OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps "hilljack" is a regional thing. I use the term more than I use "hillbilly". I've lived in Greater Cincy for 40 years, and grew up on the very eastside.

I also wanted to throw out a thought pertaining to Appalachia. (Pike County would be included.) It is very common for Appalachian people to have a strong dislike for "Big Brother". While the community where the Rhodens live seems very close knit, and everyone knows everyone, that doesn't necessarily mean that folks are willing to talk to the police. I can hear some of you saying, "But this is different. If I lived there, and I knew something, I would be knocking down the sheriff's door to tell him." I assure you, if you feel this way, then you don't have a strong dislike of authority/government/"johnny law". The strong dislike is very real and the feelings are deep-seated.

Many Appalachian families have an arsenal that would prepare them for the Zombie Apocalypse. The mindset is akin to "This is MY land, MY family, and I will handle things MY way. I don't need, or want, an outsider digging around in MY business."

For those who do not live in that culture it may sound a bit paranoid. But it is reality. I remember being in line at a store in an Appalachian area just east of where I live and a man refusing to give his billing zip-code to the cashier because it was "none of her business". After a few minutes of arguing with her, he left the store without his cart full of groceries that were already bagged and ready to go. While I thought that was a bit strange, as I began to encounter more folks from out "east" through work and social relationships, the reality of the "Big Brother" culture truly sank in.

I hope no one takes any of this as negative, it is merely a statement on the culture of the area. If you would like to say something chastising me, please respond to this:

I like my chili on spaghetti, and so do other people where I live.:slap:

I hadn't heard the term, maybe because my hillbilly and redneck family and friends come from areas 1) south -- but definitely hillbilly, and that's what they call themselves and 2) Southwest. Ranching area and mountain towns. I grew up with mostly redneck family, though some I might describe as more "country" than redneck. :) At any rate, I'm really familiar with that mindset. Both my side of the family and my partner's moved back out as soon as they could. Like, 30 minutes from ANYwhere out. They want to be left alone and mind their own business, too. My partner's dad is also the prepper type. He's also from a long line of do-it-yourselfers and try to keep out the law and outsiders if at all possible. Oh--and I totally believe that zip code story! My dad and father in law are the EXACT SAME WAY. And I understand it, because I grew up with it.

So I know where you're coming from. HOWEVER, I will indeed take issue with whatever the heck you're calling "chili." Chili is beans, hot sauce, spices, onions, and ground beef. Maybe some tomatoes. It can go with crackers or cornbread. Never have I ever heard of noodles and chili :thinking: !! "Chile" is something else entirely, that hardly anyone outside my area can understand. :D

Okay, but the temp wouldn't be to cold in a drafty barn like that? I almost felt like in the statement that DS made he was implying that he was looking for what he found. Almost like he was seeing if it was gone? (speculation on my part) To me it would seem that the inside would need to be modified in order for that building to work for starts, clones what have you. Which in reality could be done on the inside and you wouldn't know unless you went inside as long as they did a good job and you couldn't see the "lights" at night if they were running on a longer cycle. Along with any wire they ran for power which could easily be buried. JMO of course
On a side note someone mentioned earlier about the smell. I know that you can have a pretty high tech ventilation system that you run at an optimal time to reduce the chance of the it smelling at the wrong time ie when people are headed to or from work. Most people run those in the middle of the night when people are sleeping in my area. Well they did prior to this year but its legal both for rec and med now so people don't care and about every 20 ft. it smells like someone hit a dang skunk! (this was regarding CR1 location) JMO and experience once again. must make sure I note that.

The roof would keep the frost off, maybe that stovepipe is functional, if that's what it is.

Seedlings wouldn't stink for quite a few months. But we don't know exactly what state the plants were in.

If it's true there were plants in there, the shed must've been at least viable.

Just wonder are the motorcycles they owned at storage? Heard only cars.
Maybe they didn't own anymore~

I hadn't heard the term, maybe because my hillbilly and redneck family and friends come from areas 1) south -- but definitely hillbilly, and that's what they call themselves and 2) Southwest. Ranching area and mountain towns. I grew up with mostly redneck family, though some I might describe as more "country" than redneck. :) At any rate, I'm really familiar with that mindset. Both my side of the family and my partner's moved back out as soon as they could. Like, 30 minutes from ANYwhere out. They want to be left alone and mind their own business, too. My partner's dad is also the prepper type. He's also from a long line of do-it-yourselfers and try to keep out the law and outsiders if at all possible. Oh--and I totally believe that zip code story! My dad and father in law are the EXACT SAME WAY. And I understand it, because I grew up with it.

