that it reminded her of what I said about Katelyn at the Jan vigil and OMG - she is so right.

FUN LOVING COLORFUL KATELYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=474987872573146&set=pb.177646608973942.-2207520000.1367421633.&type=3&theater

I keep checking in to see if there's anything new. I hope that we know soon who harmed Katelyn and can watch justice be served.

A friend on facebook shared this with me this morning from the missing fb page. She wrote that it reminded her of what I said about Katelyn at the Jan vigil and OMG - she is so right.

FUN LOVING COLORFUL KATELYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=474987872573146&set=pb.177646608973942.-2207520000.1367421633.&type=3&theater

The pictures of Katelyn make me so happy and fill me with such frustration and anger. She is the definition of "full of life". How could anyone snuff that light out? Her personality just shines through her pictures. I really pray there is some closure here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyLFC1892