OK OK - Jamison Family: Truck, IDs and Dog Found Abandoned, Latimer Co, 8 Oct 2009 - #13

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a long time.
I was thinking the last thing LE said was all three of them must have laid down side by side on the opposite side of the mountain from their truck and accidentally succumbed to hypothermia.
That's one big reason this case has never been solved in the minds of some of us WS posters.

It has been a long time.
I was thinking the last thing LE said was all three of them must have laid down side by side on the opposite side of the mountain from their truck and accidentally succumbed to hypothermia.
That's one big reason this case has never been solved in the minds of some of us WS posters.
What about the mysterious hole on Bobs skull?

It has been a long time.
Why not get in the truck for extra protection from the cold ?
Sorry if this was already discussed at length.

I need to catch up, and will peruse this thread later.
Have watched a few documentaries, but at WS one really gets the in-depth information.

Ten years ago today, wow. What a terrible tragedy. I hope it is soon determined what happened to this family and the person(s) responsible are held accountable. MOO

I wish that would be so too, but now I believe LE closed the file after the remains were found and are no longer interested in investigating the case.

So many angles to this, but can't get away from the fact they had a lot of cash with them and that's the clincher IMO. No one really buys property with cash, or even likes to drive around with it, so surely it was for drugs, and this was meth country. The property purchase was a cover story for the money just in case they were searched and why they were in the area. They might even have considered to get a property for real as a cover for future drug runs, who knows, but it's simply not realistic to give up a nice lake side house to live in a steel container shell in the middle of the woods with a kid.

Half of the cash from an insurance settlement was in a briefcase, and the rest was under the seat in the car. The perps didn't forget about the cash in the car, they just didn't know it was there, but they did get the half that was in the briefcase.

The Jamisons, talking to locals made sure they were told the story about their intent to buy land so no one would get suspicious that they would be hanging around the area for days. They took photos of different well site signs as one of those would be the meeting place. And hanging around they were. When they finally found the well site meeting place (communications with dealers by voice mail?), they were just loitering there, painting graffiti on abandoned wrecks and going for small hikes when Madyson got too restless. The photo of her on one of their small hikes showed she was well fed up of it, and the nervousness of the parents had surely rubbed off on her so she knew something was up and wanted to go home. They were obviously waiting for something, and it was for a deal.

Soon enough it came, and they were told to leave their phones in the car so as not to be tracked and come with the dealers. They did that, locked their truck, and got in the dealers' vehicle, probably carrying the briefcase with the money and Sherilynn's gun. The dealers soon realized these people could not to be trusted an inch bringing a kid with them - or never planned to in the first place - and with a $32K bonus decided to waste them. They therefore made up a story that the stash or lab was somewhere in the woods just in here (in the most remote and least visited place not even searchers would find, proving their local knowledge), and after a little hike forced them to lie down on their stomachs and slit their throats. They then covered them up so they wouldn't be found in a hurry which obviously worked very well.

So many angles to this, but can't get away from the fact they had a lot of cash with them and that's the clincher IMO. No one really buys property with cash, or even likes to drive around with it, so surely it was for drugs, and this was meth country. The property purchase was a cover story for the money just in case they were searched and why they were in the area. They might even have considered to get a property for real as a cover for future drug runs, who knows, but it's simply not realistic to give up a nice lake side house to live in a steel container shell in the middle of the woods with a kid.

Half of the cash from an insurance settlement was in a briefcase, and the rest was under the seat in the car. The perps didn't forget about the cash in the car, they just didn't know it was there, but they did get the half that was in the briefcase.

The Jamisons, talking to locals made sure they were told the story about their intent to buy land so no one would get suspicious that they would be hanging around the area for days. They took photos of different well site signs as one of those would be the meeting place. And hanging around they were. When they finally found the well site meeting place (communications with dealers by voice mail?), they were just loitering there, painting graffiti on abandoned wrecks and going for small hikes when Madyson got too restless. The photo of her on one of their small hikes showed she was well fed up of it, and the nervousness of the parents had surely rubbed off on her so she knew something was up and wanted to go home. They were obviously waiting for something, and it was for a deal.

Soon enough it came, and they were told to leave their phones in the car so as not to be tracked and come with the dealers. They did that, locked their truck, and got in the dealers' vehicle, probably carrying the briefcase with the money and Sherilynn's gun. The dealers soon realized these people could not to be trusted an inch bringing a kid with them - or never planned to in the first place - and with a $32K bonus decided to waste them. They therefore made up a story that the stash or lab was somewhere in the woods just in here (in the most remote and least visited place not even searchers would find, proving their local knowledge), and after a little hike forced them to lie down on their stomachs and slit their throats. They then covered them up so they wouldn't be found in a hurry which obviously worked very well.

Hi Meffy,
Welcome to WS and to this thread.
It was good to see it bumped up again.

I like your theory about the death of the Jamisons. It is well laid out and ties up a lot of strings. Slitting their throats would not have been detected by the ME after four years.

However, the Jamisons were apparently skittish about banks and were know to carry large sums of money around with them even before they went to the mountain. Some people do deal with cash and even a handshake. The money itself was awarded in a law suit to them. I can't remember now, but it seems like several of the phone calls they made were to the owner who had the property for sale.

The drug theory in various forms is one of several theories that have been discussed throughout the threads.

Welcome again to WS. Hope to see more of your posts.

Jamison family deaths - Wikipedia

Thanks.

Yes the money was from a lawsuit, not insurance settlement. I actually knew that, don't know why I wrote wrong.

