Ohio: East Palestine Train Derailment, Risk of Explosion

steeltowngirl

Reaction score

Hundreds of residents are refusing to leave their homes even though there is a risk of the burning rail cars exploding.

As residents are urged to flee, teams at the site of a burning derailed train in East Palestine, Ohio, are working to prevent a "catastrophic tanker failure" and explosion that could shoot deadly shrapnel up to a mile away, officials said.

"We are at a risk now of a catastrophic failure of that container. ... Measures are being taken to try and control that and prevent that from happening," Drabick said. "This catastrophic failure, if it occurs, it will produce hydrogen chloride and phosgene gas into the atmosphere" and the risk radius around the derailment may grow.

"We need you to leave now," he told some 500 residents who had declined to leave while most of their neighbors evacuated.

I guess I can sympathize with residents, especially if they have pets and possibly livestock (not sure how rural this area is but judging from photos I have seen it looks to be), I hope all people and animals are safe from any toxic fumes. I hope all resources are available for them. It doesn't sound good though.

We live in the same county, about 20 miles away from EP, so hopefully this counts as local, nonspecific information. EP is very rural, low SES, technically part of Appalachia, if that helps to imagine it a little bit. For the most part, this whole area was booming up until roughly the 1970s, when manufacturing facilities and mills started shutting down, thus most of the money left with them. Farms in this area are primarily dairies and produce farms.

There are individuals and businesses all over the county (and I'm sure outside of it too, EP is very close to the PA border) that are offering boarding for pets and horses, and the county fairgrounds is trying to offer up space to house some livestock. I am not familiar enough with the town to know what all is located within the 1 mile evacuation zone. From what I understand, the railroad company is paying for hotel rooms for those evacuated, but there really aren't that many hotels around. So far, information on air and water quality indicate that there has not yet been a chemical threat, although that will change if/when there is an explosion. I've read that people are able to smell chemicals in the air, but officials have attempted to reassure them that they are not yet at toxic levels. As of this morning, roads are closed going into town, so anyone who was not at home when the evacuation was mandated is stuck without their possessions. It's a very frustrating situation all around, but I'm not sure what else the city of EP - and the numerous other agencies involved - could have done or could be doing. To not get residents out of a likely blast zone would certainly be negligent, IMO.

@timelywriter

EAST PALESTINE, Ohio @APAuthorities in Ohio say they plan to release toxic chemicals from five cars of a derailed train in Ohio to reduce the threat of an explosion. Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says a “controlled release” of vinyl chloride will take place on Monday at 3:30 p.m.

This article provides a map of where they anticipate the chemicals released this afternoon will flow. It is expected to affect a relatively small area of EP, and across the PA border. Individuals in the red zone are at risk of death from fume inhalation, with those in the orange zone at risk for severe burns or long-term lung damage. It reads as though officials will make 1 more pass through the households that have previously declined to evacuate prior to the controlled release. They estimate there are around 30 households within those dangerous zones; adults with responsibility of children found in that area are at risk of arrest for child abuse.

On Google maps, I see only a couple farms in the danger zone that look like they may have livestock/large animals.

MOO: there are people who seem, based on their comments on social media, to be refusing to leave their homes primarily because it has been made mandatory to do so. I sincerely hope they change their minds in the next 45 minutes. May we all never be in the position to have to leave our homes, belongings, livestock, and livelihoods to save our lives.

ETA: the derailment occurred late Friday night; even though mandatory evacuation was not issued until yesterday (Sunday), IMO, there has been sufficient time and there are sufficient resources available willing to help residents evacuate. Households have been notified via knocks on their front doors. No one can claim they were unable to get out. Again, IMO.

This article provides a map of where they anticipate the chemicals released this afternoon will flow. It is expected to affect a relatively small area of EP, and across the PA border. Individuals in the red zone are at risk of death from fume inhalation, with those in the orange zone at risk for severe burns or long-term lung damage. It reads as though officials will make 1 more pass through the households that have previously declined to evacuate prior to the controlled release. They estimate there are around 30 households within those dangerous zones; adults with responsibility of children found in that area are at risk of arrest for child abuse.

On Google maps, I see only a couple farms in the danger zone that look like they may have livestock/large animals.

MOO: there are people who seem, based on their comments on social media, to be refusing to leave their homes primarily because it has been made mandatory to do so. I sincerely hope they change their minds in the next 45 minutes. May we all never be in the position to have to leave our homes, belongings, livestock, and livelihoods to save our lives.

ETA: the derailment occurred late Friday night; even though mandatory evacuation was not issued until yesterday (Sunday), IMO, there has been sufficient time and there are sufficient resources available willing to help residents evacuate. Households have been notified via knocks on their front doors. No one can claim they were unable to get out. Again, IMO.
Appreciate all of your information.

“We are ordering you to leave. This is a matter of life and death,” DeWine said at a press conference. Anyone who remains in the immediate area faces “grave danger of death” if they inhale the fumes.

apparently, it’s all planned, the fires and explosions. Explains why they wanted everybody out and evacuated the area.
Well...kind of. The events today were a controlled release and burn of the chemicals in a handful of train cars that derailed Friday night. There's been a fire since the derailment, mandatory evacuation since Sunday due to concerns over explosions (chemicals, shrapnel), and then today they initiated the controlled release in order to prevent worse and less predictable damage that would occur if the tanks were left to explode on their own.

Local news is reporting that the controlled release was considered successful, but that the evacuation order remains indefinitely. I have not read of any injuries or fatalities, human or otherwise, yet.

The NTSB has confirmed that a problem with a freight car axle is the culprit. Exactly which car had the defect remains to be determined:
NTSB member Michael Graham said at a news conference that the three-member train crew received a detector alert about the mechanical defect “shortly before the derailment,” but said the Board was still working to determine which railcar experienced the problem. He said investigators identified the exact “point of derailment,” but did not disclose the location. He added that information will be included in a preliminary report expected in the next month or so.

(Railway Age is the top trade journal for the North American rail industry.)

How railcar defects are detected in motion:
ETA: successfully got the 1st link to expand

Last edited:

Ohio catastrophe is ‘wake-up call’ to dangers of deadly train derailments​

The next derailment ‘could be cataclysmic’ if action isn’t taken after the incident near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border, says expert

Five days after a train carrying vinyl chloride derailed and exploded near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border, crews ignited a controlled burn of toxic chemicals to prevent a much more dangerous explosion.

Thousands in East Palestine, a town of about 5,000 people, evacuated, and officials warned the controlled burn would create a phosgene and hydrogen chloride plume across the region. Phosgene is a highly toxic gas that can cause vomiting and breathing trouble, and was used as a weapon in the first world war.

Though no one died in the accident, the catastrophe serves as a wake-up call to the potential for more deadly freight rail derailments, public health advocates warn. By one estimate, 25 million Americans live in an oil train blast zone, and had the derailment occurred just a few miles east, it would be burning in downtown Pittsburgh, with tens of thousands of residents in immediate danger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back