So I know where you're coming from. HOWEVER, I will indeed take issue with whatever the heck you're calling "chili." Chili is beans, hot sauce, spices, onions, and ground beef. Maybe some tomatoes. It can go with crackers or cornbread. Never have I ever heard of noodles and chili :thinking: !! "Chile" is something else entirely, that hardly anyone outside my area can understand. :D

Hotdogs with chili and cheese. Extreme tots, tater tots with chili and cheese. Frito pie, fritoes with chili. Burritoes, Muchacos, Fajitas, Homemade tacos. All with chili. Hmm. Hungry now.

Is DS quoted on the subject of security cameras elsewhere? The reason I ask is that I'm not sure how much I trust the DM. According to the article, KR had CCTV cameras set up around his home. What does this mean? His home was a "fifth wheel", correct? Does it also mean other buildings at this location? It is rather interesting that these men had security cameras in the first place. Is this common in such a rural location? Or does it point to them being involved in some illegal activities? Did they know they were involved in something that could possibly put them at risk?

I saw DS say that in his first interview, which can't be found now. Same video where he first mentioned the $1000 strewn over KR's legs.

CCTV - closed circuit tv - Means remote cameras feeding into a central recorder.

KR's home was a fifth-wheel camper.

If any cameras were actually removed, the perps were either a) uniformed about cameras, b) they took game cameras, or c) maybe they thought taking cameras would keep LE from looking for video (in the cloud/internet).

A couple of us thought we could see cameras on top of one of the house trailers.

Cameras are getting to be common everywhere, even if it's just a game camera watching one area.

Is DS quoted on the subject of security cameras elsewhere? The reason I ask is that I'm not sure how much I trust the DM. According to the article, KR had CCTV cameras set up around his home. What does this mean? His home was a "fifth wheel", correct? Does it also mean other buildings at this location? It is rather interesting that these men had security cameras in the first place. Is this common in such a rural location? Or does it point to them being involved in some illegal activities? Did they know they were involved in something that could possibly put them at risk?

It's assumed they had security cameras for personal security and because they were growing marijuana, etc. With their auto repair business, they may have also had expensive tools and equipment, etc.

Well said, mrssmith23. Possible is a far cry from probable. The fewer the facts, the wilder the theories. Goes with the territory, I guess. :)

I don't see any theory that's been put out there as being wild or getting wilder, every one I've read is very possible, unless you know what happened. Please share if you do. :)

It's assumed they had security cameras for personal security and because they were growing marijuana, etc. With their auto repair business, they may have also had expensive tools and equipment, etc.

Well, it does leave open the possibility that the Rhodens had been visited often enough by some unsavory people. Clients? Competitors? Partners? They could definitely have been (at least mildly) concerned for their safety. Then again, the cameras might have been purchased for more benign reasons.

I don't see any theory that's been put out there as being wild or getting wilder, every one I've read is very possible, unless you know what happened. Please share if you do. :)

The bigfoot references are pretty far fetched, IMO.

Sounds like baiting. Please don't. :)

As for the cameras, I can see the pot and the various tools being a big motivator to have them. I know up around my way, power tools are a favorite in the theft to pawn world because they're valuable. I would say he had a lot of stuff that someone might steal.

And, I hate to point fingers, but it is what it is...if Gary still had a heroin issue.....even family can be untrustworthy when addiction is involved. : Sad but true.

ha! You found it, the 70s Ford Pinto at 'that other barn'.

I only "found" it, because I had originally posted it. I had it saved, so trust me, I didn't work too hard to find it. LOL. Besides, I saw your post on the last thread mentioning the pic.

I love both kinds! Cincinnati chili is awesome though! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im not real confident of the rules- Am I allowed to post a link to a photo from SM I believe came from inside this barn from one of the deceased pages?

I would say big foot is getting a bit wild ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like baiting. Please don't. :)

Don't know what you're talking about. I was trying to putting it in a nice way that mods have said not to criticize posters theories even in a round about way when theories are based on facts to the case. This isn't your first time, so please don't. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member