No doubt the phone calls about the property sale(s) were real. Setting up a good cover story with a few phone calls to a real property seller was not much of a hassle with so much at stake (years in jail and loss of custody), but like I said before, maybe they were actually wanting a plot of land as a cover for doing more runs in the future, and even enjoyed the idea of having a place there.

Nice theory, definitely the best drug related one I've heard. This is the one case that makes no sense to me and I genuinely don't know what happened. I go back and forth all the time. There's so much evidence but they all contradict each other. As for the drugs, it makes sense that they would get in the dealers car and leave their phones. That would explain how they were found so far away from their car, or hell, maybe the bodies were moved there.

I still don't quite get the motive though. I don't know much about the drug scene but I'm not sure why them bringing a kid would cause them not to be trusted (as customers, not as parents, clearly if this is true they couldn't be trusted as parents). If anything it shows how desperate they were, that they didn't even try to leave Madyson behind. Of course, she could have been killed as a witness. Still, the money in the car throws me off of every drug dealing theory. What could've gone so wrong if they had that much cash with them? Why wouldn't the killer(s) then check the car for their belongings? Too risky maybe, or maybe they didn't know and have any reason to assume the Jamison's would have that much money in there. But I'd imagine if they were threatened they'd have mentioned the cash as a bargaining chip for their lives. I just feel like if it was a drug deal gone wrong, someone would have checked their car and found the cash. No one would probably even know it was missing since no one seems to understand why it was there in the first place.

Interested to hear your thoughts! It's not very often I see other people discussing this case, when it's the most interesting to me.

They were meth-heads, but as well all know, people get killed for much less than $32K. Maybe they were not even dealers, but just scammers pretending to be dealers who suckered the obviously out of touch Jamisons into believing they'll get a huge batch of meth on the first contact, which was quite naive of them and extremely dangerous if you think about it. (bring your bag of tens of thousands and let's meet up in the middle of nowhere).

After all, how did Bobby manage to contact anybody for such a big a deal on their first try? Who did he know up there? One could ask if the contact was the racist lodger who had lived with them some months earlier, and who Sherilynn had threatened with a gun. It would explain the brutality of it (killing children) as he certainly had a revenge motive as well, and obviously hated non-whites.

About the money in the car, the perps didn't know about it, and no one would risk leaving DNA or prints at the car just for a random check after a triple murder. About using the remaining money as a bargaining chip, I bet they were slashed almost before they knew what was going on so they wouldn't start screaming and attract attention.

Last edited:
They were meth-heads, but as well all know, people get killed for much less than $32K. Maybe they were not even dealers, but just scammers pretending to be dealers who suckered the obviously out of touch Jamisons into believing they'll get a huge batch of meth on the first contact, which was quite naive of them and extremely dangerous if you think about it. (bring your bag of tens of thousands and let's meet up in the middle of nowhere).

After all, how did Bobby manage to contact anybody for such a big a deal on their first try? Who did he know up there? One could ask if the contact was the racist lodger who had lived with them some months earlier, and who Sherilynn had threatened with a gun. It would explain the brutality of it (killing children) as he certainly had a revenge motive as well, and obviously hated non-whites.

About the money in the car, the perps didn't know about it, and no one would risk leaving DNA or prints at the car just for a random check after a triple murder. About using the remaining money as a bargaining chip, I bet they were slashed almost before they knew what was going on so they wouldn't start screaming and attract attention.
It’s been a while since I read through this thread. Where is the source that they are meth heads? Here at WS, you have to back up your posts with sources if you state something as fact.

I'm answering a question about the dealer's motive. That they were crazy meth-heads who didn't act rationally and would paranoidally think the only safe way to get away with robbing someone of $32K was to kill them all, including a child.

But come to that, the Jamisons were also likely meth heads judging from the surveillance video from their house, and why they would be in meth country looking for a deal. A lot of nutty and paranoid behavior from them to back that up too. (asking a priest for ghost-bullets etc)

Last edited:
Hi all, I followed this case long ago but nowhere near as closely as you all did. It's not too surprising that it hasn't been solved, given the amount of time that passed before the bodies were found. I lean towards either accidental death or foul play, not murder-suicide. I am not of the opinion that "hole in the skull" is a) definitive and b) an indication of foul play since it was never verified by LE. It certainly would have been in the autopsy report.

As far as accidental death from hypothermia after getting lost, I would have to go back to the earlier threads to see if any of our Verified Trackers or SAR dog experts ever weighed in on this case, but I do remember quite clearly that one of them said that it is very common when people get lost for them to be not that far from the point where they started out, especially in terrain without clear landmarks, because they tend to walk in circles without really realizing it. And also not at all unusual for bodies to be missed in searches. It's also possible that the remains were much more hidden, and that over time animals scattered them or moved them from their hiding place. Although I do admit it would be unusual for all of them to be found together still then.

I remember being really suspect of the father, who seemed like a vindictive and evil old man, but to me much more suspicious are the supposed land owners they were meeting with. Perhaps they were on the phone with them for such a long time because they were being directed where to go to meet up, etc. Leaving the dog in the car to me indicates they thought it would be a quick meeting. They were told to bring cash, maybe instructed to leave the phone in the truck, etc. If it's true that there was another briefcase containing additional cash that has never been found, then foul play while leaving the rest of the money in the truck makes sense. We have seen other cases where people selling a car, or buying something have been killed for the item or the money. I don't know how much we know about the land owners, what is known about the content of the call which could speak to state of mind, or whether they were ever investigated.

Time for me to go back and catch up on the known facts!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
astridAnthony
Back